Rare Stimpaks and Bobby Pins

Rare Stimpaks and Bobby Pins

View File

This is a small utility mod that will lower the chances of finding Stimpaks and Bobby Pins in containers to just 10% (including vendor lists) so they become a much more meaningful commodity. Those hair clips will now be a little more precious and your inventory will not be groaning under the weight of all those damned Stimpaks.

It works by adjusting the "chance none" in the levelled lists. I think I've picked them all up but let me know if you find any I've missed and I'll update. Items which have been specifically placed in game (like with some Raiders) are not affected.

8 hours ago, spicydoritos said:

This could definitely come in handy.  My current choice of "loot reduction" mod is a bit more holistic than I really need; sometimes all I want is to simply not be drowned in stimpaks.

That was my thinking when I first started looking into this. I did experiment with the setting at 20% chance and without including vendors and there were still far too many and too easy to buy with all the caps you get so easily. The 10% seems about right with vendors included.

Bear in mind if you drop it into an ongoing game it can take a while for the vendor lists and cells to reset and update.

I'd also like to get rid of the game placed ones in some Raider/NPC's but it may be a lot of work and might unbalance the early game too much in any case.

I'm also thinking about a small mod to reduce the amount of ammo found (maybe as a patch for this mod), I like to keep things modular as it helps players tweak their game how they like rather than broad overhauls.

1 hour ago, tuxagent7 said:

Like thoses making life hard for my pc types of mod

If i install mid-game, then the change would appears in the next respawn phase ?

Yes, anything that's currently there will still have the old levelled list, so it needs a respawn before it will take effect

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, steelpanther24 said:

Just to double check, you should still get about four stimpacks leaving the vault for the first time?    I left with only one bobby pin on my latest playthrough so I think it is working. 

Four sounds about right, that's what I have in my seed game. As I don't apply most mods until I'm outside the Vault I don't see the full effect straight away, later on it gets really tight (I'm down to around 5 pins and 8 stimpaks).

I'm not quite sure when the cell levelled lists are generated initially so if this mod is applied before a brand new game start (the pre war part) the effect might happen immediately. I'm in two minds about that though as to game balance, as using the Raider increased damage mod the pc definitely needs some healing early on at the Museum.

49 minutes ago, Slorm said:

Four sounds about right, that's what I have in my seed game. As I don't apply most mods until I'm outside the Vault I don't see the full effect straight away, later on it gets really tight (I'm down to around 5 pins and 8 stimpaks).

I'm not quite sure when the cell levelled lists are generated initially so if this mod is applied before a brand new game start (the pre war part) the effect might happen immediately. I'm in two minds about that though as to game balance, as using the Raider increased damage mod the pc definitely needs some healing early on at the Museum.

More Doctors (For Survival Mode) adds an eponymous Dr. Concord in the previously abandoned house just below the Red Rocket settlement (among other places). I've found it really helps, particularly since I play with Rad Morphing Redux set to only have radiation healing from doctors reset body morphs.

2 hours ago, Slorm said:

It is kind of funny that my mod list, as well, tries to make FO4  much harder (you won't be able to build "everything", settlements have to specialize, gun fights are super deadly, etc..)  That is why this mod is perfect.      I realized after watching the video below (I saw it on Kendo2's website so credit to him) that I am just trying to make FO4  like FO1.    ON a side note.....I am not sure how I feel about gamers playing games that are older than they are........when I played them when they first came out.  What is next, someone is going to talk about how F14 Fleet Defender (1992?) or XCOM ufo Defense (1993?) are really awesome games???

FO1 on an FO4 engine would be super awesome (but NOT $40 awesome, in case Microsoft or Bethseda is reading this)

Spoiler

6 hours ago, steelpanther24 said:

FO1 on an FO4 engine would be super awesome (but NOT $40 awesome, in case Microsoft or Bethseda is reading this)

Dunno, as someone who also played the OG Fallout when it was first released (yay Interplay!) I would almost certainly pay US$40 for a remake... but maybe not one Microsoft is involved in. ?

• 4 weeks later...

Nice mod. Bobby pins for sure became a rare commodity. Makes me much more careful with each lock. Stimpacks though, still plenty. Enough to constantly heal my downed companion and never went below 10 stimpacks. Don't know how it works, maybe there are just a lot of hand placed stims, which are not covered by your modded list. 

