No Mods are working. Using Vortex

TLDR: Everything is loaded in Vortex, nothing is working in game. Strait vanilla Old Rim.

I stopped playing Oldrim years ago because of bloat and every game crashed on startup. I moved onto SE and a few months later the same thing, constant CTD.

New hard drives, I decided to start all over again. Then I discover NexusMM turned into Vortex.  I tried it first with a new install of Fallout4. It mostly worked.

So yesterday I tried it with Skyrim, loaded up 82 mods. Nothing is active in the game.

I have SKSE installed just like old times. FINIS, Bodyslide is NOT running from the Vortex engine. I can't even find the tools because Vortex doesn't install any mods into the skyrim data directory like the old ways. 

the Mod Staging Folder is G:\Vortex Mods\Skyrim

my game directory is G:\Programs_Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim

All mods are enabled. All plugins are enabled. All But still nothing. 

I run the game from Vortex, or from steam, or from the directory or from the SKSE loader.... it's plain vanilla.

While I was typing the above, I tried again. Somehow I managed to deploy everything, including FINIS and Bodyslide. Now after all conflicts are resolved.... CTD at startup.

cry

Edited by Pfactor

Ouch, I used to run some insane set ups with some mod managed and some manually modded ( replaced textures and meshes with ones I preferred). I feel your pain the amount of time and effort that went into that. One suggestion would be to remove all your old saves bar the most recent one. I have a vague memory that worked for me once. 

21 minutes ago, kosey said:

Ouch, I used to run some insane set ups with some mod managed and some manually modded ( replaced textures and meshes with ones I preferred). I feel your pain the amount of time and effort that went into that. One suggestion would be to remove all your old saves bar the most recent one. I have a vague memory that worked for me once. 

nope. Saves did not work

Switching from good old Oblivion approved TesMM to Vortex took me a whole day.

Vortex is really intelligent and helpful - when I disabled one mod (Cursed Loot), because I wanted to play without, Vortex found some remnants from the old installation and copied that back into the Data folder. Took me a while to figure that out.

Some questions to better understand your problem. No, I don't think that you're daft, but I don't see what you're seeing, there's always the language barrier, and like a missed semi-colon in a C-Program it's most often the tiny details.

Did you install everything new, or did you try to run your old installation, but with Vortex on top?

If so, did you update even one mod? Mod Managers tend to forget the scripts in Data/scripts, so double-check if everything from the old mod has been removed.

Did you run LOOT? I've had that before I installed Vortex, but what I read from others, Vortex isn't able to sort mods in a meaningful way without help. Wrong Load Order can completely bork your game.

I understand that you get the "ramm-ta-dam" Bethesda loading screen and are able to start a new game? That's good news, because not everything is broken, and you should be able to figure it out w/o having to make a new install.

If you're new to SKSE - you always need to start the game twice. One to start steam (if it's not in your Windows startup, I've removed it) and you'll only get the vanilla start-data-exit in that small windows with the well-known background picture. Click Exit, start again. Your Vortex and/or desktop shortcut need to point to the skse_loader.exe, you don't ever start with the old, vanilla skyrim.exe (that's called from SKSE, so you still need it)

82 mods is a lot to start with. Disable everything, try if the game starts, and enable the mods one by one until it crashes. There's always that one mod that doesn't work anymore because of reasons. Or because you have overlooked not the dependencies of this mod, but the dependencies of the mod this one depnds upon. *sigh*

Hope that helps, be patient, and do one step after the other.

Joe.

The common factor in your catalogue of woes is you. Learn how to mod Skyrim which includes learning how to use things like your mod manager of choice.

https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/SkyrimLE:2.10.0

https://www.loverslab.com/blogs/entry/7521-conglomerate-01-installing-skyrim-stability-fixes-tools/

3 hours ago, CaptainJ03 said:

Vortex isn't able to sort mods in a meaningful way without help.

Never had any problems with it in a year or so of using it on 200-300 mods.

Wrong Load Order can completely bork your game.

Never experienced that in nearly five years of modding Skyrim. Things can be messed up in game but I've never seen it break the game in the sense of the game not working.

8 hours ago, CaptainJ03 said:

Did you install everything new, or did you try to run your old installation, but with Vortex on top?

If so, did you update even one mod? Mod Managers tend to forget the scripts in Data/scripts, so double-check if everything from the old mod has been removed.

Did you run LOOT? I've had that before I installed Vortex, but what I read from others, Vortex isn't able to sort mods in a meaningful way without help. Wrong Load Order can completely bork your game.

