I don't belong to any hardware forums, and *any* forum is full of people wanting to make fun of sentence-structure, spelling, and blaming a politician,

But some things just gotta get asked:

1. Fiber-Optic display cables have very widely varying prices.

One is 100 or less, another is 400 or more.

The 400.00 one is called "AOC" for "active optical cable"

And the one that is not called that is 300 Less, but it *must* be active or it wouldn't work.

2. Nvidia control panel settings. It's a mystery to me, why have vsync AND a frame limiter.

Vsync doesn't do much but the "frame limiter" seems very nice. The dozen or so other 3D settings I leave alone,

they make no sense.

3. Do Directx12 games crash a lot? Or is it one of those settings I mentioned. 

generic replies are like locusts..."You get what you paid for," "Google is your friend."

So I never ever ask dumb questions like, is my optical DP good enough ("HDMI is better,")

It preliminarily solved an unsolvable problem with EMI Noise ("You could have saved more by buying Ferrite Cores")

Is HDR going anywhere? Windows loves telling me I don't have it, but I don't see the need, and people expired so I could afford what I've got.

Still, I wonder.

My 4k monitor only does 60hz, and if I use the frame limiter it doesn't flicker much anymore, so was it a setting or better cables?

("What exactly do you have?" ("We don't know what your problem is and we wouldn't know a solution if we did, but we gotta know everything about your hardware")

No, it isn't important to know what I've got, stuff is either true or it isn't.

New(er) winking monitor, very new Optical DP (that's an unassuming AOC?)

And I'm only just learning how to use them, how could you possibly know?

"Your clock is too fast, your voltage is too low, when's the last time you ran 'xyz'?)

Those quoted sentences are from the imaginary posts in my head from people who never have problems.

Summarizing, My game "Control" crashes daily for some obfuscated reason due to directx12

My monitor used to flicker, now it doesn't, when the water-heater fires up. Did my cable fix it?

My first purchase of an optical displayport cable went well, I think, I'm not sure. Any thoughts on DP/HDMI optical cables?

If you wanna meander and rant in my thread, have at it; I really hate it when a nobody starts a thread and lists rules for that thread.

DP has better throughput than HDMI typically (read your cables specs).

DP is what is required for the higher frame rate gaming monitors (144 to 250 hertz).

You can get a high end DP 5' cable for 15 bucks on amazon.  

Vsync is a display option found in some 3-D computer games that allow the gamer to synchronize the frame rate of the game with the monitor refresh rate for better stability. If the Vsync is turned off, gamers might obtain a higher frame rate but this action may introduce artifacts/tears in the game.  To read more about it and whether you should use it read this:   https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/what-is-vsync/

Your 4k monitor is not really a gaming monitor as 60 hertz isn't enough for newer games.  It will work fine, but you are going to be locked to that refresh rate no matter what cables you buy or what your video card will allow.  Whether this matters much depends on what type of games you play.

1. You get what you pay for.

2. Badly or Old or Badly and Old programming methodologies rely on separate instances of capped game parts, logic and render may be desynced. Saying one is superior is what a child does, (yes I know this is LL) They are 100% context dependent, pick each one as is appropriate.

3. Depends on the app entirely, RE2R is great after being updated in REM eninge, most other Capcom games crash like fuck on MT Framework. Bamco games run like silky smooth on D12, not so much on D11. D12 games will get much better once the new consoles are firmly established.

7 minutes ago, gregathit said:

Your 4k monitor is not really a gaming monitor as 60 hertz isn't enough for newer games

4K@110-180 is the defacto standard for this and subsequent years; my current 10bit/1000 nits runs at 120 and will be publicly available by June.

Google is NOT your friend.  Their entire being is based on data collection, which means they're collecting yours, too.  Most people under 30 anymore have grown up in a world where that's just an understood fact that such companies collect your data and thus don't see the danger in giving vast amounts of random "dots" to such companies.  Believe me, if you give them enough dots, they WILL connect them, which is bad for you. As the joke goes "We know more about consumers than they know about themselves."  The truth of this is seen in popup adds, which is companies selling you what you want before you know you want it.  Scary stuff.