Would also be nice to lower the chances of radx and radaway. I feel like one playthrough would collect enough of those to last for another ten runs

3 hours ago, slaydatkiddo said:

Nice mod. Bobby pins for sure became a rare commodity. Makes me much more careful with each lock. Stimpacks though, still plenty. Enough to constantly heal my downed companion and never went below 10 stimpacks. Don't know how it works, maybe there are just a lot of hand placed stims, which are not covered by your modded list. 

Would also be nice to lower the chances of radx and radaway. I feel like one playthrough would collect enough of those to last for another ten runs

Yeah, there are quite a lot of Stimpaks which aren't reliant on the levelled lists, you'll see the main effect in the med containers though it will take a cell reset if you apply the mod outside of the Vault (30 days gametime from memory)

I'm tied up with rl stuff for the next couple of weeks but once I'm free do do something similar for Radaway and RadX

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2021 at 7:55 AM, Slorm said:

Yeah, there are quite a lot of Stimpaks which aren't reliant on the levelled lists, you'll see the main effect in the med containers though it will take a cell reset if you apply the mod outside of the Vault (30 days gametime from memory)

I'm tied up with rl stuff for the next couple of weeks but once I'm free do do something similar for Radaway and RadX

Ouch, as I play with Ghoulification, that would really hurt. 

Also mods like Agony make stimpacks extremely rare (it turns all stimpacks into stimulants for your NPCs, you don't get any benefit from them) so I am using this mod primarily for bobby pin control.

• 1 month later...

We've been talking over in this thread "Request for a StimPak Cooldown Mod" about stimpaks and other ways to limit them, and I started poking around today to see why I still get so many stimpaks in regular loot even with the RareItems plugin.  For example, Raiders will often have 1 or 2 stimpaks in their loot.  

I noticed something interesting when I loaded up all my mods in FO4Edit and started looking at Fallout.esm under Stimpaks, my Bashed Patch seems to have Chance for None set to 0 in most if not all the lists that RareItems covers.  This goes for both Stimpaks and Bobby Pins.  Here's an example.

Spoiler

LLC_Medkit_Chems_Raider_Stimpaks.png.009a5f9299c7a589bd28578ad83ab193.png

I don't know if maybe I missed something when I learned how to make a bashed patch, I basically just right click rebuild every time in Wrye.  But what I decided to do just to see if it would help, I clicked down through every leveled list in the RareItems plugin and right clicked the option to overwrite from RareItems into my Bashed Patch.  Probably what I should have done is make a patch to go at a higher priority than Bashed, because now I'm realizing if I make my bashed patch again later it might overwrite this stuff again but I'll play with this for a bit first and see if it helps.  Just wanted to throw this out there in case someone knows more about overwriting and bashed patch and leveled lists because I'm still learning.

Cheers

Hmm, I'm not that familiar with bashed patches as I've never had enough mods to warrant them. Things like clothing/armour mods I tend to manually combine on the rare occasions I bother.

Hopefully someone can help as your patch is certainly resetting the LL's back to their default value

50 minutes ago, Slorm said:

Hmm, I'm not that familiar with bashed patches as I've never had enough mods to warrant them. Things like clothing/armour mods I tend to manually combine on the rare occasions I bother.

Hopefully someone can help as your patch is certainly resetting the LL's back to their default value

I think I have a work around, I'm going to go through and make a compatibility patch which will sit at the bottom of the load order at a higher priority than the bashed patch.  There are several mods including this one which show up in red letters when I go to build the bashed patch, and red indicates that Wrye Bash is ignoring them for the purposes of the building process, so I can forward those records to the new patch.  Looks like I need to RTFM lol.

6 hours ago, Marg597 said:

I think I have a work around, I'm going to go through and make a compatibility patch which will sit at the bottom of the load order at a higher priority than the bashed patch.  There are several mods including this one which show up in red letters when I go to build the bashed patch, and red indicates that Wrye Bash is ignoring them for the purposes of the building process, so I can forward those records to the new patch.  Looks like I need to RTFM lol.

