[Solved] Grass Mods Causing Major Lag When Starting/Adjusting SexLab Scenes

So I ran into a issue when trying to start SexLab scenes outdoors. When starting a scene the game will recalculate your position causing all the grass in the area (in range) to unload then reload every time SexLab recalculates or adjusts the player position. This happens when starting a scene, moving a scene (turn/adjust), or ending a scene causing all the grass that is loaded to unload and load again.

This obviously causes a massive lag spike that grinds the game into a utter halt.

I ran into this issue when i had Tamrielic Grass mods installed in its .ini config it has the following overrides.

[Grass]

fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=17000.0000

fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=0.0000

iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=13

iMinGrassSize=60

I believe the bolded sections are the issue along with if you have higher resolution grass mods. I'd imagine other grass mods have this same issue. Reloading all that grass at once would cause any massive amounts of lag.

Just wanted to put this here in case anyone else was having issues starting SexLab scenes outdoors.

If you want to see this, it's pretty easy to start a scene outdoors, then watch as the grass disappears/reappears when you turn the scene orientation.

Edit:

For solution see comments below.

So I tried out the Grass caching for No Grass In Object. The game still has the problem of unloading/reloading the grass everytime a scene is started/adjusted. However, with cache the reloading is instant and there is no real noticable delay other than the usual script processing.

So I guess the best way to fix this is to either reduce grass textures/fadedistance or use grass mods or use grass caching.

fwiw my values are

fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=7000.0000

iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=6

iMinGrassSize=60

Perhaps you're just extending your fade distance a bit too far and while the number of types might be important in your game, maybe they contribute too. 

good luck!

Just now, anjenthedog said:

fwiw my values are

fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=7000.0000

iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=6

iMinGrassSize=60

Perhaps you're just extending your fade distance a bit too far and while the number of types might be important in your game, 

Yea, I didn't know what the values were set until I starting having problems. I took me forever to realize the grass was unloading/reloading.

I've reduced the values to what BETHINI recommended 6500. And it's still quite a bit of lag but much more bearable than 30 seconds of 1 fps hell.

2 minutes ago, LaEspada said:

Yea, I didn't know what the values were set until I starting having problems. I took me forever to realize the grass was unloading/reloading.

I've reduced the values to what BETHINI recommended 6500. And it's still quite a bit of lag but much more bearable than 30 seconds of 1 fps hell.

Of course, you can always punt and open console, then fire off TG,  to eliminate grass during the sequence, or fire another TG once the animation has actually begun (not just setting up for it) to reload the grasses. 

I've seen this in my own game, there are some, relatively recent threads about it, and an extreme case of minutes of delay due to having No Grass in Object (probably using it without the setting for precaching grass?). I'm not sure if this has something to do with the known issue in the Sexlab Framework SE thread ("Animations take longer to start than normal right now.").

It would be interesting to see if changing these fade ranges settings helps to reduce these lag spikes (or trying different setups with/without No grass in objects and probably No grass in objects + DynDOLOD if 3.0 is released, as it should integrate precached grass in the loaded terrain... in any case I guess Sexlab would need to prevent the unload/load to entirely avoid the issue, but why it's there in the first place?).  Anyways, I hope it is fixed in a future release or as a third party patch.

4 minutes ago, Just Don't said:

I've seen this in my own game, there are some, relatively recent threads about it, and an extreme case of minutes of delay due to having No Grass in Object (probably using it without the setting for precaching grass?). I'm not sure if this has something to do with the known issue in the Sexlab Framework SE thread ("Animations take longer to start than normal right now.").

It would be interesting to see if changing these fade ranges settings helps to reduce these lag spikes (or trying different setups with/without No grass in objects and probably No grass in objects + DynDOLOD if 3.0 is released, as it should integrate precached grass in the loaded terrain... in any case I guess Sexlab would need to prevent the unload/load to entirely avoid the issue, but why it's there in the first place?).  Anyways, I hope it is fixed in a future release or as a third party patch.

I do have No Grass in Objects installed as well. And I dont' really want to have the precache setup because I've heard it can take a long time and a lot of space.

2 minutes ago, LaEspada said:

I do have No Grass in Objects installed as well. And I dont' really want to have the precache setup because I've heard it can take a long time and a lot of space.

The times I've generated the precached grass it took ~45 mins and generated 2.5GB of files (using grass mods like Veydogolt or Veydosebrom).

Next time I play Skyrim for real I'll test with lower fade range settings.

16 hours ago, Just Don't said:

The times I've generated the precached grass it took ~45 mins and generated 2.5GB of files (using grass mods like Veydogolt or Veydosebrom).

Next time I play Skyrim for real I'll test with lower fade range settings.

So I tried out the Grass caching for No Grass In Object. The game still has the problem of unloading/reloading the grass everytime a scene is started/adjusted. However, with cache the reloading is instant and there is no real noticable delay other than the usual script processing.

So I guess the best way to fix this is to either reduce grass textures/fadedistance or use grass mods or use grass caching.

• 9 months later...
On 4/11/2021 at 2:33 PM, LaEspada said:

Thanks. Caching the grass really fixes the lag.