CRACKLE - Comforting fires for the discerning hobo -

CRACKLE - Comforting fires for the discerning hobo -

View File

CrackleLogo.jpg.0426bda05f7ca4aab88e1b438ad01e65.jpg

What it is:

I felt like something was missing from Fallout 4. I start a lot of new games where my character has nothing, and nowhere to go. Often using my light alternate start mod DLYH. Many times I'd get caught out in the rain only to come upon a fire. I usually roleplay being grateful to have the warmth, but the game itself gives me no such feedback and after a while such willful  "making your own fun" gets tiresome, so I thought: "What if the fires did SOMETHING... Anything... even if very small. So I made this little mod.

What it does:

Exposure and warmth:

Now when you come upon a open fire in the world, such as a bonfire, campfire, or fire barrel, it will grant you a little bonus to endurance and added protection against diseases in survival mode. You have to sit by the fire a while to warm up before the effect starts, but once it does it will persist as long as you stay near, and for a few minutes after you leave (less if it's raining) The disease protection is particularly useful if you eat in front of the fire, or sleep by it. I personally think this is very realistic and immersive.

Rain will now cool you off. There is no negative effect to this except if you get too cold it will take you longer to get warmed at the fire and receive the buff. If you are cold and not near a fire being under shelter will warm you up slowly, until you no longer have the cold time penalty at a fire. I didn't feel it was necessary to make rain more punitive as the vanilla game already raises your disease chance from being out in rain. It also works with snow.

Swimming makes you soaking wet, which makes you cold. You will slowly warm up when cold if the sun is out. as well as when in cover, but you will not warm up without a fire at night, unless you are under shelter, you will however dry from being soaking wet to merely cold. (If it's not raining)

Forage for wood, with potential dangerous encounters. However if your legs are crippled you won't be able to do this!

It works with fires in the world, as well as with the Workshop campfire and fire barrel added by Wasteland Workshop. It also works out of the box with the following camping mods:

Kitcat's camping gear (Recommended. Fires and tents as shelter!. Get "Firewood" item, and manual from MCM, and then forage for wood!)

Campsite (Fires, Forage for firestarting kits instead of wood.)

Advanced needs 2 (Fires)

Conquest (Fires)

Buildable burning campfires and fireplaces  (Fires)

Woody's Wasteland Stuff (Fires)

Sit or sleep anywhere, with Survival mode saving:

Now, you can sit on the ground, or on top of most even surfaces whenever you like. You have several positions to choose from including a wounded sit. After you sit you'll be presented with a menu. You can either just sit and look around with the free camera or wait for increments of one hour or 5. Unlike Vanilla waiting this is instant which is a RL time saver. (The method used is safe and will advance AI and scripts properly, it's the same one used in the firewood foraging) When you are done sitting and get up. (Re-open the menu by hitting the hotkey/MCM button again) if you waited the game will then save.

Now you can sleep on the ground (and again most even surfaces), as well as benches and couches. The mod uses AAF which will scan the area for couches and benches you can sleep on If none are found you sleep on the ground (or whetever you are standing on/in.) By default you will only actually latch onto the furniture 75% of the time. If you want you can up that percentage to 99 in the AAF.ini but if you do I suggest that you you reduce the furniture scan distance to something smaller like 200, that way you can decide if you want a particular piece of furniture more easily by standing by it..

When you lay down after a moment a menu will appear and you can choose to sleep, lay there with free camera or get up. If you choose lay there simply hit the hotkey/MCM option again in order to bring back the menu.

Unlike waiting this uses the vanilla sleep system. In survival mode, sleeping not near a fire is treated the same as using a sleeping bag. (3 hrs by default), wheras sleeping by a fire is treated like a Mattress (5 hrs) Because it uses the vanilla system mods that affect sleeping on sleeping bags and Mattresses will affect it. I've subtly altered the 2 messages warning that you can't oversleep on these items to be more immersive and frankly fit better with other vanilla messages and not sound like a preachy tutorial.

20200706161930_1.jpg.cc79fc1e81f354e45e15fc3cceac6302.jpg

When near a fire an option to play a hand warming animation (either standing or kneeling also occurs. To stop warming your hands simply hit the Hotkey/MCM option again. (May take a few seconds) 

Known issues:

If it stops raining while you are warm and by the fire you may temporarily have both the long and short version of the of the effect. I dunno if this actually makes the effects stack but they'll only overlap for 2 minutes so... have at it. ? 

