[mod] Family Oriented [Stellaris 3.11 Update]

2 hours ago, Aled190 said:

Oh yeah! The mod's alive!

By the by, do you have any openings for minor events or the like I could write for?

I mean if you would like to contribute feel free, I've been focusing on more core mechanical stuff of the mod so I haven't had time to make event type stuff so anything event related is welcome!

3 minutes ago, sas0066 said:

Because of Incestuous Interest I am unable to modify my species, is there a way how to fix this issue?

If you want the trait gone from the pop you'll have to switch policies for inbreeding to discouraged or prohibited. Otherwise, nothing else should stop you from just gene tailoring that species and merging into it, remember you cannot remove the trait from species by merging out of it either.

Edited by dragondxlv
1 hour ago, MagnaSonic3000 said:

The trait system has always been a mess even in vanilla Stellaris. If I remember, it's a source of clutter and slowdown due to so many species types.

Which is the same reason why I don't play with the crossbreeding ascension perk for galaxies and I try to turn off Lithia's hybrid events since the perfect hybrid trait isn't worth ten million badly mixed races.

I've also disabled the incest conversion events so they don't apply to AI because it saves on computing resources.

Edited by dragondxlv

I'm really interested in the mod, but I just can't bring myself to take the tradition tree without those two last items finished: and I have some suggestions for them:

Oedipal Complex: 

Having family members as your lovers creates an insular and clannish culture that actively resists outside influence: however, if at tacitly accepted by society or more, such groups become equally receptive to embracing other societal norms as their level of acceptance.

Neo-Mitarai Ethics: +50% Governing Ethics attraction if Incest policy is set to Embraced, +25% if set to "Tolerated", +5% if set to "Ignored", -10% if it is Shunned, -30% if Outlawed.

Family Oriented: 

When a society embraces incest to this degree, it becomes very tempting to try to breed more lovers for yourself, causing many more births to occur than normal. 

Big Sexy Families: Pops with any of the Incestuous traits gain +20% Pop-Growth and Bio-Assembly.

• 3 weeks later...

In a deleted comment I spoke about certain features not being quite finished, such as the traditions and family planner jobs and remedies for the situation.

I may have gone a little too far and now I've made some major changes to the mod, overhualing and tweaking basically the whole mod at this point.

dragondxlv if you're reading this, I would be happy to share the things I've done if you are ok with it, for now I am keeping it private whilst I still work on some features. There's quite a few changes, the mod is still the same, I've just expanded and polished some of the features.

On 4/29/2023 at 3:15 PM, Vaalesha said:

In a deleted comment I spoke about certain features not being quite finished, such as the traditions and family planner jobs and remedies for the situation.

I may have gone a little too far and now I've made some major changes to the mod, overhualing and tweaking basically the whole mod at this point.

dragondxlv if you're reading this, I would be happy to share the things I've done if you are ok with it, for now I am keeping it private whilst I still work on some features. There's quite a few changes, the mod is still the same, I've just expanded and polished some of the features.

I took a vacation recently so work on the mod has been slow, so I appreciate it when anyone has anything thoughts or even contributions to the mod. Most I've done whilst I was away was AI generate a few imperfect icons for the tradition tree to make it feel more complete.

I don't know how much you've changed and I can't promise I'd integrate everything since I do have a personal vision on some features of the mod but I'd be happy to see what you've changed so far, even I know things can feel half-baked sometimes with the all the mod aspects I'm trying to cover. Especially since the new DLC and update coming out soon focuses on leaders- Which inevitably end up as my main focus for the next update.

Edited by dragondxlv
On 5/2/2023 at 3:33 AM, dragondxlv said:

I took a vacation recently so work on the mod has been slow, so I appreciate it when anyone has anything thoughts or even contributions to the mod. Most I've done whilst I was away was AI generate a few imperfect icons for the tradition tree to make it feel more complete.

I don't know how much you've changed and I can't promise I'd integrate everything since I do have a personal vision on some features of the mod but I'd be happy to see what you've changed so far, even I know things can feel half-baked sometimes with the all the mod aspects I'm trying to cover. Especially since the new DLC and update coming out soon focuses on leaders- Which inevitably end up as my main focus for the next update.

