Is it me or is the current era Dragonborn just nonchalant about everything?

nafeasonto

Is it me or is this Dragonborn just nonchalant about everything.

He finds out he is the Dragonborn and is like "Okay. Whatever."

"Oh you want me to join the Dark Brotherhood? okay."

"Your a God that hates the undead and will give me a cool sword and want me to clear out an entire undungeon of undead? Alright no prolem, yeah yeah, you're my lord, all that jazz."

"Oh you want me to become a Vampire with cool abilities, eh why not go for it."

"Okay so you want me to join the thieves guild, become a nightangle, sware my alleigence to a Goddess, and THAN you can tell me what this unusual gem is? Fuck it, let's go."

He is just so passive about everything, he isn't afraid, excited, has no fear nothing. 

Does this make this guy just unique or something?

He isn't always like that! At times, he makes witty, caring or zealous remarks about things. I think it's more about how you visualize him in your head. Like when my character intimidates someone, I visualize her pressing the heel of her boots against that person's shoulder or push him toward the wall with dagger to his throat. RPG games like these are partly what you see visually and what you see in your mind. You have to have some level of imagination to fully experience the wonder RPG games like Skyrim.

Though I also speculate you might mean facial expressions. Well, those can be a bit creepy when get stuck. For example, when I volunteered to help someone in Kingdoms of Amalur, my characters face was stricken with a silly smile. Running, smile! Fighting, smile! Talking to someone, smile! Well, may be the last one isn't that creepy. :P

There are certain times where you say 'Oh, come on!' so I get the jist.

Bethesda isn't really known for its top-notch writing; it's known for creating huge, immersive sandbox worlds to go crazy in.

When they do go ahead and try to script things and add more character-driven story, it turns out like the Thieves guild quest... that is to say, poorly-written and annoying. I often wish Bethesda could find a way to make its stories as open as the rest of the world, but I bet that's way easier said than done. :)

With mods you have to make your own story and difficulty plenty of those around where you have to struggle staying alive and become a hero.

Vanilla skyrim sucks major only positive thing is its an open world where you have the freedom to do whatever you want thats about it.

MODS is where the game realy shines(could still be improved alot tho but at least it give us alot more)

If only Obisidian were to get their hands on Skyrim...

The story and game play would be 50% better, along with the fact that they'd make it an actual RPG but the game would crash 50% more often. :dodgy:

Obsidian is one of my favorite companies, but I'm still licking my wounds from Kotor 2 and FONV.

If only Obisidian were to get their hands on Skyrim...

The story and game play would be 50% better, along with the fact that they'd make it an actual RPG but the game would crash 50% more often. :dodgy:

Obsidian is one of my favorite companies, but I'm still licking my wounds from Kotor 2 and FONV.

Funnily enough, FONV hardly crashed for me. But then again, I only found out about it when it was finally abandoned and everything was patched up.

As far as I know, it's not actually Bethesda's or Obsidian's fault for the games being notoriously crashy; the same engine has been used since Morrowind, albeit heavily modified. 'Tis all Gamebryo. Skyrim/Fallout/Oblivion may have a different surface, but the foundations are the same as Morrowind's.

And yeah, I really enjoyed Fallout NV's storyline. Actually found the side quests fun as well. Can't say the same for Fallout 3, Oblivion (to a minor extent; haven't played much of it) and Skyrim.

I wonder if going back to a text-based dialogue interface would cause the games to increase in quality; more time spent on dialogue/story/everything-else as well as more money being available to those sections of the game. Voice actors can earn a pretty damn big penny.

I'll stop myself before I go on about Bethesda hiring big-name VAs.

Seems like 2 parts cop out, 2 parts player imagination free will, ? parts something I don't know.

If our characters had too much personality within the game, it might harm the personalized character creation on our end, but at the same time seems like an easy way out on the dev's end to put out some lackluster stories and developments.

Part of character's developments in stories, are also how they play off of another character, and if they've just been interacting with your created character majority of the time, it'd be really tough to flesh out a character's development. As, we can make detailed quirks and it wouldn't possible for a game's engine to respond 100% uniquely to each and every one of our own.

Sometimes, I just don't get it.

On one hand, it seems like Bethesda is genius in that it looks seemingly difficult to make a world that can have this much immersion possibility, while remaining so freaking generic and uninspired. 

On the other hand, it starts to look purposely done, and if it wasn't, then the replay value might have been long gone, as we'd have exhausted many things. Whereas, how the game is now, if your imagination is strong, there's always things to do within game - and as for anything fully detailed and fleshed out, mods can do it. 

If the vanilla game was fleshed out and detailed, it might influence too much, or not provide a proper foundation to be built upon. It would just be holding our hands when it came to imagination, the personalities of even our own characters would just be built into the game and possibilities would eventually run dry.

Although, when I look at the game's combat, it feels like a straight up cop out and nothing else. Which makes me question the other parts of the game at times.

What I do know, is that I've been playing this game on and off since day 1(never did Dragonborn storyline, Companion's Guild, or Civil War).