Do not load the game while sitting, lying down, or warming your hands. Get up, stop what you are doing, or finish sleeping first. Otherwise you will break your pipboy and interactions completely and have to quit all the way out of Fallout 4 and reload.

Occasionally if you try to sit on a CHALLENGING spot AAF which is used to handle the sitting and laying animations may get confused and take you for a walk like you are a mind controlled zombie. Just wait it out... eventually it'll resolve and usually put your body where you wanted it... Though your camera may be far from it.

Requirements:

Wasteland Workshop

Mod Configuration Menu

Advanced Animation Framework v161.1 or above

LEGAL:

The source code is provided for you to make personal changes, should you wish to. It is not provided for you to alter, compile and redistribute your own version of the mod. The mod, Crackle is only allowed to be hosted and downloaded from Lover's Lab, and the Nexus, under my specific user accounts. 

@dagobaking for AAF which makes animation mods like this possible.

@requiredname65 for script input.

Those of you that actually come in the non adult section ?

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    04/04/2020
  • Category
  • Requires
    Wasteland Worksop, MCM, Advanced Animation Framework

Oooh - this definetely caught my attention. I am a huge fan of Frostall for Skyrim and tried Nuclear Winter for FO4 which was just too much because it was a little too much cold everywhere.

Reading the post some question regarding consistency popped up: What about getting wet by swimming? Are the nights colder?

Would it be save to use it with Horizon 1.8? (I am using the Campfire-Mod patched for Horizon)

6 hours ago, RogueMage said:

Oooh - this definetely caught my attention. I am a huge fan of Frostall for Skyrim and tried Nuclear Winter for FO4 which was just too much because it was a little too much cold everywhere.

Reading the post some question regarding consistency popped up: What about getting wet by swimming? Are the nights colder?

Would it be save to use it with Horizon 1.8? (I am using the Campfire-Mod patched for Horizon)

Like I said LAZY I may add immersion in water... I wanted to and would have if I could have figured out how to do it quickly. This was always meant to be a little palate cleanser mod to shake the cobwebs out before going back to work on Hardship. I actually didn't even intend to spend 3 days on it, but I had to rewrite the entire script because I figured out a much better way to use timers while I was figuring out how to detect shelter.

That said, this mod came out a lot better than I expected so I will be adding to it eventually and that is on the list. As for colder nights, it's something that I hadn't considered so yeah, maybe.

Update:

While looking into implementing some of the above ideas, I realized I did something wrong and you warm up any time it's not raining, not just while in shelter. I'll fix that in the next version. I don't forsee any of these changes needing a new save... but we'll see.  

5 hours ago, RogueMage said:

I am playing with the mod and got the messages that the rain is cooling me down two times . One time it was not raining, one time it was. I am using Vivid Weathers though. Do weather mods need a patch or should this work?

Hmmmm... I use NAC and it works. Haven't tested with vivid weathers. I could see the messages not showing up if VW doesn't set the vanilla weather type correctly but I'm surprised it would show up when it's not raining. 

The weather detection method I use is this:

Weather.GetCurrentWeather().GetClassification() > 1

A value of 2 is rain and 3 is snow AFAIK it shouldn't ever give a value greater than 3. I may have screwed something else up though so I'll doublecheck the script tomorrow. I added the water immersion and night penalty, but haven't tested them yet.

EDIT:

Downloaded Vivid weathers to see if there was anything obviously whack about it, unfortunately I know next to nothing about weather, and they were OH SO considerate as not to include their source code! (always love that... especially when I have to unzip a .ba2 to find out.) So I couldn't even check the scripts and see if there was anything weird there, so... sorry.

I think I ran into problems with weather dialogue conditions, way back when I was making a Fourplay mod, before I started using ENB with Fallout 4 and switched to NAC. (My ENB requires it) I think I used Vivid Weathers back then (But this was like 2.5 years ago) I know the Skyrim version would fuck up real shelter, which is why I stopped using it there.

I started a fresh save with vivid weathers to see if I could recreate RogueMage's bug. So far spot checking the rain weathers using Vivid's holotape they seem to be being detected correctly by Crackle. I'll have to check some of the clear or foggy anims too... My guess is maybe one of them is somehow misflagged as rain? But I'm not gonna be able to check them all... Vivid adds a lot of weathers and that holotape is slow as shit compared to the one from NAC. 

Edit: I didn't detect any problems with using Vivid weathers. I did however discover that  some Radstorms are considered snow even if you can't see the particles... Nothing I can do about that though. (I tend to run with Radstorms rurned off in NAC, myself) @RogueMage... Are you running any other mods that might interact with weather?

