FNIS warning - expected generator path

Hi people, just a quick question. I've just updated from FNIS 7.4.5 to 7.5 and I'm suddenly getting a warning when I run the exe. I'll post the actual warning lines from the report in a spoiler, but it's telling me its in a different generator path than expected. Is that just a warning in case I accidentally did it wrong or is this an actual problem?

FNIS Behavior V7.5   21/01/2020 18:40:20

Generator: C:\Users\Me\Documents\steam games\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe
Skyrim 32bit: ??.??.?? - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\ (Steam)
>>Warning: Expected generator path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users<<

2 minutes ago, RebelInfernal said:

C:\Users\Me\Documents\steam games\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe

So you really have Steam installed in your documents folder? It can't even get the Skyrim version. No, you can't ignore this, you didn't install it correctly.

52 minutes ago, dontknowdontcaredontask said:

So you really have Steam installed in your documents folder? It can't even get the Skyrim version. No, you can't ignore this, you didn't install it correctly.

Really? I've had it installed like this for years now. Where should it be installed then, inside the game's folder in Program Files maybe? This is a regular folder that was made when I installed the game and its where I have Mod Organizer, Wrye Bash, ENBoost etc, but there is also the C drive folder with the game data itself inside which I keep untouched, so now I'm confused?

Actually, just realised - I use Mod Organizer so wouldn't that mean it doesn't matter where FNIS is installed? 

19 minutes ago, RebelInfernal said:

Actually, just realised - I use Mod Organizer so wouldn't that mean it doesn't matter where FNIS is installed? 

If you use MO you should install and use FNIS through MO. Check that your install path doesn't contain additional folders, usually people just press OK when MO ask to install FNIS and you end up with 2 additional folders and the install path is wrong. It should be something like:

• Mod Organizer 2\mods\Fores New Idles in Skyrim SE - FNIS SE\...
On 1/21/2020 at 8:18 PM, dontknowdontcaredontask said:

If you use MO you should install and use FNIS through MO. Check that your install path doesn't contain additional folders, usually people just press OK when MO ask to install FNIS and you end up with 2 additional folders and the install path is wrong. It should be something like:

• Mod Organizer 2\mods\Fores New Idles in Skyrim SE - FNIS SE\...

Huh, that is how I'm set up. That is the filepath, but for some reason the exe itself is listing the filepath of the generator as Skyrim/data/tools rather than Skyrim/MO/mods/FNIS/tools, which is where the MO executable points. I've just checked with my current installation using FNIS 7.4.5 and there are no errors thrown up even though the generator filepath and expected filepath are the same as the supposedly incorrect ones I'm seeing in 7.5.

Is this just a weird thing in the latest version then? The installation path is the same as the one I've been using for years, and honestly if the exe hadn't displayed an error I wouldn't have thought anything was different at all. I'm wondering if the 7.5 version is just a bit more harsh about this than previous versions and it thinks its wrong because of the odd way MO works?

15 minutes ago, RebelInfernal said:

Huh, that is how I'm set up. That is the filepath, but for some reason the exe itself is listing the filepath of the generator as Skyrim/data/tools rather than Skyrim/MO/mods/FNIS/tools, which is where the MO executable points.

If you installed FNIS correctly and run it through MO the install path should point to your actual Skyrim install, not to your MO install. That's how it works.

17 minutes ago, RebelInfernal said:

Is this just a weird thing in the latest version then? The installation path is the same as the one I've been using for years, and honestly if the exe hadn't displayed an error I wouldn't have thought anything was different at all. I'm wondering if the 7.5 version is just a bit more harsh about this than previous versions and it thinks its wrong because of the odd way MO works?

No, I have latest FNIS version for SE and it works as always. There is nothing different in versions 7.4-7.5 in terms of install or setup to work with MO.

I still don't understand where is your Steam/Skyrim and your MO folder tho.

Do you really have Steam installed in your Documents folder?

Do you have MO inside the Skyrim (Steam install) folder?

What's the full folder path to your GenerateFNISforUsers.exe?

1 minute ago, dontknowdontcaredontask said:

If you installed FNIS correctly and run it through MO the install path should point to your actual Skyrim install, not to your MO install. That's how it works.

No, I have latest FNIS version for SE and it works as always. There is nothing different in versions 7.4-7.5 in terms of install or setup to work with MO.

I still don't understand where is your Steam/Skyrim and your MO folder tho.

Do you really have Steam installed in your Documents folder?

Do you have MO inside the Skyrim (Steam install) folder?

What's the full folder path to your GenerateFNISforUsers.exe?

No, Steam isn't installed in Documents. What I've got in Documents is a filepath for steam games/SteamApps/Common/Skyrim and /chivalrymedievalwarfare. Looking at it actually, these both seem to be a copy of the game for some reason? There are folders for Data, DirectX10 and so on. ENB and SKSE seem to be installed in this one, as is MO but the Program Files version is a bit newer - from a time when I had to wipe the game and reinstall it I think. The Documents version also has a lot of text logs from mods I've used.

Now that you've pointed it out I'm a bit worried I've seriously fucked up here and I'll have to figure out a completely new installation for the game and mods alike.

MO isn't inside the Steam install, but I think I might have copied the entire game and put MO inside the copy's folder, though why I would have done this I can't imagine.

