Can't Access HDT .DLL Files At All

Hey there. I tried to find a solution to this problem on the HDT website some time back, but so far nothing has worked.

I run windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

For some reason, I'm unable to access any version of HDT after 7-22 with absolutely anything, SKSE included. Hell, I even have trouble extracting them without my PC blocking it. It doesn't matter how much I fiddle with the security settings. Running it in Administrator. Every result is the same: Access Denied.

Trying to load it up in Skyrim nets SKSE's log simply saying "HDTsoandso Not Loaded."

I heard it might be an OS issue. I'm not sure what it means. I know for a fact I'm not reinstalling Windows just to have some freeform jiggling in Skyrim, but I'd very much appreciate some other work-around. 7-22 is pretty bare-bones, no collision or addons. It also tends to jitter like crazy when moving around.

• 4 weeks later...

Oop, forgot to respond. >_<

Unlocker claims there's no locking handle on the file. The latest version still borks out on me. I should mention that versions 7-22 and below work fine, but none of the addons are compatible with it.... and it's maybe a bit too jiggly for my liking. :P

• 1 month later...

Well this is just frustrating as all hell. There's no reason it shouldn't work. I have administrator permission. The steam folder is outside program files. Not that it matters since I can't even access the .dll to extract it by dragging it out of the zip folder. Makes me wonder if there's some registry or driver shenanigans going on.

Again, I can use 7-22. Is there anything anyone can think of that was changed between that version and later versions which would cause a problem like this?

I don't think compress/uncompress dll will have anything to do with accessiblity.

ANY file can have accesability issues.

Well this is just frustrating as all hell. There's no reason it shouldn't work. I have administrator permission. The steam folder is outside program files. Not that it matters since I can't even access the .dll to extract it by dragging it out of the zip folder. Makes me wonder if there's some registry or driver shenanigans going on.

Again, I can use 7-22. Is there anything anyone can think of that was changed between that version and later versions which would cause a problem like this?

there is a reason, we just have not found it yet.

Any antivirus software on your system?

Also i found out that ANY OS above windows vista has the "unblock" thing, so if your re-downloaded files do not have this than windows/any antivirus programs do not trust you enough to let you use them properly.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes. I've tried using it with both programs on and off, with no change.

EDIT: Tried using the "take ownership" shortcut, to no avail.

Here's what I can do with the .dll files currently without a permission error:

1: Extract from a .zip using 7zip's built in extract button. I cannot drag the files manually from the .zip.

2: Cut and paste or drag the file from one area of my PC to another. I cannot copy the file.

3: Delete the file.

4: View and change settings in the properties tab.

Everything else nets me the "you need permission" error, and asks me to try again.

Ill be honest with you "Microsoft Security Essentials" is garbage, i highly recommend removing it.

remove > re-download >re-try.

No intelligent antivirus would block a .dll file without giving you any sort of warning... that's why you have got none...

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes. I've tried using it with both programs on and off, with no change.

EDIT: Tried using the "take ownership" shortcut, to no avail.

Here's what I can do with the .dll files currently without a permission error:

1: Extract from a .zip using 7zip's built in extract button. I cannot drag the files manually from the .zip.

2: Cut and paste or drag the file from one area of my PC to another. I cannot copy the file.

3: Delete the file.

4: View and change settings in the properties tab.

Everything else nets me the "you need permission" error, and asks me to try again.

This sounds a bit like after a 7zip problem.

If 7zip is installed correctly, have the right mouse button always the 7zip menu item.

In Folders, files and archives. Depending on what you click with the right mouse button, it's a different context menu.

Files in 7zip drag with the left mouse button.

May not be linked to the correct application on your OS zip file extension.

I would re-install 7zip - with Admin rights.