Hi whishnot4, I have a suggestion to make the work a lot lesser. Can we just use the human skeleton, whatever skeleton other people might be using. Make animations from that skeleton, so the animations will work whatever skeleton people are using.

Also, I would like to request from someone to fix the current meshes I have. It needs a little more tweaking with the rig. There are also gaps, the wrist and neck. Please.

MerefolkRace.rar

Hey guys, been playing and testing my mermaid, so far it's fine, just the weird body seams, unmatched size of wrists, mismatch skin tone, an belly stretching upon fast movements. Here I wanna ask if someone can make the swim 360, too? :3
So you can stare at your character as they swim facing your camera and you can get nice screenshots or recording.
(right now I'm asking firepower02 how to fix the body problem, but feel free to reply)

Hi you can actually upload pictures on LL. It seems you fixed the problem yourself you said in your pms.

I don't get why the tailfin in your game disappears. It is analogous to shoes, so check if you have shoes equipped.

A temporary solution to the wrist gap is to wear armbands. I hope you can find armbands you find mermaidy.

Forgot to update topic in this thread about wearing wristbands/armbands for merfolk form.
Unfortunately to hide the wrist seams by equipping those arm wears isn't working due to the merfolk body replaces the whole armor equip-appearance itself. Only the shell bra (still untextured though) works with the merfolk body because it functions to available to appear on the wearer in that form. Hopefully in future updates, when someone managed to instead use the whole top torso replaced by the top torso meshed with the tail, so there won't be much issues with the seams and mismatch skin tones. I don't know why people today still included the outfit with their own meshed body parts.. especially when you're khajiit or argonian wearing fingerless-gloves mod which it was made only for humans, your fingers ended up having human fingers because somehow the person meshed the gloves without considering of possible mismatches and seams.
Oh, as I told firepower02 already, the tail fin of mine still invisible under the water surface... I'll leave a suggestion for better tail fins on next post for those can mesh and texture.

What I love about Bethesda making dragons for Skyrim is the wings, well, the wing membranes <3
They're so thin that they have light past through them when they block the sun, something we see the immersion at least Bethesda give to them. It's wonderful that I don't know how they made it! And I'm not a mesher U.U
http://skyrimfansite.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Skyrim-Dragons-Guide.jpg

So here's some suggestion, if they can make like that for dragons, why not we make those for the merfolk's tail fins~? <3
It looks, "feels" realistic like real fish tails, fish tails aren't exactly transparent, you can see the tiny skeletal fins within. Most fish's own fins are very bony, you can se their fins made of think skeletal fins but are attached to each other, lack membranes, but are almost translucent or transparent, so thin the light passes through.
Remember h2o - just add water's mermaid tail? They're designed to look realistic as they add 200 over scales on the body and the tail fin looks fantastic! :3
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/dc/bd/a2/dcbda202e7ee92fc69f4f7cb743350ab.jpg

That is a reup from EternalBlack's Siren mod.

No changes from the file I have, which is dated 30-12-2015. And if I remember right that was a file that someone supplied after EternalBlack vanished and took his stuff down. -> So it is quitie old stuff.

That is a reup from EternalBlack's Siren mod.

No changes from the file I have, which is dated 30-12-2015. And if I remember right that was a file that someone supplied after EternalBlack vanished and took his stuff down. -> So it is quitie old stuff.

Even so, I thought I should bring it to your attention just in case.

.... Who's the original owner of that mermaid file again...?

I got the feeling this is something belonged here, it shouldn't be on Nexus

Which is why I thought it was best to bring it to everyone's attention here.

Maybe it will get more notice there and encourage progression, its been a dead horse here for near 4 years now..............
  • 1 month later...

Hello all, I'm sorry for my absence.  My team just released the playable centaur race alpha this last week, and as always I've got tons of projects to do.  Anyway, the point of my visit(other than to drop a link to my centaurs: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/83640/?)is that the technique used to make the centaur would fix many of the issues that the mermaids have.  Especially, if you use the technique that my team developed for our Gorgon/Tsaesci races.  It's actually devilishly simple(while being extremely complex).  For the Gorgons, I created a skeleton.hkx file that had all the vanilla bones(actually, I went with XMPSE but you get the point) and then I created a snake tail(you would have to make probably a horker tail to get the movement types that has been mentioned earlier in the thread) and added it to the skeleton.hkx.  Allow this to overwrite the skeleton.hkx that your mermaid is using.  And then you can just assign(in racemenu) the default skinnaked.  Won't have to worry about neck seams or wrist seams with it.  And if you set up the race correctly, it could even use existing armors and clothes.  Anyway, I know it's a lot of work and eventually, my team plans on making a mermaid race, but right now I have approximately 1200 animations to make for the centaurs, plus the 200-250 animations I have to make for the daedric spider my team just asked me to make.

Personally I'd LOVE to see any sort of mermaid mod/playable race thing implemented. I mean, there are tons upon tons of inspiration sources, and if lamia/naga are possible, centaurs as well -- I'm looking forward to it immensely :)

Hello all, I'm sorry for my absence.  My team just released the playable centaur race alpha this last week, and as always I've got tons of projects to do.  Anyway, the point of my visit(other than to drop a link to my centaurs: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/83640/?)is that the technique used to make the centaur would fix many of the issues that the mermaids have.  Especially, if you use the technique that my team developed for our Gorgon/Tsaesci races.  It's actually devilishly simple(while being extremely complex).  For the Gorgons, I created a skeleton.hkx file that had all the vanilla bones(actually, I went with XMPSE but you get the point) and then I created a snake tail(you would have to make probably a horker tail to get the movement types that has been mentioned earlier in the thread) and added it to the skeleton.hkx.  Allow this to overwrite the skeleton.hkx that your mermaid is using.  And then you can just assign(in racemenu) the default skinnaked.  Won't have to worry about neck seams or wrist seams with it.  And if you set up the race correctly, it could even use existing armors and clothes.  Anyway, I know it's a lot of work and eventually, my team plans on making a mermaid race, but right now I have approximately 1200 animations to make for the centaurs, plus the 200-250 animations I have to make for the daedric spider my team just asked me to make.

Apparently, I can't type.  That number of animations is woefully under the actual.  It should have read12000, I missed a zero.  On the bright side, I actually don't have to make all of them.  Some of them are animations that a centaur would not do.  And since my skills with animating are as subpar as they are, I don't see myself making the paired kill move animations either.

Personally I'd LOVE to see any sort of mermaid mod/playable race thing implemented. I mean, there are tons upon tons of inspiration sources, and if lamia/naga are possible, centaurs as well -- I'm looking forward to it immensely :)

Well, the hold up on the mermaids for my team is two fold.  First, we are diligently working on lots of projects, centaurs and BoT are the main ones.  Second, we have not found a tail that we like.  I might model one myself down the road when I have a little more time.  But we want to make one that is closer to the lore we have found on them(Elder Scroll Lore that is).  It shows them having very long, thin tails.  So, not sure if the horker idea will work with that.  And we haven't completely decide on how we want to approach it.  Do we go ahead with the horker idea, or do we just make up our own skeleton and make all the animations fresh.  Both have their merits.  But leading back to my less than stellar animation skills, I'm leaning more toward the horker version. I want to end this with a caveat.  We are a very small mod team(mostly two guys with some lore experts and some skilled associates we discuss things with).  So, while I don't want people to get their hopes up, I also don't want to discourage you all.  If we could find someone willing to learn how to make animations, we are more than willing to teach. 

yoo, I've said it before, but those Narwhal tails from the sea of spirits mod are already rigged to the horker skeleton and would make some excellent merfolk tails

• 4 weeks later...