First things first, I am a complete noob when it comes to modding Stellaris. This is the first ever thing I've done, and I've tried to learn it on my own, so if it's scuffed (it is) sorry about that. Also the new dlc has so much potential, so I'm kinda excited to do something for that myself.
Anyways, things to look out for in my version are

• Tradition Tree redux, it's got some features that very jankily add special species traits so that the bonuses only affect incestuous pops
  • Complete overhaul of Family Planner job, with fixed icons and a building
  • New planetary decision, I'm not really happy with this however, so I'll either fix it or get distracted with something else and eventually come back to it
  • Technology tech has a different effect, I think this version makes more sense fluff-wise
  • Incest Policy now affected by tradition tree and/or origin
  • Toned down the planetary modifier for incestuous approval because it was kinda really strong
  • I changed some of the images around, but for the purposes of this public version I have restored most of them to their original images and put placeholders for the two I couldn't be bothered to replace

Family Oriented - Vaalesha.7z

On 5/9/2023 at 2:22 PM, Vaalesha said:

First things first, I am a complete noob when it comes to modding Stellaris. This is the first ever thing I've done, and I've tried to learn it on my own, so if it's scuffed (it is) sorry about that. Also the new dlc has so much potential, so I'm kinda excited to do something for that myself.
Anyways, things to look out for in my version are

• Tradition Tree redux, it's got some features that very jankily add special species traits so that the bonuses only affect incestuous pops
  • Complete overhaul of Family Planner job, with fixed icons and a building
  • New planetary decision, I'm not really happy with this however, so I'll either fix it or get distracted with something else and eventually come back to it
  • Technology tech has a different effect, I think this version makes more sense fluff-wise
  • Incest Policy now affected by tradition tree and/or origin
  • Toned down the planetary modifier for incestuous approval because it was kinda really strong
  • I changed some of the images around, but for the purposes of this public version I have restored most of them to their original images and put placeholders for the two I couldn't be bothered to replace

Family Oriented - Vaalesha.7z 787.25 kB · 7 downloads

I'm wanting to push a beta update soon but would you be opposed to me merging most of this into the next version of the mod in the upcoming few days?

I say most because whilst I was working on the update and fixing the mod after the dlc dropped, it helped to realize what I want to use of the Oedipus Complex effect as well as the overall direction and theme of tradition tree > Which is Unity, general empire stability (not the actual stat stability), and strengthening leaders.

Thus I've kept a lot of your changes in tact but moved Oedipus Complex's effects to family oriented (I also brought back the original tradition tree format before your changes).

So it would go family planning > family oriented. Then it goes Bonded society into either Devoted Kin or Oedipus complex. (This does mean the effects of family oriented are entirely gone)

Obviously this is a lot of your work and me wanting to cherry pick changes wouldn't feel fair to you so I'm asking first if you'll allow me to make these changes in the first place. Totally cool if you want to keep your work separate from mine in regards of conflicting visions. Otherwise, if you're keen to see these changes made into the mod then I'll happily add them in and give you all the credit you deserve for the amazing work.

Side Note: Also, when I started this mod I also knew nothing about modding stellaris and asked Lithia for help in the beginning so don't worry about being a complete noob, anyone who's actually bothered to look at my code for this mod probably thinks its scuffed as well.

5 hours ago, dragondxlv said:

I'm wanting to push a beta update soon but would you be opposed to me merging most of this into the next version of the mod in the upcoming few days?

I say most because whilst I was working on the update and fixing the mod after the dlc dropped, it helped to realize what I want to use of the Oedipus Complex effect as well as the overall direction and theme of tradition tree > Which is Unity, general empire stability (not the actual stat stability), and strengthening leaders.

Thus I've kept a lot of your changes in tact but moved Oedipus Complex's effects to family oriented (I also brought back the original tradition tree format before your changes).

So it would go family planning > family oriented. Then it goes Bonded society into either Devoted Kin or Oedipus complex. (This does mean the effects of family oriented are entirely gone)

Obviously this is a lot of your work and me wanting to cherry pick changes wouldn't feel fair to you so I'm asking first if you'll allow me to make these changes in the first place. Totally cool if you want to keep your work separate from mine in regards of conflicting visions. Otherwise, if you're keen to see these changes made into the mod then I'll happily add them in and give you all the credit you deserve for the amazing work.

