Skyrim has memory problems? texture pack vs city overhaul

xyzxyz

Hi,

I have a new problem with skyrims memory capacities. I installed a generall texture overhaul a few days back and now I get this message when I come close to stronger modded areas (towns and cities). I did all the suggestions the message gave me befor but it doesn't help. What else can I do? My hardware is not the problem and the FPS is 50-60 most of the time. I tried fasttravel to a location near the modded area and walking the rest but after a while it crashes again.

To be more precies, it crashes whenever I come close to towns that were changed by  The Great Cities - Minor Cities and Towns and the texture pack is this one   Noble Skyrim Mod HD-2K. It works everywhere else just fine.

Crash Skyrim.PNG

(First of all, sorry for my bad English skill.)

If you mean 'Skyrim Legendary Edition' (and if I know about it correctly,) yes, it does.

Skyrim LE is made as 32-bit program, so it only can handle up to 4GB memory.

And that's why 'Crash Fixes' suggest those things.

ENB(or ENBoost) gives Memory allocating option, but SKSE does, either.

I use SKSE's allocating feature.

Which one you choose is up to you.

But it isn't recommended that use both.

(it causes CTDs in my case, at least.)

1 hour ago, Younhee said:

(First of all, sorry for my bad English skill.)

If you mean 'Skyrim Legendary Edition' (and if I know about it correctly,) yes, it does.

Skyrim LE is made as 32-bit program, so it only can handle up to 4GB memory.

And that's why 'Crash Fixes' suggest those things.

ENB(or ENBoost) gives Memory allocating option, but SKSE does, either.

I use SKSE's allocating feature.

Which one you choose is up to you.

But it isn't recommended that use both.

(it causes CTDs in my case, at least.)

So I can't use both mods at the same time, correct? Enboost and SKSE haven't caused trouble for me so far.  Other modded areas like castles and player homes work without problems although some add more area and structures to a location.

And yes, it's oldrim.

9 minutes ago, xyzxyz said:

I found a smaller version of the texture pack and now the cities load without crash. The loading screen time is very long and the FPS only half the usual but it works.

Great! Good for you! ^ 0^

And if your hardware is good enough, you can try getting allocated memory higher.

You probably want to search 'ENB Memory Settings'.

You can totally use ENB/ENBoost with Crash Fixes or the skse.ini setting. The only clash is between Crashfixes and the skse.ini settings (default heap and scrap heap), if you use Crash Fixes implementation the settings in skse.ini won't matter. If your issue are textures you need ENBoost.

• Get the latest ENB binaries + the enblocal.ini from the ENBseries website (there are just 3 files you need from the Wrapper folder: d3d9.dll / enblocal.ini / enbhost.exe).
  • Edit the enblocal.ini to enable the ENBoost part, for example follow this article.
  • In Crash Fixes enable UseOSAllocators=1 if you haven't already.
    • Check the "Common issues" section in the Crash Fixes description page, there are other settings that you may need to change if you experience certain crashes.

That message mean that the game run out of memory. But that only happend when your game is bad configured.

Be sure you have a file called enbhost.exe in the same folder as TESV.exe because is a part of ENB and, when you not have the file enbhost.exe, the Boost functionality of ENB not works and the game consume more mermory as more textures you add.

Configure your game correctly and all yours problems go to disapear. Follow the posted guides.

6 hours ago, xyzxyz said:

Most of my problems disappeared. Now  I just have to find out why the game freezes when I use the wait function for some seconds befor it starts counting the hours down.

That is a normal problem caused by the BAK files of the autosave. I don't know exactly why it happens ... but it happens. Go to your saved games folder, usually Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves, and MANUALLY delete all files that start with "auto", including files with a BAK extension.

If you have the same problem with quick saves, delete all files that start with "quick", including the file with the BAK extension.

It is strictly obligatory that you perform this operation MANUALLY, using Windows Explorer or similar.

It is NOT valid delete the autosaves using the game because the game does NOT delete the BAK files.

If you use the game, the problem will reappear after 3 autosave or 2 quick saves. Delete the files by hand.

6 hours ago, GenioMaestro said:

That is a normal problem caused by the BAK files of the autosave. I don't know exactly why it happens ... but it happens. Go to your saved games folder, usually Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves, and MANUALLY delete all files that start with "auto", including files with a BAK extension.

If you have the same problem with quick saves, delete all files that start with "quick", including the file with the BAK extension.

It is strictly obligatory that you perform this operation MANUALLY, using Windows Explorer or similar.

It is NOT valid delete the autosaves using the game because the game does NOT delete the BAK files.

If you use the game, the problem will reappear after 3 autosave or 2 quick saves. Delete the files by hand.

Did that but it didn't solve it.

13 hours ago, xyzxyz said:

Now  I just have to find out why the game freezes when I use the wait function for some seconds befor it starts counting the hours down.

Does the game actually freeze or is it just a couple of seconds delay?

I only rarely use the wait function but there is generally a second or two pause before the hours start the count.

51 minutes ago, xyzxyz said:

Did that but it didn't solve it.

Make specific test in your game to determine if, really, the problem is caused by the autosaves.

Open your game and look the autosave options:

Spoiler

SK1.jpg

If you disable the Save on Wait and yours freezess continue we must search in other side.

For other side, if when you disable the Save on Wait the game NOT freeze and ONLY freeze when the Save on Wait is enabled is because your problem is related to the AutoSaves with a 100% security.

If you are ussing Mod Organizer you must know that yours SaveGames and AutoSaves are NOT located in Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves

MO, normally, store the SaveGames and AutoSaves inside the profile of MO. I have it in D:\Games\MO2\profiles\Default\saves

If you are ussing Vortex and you have enabled the management of the savegames with Vortex you must locate the folder with the Vortex profile.

1 hour ago, GenioMaestro said:

It is related to the autosave. I deletet some autosave files in the Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves and they were deletd ingame too. I can't find any other save file location within NexusMM.

Maybe the autosave-function is just very slow?

On 2/14/2020 at 5:40 PM, xyzxyz said:

Maybe the autosave-function is just very slow?

Excuse me... I lost this message...

Not, the autosave is not slow. Need exactly the same time than a Normal Save. Look my saves:

Spoiler

image.png

I need MORE time to make a Normal Save because i must press Esc, Arrow, Arrow, Enter...

But as you can see, i can make AutoSaves of 15MB in 1 or 2 Seconds.

The problem, as i said, is caused by the BAK files of the AutoSaves. Probably, when the internal structure of the files not match or, maybe, when the sizes are too diferent, the game have problems creating the BAK files.

The Hard Disk Ligth start blinking in constant way from 3 to 10 seconds while the game create the BAK file.

Deleting the BAK files, normally, solve the problem but other times the problem persist or reappear after 3 or 6 AutoSaves.

Years ago, I had this exact problem in my game, in a persistent and unavoidable way, and I create a simple CMD Batch process to delete the BAK files in an automatic way. Use it if your problem persist.

borra_bak-public.cmd

Open my file with a text editor and change [UserName] by your real user name in your machine.

Execute the file before open the game and let it running in the console window. Play your game and, probably, you never go to have this problem again.

Archived