I've never played or beat any of the main quest. Just started doing some if it about two months ago. And as of yesterday just made it past "a blade in the dark". I kill all daedric fanatics and tell all daedric princes to stay in hell. And don't serve them except nocturnal, my character screws her on a regular basis.

wish there was a mod to enslave daedric princes. And a mod where someone else is drahonborn and you become travel mates during the main quest. So far I'm acting that out in my current play through (Two DragonBorn).

If there is an option to "remain silent" yep I do. If there is a punk ass reply I back out of that and hope the quest posts anyway, which it usually does.

All in how you play but yes, The Dragonborn I'd say is an unusal daedric pawn badass servant whipping boy (or girl).

I personally would have preferred if the entire "Dragonborn" storyline was optional. It's more attractive a self made hero than a natural born demigod.

F**k the Dragonborn.

Well sure there's that element of lucking into the Dragonborn bloodline thing, but the other hand you can always claim that the Dragonborn does earn badass status by kicking Miraak's or Alduin's ass - after all, while you are technically a demigod, you start the game as a kind of sucky impoverished one that couldn't possibly hope to kill Alduin or Miraak (Or Harkon for that matter). You begin as a lousy demigod, and then make yourself into a badass demigod, so at least there's still that element of self-madeness.

Unfortunately there are no consequences for your actions except Dawnguard where you actually have to choose a side. The things that get me is I can join the Dark Brotherhood, kill the Emperor then join the Legion and no one bats an eye or that everyone in Skyrim knows who I am and everything I have done and don't care. While I like the sheer number of quests available you would think someone would tell you not to bother and go away.

Unfortunately there are no consequences for your actions except Dawnguard where you actually have to choose a side. The things that get me is I can join the Dark Brotherhood, kill the Emperor then join the Legion and no one bats an eye or that everyone in Skyrim knows who I am and everything I have done and don't care. While I like the sheer number of quests available you would think someone would tell you not to bother and go away.

Yeah there's always to option to just not do them and walk away, but even then there aren't usually alternatives - if you think the thieves' guild is dumb and full of thieves, who your character wouldn't like, there's no option to just burn down the hall like with the dark brotherhood.

He isn't always like that! At times, he makes witty, caring or zealous remarks about things. I think it's more about how you visualize him in your head. Like when my character intimidates someone, I visualize her pressing the heel of her boots against that person's shoulder or push him toward the wall with dagger to his throat. RPG games like these are partly what you see visually and what you see in your mind. You have to have some level of imagination to fully experience the wonder RPG games like Skyrim.

Though I also speculate you might mean facial expressions. Well, those can be a bit creepy when get stuck. For example, when I volunteered to help someone in Kingdoms of Amalur, my characters face was stricken with a silly smile. Running, smile! Fighting, smile! Talking to someone, smile! Well, may be the last one isn't that creepy. :P

There are certain times where you say 'Oh, come on!' so I get the jist.

but then you have not played a lot of RPG's!

I remember back a few years, as "morrowind appeared" because all the NPC still had a very good mimic! one of you liked smiled at you quite fond if one was mad at you, then you have seen that in his face. mimic this in oblivion was already significantly less. But what I think is the worst of all is the one in skyrim has no decision-making freedom. you have only the possibility of yes or no, I "do it" or "I do not do it." for this reason, there were two games that I have played a lot better, it was "dragon age origins" and "dragon age 2". play in these two there was a much larger selection of decision options, the dialogues were more advanced than in any other game.

I hope it's all understandable, I have written the text with translators, sorry!

german \ deutsch !

dann hast du aber noch nicht sehr viele RPG's gespielt !

ich erinner mich nur ein paar jahre zurück , als "morrowind erschien" da hatten noch alle NPC eine sehr gute mimik ! einer der dich mochte hat dich ganz lieb angelächelt , wenn einer auf dich wütend war , dann hat man daß in seinem gesicht gesehen . in oblivion wurde diese mimik schon bedeutend weniger . aber was ich am allerschlimmsten finde , ist das man in skyrim keine entscheidungsfreiheit hat . du hast nur die möglichkeit ja oder nein , ich "tue es" oder "ich tue es nicht" . aus diesem grund gab es zwei spiele die ich viel lieber gespielt habe , es war "dragon age origins" und "dragon age 2" . in diesen beiden spielen gab es eine viel größere auswahl von entscheidungsmöglichkeiten , die dialoge waren ausgereifter als in jeden anderen spiel .

ich hoffe es ist alles verständlich , ich habe den text mit übersetzer geschrieben , sorry !

To compare Dragon Age with Skyrim is like to compare apples with oranges. When you have played both games, you see they focused on different things. Skyrim is, hands down, exceptional in bringing a huge world to explore and bringing you an immersive feeling of the world. The whole interactions you will explore between different NPC's and between NPC's and you are really nice and add alot to this world.

Dragon Age on the other hand brings exceptional story writing, well-written party banters, innovative quest stories and romances. But you never feel like you are part of this world. You mostly interact with quest givers and that's it. You are strictly bound the quests and can't do much else.

My Dragonborn carries a LOT of wine around with them. With the realistic needs and diseases mod, the beginning of every new faction quest is glimpsed though a swirling pattern of double vision and falling over being sick.

I figured that's what I'd do in the real world if this was happening to me.

Wine, the cure to all life's problems.

Archived