Can't see underwater

Hi all, I recently had to uninstall/reinstall skyrim and all its mods due to the game breaking to unplayability (long story). Anyway I got the game back up and running (this time following STEP a lot more closely) but I'm encountering a new bug that I didn't have before and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it.

When I go into the water I go completely blind. The filter becomes just a solid sheet of bluish green. I've tried tampering with BethINI to see if it was a settings issue. Specifically I thought it might be the "reflect sky" feature as I checked that despite the setup instructions saying not to, but no dice. Out of frustration I downloaded a couple of clear water mods to see if that would get rid of it even though I don't want a clear water mod, also nothing.

At this point I'm stumped. I didn't really get very many new mods (mostly just bug fixers from the STEP suggestions) so I don't think its the load order; though if necessary I will post it. One new thing is I upgraded the tropical skyrim mod with "Tropical Skyrim II" but turning that off didn't do anything either.

Anyway I hope someone out there knows what this is and how to fix it. One of the reasons I like playing an argonian is because I love exploring underwater (even if they did take away your ability to defend yourself in it... grumble grumble).

1 hour ago, Doodlecute said:

One new thing is I upgraded the tropical skyrim mod with "Tropical Skyrim II"

Long time since I used that mod but is there a patch for water - e.g. tropical or regular type thing?

Don't start making willy-nilly changes to ini files if you are using Bethini. Best suggestion so far is to turn off your ENB and see what happens. Other suspects would be weather and lighting mods.

solid sheet of bluish green.

this can happen with frame rates being to high... but depends on mods you have and what effects they have ....but frames rate will do the whole blue green thing I know cause I been there done that had the same thing.

I don't think I have ENB as I don't even know what that is.

I don't know of any water patch for tropical skyrim I'm not even sure if it affects the water in the first place. The last time I had the mod installed it didn't have any negative affect. My only thought was that the upgrade might, but turning it off doesn't seem to matter. Though strangely enough if I turn off all of Tropical skyrim then the "green water fix" mod works.

As for the frame rate how would I go about fiddling with that to see if its the problem?

I'll post my load order soon since its been requested. I was hoping someone would know what this is and could save me some typing. I'm about to go to work though so it will have to wait until morning. Since I'm going to be writing this out I got to ask something. I use Mod Organizer 2 I know the window on the right with the esps and esms shows the load order but what's the other window that shows the mods you've loaded called? And should I write it out too?

Okay here's my Load order.