20 hours ago, RogueMage said:

I am playing with the mod and got the messages that the rain is cooling me down two times . One time it was not raining, one time it was. I am using Vivid Weathers though. Do weather mods need a patch or should this work?

I'm an idiot. You know what I think happened? Remember how I said I made a mistake above?

21 hours ago, Tentacus said:

Update:

While looking into implementing some of the above ideas, I realized I did something wrong and you warm up any time it's not raining, not just while in shelter. I'll fix that in the next version. I don't forsee any of these changes needing a new save... but we'll see.  

What you saw was the warming up messages one of which is "You feel chilly" I'll change it to "You still feel chilly" be less confusing. LOL Well at least now I know it works fine with 2 different weather mods.

New version is up!

New in Version 1.0.1

Swimming now makes you soaking wet, which makes you cold. You will slowly warm up when cold if the sun is out. as well as when in cover, but you will not warm up without a fire at night, unless you are under shelter, you will however dry from being soaking wet to merely cold. (If it's not raining)

Note about the water immersion: In order to get soaking wet you must be in deep water and swimming. I had to use a "On PlayerSwimming" event to detect it. If anybody knows a way to detect if the player is waist deep let me know.

3 hours ago, Olmech said:

Really like the idea of what youre doing with this. Would very much like to see this compatible with Advanced Needs 2 campfire if possible.

EDIT: and or Conquest Camping if you wouldnt mind.

I'll look into it. Links would be helpful.

Absolutely love the mod! Reminds me of Frostfall for Skyrim and thats a good thing! :D

I wonder, the soaking wet effect...is it just stats or a shader effect? If it´s a shader effect as well, could you also apply it to companions? :) 

31 minutes ago, elzee said:

Love this!

Can you move the messages from script to esp? It's more friendly to game mechanic and translators.

I'll think about it, that would require adding an awful lot of forms to the esp though. 

1 hour ago, akbaa said:

Absolutely love the mod! Reminds me of Frostfall for Skyrim and thats a good thing! :D

I wonder, the soaking wet effect...is it just stats or a shader effect? If it´s a shader effect as well, could you also apply it to companions? :) 

It literally just sets a global variable which counts down over time when you start swimming. I wish I knew how to detect the wet shaders with papyrus, then I could be more precise with it.

13 hours ago, Olmech said:

The next update will add a pretty cool feature (if I can make it work) so I'll look into adding those before I release it. I'm kinda cheating on working on The Hardship MCM, by learning MCM stuff whiile working on this... heh.

Just FYI the next update is probably gonna require a fresh save (One without crackle), or at the very least resetting the main quest with the console. So maybe don't play too far using this just yet. Hopefully any updates after this won't require it.

Update:

Given the bugs I've found I am gonna playtest this a little before releasing the next version. Since you have to wait I thought I'd tell you what's in store:

It will add:

-support for Advancced Needs 2 campfires. (In and working) *

-support for Conquest campfires. (In and working) 

-MCM button that allows you to forage for firewood, at the cost of time (Like Frostfall) If Campsite is installed it will give you a fire kit, otherwise will give wood scrap (working, but I may add random negative events similar to that boat travel mod for skyrim) You get extra wood scrap if you have a machete (Yes... There is no woodaxe in Vanilla Fallout 4... I'm shocked too.)

*It is unclear if the fire's disease resist will have any affect on AN2's Non vanilla maladies. I've asked the author. 

Update:

Sorry for the lack of Updates. I've been working on the Wood foraging while also learning more advanced MCM techniques. I now have it in and working, just needs a little testing. I'm gonna take a little time to add a slider to the MCM that will adjust the time it takes to get cold and warm up at the fire, as I've been told it's a little slow. As I have to learn how to do that it'll be a little longer unitl I release the update.

Remember: The next version will require a save that hasn't had crackle on it. This is unavoidable as I moved some of the events to a seperate script. All future updates (If any) won't require this.

Here's an example of one of the negative encounters that can happen when foraging for wood:

20200412093430_1.jpg.aad99888ca1615edc714f85d49d9bc9f.jpg   20200412093444_1.jpg.19fc72cd0327f5d2a3a3baf964176ab0.jpg

20200412093453_1.jpg.a0fdf4ae3d53d2eddb7da12dbda069b2.jpg   20200412093503_1.jpg.f5168eb756cd77d84cc61678683ad7ad.jpg

20200412093512_1.jpg.786c08bb0bcf8c9ced157648f2b97c4f.jpg

Appropruiate sound effects will play over the messages.

You can activate the foraging directly from the MCM or with a hotkey.