is their a way to stop windows 10 from constantly updating ?

i am not constantly online but everytime i connect to internet all background apps and windows 10 updates making my internet slow to responce. windows 7 and 8 i did not have this problem. is their a way i can make somekind of schuedule to prevent this annoying thing to occur instead of all the time ?

If you don't have an always on connection, you might want to set your connection to Metered which should make it not download some of the less important updates.

Using the update defer feature could work if you can also schedule yourself to turn the computer on and connect when not doing other things.  There is also a feature to not ask to install updates during your normal working hours, but I don't think that prevents downloads since most software developers just assume we are all on high speed connections and can download their latest wondrous improvements to our lives whenever they want to push them.

One of the differences between 7/8 and 10 are the sizes of the updates (though less so when MS started merging all of the 7 updates together with the 10 method). There is a lot more to download, and depending on how long you are offline between connections, Windows will be more likely to try and download everything at once if it is too far behind.

The best option might be, if possible, connecting more often when you are doing less. If you can only connect outside of your house and cannot remain there for unlimited time, that will be an issue (and I'm guessing why you have your current question).

you can start services.msc and disable the update service. But that will only stop Windows from updating. Other non MS-programs use their own update tools. An easy way to skip Windows Updates is to make an service update - load the actual ISO from MS ( atm Windows10 1909) and install it as an update. The ISO include all patches and updates (i think) till september.  Some help sites and PC-magazines publish their own update packs for windows and you only need to install that for the patches, because if you use the normal update service it uses the timeline meaning if you for example did not logon since 03.2019 every pack will be downloaded and installed even if there is a later package that will overwrite it. In the packs from the helpsites and pc-magzines are only the latest patches since the last mainupdate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 12:32 AM, Zor2k13 said:

What happens if you don't connect a windows 10 computer to the internet for a few months? does it freak out and refuse to work anymore?

no. It'll just update.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I used this successfully to avoid the 'creators update' for a long time. I failed when after a few months with no internet, I forgot to make sure it was running when the cable guy 'turned me on' and then it was too late. Luckily it seems that update finally had the bugs 'fixed' and it wasn't the end all it once was. Microsoft using AAA gaming tactics - release buggy shit and patch later.

https://download.cnet.com/developer/o-o-software/i-6267447

• 1 year later...