IGNORED

What Keeps Skyrim from being a GREAT Game

What Keeps Skyrim from being a GREAT Game "STEAM" That What!!!!!!

Achievements How gives a CRAP!

STEAM Just Drages the Game Down till you can allmost "NOT" play it!

New Patch Locks Skyrim to Steam Forever and Ever!:

When id Software released the first patch for RAGE on the PC, it seemed to calm the natives furious over several launch issues. Bethesda, on the other hand, launched its first update for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim for the PC and apparently created even more problems than before. In fact, it has reportedly locked the game's executable to Valve's Steam service forever and ever, preventing the just-released RPG from running on its own.

Lack of diversity with enemies/gear. Only 7/8 armor types to use (half that if you are committed to light/heavy armor) and dungeons that are filled with Spiders/bandits/Falmer/Draugr. Oh and that there are only a handful of weapon types, wword/axe/mace/dagger/bow. Using a sword over using a mace doesn't feel much different aside from attack speed. Two handed or dual wield is a change but not as drastic as it should be.

I just feel that I'm static in a diverse world. I applaud them for the unique look of the world and the much improved dungeons but they have looked at certain aspects of the game and just said "nope, we never need to improve on those things, we'll just leave the same handful of armors, weapons, and enemies in the game but just make everything else around them look pretty"

I love this game in so many ways and really appreciate all the attention and detail, I just feel that they could have gone so much further and really advanced the game in many ways over the one they made so many years ago. There is a reason that armor and weapons are the most downloaded mods outside of new quests and thats because in a game that spans so many hours, days, weeks, and months for one playthrough, people tend to want to freshen things up from time to time. I guess I'm just starting to reach my threshold where I want some mods to inject into the game to diversify the experience, what can I say I got spoiled with all the Oblivion mods but I know that time will come with this game and I'll fall in love with it all over again.

In my opinion the worst implemented areas in the game are the followers (who are as interesting as bricks)' date=' the quests (which can only be done in one way) and the depth of conversations. Bethesda still has a lot to learn from Bioware.

[/quote']

Or even Obsidian. Using the Fallout 3 engine, which is what the Creation engine is built on, Obsidian was able to make interesting companions, quests with multiple outcomes and deep conversations in New Vegas. It's not a technical limitation, it's either laziness or a lack of talent at Bethesda.

Pure and simple: the only real thing blocking greatness is the release of a good and stable CS. All else can and will be fixed after that. :)

Couse some info or even help getting nifskope adapted to all the new nodes and such would be kinda nice too......

Just my 2 cents worth.....:)

Perhaps the textures? Nah its still a cool game, but a lot of you are probably getting bored because your playing long stretches, like 5 hours or something, so obviously its going to get a bit boring by then. Just play less often, thats what I've been doing, and I'm still happy with it. Still havent got any mods except "extended death camera".

Hi all,

What prevents skyrim from being a great game? well Gregathit put it as simple as its gonna get, the lack of a good CS, once one is released Skyrim will be modded into perfection (as are all the elder scroll games). As to what I belive should get modded, It's simple, the effing UI, or lack theroff I should say, I was extreamly disapointed when I realised I couldnt see a rotatable 3D image of my champion in the inventory screen im almost shed a tear Q.0 did they learn nothing? Other than that, adding degredation to wepons and armour would be a nice one and some effing hud information -.- you cant even see how long your char can hold his breath ffs, let alone potion/rest/spell effect timelimits with those 2 mods out ,the degredation one isnt realy a neccesity but i would surely love it, Skyrim would be perfect.

I don't think I could ever understand how textures can prevent a game from being great. :o

But what keeps Skyrim from being great is that they fail to bring the sandbox gameplay to everything beyond the basic world exploration in satisfactory manner. Most quests are still on rails once you start them, you can't decide who to kill or not, there are little to not consequences for anything you do.

It become such a one note game for me because once I've seen the various environments of Skyrim and explored *most* of the world and many dungeons, there just isn't much left for me. I don't care about getting houses or collecting shit, the quests are mostly quite boring and again, non-interactive. The writing in general is good lore-wise but crappy when it comes to characters. Level scaling still takes the sting out of some things (it's still pretty noticeable when you start seeing Elven appear, Ebony and so forth, it feels fake).

It has largely the same problems as Oblivion for me. The huge plus in Skyrim is the world, which makes the experience a hundred times better.

I have no major complaints as it stands as a vanilla game. That said, I'm in complete agreement that once a CS is put out all the major overhauls will start to pop up. New armors, weapons, cosmetic mods for player and npc's alike. I'm mostly awaiting new hairs... I'm sort of tired of looking at my decent looking imperial's face and then I glance to the hair and wonder when the last time she washed it was... LOL.

As it stands, as a vanilla game I would give it a 7.5 or 8 out of 10. There are things it lacks but as mentioned a few times before, we need a CS to make it a real TES game form the land of Skyrim to our personal liking.

I agree with the companions issue, they're boring and uninteresting, at least obsidian knows how to make us care about them, every single companion in new vegas had a deep and interesting story, they all felt important and to some degree influenced how you play, one of the main reasons I sided with the NCR in that game was because of boone, the only reason I wanted to save the brotherhood was because of Veronica.

In Skyrim, they're just like fallout 3, pack mules and dragon/deathclaw bait, nothing more.

I remember reading a conversation here at LL discussing Bethesda and how they make their games (that was a whiles back, before Skyrim was released). And I can't find it anymore, but someone said something along the lines of: Bethesda can make beautiful worlds and good lore, but when it comes to anymore depth, they fail pretty hard.