2 hours ago, gregathit said:

I just got a gaming monitor that runs at 200 hertz.  The difference between it and a 4k monitor running at 60 hertz is huge.  I know because my previous monitor was a sony 43" 4k monitor that would only do 60 hertz.

But hey, go with whatever you like.  

You made it ok to post stuff in this thread, suddenly people showed up to read what you wrote.

OK last march or so, I bought a monitor costing close to 1K but didn't know much about it except "Tomshardware" worshipped the feet it stood upon.

I doubt I'll see another 1k in my lifetime.

But you missed my point about cables:

AOC/Non-"AOC" Fiber optic displayport cables are ALL active, aren't they?

I smell a technology changing so fast that the "hoary" cables are still astronomically expensive, while young upstart cables take over the industry, but that's a gut feeling.

The flickering's gone!! The behemoth water-heater just fired up (it makes a big sound through a wall) and the monitor didn't blink!!!!

Forget the hz, for a moment, I bought it to be immune to noise.

I am, except maybe while I was waiting for the cable, I accidentally punched in a setting that removed the flicker or lessened it (when the heater fires up.)

I predicted I'd have this false happiness for a week, in my blog at orphanrocks.blogspot.com, because I'd think the flickering was gone,

But it Really is gone, so that's nice (why?)

The quotes in my OP were what I imagined you guys would all say,

that my equipment is poor and unworthy and/or I have something set wrong.

Displayport-flickering is a thing, google it, but at least for now it's gone (but like I said, "why?")

If I went around pontificating that fiber-optic displayport cables were my savior, without realizing it was really something I'd changed in a dialog-box,

I'd feel bad when I found out the truth.

So for now I'll keep questioning whether someone bought an optic  DP-Cable (forget the hz) and eliminated flicker.

DX12 is another matter.

The game plays flawlessly for hours, and then three error boxes show up.

No one really knows why, but they have some ideas.

You can read more about Display port cables here:  https://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

You can also read about DP vs HDMI here:  https://www.pcgamer.com/displayport-vs-hdmi-which-display-cable-should-i-use-for-my-monitor/

As 27X stated, the best one for the situation will be dependent on your setup.

I can't say whether the cable solved your issue or something else did.  You may never figure out what solved the problem.  I'd guess it doesn't matter much as long as the problem stays solved.

If it comes back, try only changing one thing at a time and then testing.  Also, sometimes a particular game may require a particular setting to work right.  An example is SWKOTOR 1 has a bug that requires vsync be enabled or it gets stuck.  I don't use vsync usually due to my high end setup and that I have gsync.  But I googled why I kept having the bug and found that I had to enable vsync in order to play the game.  Sometimes games are just weird like that.

DX12 is like any other new tech, it will have issues crop up and as it becomes wide spread, those issues will most likely be resolved.

Hope that helps.

Was curious so started reading. Maybe it's me, but I'm never quite sure what it is you're getting at. So in my desire to contribute, I found myself looking into Fiber Optics as they are something I never thought I'd use in any personal application.

AOC vs regular - I simply googled 'fiber optics AOC' and got this immediately - hope it helps.

https://www.fiberoptics4sale.com/blogs/archive-posts/95047430-active-optical-cable-aoc-explained-in-details

It appears they are able to, with some modifications, send normal electrical current through a fiber optic cable  - instead of/as well as - photons.

Just passing information the OP seems to lack, nothing more, nothing less.

7 hours ago, landess said:

Was curious so started reading. Maybe it's me, but I'm never quite sure what it is you're getting at. So in my desire to contribute, I found myself looking into Fiber Optics as they are something I never thought I'd use in any personal application.

