Female Feet - WIP

Phygit, i know you have worked hard on this and i do like the result but i have one thing to point out as it will have evaded your detection.

the Uv mapping for All races with tails will be completely shot to pieces by the Large Uv area you have allocated to feet in your textures. tails are contained within the body textures of argonian and khajiit. your Uv mapping area expands way into the area that is used by beast races so all beast races have no compatibility with this mod. the Uv allocation in the thor/2pac bodies are much more usable as the mapping for feet do not encroach into the allocated Tail area. please compare your uv mapping to that of khajiit/argonian and you will see the massive amount of tail texture being forced onto the feet.

if you can fix your uv mapping i will make textures for your current uv-mapping but right now that is impossible without fully remapping the tail and there isnt enough room to do that. simple way to fix this is to just push your feet Uv mapping further into the corner and then it will be compatible with all races not just humanoids.

Phygit' date=' i know you have worked hard on this and i do like the result but i have one thing to point out as it will have evaded your detection.

the Uv mapping for All races with tails will be completely shot to pieces by the Large Uv area you have allocated to feet in your textures. tails are contained within the body textures of argonian and khajiit. your Uv mapping area expands way into the area that is used by beast races so all beast races have no compatibility with this mod. the Uv allocation in the thor/2pac bodies are much more usable as the mapping for feet do not encroach into the allocated Tail area. please compare your uv mapping to that of khajiit/argonian and you will see the massive amount of tail texture being forced onto the feet.

if you can fix your uv mapping i will make textures for your current uv-mapping but right now that is impossible without fully remapping the tail and there isnt enough room to do that. simple way to fix this is to just push your feet Uv mapping further into the corner and then it will be compatible with all races not just humanoids.

[/quote']

D'oh! Indeed, since I have not really messed with the Khajit / Argonian races, I failed to look at their maps to account for (notice) the tails. Thanks for pointing this out! I'll get a fix posted ASAP.

D'oh! Indeed' date=' since I have not really messed with the Khajit / Argonian races, I failed to look at their maps to account for (notice) the tails. Thanks for pointing this out! I'll get a fix posted ASAP.[/quote']

I have not looked at other races too. Otherwise I would have mentioned it. When I added the feet UV, I scaled to the legs and stuck it in the corner 'just in case'. I have a habit of doing this because you never know when you might want to add something else.

I have posted an update (v2.0)... note that:

The UV-mapping has changed!!

...watshisface pointed out that I failed to account for the Khajit / Argonian "tail" mapping (the feet uv-mapping spilled over top of the tail uv-mapping). This update fixes that, but will (likely) break any existing textures that were built for the v1.0 version.

I also made the big toe a bit slimmer.

Ooh ooh ooh! I just worked out what UV mapping is!

Just to help clarify...

Meshes are made up of vertices (points in 3d space) connected by facets/polygons that describe the surface shape of the mesh...

There is a separate process / set of data needed to tell the software how to apply bitmap / textures to those polygons, which is known as UV-mapping. This data is a '2D' (unwrapped, flattened out) representation of the polygons (see black lines in attached image), that tells the software where to get extract pixels from the bitmap for each polygon.

So.. in this case, when I uv-mapped the feet mesh, I (inadvertently) overlapped the non-human race 'tail' uv-polygons with the feet uv-polygons... this (v2.0) update fixes the problem (the attached image is of the default female mesh body and foot uv-mapping - not my updated foot mapping, though it uses almost exactly the same area now).

...watshisface pointed out that I failed to account for the Khajit / Argonian "tail" mapping (the feet uv-mapping spilled over top of the tail uv-mapping). This update fixes that' date=' but will (likely) break any existing textures that were built for the v1.0 version.

[/left']

lovely, thank you for this phygit. may i contain your feet meshes within my texture packs and give you credit for them as they will be heavily reliant on the meshes to work correctly? as i make so many variants of textures it would be alot easier for me to package them together with the feet meshes rather than making 11 different link refferences to your feet. Pm me about your reply please :)

thanks

watshisface x

...watshisface pointed out that I failed to account for the Khajit / Argonian "tail" mapping (the feet uv-mapping spilled over top of the tail uv-mapping). This update fixes that' date=' but will (likely) break any existing textures that were built for the v1.0 version.

[/left']

lovely, thank you for this phygit. may i contain your feet meshes within my texture packs and give you credit for them as they will be heavily reliant on the meshes to work correctly? as i make so many variants of textures it would be alot easier for me to package them together with the feet meshes rather than making 11 different link refferences to your feet. Pm me about your reply please :)

thanks

watshisface x

Let me just reply here, because my answer will apply to others as well...

First off, keep in mind that my answer/thoughts are based on "what I think would be the best solution, with the least confusion" for end-users.

My concerns are...

