New Job, Idiot manager

legendarytoyou

I started a new job recently (working in hell seems a better alternative than a convenience store sometimes; at least in hell all you have to do is shovel coal) and while I like the job it has one flaw; an EXTREMELY ignorant assistant manager whose experience stems from riding his wife's coat tails aka: No experience in the field at all.  He makes idiot decisions that contradict other managers, tends to ignore important details until they hit him in the face and usually fucks up and blames non-salaried people who end up getting write ups or worse terminated.  What's worse is that there doesn't seem to be a correct course of action in dealing with him.

Should I just try to drone him out when he eventually cycles through (managers are rotated around different areas of the store) or call HR to maybe get him to pull his head out of his ass?

11 minutes ago, legendarytoyou said:

I started a new job recently (working in hell seems a better alternative than a convenience store sometimes; at least in hell all you have to do is shovel coal) and while I like the job it has one flaw; an EXTREMELY ignorant assistant manager whose experience stems from riding his wife's coat tails aka: No experience in the field at all.  He makes idiot decisions that contradict other managers, tends to ignore important details until they hit him in the face and usually fucks up and blames non-salaried people who end up getting write ups or worse terminated.  What's worse is that there doesn't seem to be a correct course of action in dealing with him.

Should I just try to drone him out when he eventually cycles through (managers are rotated around different areas of the store) or call HR to maybe get him to pull his head out of his ass?

Use the system against him.  The next time he says ANYTHING belligerent or hostile to anyone (not just you) write his ass up.  If he's condescending or rude, write his ass up.  Write him up for anything that constitutes 'a hostile work environment'.  Get people from other departments to watch him and have them do the same when he fucks up.  Another way to get him is OSHA or safety violations.

One sure fire way to get his ass fired; the next time he targets someone play it like he did it in front of a customer when you report him.  Then have someone you know (preferably a girl) call the store and complain that they witnessed a manager reaming an employee in front customers.  Make sure they relay how shocking it was and it make them feel uncomfortable.  Also have them ask if that is how the business is ran.  She needs to finish it up with 'it was embarrassing and humiliating'.

When I first started working I had a job at a deli counter.  The manager was a rank bitch.  One day I made a basic mistake on an order and the person brought the order back.  The manager went ballistic on me in front of the customer.  That was my breaking point so I complained to the owner...who blew if off.  That was until the customer called and told the owner what had happened.  Ms. Bitch Manager was fired after he got off the phone.

Whistleblowers' lives are hell, don't tempt yourself. He'll be promoted, find out who squealed, and move you to the bronx or south-central (some really bad neighborhood where clerks die a lot)

momentary revenge for your life(style) isn't worth it.

And don't talk about him to fellow employees, it's like he's in the fucking room the way people gossip.

No, you're fucked, but it sounds like only for a while.

Don't save the dress, don't testify, don't leak, geez.

3 hours ago, legendarytoyou said:

You need to document all of the stupid shit he does, dates, times, locations, what's said, what's done (or not done) etc. Then when they come after you or someone who doesn't deserve to take shit from him you have it all in writing and documented. That's when you go to HR on his ass. That's what I'd do. 

Remember, the management level in today's society is not what it once was. It's hard to deal with owners, and those whom actually have a say in things when they pay people more to stand between you and them.

Yep, Management is nothing more than a buffer between owners and the people whom actually do the work. Yes yes yes, they have the old 'use' still but really are more of babysitters, stand-ins for those that quit, don't show up, or fail during operation. When's the last time you were actually 'trained' by a knowledgeable manager? - or - Were you just dumped off on the employee they 'felt' could get the job done?

Watching managers fail at doing the job you're hired to do isn't motivating to stay in that company, much less inspiring. Promote from within only seems to work through Nepotism anymore. 

I understand there are still good companies, jobs, and people out there. But as they get fewer, the likelihood of finding an opening there diminishes.

I didn't write the rules, I just read them.....

Hmm..okay thanks guys for the info.  I'm patient but observant; I'll just wait for him to either cycle out eventually or make a full note of something stupid he'll do (which in the last few weeks has been nearly a daily occurrence).  What's worse is that almost ALL of my coworkers voice the same complaints.  It's only a matter of time I think before he steps in some shit and will either get himself demoted or worse terminated.  As Thrall said in WoW once, "We....are patient."

Archived