Dawnguard

Hearthfires

Dragonborn

Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch

WM Flora Fixes

ApachiiHair

ApachiiHairFemales

EFFCore

Sexlab

Schlongs of Skyrim – Core

SexlabAroused

CreatureFramework

Uncommon Races of Skyrim

ZaZAnimationPack

ITortureFramework

Devious Devices – Assets

RaceCompatibility

BadDogSchlongCore

CellanRAce

Cerinian Race

Dranei

Armors_Draenei

Navatar

TsaesciRace

Devious Devices – Integration

Devious Devices – Expansion

Katia Race

Shark Race

Crimes against Nature

FISS

FNIS

Tropical Skyrim

PredatorsLostTribesV1

Complete Crafting Overhau _Remade

RaceMenu

RaceMenuPlugin

SkyUI

UIExtensions

Complete Alchemy & Cooking Overhaul

Relationship Dialogue Overhaul

Invisibility Eyes Fix

Statues

RaceMenuMorphsCBBE

Classic Races

Aps – Khajiit eye of fear

ArgonianFins

ArgonianHair

Argonian Swimming

BRB_BeastRaceBodypaints

Nighteytoggle

RDO – CACO Patch

SOS – VectorPlexus Regular Addon

SexLabTools

SexLabMatchMaker

SLAnimLoader

ZAPFurniturePlacer

MoreNastyCritters

SexAddict

PsycheAnimationObjects

Devious Devices – BRRF

DD_Helpers

MilkModNEW

MilkModNEW CF

MilkModNEW HF

PuppetMaster

RaceCompatibilityUSKPOverride

MMDAnimeRace

Animated Dragon Wings

Real Flying

Crimes Against Nature – Flamerunner

Uncommon Races of Skyrim

Schlongs of Skyrim

MilkMod_MilkPumpsFancy

MilkModNEW Sandbox

FlamehoofIsland

Tropical Skyrim - - Birds

HentaiCreatures

Shark Race Followers

BDHorseRace

BDHorseSOS

CellanDigi

CellanBBSchlong

Armors_Draenei

Remodeled Armor – Vanilla Replacer

Gri_BeastFeet

Naked Stuff of Skyrim

MagnoCumGaudio

SexSlavesForVanillaBandits

NARC

EFFDialogue

RDO – Cutting Room Floor Patch

HorneyCreatures

SexLabHorribleHarassment

Remodeled Armor – Vanilla Replacer – Daenguard

Remodeled Armor – Vanilla Replacer – Dragonborn

BDHagravenReplacer

FlamehoofIsland Pony Addon

Laura’s Bondage Shop

DD – BRRF_Patch – Laura

KnockedUp

CellanNPC

DeviouslyPink

DD – BRRF_Patch – Pink

The Dungeon

SOS – Katia Race Addon

LykaiosReborn

LykaiosDigi

LykaiosSchlongs

PredatorLostTribesV1 – Tweaks

PredatorLostTribesV1 – Tweaks SOS Addon

Serval Khajiit Race

Shark Race – Digitigrade

Shark Race – Sexlab Tails

Shark Race – Followers Collefe Room Addon

Uncommon Races of Skyrim – SOS

AllFemaleGuards

Weak1ing’s Twi’lek Race

RY_OrionRace

argonian housecarls

argonian houscarls hfdlc

DrunkenSluts

MoreRevelers

3 in each hold

LykaiosNPC

BDBirds

BDBirdsDigiFeet

BDBirdsSchlongs

BDBirdsNPC

BDHorseNPC

Lungaris Race

inkspottedtea_TropicalAnimals_Zebra

Crimes Against Nature – Vinyl Scratch

crimes against nature – wooden toaster

Cerinian Race – Follower

GorgonRace

Katia Race – Follower

Lungaris Race – SOS Regular

Prancin’s CaN Pony Races

No NakedCommentsAll

SOSRaceMenu

XPMSE

My Home is Your Home

Classic Classes

And this is where I’ve been putting any mods that are supposed to clear the water such as the GreenWaterFix_NoBlurTweak.

Learn how to use the tools you use. There is no need to type out load orders etc. LOOT and your mod manager will both provide one.

10 hours ago, Doodlecute said:

Though strangely enough if I turn off all of Tropical skyrim then the "green water fix" mod works.

From the Tropical Skyrim page

Other Changes:
-- Changes to the water.

I don't think I have ENB as I don't even know what that is.

That suggests that you don't know what ENBoost is either. I'm guessing that your game crashes a lot.

Okay you don't need to be so rude about it, I'm new to modding Skyrim. I only tried one other time and it didn't go well because I had no idea what the guide was talking about. It was my hope that reinstalling with my little better understanding of some of what it was talking about would help but I'm still running into problems.

So, how does LOOT or MO do that? Its the first I've herd about it.

Sorry for not looking up the Tropical skyrim water thing It didn't occur to me in that moment to check the page and it had been a while since I looked at it the first time.

And yes my game crashes that's why I've been going over and reinstalling this to figure out why. I went back to STEP since the ENB keeps getting mentioned, to see if it was something I missed; and I now know what it is I just forgot about it. This is all a lot to take in. No I don't have ENB. I downloaded the "TES Skyrim" file listed under the Patches/ENBoost but when I read STEP's guide to installing it the instructions didn't match what was in the file. It said to go to the "WrapperVersion folder" but no such folder existed. It also mentioned the files enbhost.exe, and enblocal.ini but those weren't there either. So I assumed I downloaded the wrong thing and couldn't find anything else to download that looked like it had anything to do with Skyrim. Since It's described as a graphic booster I just wrote it off as optional optimization.

Okay you don't need to be so rude about it, I'm new to modding Skyrim.

I wasn't being rude, that was good advice. Most of these tools do lots of handy things.

In order to get a stable game you will need these:

Crash fixes
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72725/

SKSE Plugin Preloader
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/75795/?

ENBoost (If you are using an ENB preset then you should already have this but it can be used without a preset).
https://wiki.step-project.com/ENBoost

Bethini (This will set your Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini files)
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/69787

Load Game CTD Fix (Stops Infinite Loading Screen (ILS)
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/85443/

The above tools will sort out your memory management and stop 99% of CTDs.

So, how does LOOT or MO do that? Its the first I've herd about it.

I don't use MO so I can't tell you on that one. As for LOOT, the 3 vertical dots in the top right. Click on them and a drop down appears and one of the options is 'Copy Load Order'. Do that and you can just paste it into a post here (use spoiler tags) or paste it into a text file for your own reference.

FYI - ENBoost is basically a memory management tool. An ENB preset is the part which gives the fancy graphics. You can use ENBoost without a preset but you cannot use a preset without ENBoost.

If you have ENBoost installed correctly you will see some text in red when Skyrim is loading (just before you get to the menu screen).

OMG I just found it. Now I feel like an idiot.

If you mean the ENB series file then it is not the easiest thing to find. Make sure you configure Enblocal.ini to the specs of your machine. While you are at it double-check that you have Crash Fixes and SKSE configured correctly too.

Okay I set up the ENBoost stuff and adjusted all the involved ini files as your link said and then my game became buggier than ever. Headless guards, cart flipping, saves not loading, and many more. I fixed most of them with some further fiddling and patches, even fixed the water issue by installing another water overhaul and placing it after tropical Skyrim which allowed the Green water fix patch to work. Not my preferred method for the water but I'll take it. There is one new bug however that I can't seem to fix. The cart flipping over when you enter the town at the start of the game. Sometimes it gets through okay but it always struggles now and sometimes flips over completely, breaking the game. Its a minor issue but annoying to have to restart that opening again when it happens.