I feel like Skyrim is emerging from this curse, but It isn't there yet. I find Skyrim's premise MUCH more interesting than that of Oblivion or (at sometimes) even Morrowind. But there are still some noticeable backdrops.

Did anyone find the main questlines in Skyrim a bit... underwhelming? There was no depth. I didn't feel compelling. Hell, so uncompelled I forgot about the main questline for 20+ hours in real life! During that time I felt no impact on this "END OF THE WORLD PROPHECY" or this "GREAT REBELLION BETWEEN THE MIGHTY EMPIRE AGAINST THE STORMCLOAK REBELS". Grass was still green, the sky was blue, the people were acting normal, and life was good. All I got was a few comments from these overly-well-informed guards about world affairs.

In short, Skyrim's main storyline lacked depth, or compelling scenes, acts, or epic moments like games that other RPG developers nail really well, Bioware is a great example. And that is what holds this game back, from greatness.

Biggest things to me:

-Item creation, smithing/enchanting and alchemy are munchkinly borked.

-Frankly the only companion that was remotely interesting thus far in my play was the unbroken chick in Whiterun's bar that if you beat her in a fistfight she'll join you. At least she has a backstory. Although that's not Lydia's fault, she is hoisted onto you, and has the right to be bitter and jaded...

Here she is, a rising knight in Whiterun's forces, and along comes this dude(dude-ette) who can suck up dragon souls... And now she's been forced to follow this twat around, usually being forced to carry hundreds of units of trash.

Here she is' date=' a rising knight in Whiterun's forces, and along comes this dude(dude-ette) who can suck up dragon souls... And now she's been forced to follow this twat around, usually being forced to carry hundreds of units of trash.

[/quote']

And getting revenge on that dude(tte) by standing in every doorway, refusing to budge. Or setting off every trap no matter how you try to make her avoid them. And then say "I am sworn to piss the hell out of you".

Here she is' date=' a rising knight in Whiterun's forces, and along comes this dude(dude-ette) who can suck up dragon souls... And now she's been forced to follow this twat around, usually being forced to carry hundreds of units of trash.

[/quote']

And getting revenge on that dude(tte) by standing in every doorway, refusing to budge. Or setting off every trap no matter how you try to make her avoid them. And then say "I am sworn to piss the hell out of you".

+1

She also sucks dick in combat (which is bad for me).

Marcurrio FTW!

I've played for 3..4 hours a day since it came out, and it still grips me.

I stopped doing the "main quest" after a few days and haven't picked up on any other "main quest". I just wander from place to place picking up small quests, and being continually delighted by details.

Every time I think its about to become samey or tedious something unexpected, intriguing or amusing sparks me back into alertness.

Today I gave a Dragon a nasty suprise as it roosted on the roof of the world, joined the Bardic College, and laid to rest the ghost of a sad little girl, oh, and put paid to a darstardly vampiric plot in the process.

There is room for improvement (e.g. the "walk" animations, Bandits that still say "I thought I heard something" with an arrow in their head), but you can almost smell the great game that is in there.

Its a bit like washing the mud and blood off a very large rough uncut diamond, a sense of rising excitement as you catch a glint of the potential in the morning light.

I think that once more hands and minds are inputting and diversifying the experience it can only get better.

(PS Don't let the Steam bit spoil your fun Tom. It's a minor inconvenience, easily avoided at the minute.

:rolleyes:

)

Really the only thing that's bothered me so far are the companions. I agree they could learn a lot from Obsidian. I would agree with bioware, once, long before they got the touch of "EA Death" but as it stands, I don't really have any huge problems with the core game. Much like labrat, I keep going off to do the main quest, and get drawn into something else. Though the few parts of the main quest I've done, I've really liked. Oh yes indeed, along with the exploring.

Just repeating

PC UI sucks

Predictable bugs

Quests are typical modern RPG linear spoon fed crap

Balance issues with certain skill trees (leveling speed, usefulness, etc)

Dragons that only want to fight wolves and mudcrabs

Lack of enemy variety both in kind and in encounter.

On the last point, think about Lonesome road. Remember when you were walking down that highway and you started looting an old bus and HOLY SHIT A DEATH CLAW JUST JUMPED ON IT LIKE JURASSIC PARK. It's a great way to set up an interesting encounter and it stood out because Fallout/TES games hadn't been creating interesting scenarios like that up to that point. Most dungeons are: walk, see enemy, kill enemy, repeat. Every single fight is coming up behind someone in a cave.

Now Skyrim has bettered this but there is still a TON of room for improvement. Dragons are obviously interesting encounters (though tedious especially when they decide they would rather fight mudcrabs and wolves than you. I think I'll add that to my list actually), cave bears sometimes sneak up on you (though that isn't a scripted event), Draugir's pop out of the walls (not that you don't see it coming every single time), and the added dungeon variety is nice for creating memorable moments. However, the dungeon variety doesn't change the encounter variety. No matter how nice the dungeon is, the game can get tedious if every fight goes the same way. I should be pressured to make decisions and use all the skills at my disposal rather than being able to manage the game so that I can win every fight with the same 2 moves.

On that point, the lack of enemy variety makes for a lack of strategy as well.

Summary: The game should require me to think more good.

PS: I love Skyrim.

Pure and simple: the only real thing blocking greatness is the release of a good and stable CS. All else can and will be fixed after that. :)

Couse some info or even help getting nifskope adapted to all the new nodes and such would be kinda nice too......

Just my 2 cents worth.....:)

If The Release Of A CS Is Required To Make This A Great Game Then

Im Glad I Havent Bought This ... Because Obviously Skyrim Is Not

As Good As I Anticipated It Was Going To Be ...

You Shouldnt Have To Mod A Game For It To Be A Great Game ..