Side Note: Also, when I started this mod I also knew nothing about modding stellaris and asked Lithia for help in the beginning so don't worry about being a complete noob, anyone who's actually bothered to look at my code for this mod probably thinks its scuffed as well.

It would be cool to see at least some of what I've done added into the mod. It would probably be better to have a single mod rather than two mods that are very similar but slightly different. My version wasn't meant to be a standalone, rather just expanding on what was already there.

If we can work towards a middle-ground that would likely be best.

Also I'm not sure I follow on the tradition tree changing back, I would probably have to see it to understand what you mean.

The mod is interesting and I like the changes to the Tradition tree in the last update. 

I'd like to see some kind of mechanic that affects gameplay a little more overall. Perhaps one where the amount of immigration/migration increases, the greater chance of a random mutation and/or shift in ethics. Just something to keep the player motivated to maintain the status quo (or go all in on radical change). 

Another possibility is to give them a bonus, or even a Council Agenda, that affects Shroud events. As if their debauchery really draws the attention of the Shroud. Perhaps the Shroud (or the Shroud cult guys) seek out the player rather than it being entirely random. 

Edited by SoCalExile
1 hour ago, turnerd20 said:

I unlocked a council spot, it says any leader can go there but nothing happens when I click the thing that pops up on the right

Each Civic has a corresponding unlockable council seat. As of now the only Family Oriented civic with a defined slot is Pureblood Dynasty.

LV has no seats either. 

5 hours ago, SoCalExile said:

Each Civic has a corresponding unlockable council seat. As of now the only Family Oriented civic with a defined slot is Pureblood Dynasty.

LV has no seats either. 

yeah that's the one I have, maybe I'm not doing something right on my end? or is there some type of mod conflict?

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_1.png

8 hours ago, SoCalExile said:

Nothing else has been added yet. 

8 hours ago, turnerd20 said:

yeah that's the one I have, maybe I'm not doing something right on my end? or is there some type of mod conflict?

Screenshot_1.png

I just realized while tinkering with the slots today is that I had

possible = { always = no }

in that line for the council position. I've fixed it since then and added a similar council position for holy family.

10 hours ago, dragondxlv said:

I just realized while tinkering with the slots today is that I had

possible = { always = no }

in that line for the council position. I've fixed it since then and added a similar council position for holy family.

hunted it down and changed it on my end, I iz master hakerz now lol

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update also causes huuuge chugging every month. Already did my bughunting - it's this one. Definitely something pop related, nothing makes my processer freak the fuck out except for pop stuff.

This is also after just starting a game when it shouldn't be that bad.

I am far too lazy to look into the code, but I suspect it's the new check to add the trait later. Maybe instead of monthly, make it a yearly check.

Edited by Promenade
6 hours ago, SoCalExile said:

The Holy Family Ascension edict doesn't seem to work for me. It doesn't give a perk letting you know it worked, and I can keep choosing it. 

I'll look into it, I haven't really tested that edict in a while so it's likely broken from the new changes to leaders.

3 hours ago, Promenade said:

Latest update also causes huuuge chugging every month. Already did my bughunting - it's this one. Definitely something pop related, nothing makes my processer freak the fuck out except for pop stuff.

I am far too lazy to look into the code, but I suspect it's the new check to add the trait later. Maybe instead of monthly, make it a yearly check.

If you're an old user of the mod then I should let you know that the devoted kin trait is added in the same event that adds/removes all the other traits, there's barely any difference between it and the other traits adoptions but I'll look into it. As far as I can tell on my end, performance has been the same- Do note, I also haven't been playing/developing this mod with LV for the past few weeks so it could be some unintended interaction if you have LV installed. I doubt it but still, LV isn't the most performance friendly mod out there because of all the pop traits.

20 hours ago, Promenade said:

I apologise if this is the cause, but I essentially just copied it straight from the Psionic tradition tree, it adds the devoted kin trait the same was the psychic trait(s) get added through events when you adopt the tradition.

18 hours ago, jademask114 said:

1.1.7 didn't work for me. When I started a new game it kept changing my hair over and over. 

Relooking at code, I think I figured it out- I redid the code for the initial heir spawn in the last update to make it fit with how I figured out the job changing thing, I forgot to assign the leader flag that stops it from making it spawn a new heir.