Anyway I guess I'm good for now. The game seems to be working right now and I'll need to play some more to see if there are any other major problems. So thanks to everyone who posted and here's to hoping that its the last time I have to deal with a broken game. Because my gosh the number of hoops you gotta jump through for this game is staggering. But if anyone has a suggestion about the cart flipping issue let me know.

But if anyone has a suggestion about the cart flipping issue let me know.

That's a vanilla issue as far as I know. I never use the vanilla start so I don't see it. There was a post about it in the last week or two.

fixed the water issue by installing another water overhaul and placing it after tropical Skyrim which allowed the Green water fix patch to work

Does it not work if you just put the green water fix after tropical Skyrim? (i.e. without the extra mod)

Because my gosh the number of hoops you gotta jump through for this game is staggering

It is but once it is all set up correctly it is stable.

Okay I set up the ENBoost stuff and adjusted all the involved ini files as your link said and then my game became buggier than ever.

That should not happen. You should have posted the problems rather than attacking it willy-nilly with more patches and stuff.

>That's a vanilla issue as far as I know. I never use the vanilla start so I don't see it. There was a post about it in the last week or two.

Yea I know its a vanilla thing, I've seen it in a few blooper videos, that's why I figured it wasn't that big a deal but its strange that I never had it before this and now it happens every time.

No the green water fix doesn't work without the other mod. The green fix patch was actually one of the first things I tried even before posting any of this.

>It is but once it is all set up correctly it is stable.

Yea and it looks like mine's still not right. It went smoothly for a while but now its crashing and freezing again. *Sigh* I never had this much trouble with oblivion or any other game I've ever modded.

I didn't just go in willy-nilly with patches though. Most of what I did was follow the instructions you gave me with that link and compared it to stuff from STEP's page and other pages that were linked in each of their descriptions. The only actual patches I installed were the Crash Fixes & the CTD fix you posted, the realistic water mod which was unrelated and the improved closed face helmets mod, which isn't actually a patch I guess, but it fixed the headless guards things.

I just don't know what to do anymore with this. I've had the game for two years and have never been able to get much farther the greybeard's introduction. After my first round of failed modding I took a break for a while but this attempt isn't really going any better. Sorry I'm venting this is all just so frustrating.

22 minutes ago, Doodlecute said:

Most of what I did was follow the instructions you gave me with that link and compared it to stuff from STEP's page and other pages that were linked in each of their descriptions.

Do you get the ENBoost red text when the game is loading?

Similar to this

ENBoost.thumb.jpg.bf763435142a428152023518315f8272.jpg

EDIT: Just realised you are using MO so you will have to make allowances for wherever it is MO puts things with its virtual voodoo thing. Something to do with your profile?

Post your enblocal.ini

Your SKSE.ini should look like this

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=2048

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

Set your Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini to High (or lower) with Bethini.

enblocal.ini should be in the Skyrim folder not the data folder.

enbhost.exe should be in the Skyrim folder not the data folder

d3d9.dll should be in the Skyrim folder not the data folder

Crash Fixes.ini should be in Data\SKSE\Plugins

Loadgamefix.dll should be in Data\SKSE\Plugins

SKSE.ini should be in Data\SKSE not the plugins folder

Oh that's where you meant the red text would be. I totally misunderstood, in that case no my ENBoost is definitely not setup properly. So that's probably the big problem here.

My SKSE.ini does not look like that, it looks like this:

[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=2048
[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1
EnableDiagnostics=1
[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256
[Debug]
WriteMiniDumps=1

I just copy and pasted it from that blog link you gave. I see that some things are the same but others aren't. Should I merge the two or replace what I got with what you just posted?

All my files are in the right places though.

enblocal.ini

SKSE:

You can change these two to =0 or leave them be.

EnableDiagnostics=1

WriteMiniDumps=1

Not a problem either way.

Enblocal.ini

Not good.

This should be set to true

[GLOBAL]
UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=false [It's confusing but 'without graphics' means without an ENB preset. You are using only ENBoost so it should be true]

[MEMORY]

VideoMemorySizeMb=2000

That is far too little - it is less than 2MB. You need to run the vram test tool and do the maths for your OS as per this:

https://wiki.step-project.com/ENBoost

And set this to false:

AutodetectVideoMemorySize=true

Hang in there, tiger. We are getting there. :classic_smile:

22 minutes ago, Doodlecute said:

Well I'm still not getting the red text

On 6/16/2020 at 1:46 PM, Grey Cloud said:

enblocal.ini should be in the Skyrim folder not the data folder.

enbhost.exe should be in the Skyrim folder not the data folder

d3d9.dll should be in the Skyrim folder not the data folder

Did you check that these were in the correct location? Did you download the Wrapper version?

Did you make the corrections to the enblocal.ini that I mentioned in my previous post?