Is it possible to "extract/find" the mod used by a follower ?

Hello !

I'm kinda new to the world of modding, so I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge about this particular subject. I'll try to put as much context as possible so you can help me accordingly ! If I am in the wrong channel please redirect me to the place I should post this.

So, there's a character made by SEXYBONO called Daedric Pei. And the author made a follower mod with it. And, I'm really looking forward using the character by installing the mods used by the author, but I came across multiples problems. He didn't put a racemenu preset to use the character as we like (I think it's the author choice or just he didn't thought about it, whatever) and so, I tried to "create" artificially the mod preset by using a mod called "Alternate Actors SE" (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/34448) and "swapped" by character with the follower Pei, but the result is : I don't have all the mod used by the follower to even look close it. (Please look at the pictures uploaded)

So, I tried messing with the files of the follower mod to see which mod I was lacking to have my character look like her, and I've come across only one thread talking about it when typing the file names in google.

My main point is : is there a way to "retro-engineer" a follower mod to see what mod was used or no ? Am I doomed to look for something else ?

Thank you for reading me. ?

Edit: added "follower" to the last sentence.

Before Swapping with Alternate Actors (this is Pei).png

After Swapping with Alternate Actors (this is my character when swapped with Pei).png

1 hour ago, Spartan95470 said:

is there a way to "retro-engineer

Like so much in Skyrim, yes and no, and largely depending on how the modder did what s/he did. First, if the modder chose to make things using a "hard" requirement it's actually fairly easy. You already know where to find "bits" from the mods that s/he used. Open the CK with the follower mod as the active file. Look at the CharGen tab and it should have the precise items listed. So far, so good.

If the modder chose to instead copy the meshes and textures themselves then you will also have to copy those from the follower mod. While you can do this for your personal use with impunity if you intend to upload this follower you will need to get the permission of the original author of the meshes/textures - which can be difficult.

Finally, I believe that you're being too hard on yourself. I strongly suspect that if you look at a RaceMenu tutorial or two (maybe three) you'll be able to make a good approximation of that follower's looks.

Thanks for you quick answer !

I'll try to do this but you can enlighten me what do you mean by "Open the CK with the follower mod as the active file". What is CK ?

Yeah, maybe I see the thing in a way too "I want my character to look exactly as the follower" but ... Yeah, I'm not used to that and it's kinda frustrating haha

1 hour ago, Spartan95470 said:

I'm kinda new to the world of modding, so I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge about this particular subject. I'll try to put as much context as possible so you can help me accordingly ! If I am in the wrong channel please redirect me to the place I should post this.

Arguably it should be here

https://www.loverslab.com/forum/72-skyrim-special-edition/

But under the Tech Support but I think for the most part the version doesn't matter and you clearly stated you run SE so at least there should be no confusion for anyone thinking you are running LE.

I am pretty certain this character was created with ECE and not Racemenu so there unlikely to be a Racemenu preset you can use, there will be a FaceGeom(etry) Mesh, in the install archive, that you can copy to Data\SKSE\Plugins\CharGen (rename it to something easy to spot if it's named just numbers and letters) and then import that to your character using Racemenu, suggest adding mask around the neck before importing or you may end up with a neck gap.

That's about as close as, I think, you're going to get using Racemenu. You can change skin colour and hair style/colour to your liking with racemenu. The horns probably come as equipable item or look for an SE race that has horns already.

6 minutes ago, Spartan95470 said:

Thanks for you quick answer !

I'll try to do this but you can enlighten me what do you mean by "Open the CK with the follower mod as the active file". What is CK ?

Yeah, maybe I see the thing in a way too "I want my character to look exactly as the follower" but ... Yeah, I'm not used to that and it's kinda frustrating haha

Sorry, The CK is the Creation Kit. If, as it appears, you have a legal copy of Skyrim SE you can get the CK from bethesda.net. After you have it downloaded just tell it to start (make sure you have all your files still from your game - that is, don't delete anything); from the File pulldown menu choose Data (a list of your files available should appear). Double click on the follower mod to make an X appear in front of it. Then, with it still highlighted hit the "Active File" button on the bottom.

9 minutes ago, Mez558 said:

But under the Tech Support but I think for the most part the version doesn't matter and you clearly stated you run SE so at least there should be no confusion for anyone thinking you are running LE.

I am pretty certain this character was created with ECE and not Racemenu so there unlikely to be a Racemenu preset you can use, there will be a FaceGeom(etry) Mesh, in the install archive, that you can copy to Data\SKSE\Plugins\CharGen (rename it to something easy to spot if it's named just numbers and letters) and then import that to your character using Racemenu, suggest adding mask around the neck before importing or you may end up with a neck gap.