• the uv-mapping is now set in stone (as far as I can foresee) - so your textures should work with the current and (likely) all future updates - but there could be updates to the rigging/weighting or even shaping in the future, so are you planning to update all of your files any time I do? Why add that dependency?
  • what if someone already has my (latest) foot mod (enhanced weighting/shaping/whatever) then they install your mod, overwriting the 'better' feet they already had installed?
  • you'd also get various other 'support' type questions directed at you ("When I wear Falmer boots, it uses the old feet...", "You going to make male feet?", etc). Why not just point them to my mod (where I'm building a FAQ to cover those questions)?

With the above (food for thought) in mind, my current thought is - I don't really have a problem with you doing it. If that's what you (or anyone else) decide you really want to do, you can:

• download my mod.
  • include the "Data\mesh\..." (the .nif files) folder within your mod (taking responsibility for documenting any installation/un-installation details necessary).
  • In your readme and in your posted mod description (just once in each case), include a note/credit of: Foot mesh compliments of "FemFeet - by Phygit" mod (version X.X), used with permission.

...you don't need to do that last thing in color, I just hi-lighted it to show the wording I wanted :). Of course you should also replace the "X.X" with whatever version of the feet you are including with your mod.

Either way, let me know when you have something ready and I'll add a link to it.

Cheers.

Few new pictures of Phygit's feet mesh with some basic feet textures 'not finished product'

i do have one thing to point out right now tho, the feet mesh are both the same scale so unless your body is set to minimum scale feet have large seams. im sure there will be inconsistencies between one body to the next so its nothing that cant be worked out 'body specific' but they do look nice and im happy with how they move

Few new pictures of Phygit's feet mesh with some basic feet textures 'not finished product'

Nice - though it looks like the normal map got lo-rez'd (or is maybe using too-small-a-mip-map' date=' which the engine sometimes does).

i do have one thing to point out right now tho, the feet mesh are both the same scale so unless your body is set to minimum scale feet have large seams. im sure there will be inconsistencies between one body to the next so its nothing that cant be worked out 'body specific' but they do look nice and im happy with how they move

Oh? dang... I have both sizes (in model form), but Caliente did the rigging this time and there must have been a mix-up somewhere. I need to get some sleep, but I'll see if I can manage to fix it later today.

EDIT: Hmm... I just checked in game and both _0 and _1 .nifs are 2 different sizes (as they should be). Did you copy them both in?

EDIT #2: Ok, after looking more closely, both scales are definately present and being used, but there also does appear to be a small gap when the heavy (_1) setting is used. I'll see if I can figure it out after I get some sleep - thanks for the report.

ill give it some more tests and see what happens with caliente's body :) no rush tho so dont worry about it phygit

If I recall correctly, I think I actually used Caliente's heavy body to do the vertex line-up, but... I dunno, I'm off to dream about it :).

Just a quick update...

I found the problem in the .obj file mesh itself. I think I did actually use Caliente's body mesh to line up the vertices around the leg opening - but I should have used the default feet for that (which I'd done for the _0 mesh...). So that fix was easy enough.

I then spent all day (well, since I woke up 7-8 hours ago) wrestling with Blender, trying to get the .nif conversion done (it's not that complicated a process - Blender's UI just plain sucks).

Anyway, I'm getting close - the seam (gap) is gone, but the feet 'disapear' at the fullest 'heavy' setting (ie. when the game quits morphing the _0 mesh and just switches to the _1 mesh). I'm sure it's just some shader/uv/material/visibility property not being set right - I'll find it.

Nice - though it looks like the normal map got lo-rez'd (or is maybe using too-small-a-mip-map' date=' which the engine sometimes does).

[/quote']

the msn was lower resolution than the textures i work with so i have been increasing your msn resolution to make it match up with my feet textures better. will look considerably less blocky shortly

I then spent all day (well' date=' since I woke up 7-8 hours ago) wrestling with Blender, trying to get the .nif conversion done (it's [u']not[/u] that complicated a process - Blender's UI just plain sucks).

i like blenders ui :s

It's a prime example of "design by committee" :)... or maybe I'm just an old fart, set in his ways (also likely). One of my biggest issues - prior to finding the 'outline' window - was the lack of any sort of scene-graph... it's starting to make a little more sense now.

just noticed the lines down the edge of the feet are un-removable right now as even with the provided textures for feet they appear, i have tried changing the base and msn textures and they will not dissapear so it looks like the textures i make will have to do for now. when all seams are worked out ill completely update them but as its a wip dont expect them to dissapear overnight people :)

just noticed the lines down the edge of the feet are un-removable right now as even with the provided textures for feet they appear' date=' i have tried changing the base and msn textures and they will not dissapear so it looks like the textures i make will have to do for now. when all seams are worked out ill completely update them but as its a wip dont expect them to dissapear overnight people :)

[/quote']

lol I don't mean any disrespect, but just because you don't have the skill to do something doesn't mean it can't be done...

irFOZaIFK08FA.jpg

It's just like the seams in all your other textures.

The biggest advice I can give you, is stop trying to fix seams in a 2d painting application. It's a nightmare and will take you forever.

Get a 3d painting app... Blender (completely free), or later versions of Photoshop can do it (I still do the 3d painting in Blender), then just smudge across the seams until they're gone, then take it back into Photoshop and make any final adjustments.