One thing I found with looking at the leveled lists, is that Armor and Weapon Keywords Community Resource (AWKCR) definitely adds bobbypins to things like suitcases, for example LLC_Suitcase adds LLC_Suitcase_ModAdded which references LLC_Suitcase_Modadded_UniqueNPCs and adds Leveled List Entries LL_Clothes_Prewar and LL_BobbyPin25 with a count of 2 and Chance None 0.  So if AWKCR is loaded after RareItems, it's going to negate several of the changes.  I imagine if I keep digging I'll find it adding Stimpaks into containers as well.  Just something to watch out for if anyone else has issues with the mod not reducing the items.

12 hours ago, Marg597 said:

One thing I found with looking at the leveled lists, is that Armor and Weapon Keywords Community Resource (AWKCR) definitely adds bobbypins to things like suitcases, for example LLC_Suitcase adds LLC_Suitcase_ModAdded which references LLC_Suitcase_Modadded_UniqueNPCs and adds Leveled List Entries LL_Clothes_Prewar and LL_BobbyPin25 with a count of 2 and Chance None 0.  So if AWKCR is loaded after RareItems, it's going to negate several of the changes.  I imagine if I keep digging I'll find it adding Stimpaks into containers as well.  Just something to watch out for if anyone else has issues with the mod not reducing the items.

I just checked and Armour Keywords is an esm so this mod will take precedence assuming the mod list is sorted. I did however notice that Real Handcuffs changes two of the Bobby Pin lists back to 0 (junk_small and junk_small_personal) if it comes lower in the mod list. It didn't cross my mind that RH would change something like that.

Edited by Slorm
8 hours ago, Slorm said:

I just checked and Armour Keywords is an esm so this mod will take precedence assuming the mod list is sorted. I did however notice that Real Handcuffs changes two of the Bobby Pin lists back to 0 (junk_small and junk_small_personal) if it comes lower in the mod list. It didn't cross my mind that RH would change something like that.

RH has a mechanic that lets you pick the lock if you have high enough lockpicking, so maybe they wanted to make sure there'd be bobby pins around sometimes, interesting.

I don't fully understand why AWKCR includes a bunch of leveled lists called "Wasteland Imports" when I don't have that mod installed, but they all get forwarded to the bashed patch which happily mashes all the AWKCR lists up with Vanilla lists, it's a shitshow.  I'm not sure why I'd rather spend my time patching than moving to a different system entirely, but I guess it's a choice.

Now that I've finished my little patch* for AWKCR that reduces the extra chems and pins to nearly none, I wanted to mention that I found 2 vanilla lists with BobbyPins that aren't included in RareItems, in case you want to check them out for potential updating:

LL_Junk_Mailbox [LVLI:000AEBB2]
LL_Junk_Small_Prewar [LVLI:000AE86C]

*(I don't know what the rules are on sharing the AWKCR patch, permissions on their Nexus page seem to indicate that the main plugin can't be included but I don't see anything that says I can't, so if anyone wants it I guess let me know.)

13 hours ago, Marg597 said:

LL_Junk_Mailbox [LVLI:000AEBB2]

LL_Junk_Small_Prewar [LVLI:000AE86C]

Many thanks, I must have missed those two, I'll upload an amended version.

TBH because I also use the pins to remove DD's fitted by Violate I'm getting desperately short of pins (down to 4 atm) :classic_smile:

I'd get an opinion from one of the mods as to uploading your patch. The OP says "Mod authors have permission to link to this resource as a required file, however, DO NOT include a copy of AWKCR in your mod download. Users should get AWKCR from the AWKCR page to prevent versioning issues." so I would have thought it's okay as you're just patching rather than using the mod itself. Best to check though

Edited by Slorm
  • 6 months later...

V1.0.4 released to try to tighten up on the stimpaks Raiders seem to still be carrying. Basically I've add an extra 90% no chance to the Raider template in LLD_Raider as the stimpak levelled list already has it's own separate entry in the template.

Safe to update mid game

Edited by Slorm

I'm ready to install this, but terrified at the same time for my character. Will I miss my stash of 50 Stimpaks I almost never use and hoard in my chests at some Workshop site? I just continue to make my game harder... and harder... and harder............................................ lol

Added this. Thanks for the mod. I've absolutely noticed a massive amount of these. I even thought about getting rid of a mod that allows you to loot the actual items on a merchant, because it would end up giving me entirely too many drugs.