SSE does not start. Do I need to update SKSE? Is that the problem?
(see attached image)
In case, I have installed skse via Steam and have been waiting for the update for a few days now.
Do you know when skse will be updated on Steam?

Alternatively, can I update skse in another way even I initially installed it with Steam? How can I do?

Immagine.png

There's a preliminary AE version of SKSE but it is not recommended outside of a "
use at your own risk" warning. The full SKSE update is probably weeks away and there have been several posts recommending to avoid the update, and how to do so, due to it expected to break SKSE based mods at the bare minimum.

Just a note. I'm running AE with the 'experimental' SKSE. Everything that is ONLY SKSE seems to work. Mods that add DLLs don't so many of the mods here are broken until they get updated or replaced.

I never thought it would be the case but one of the mods I miss most is Simply Knock LOL! 

My experience has been positive. If you already own SE the upgrade is $20 and even though I will probably only get through the fishing tutorial before I stop using that mechanic, I have enjoyed having little things pop up that I hadn't experienced before.

But I have SSE, I don't have SAE so why do I have this problem?
I also checked on Steam and I don't seem to have the Anniversary Edition, so we can rule out that they gave it to me for free and I didn't notice.

Another thing, in the SKSE website it says that the current version of SKSE for SSE is 2.0.20 while (as you can see in the screenshot) I have 2.0.17
SKSE has always automatically updated me on Steam. Why doesn't it happen this time? Should I wait for the new version to be released on Steam?
Can I update manually by downloading 2.0.20? In case how do you do it?

4 hours ago, Balmung889 said:

I also checked on Steam and I don't seem to have the Anniversary Edition, so we can rule out that they gave it to me for free and I didn't notice.

your Runtime version is : 1.6.318.0 it means you have the update ready for AE ( it is not AE DLC but the patch ) skyrimSE before patch version is : 1.5.97.0 .

it is really explicit in your pic with the skse log .

follow Psalam post / link

6 hours ago, Balmung889 said:

But I have SSE, I don't have SAE so why do I have this problem?

Another thing, in the SKSE website it says that the current version of SKSE for SSE is 2.0.20 while (as you can see in the screenshot) I have 2.0.17
SKSE has always automatically updated me on Steam. Why doesn't it happen this time? Should I wait for the new version to be released on Steam?
Can I update manually by downloading 2.0.20? In case how do you do it?

Balmung, I also have SSE (not SAE), but my SKSE is the latest 2.0.20. I still get the same message as you do; my Skyrim is too new version for my SKSE. Need to wait for code update. I guess others with 2.0.20 get the same message?

1 hour ago, Chaos1971 said:

I also have SSE (not SAE)

But which version? AE is not a separate game. It's a new version of the same SkyrimSE.exe with (some) CC stuff on top. If you're getting that message I'd say your game updated. I'm using 2.0.20 with Skyrim SE 1.5.97 and I'm not getting that message, that's not something you should expect if you're using the correct versions.

1 hour ago, Just Don't said:

But which version? AE is not a separate game. It's a new version of the same SkyrimSE.exe with (some) CC stuff on top. If you're getting that message I'd say your game updated. I'm using 2.0.20 with Skyrim SE 1.5.97 and I'm not getting that message, that's not something you should expect if you're using the correct versions.

Thanks for trying to help me! Just  to point out, I've no previous experience (!)  on installing mods, so I appreciate all the help I get. I really, really hope I did everything correctly when following instructions on forum : 

My current SE version seems to be 1.6.318.0.8, with SKSE for SSE 2.0.20, downloaded 11th Nov. So, can it be that I did the installation correctly but now I do have the AE version, and now my choises are either to wait for SKSE update, or try the preliminary SKSE? 

27 minutes ago, Chaos1971 said:

My current SE version seems to be 1.6.318.0.8

That's the AE update. Yes.

27 minutes ago, Chaos1971 said:

and now my choises are either to wait for SKSE update, or try the preliminary SKSE? 

You can also downgrade to SE 1.5.97, which is compatible with SKSE 2.0.20 and most mods requiring an specific game/SKSE version. There is the downgrade patcher. That method and others are everywhere since there are multiple threads about this.