The full folder path for FNIS is Documents/steam games/SteamApps/commom/Skyrim/Mod Organizer/mods/FNIS 7.5/tools/GenerateFNIS_for_Users.

I am so confused now. Is it normal to have that steam games folder in Documents? Because I thought it was created automatically, but now I'm not so sure. Should I delete the whole steam filepath in Documents and reinstall MO entirely into the Program Files Skyrim folder, or should I keep it on its own? I have no idea how this should be now.

No, it's not normal at all. The default behavior is to have your games under Steam\steamapps\common\. And Steam by default goes into "Program Files" (C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files(x86)). Not in your Documents. Even then, it's recommended to have Skyrim and other software related to mods installed outside of the Program Files folders because these have some OS restrictions that may interfere with the proper functioning of your mods/tools.

You shouldn't place MO inside your Skyrim or Steam folders, there is no need to do so and you may end up mixing files in there. Better keep MO outside of Steam/Skyrim default folders (just make sure it's in the same partition/drive as your Skyrim install).

13 minutes ago, RebelInfernal said:

What I've got in Documents is a filepath for steam games/SteamApps/Common/Skyrim and /chivalrymedievalwarfare. Looking at it actually, these both seem to be a copy of the game for some reason? There are folders for Data, DirectX10 and so on. ENB and SKSE seem to be installed in this one, as is MO but the Program Files version is a bit newer - from a time when I had to wipe the game and reinstall it I think. The Documents version also has a lot of text logs from mods I've used.

If you have your games in there, well you have your games in there... right? that's why you have "a filepath for steam games". In your Documents you should have a "My Games" folder which contains a Skyrim folder, in there you'll find your save files and log files. That's all.

Yeah... you have a good mess in there.

1 hour ago, dontknowdontcaredontask said:

No, it's not normal at all. The default behavior is to have your games under Steam\steamapps\common\. And Steam by default goes into "Program Files" (C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files(x86)). Not in your Documents. Even then, it's recommended to have Skyrim and other software related to mods installed outside of the Program Files folders because these have some OS restrictions that may interfere with the proper functioning of your mods/tools.

You shouldn't place MO inside your Skyrim or Steam folders, there is no need to do so and you may end up mixing files in there. Better keep MO outside of Steam/Skyrim default folders (just make sure it's in the same partition/drive as your Skyrim install).

If you have your games in there, well you have your games in there... right? that's why you have "a filepath for steam games". In your Documents you should have a "My Games" folder which contains a Skyrim folder, in there you'll find your save files and log files. That's all.

Yeah... you have a good mess in there.

Yep, the my games stuff is all there as it should be. I think I'll have to reinstall SKSE and ENB, the stuff that I cant put through MO into the Program Files version of Skyrim, and then make sure MO is using that folder and delete the other one in Documents.

I haven't got the foggiest idea how I've done this, I must have made a copy sometime for some inexplicable reason.

Thanks for all your help dontknow!

• 1 year later...

I know it's fucking late but I encountered the same problem and never had a solution... 

Until now...

I attached Process Monitor, and saw which was the query that made the path be wrong...

In my case was for the VR edition, that REGISTRY key was being accessed by FNIS in order to search for the PATH of skyrim installation....

If you modify it, it will work again...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\bethesda softworks\Skyrim VR

3 hours ago, rucadiu said:

I know it's fucking late but I encountered the same problem and never had a solution... 

Until now...

I attached Process Monitor, and saw which was the query that made the path be wrong...

In my case was for the VR edition, that REGISTRY key was being accessed by FNIS in order to search for the PATH of skyrim installation....

That does not have anything to do with the OP.

12 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

That does not have anything to do with the OP.

I got carried over because of this problem, in any case, the warning message is the same if you moved the installation from one disk into another... There are others posts with people that didn't manage to solve it.

Sorry for picking the first one due to a hurry e.e"

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2021 at 9:49 PM, rucadiu said:

Until now...

thank fucking god. That worked. You're an absolute legend

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, donttouchmethere said:

Where? WHERE? ?

On 3/17/2022 at 1:53 PM, SolidSupreme said:

Thanks to this I was able to edit the installed path under the skyrim special editon folder. it was set to my C drive for some weird reason

Who knows what this weird reason could possibly be?

• 2 months later...

For people getting warning

>>Warning: Expected generator path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users<<

If you put FNIS in the right directories relative to Skyrim Special Edition/data (you have probably read heaps of other comments on it on various forums), it's probably because you have run Skyrim from the steam folder and then changed its location (which is stored in the registry on your system). To fix the problem go offline (to avoid Steam's auto-updates) and launch SkyrimSELauncher.exe from the new folder in which Skyrim is located, it will update your registry with the correct path.
In case you cannot run SkyrimSELauncher.exe, create a textfile in the game directory named steam_appid.txt and write 489830 (for SE) or 72850 (LE) and run it again.

• 6 months later...

Until now...

Thank you! I moved my Skyrim to another drive and was getting this error, but now it just work. God bless you!

• 6 months later...

Until now...

Yep, that was it. My main gaming SSD crashed recently and I installed the game on a different drive and made new, clean install of all mods. FNIS tried to locate the exe on the dead drive...

Edited by test_dude