AOC vs regular - I simply googled 'fiber optics AOC' and got this immediately - hope it helps.

https://www.fiberoptics4sale.com/blogs/archive-posts/95047430-active-optical-cable-aoc-explained-in-details

It appears they are able to, with some modifications, send normal electrical current through a fiber optic cable  - instead of/as well as - photons.

Just passing information the OP seems to lack, nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks but current 21st-century technology uses tiny IC's to convert the electrical signals into "photons" (aka light) and back again at the other end, and I'm sure you feel like that explains why AOC $400 cables do it better, but I'm too ignorant to understand why.

I can certainly *guess* but I kind of thought someone else knew.

My bad.

What am I getting at? I'd be repeating myself. Nevermind, my poor excuse of an Optical cable seems to do the job very well, especially for minimizing EMI,

for me, right now. Next year or so I might be interested in another Optical DP cable and *then* it would be nice to know more.

https://orphanrocks.blogspot.com/2020/02/insomnia-or-back-to-fake-life.html, and https://www.nature.com/articles/srep35844

and maybe (it's more topical)

https://orphanrocks.blogspot.com/2020/02/real-life-revisited.html

17 hours ago, 2dk2c.2 said:

Thanks but current 21st-century technology uses tiny IC's to convert the electrical signals into "photons" (aka light) and back again at the other end, and I'm sure you feel like that explains why AOC $400 cables do it better, but I'm too ignorant to understand why.

Do what better? One has the capability to do something the other does not, regardless of the tech used. Go ahead, tried to power something electrically with a standard - non AOC Fiber optic cable, which can't convert the power to be transferred by the medium.

This is what I was getting at - The difference is stated, yet for some reason, this doesn't appear to be the answer you seek. Good luck in your quest.

9 hours ago, landess said:

Do what better? One has the capability to do something the other does not, regardless of the tech used. Go ahead, tried to power something electrically with a standard - non AOC Fiber optic cable, which can't convert the power to be transferred by the medium.

This is what I was getting at - The difference is stated, yet for some reason, this doesn't appear to be the answer you seek. Good luck in your quest.

Yeah I got all confused too. Plus I get muddled, is it a word, a phrase people don't get???

All

Optical DP Cables

Are 

"ACTIVE"

1. Fiber-Optic display cables have very widely varying prices.

One is 100 or less, another is 400 or more.

The 400.00 one is called "AOC" for "active optical cable"

And the one that is not called that is 300 Less, but it *must* be active or it wouldn't work.

You're right,

they'd all have to be active

or they wouldn't work.

If your dad was around when modems came out for everyday-consumers,

Or even farther back when four-function hand-calculators were $85, it feels like that,

but I wouldn't know.

para mí, los cables "pasivos" (no ópticos) atraen demasiada EMI del área circundante

Why a r e SOME called AOC? And the AOC ones are way more expeeeeensive???

But instead of bandying words I'll propose a theory that a staid company came up with some trademark they trumpet on their website, and everyone else just goes ahead and makes cheaper cables.

------------------

The part about directx 12 games crashing wasn't discussed much;

I'll propose yet another theory that the chrome-browser sitting open while on some advertisement-laden page, scripts and cookies flying thick and fast,

while playing the full-screen Control-dx12-game (running under the "epic"-game interface, almost exactly like steam), cause both the browser ("Oops, we yada blah error")

and the game ("device removed, jippii saatana hijole")

to crash eventually.

Closing the browser and playing the game has positive results (much less crashing)

But I still switch from full screen to my desktop a lot,

which might piss off the game.

But I have no proof and my research is very incomplete.

1575350335_nine.ninethreetimes3.JPG.ecf233cd22b0bac06c774b1db6d55196.JPG

I feel like doctor Darling calling from the Astral Plane.

I hope I satisfied your curiosity, and (THANK YOU) for bumping the thread, maybe an actual knowledgeable person will know.

Or not.

But it could happen.

• 1 year later...