I understand that you get the "ramm-ta-dam" Bethesda loading screen and are able to start a new game? That's good news, because not everything is broken, and you should be able to figure it out w/o having to make a new install.

If you're new to SKSE - you always need to start the game twice. One to start steam (if it's not in your Windows startup, I've removed it) and you'll only get the vanilla start-data-exit in that small windows with the well-known background picture. Click Exit, start again. Your Vortex and/or desktop shortcut need to point to the skse_loader.exe, you don't ever start with the old, vanilla skyrim.exe (that's called from SKSE, so you still need it)

82 mods is a lot to start with. Disable everything, try if the game starts, and enable the mods one by one until it crashes. There's always that one mod that doesn't work anymore because of reasons. Or because you have overlooked not the dependencies of this mod, but the dependencies of the mod this one depnds upon. *sigh*

Hope that helps, be patient, and do one step after the other.

Joe.

Clean install of Old Rim. All mods were a fresh DL from Nexus.

No LOOT.

I get the startup noise but instant CTD. Not even able to make a menu choice.

I'm not new to SKSE. I've got 8K hours playing in old Skyrim.

2 hours ago, Pfactor said:

No LOOT.

In your OP you stated that the mods weren't loading and all you were getting was the vanilla game. Now you are saying that you get a CTD on start up.

The first one is caused by you not knowing what you are doing with Vortex. The second is generally caused by a missing master or too many animations. Vortex would tell you if you had a missing master and too many character animations can be dealt with by either reducing the number of animations or using Animation Limit Crash Fix.

4 hours ago, Pfactor said:

No LOOT.

Uhm, as Grey Cloud said, that's a completely different story than what you've told in your first post.

If the game isn't even starting, you need to start really, really slow.

Get LOOT and run it, so that Vortex has an idea how to sort the bloody mods.

Then uncheck ALL mods in Vortex. Rerun FNIS (because with all animations gone, you'd get the feared T-pose and a crash of the cart during vanilla start)

Start the game, start a new game, create a character, save, exit.

Do you have only Oldrim, or the Legendary Edition (or Oldrim with all three DLCs)?

A lot of mods will crash if you're on Oldrim and not on LE. Get USLEEP, the unofficial legendare edition patch. Or for Oldrim, get that patch.

Install LAL (Live another Life) so you don't have to endure the long intro everytime you start a new game.

Now go back to your modlist and start on top. Activate ONE single mod, start the game. Keep your eyes open for "Missing Masters" - then that master needs to be the mod you try, not the one next in your list. It might or might not be in the correct order, just don't count on it.

Proceed one by one, check your Papyrus log for errors if it crashes. Check the mod's requirements. Again.

You don't start full throttle with a mod list like this:

Spoiler

logistika_150103.jpg.28a6729fa733557dacce6ef58bf9be90.jpg

18 hours ago, Pfactor said:

So yesterday I tried it with Skyrim, loaded up 82 mods

So Skyrim is not working ....Vortex is not the issue I have been using for 2 years now no issues not even a burp. I hope you did not dump 82 mods in and tried to play did you? I said it once I'll say it again Skyrim in a marathon not a sprint race add a few mods test... add a few more test again rinse and repeat. Understanding the tools AKA mod managers will greatly improve your experience trying to mod. When all else fail watch some tutorial on how to use it..... there are some excellent videos to help with just that. Gopher is one of the best out there for tutorials

1 hour ago, CaptainJ03 said:

Get LOOT and run it, so that Vortex has an idea how to sort the bloody mods.

Totally pointless. If you run LOOT Vortex's autosort will just over rule it. If you turn off autosort then there is no point in it having an idea of what to do with the mods.

8 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

Totally pointless. If you run LOOT Vortex's autosort will just over rule it. If you turn off autosort then there is no point in it having an idea of what to do with the mods.

I would love you to be right. There is at least one other user in this forum who claimed that his completely borked LO was done by Vortex' autosort.

I've installed LOOT at a time when TesMM decided to bork my game, before switching to Vortex, so I have no personal experience of Vortex without LOOT.

I would love you to be right

I am right, that is how the autosort works and this can be confirmed by reading about Vortex.  I have been using Vortex for about 12 months and have direct experience of it.

There is at least one other user in this forum who claimed that his completely borked LO was done by Vortex' autosort.

People claim all sorts of things here. That this person convinced his/herself that it was Vortex causing the problem does not mean it was Vortex causing the problem.