That's about as close as, I think, you're going to get using Racemenu. You can change skin colour and hair style/colour to your liking with racemenu. The horns probably come as equipable item or look for an SE race that has horns already.

Were I to start this project from scratch I would go back to the source I first used for followers. It was done by CPU and can be found here:

While it was originally designed for LE everything listed (including horns) can be done in SE as well. It does talk about using RaceMenu.

16 minutes ago, Mez558 said:

Thanks for you answer ! So basically it gives me the face geometry of the character/follower, and since I have the bodyslide preset, I basically have all the "proportion" to recreate the character totally ? Still have to find the makeup things, etc... Do you know if I should post a thread to ask for help to recognize as much mod used to create Draedic Pei ?

11 minutes ago, Psalam said:

Sorry, The CK is the Creation Kit. If, as it appears, you have a legal copy of Skyrim SE you can get the CK from bethesda.net. After you have it downloaded just tell it to start (make sure you have all your files still from your game - that is, don't delete anything); from the File pulldown menu choose Data (a list of your files available should appear). Double click on the follower mod to make an X appear in front of it. Then, with it still highlighted hit the "Active File" button on the bottom.

Nice ! I'm actually trying to use CK to discover which mod have been used. There's a lot of errors when I'm opening the files though.. Like image.png.7337a43162020a9af58cc7f5b5429a2e.png

I'll give you news very soon if I succeeded. Sorry for taking your time.

36 minutes ago, Spartan95470 said:

Thanks for you answer ! So basically it gives me the face geometry of the character/follower, and since I have the bodyslide preset, I basically have all the "proportion" to recreate the character totally ? Still have to find the makeup things, etc... Do you know if I should post a thread to ask for help to recognize as much mod used to create Draedic Pei ?

Nice ! I'm actually trying to use CK to discover which mod have been used. There's a lot of errors when I'm opening the files though.. Like image.png.7337a43162020a9af58cc7f5b5429a2e.png

I'll give you news very soon if I succeeded. Sorry for taking your time.

15 minutes ago, Spartan95470 said:

So, uh... I tried to open the mod in CK but I didn't found at all the "CharGen tab" :classic_sad: Do you know where can I find it ?

Lots of errors is normal. Hit ignore and go on. I'm sorry, I've done this so many times that I skipped steps. In the Object Window go to Actors. From the list of actors that should now appear scroll down until you find the one you want (the one added by the mod). Alternatively, you can type the name in the search box on the left. When you find the actor double click on the name and you will get all the information on the actor (the follower in your case) which will be divided into tabs. One of these is the CharGen tab.

Following on from @Mez558's suggestion, try this:

Copy 00005E4B.dds and 00005E4B.nif (choose either the long or short hair version of the nif) and paste them into

Data\SKSE\Plugins\chargen

Open up Racemenu and import the .nif onto a body of your choice. You might have to set the body to 0 weight before you import.

I can't remember offhand and it would be too much hassle to use RM at the moment but once you have imported the head RM should show in the LH pane what parts were used and which are missing (in red).

Edit: The horns are called Astaroth Horns and I think they are available as a mod. Or you could use AIM to give them to yourself. Or console them.

1096808500_Pei3.jpg.6a314d7132d41142601331dd893c561c.jpg

2 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

Following on from @Mez558's suggestion, try this:

Copy 00005E4B.dds and 00005E4B.nif (choose either the long or short hair version of the nif) and paste them into

Data\SKSE\Plugins\chargen

Open up Racemenu and import the .nif onto a body of your choice. You might have to set the body to 0 weight before you import.

I can't remember offhand and it would be too much hassle to use RM at the moment but once you have imported the head RM should show in the LH pane what parts were used and which are missing (in red).

Edit: The horns are called Astaroth Horns and I think they are available as a mod. Or you could use AIM to give them to yourself. Or console them.

Hide contents

1096808500_Pei3.jpg.6a314d7132d41142601331dd893c561c.jpg

You really really really helped me out !

Look at the result ! I'm really proud of me. The colors aren't right I know but i'll ask you tomorrow (it's 3:36 AM for me lmao, i've been working hours to get things in a good track) about couples of mods to have the maximum level of fidelity

Sans titre.png

28 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

Wow. You have done better than I ever have doing that. ?

I have Pei in my game. She is from Honeypopcorn's Skyrim Overhaul

Reveal hidden contents

2028230302_PeiandJuliet.thumb.jpg.363637c1bf08a0f1a748d3cd1a26d1da.jpg

1690851955_Peithicc.thumb.jpg.cc3b9ad5a154b631ef23e1f804ad74f3.jpg

She's really sexy, I can only agree !

Btw, I have a question. I want to set an exact skin tone & hair color with a set of RGB values ! I've been looking for it on the internet, and I've come across the possible solution to edit a preset (.jslot file) of my actual character with racemenu. But, the values aren't like RGB but some numbers like : image.png.10664f7254eabb9ce3e75153cf1b4c18.png

Any idea how to do that ? (Because even if I can do an approximation, the author made a really good job to have the skin look perfect with this color.)

6 hours ago, Spartan95470 said:

Any idea how to do that ?

Not really my thing but you could try looking at Pei's esp in TESVEdit (or whatever the SE version is called) and copy the numbers from that.

1915923059_Pei4.thumb.jpg.5bb76942606820912812ab8192f06686.jpg

I think the QNAM Texture Lighting is the skin tone NAMA Face Parts are the numbers of the type, i.e. Nose 32 is nose type 32 in RM. (Not sure about this though). The Tint Layers are the makeup colours.

4 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

Not really my thing but you could try looking at Pei's esp in TESVEdit (or whatever the SE version is called) and copy the numbers from that.

[spoilers]

1915923059_Pei4.thumb.jpg.5bb76942606820912812ab8192f06686.jpg

[/spoiler]

I think the QNAM Texture Lighting is the skin tone NAMA Face Parts are the numbers of the type, i.e. Nose 32 is nose type 32 in RM. (Not sure about this though). The Tint Layers are the makeup colours.

That really helped me out ! And I figured out how to do it

When you want to have an EXACT color in Racemenu follow these steps :

- Load your save and open racemenu with "showracemenu" in the console

- Create a racemenu preset of your actual character, give it a name that is recognisable

- If you use steam : ...\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special EditionSkyrim\SKSE\Plugins\CharGen\Presets

If you have MO : (Your overwrite file in MO)\SKSE\Plugins\CharGen\Presets - Right click on the preset, open with something like notepad++ (it's a .jslot file) - Go to the "tintinfo" section with all the "colors : ... ; index : ... ; texture : ..."

- If you have an RGB value : Go to this website https://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_rgb.asp and paste your RGB values in there, after that on the right side there will be an hexadecimal code like 3f97cf for example. Then, go to https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/hex-to-decimal.html and convert the following hexa into decimal. After that, parse into the texture you want to change the color of, for exemple, your skin tone, go to the section with after "texture" the following sentence ; "Actors\Character\Character Assets\TintMasks\SkinTone.dds". Note : You'll have go in game, select the preset and change the alpha value so the color will appear

If you have an Hexa value : Skip the part with the RGB thing and convert directly to hexa then parse the decimal into the file.

- Save the preset and then launch the game, change the alpha value and PROFIT !

Look at what I've done now !!! image.png.13deb85e1301ce45aa4c19f177302738.png

21 hours ago, Harvald said:

And now you need the Bodyslide Presets of the body to create the clothing fitting this body. BONOBODY_UUNP.xml

I'll install it right away. I still don't know how it works but I think I can figure it out.

Btw, do you have any clue how to merge a hairstyle with an outfit ? For example : image.png.13deb85e1301ce45aa4c19f177302738.png

On this picture we can see that Pei have the demon horns and I believe it is not a armor. Do you know how to do that ?

58 minutes ago, Spartan95470 said:

I'll install it right away. I still don't know how it works but I think I can figure it out. 

Throw it to Outfitstudio slider presets, select an outfit and transform it

58 minutes ago, Spartan95470 said:

On this picture we can see that Pei have the demon horns and I believe it is not a armor. Do you know how to do that ?

For a player character I really do not know if it works, but most of the modders replace a beard mesh with the Horns in ConstructionSet and then choose the beard in Racemenu to get the horns aus headpart. 

For nice hornmodels look here http://www.mediafire.com/file/iy1ldza2wlt2cog/Skyrim_Accessories_Pack_1.02.rar/file

27 minutes ago, Harvald said:

Throw it to Outfitstudio slider presets, select an outfit and transform it

For a player character I really do not know if it works, but most of the modders replace a beard mesh with the Horns in ConstructionSet and then choose the beard in Racemenu to get the horns aus headpart. 

For nice hornmodels look here http://www.mediafire.com/file/iy1ldza2wlt2cog/Skyrim_Accessories_Pack_1.02.rar/file

You are really kind. I look it tomorrow !

2 hours ago, Spartan95470 said:

I realised yesterday that my current PC is actually wearing horns. She got them as loot from some one she killed - I've never noticed this happen before. I'm using them because they give an armour buff or something.

The horns are available here for SE

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/33038

958077317_Horns1.jpg.2bb710732b8e0494516c11f24f0c5bbf.jpg

1087002949_Horns2.jpg.12ddb1a07439aac05cac579bb61eafe8.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 3:21 PM, Spartan95470 said:

Btw, do you have any clue how to merge a hairstyle with an outfit ? For example : image.png.13deb85e1301ce45aa4c19f177302738.png

Can you tell me the color code for her hair?

please and thank you sir