How do I make custom head fit vanilla neck shape/body? (Fallout New Vegas)

Hi this is my first time posting on LoversLab so sorry if this question/topic is an the wrong section. On to the topic at hand, I want to create a custom head for Fnv but I'm having the problem of trying to fit my custom head to the vanilla neck shape.

Example of what I'm talking about. https://ibb.co/48L4WG5

Some possible solutions that I've come up with is removing part of my neck area then using the weld tool to connect my head to vanilla neck but that resulted in the textures/mesh looking stretch and messed up. Another solution was trying to connect my head to the vanilla body but that wouldn't work because the result will look ugly and have clipping issues with armor, later on. I've looked at Dragbody's different head model and he has manage to achieve the result that I want.

Example of what I want to achieve: https://ibb.co/3c51kJD

If anyone can point me in the right direction as to what I could do in order to fit my custom head to the right shape, I would appreciate it. Furthermore, I'm using 3dmax 2017 for the modeling and plan to use blender 2.49 when I export later on.

• 3 months later...

A simple fix would be to just somehow edit the mesh so that it makes edges all around the intersection of both meshes and then just delete the excess verts that are poking out.

I'm not sure what 3D modeling program you want to use, but an easy way to do it in blender is to first import both meshes, either as .nifs or .objs. Then apply a boolean modifier (you can google/youtube how to use modifiers in blender) to your custom mesh and select the other model as the object for the modifier. Then change the setting from "difference" to "intersect" and maybe adjust the overlap threshold. I recommend being in wireframe mode to see the intersections more clearly.

Just be aware that boolean modifiers are kind of janky and you probably have to delete the 2nd mesh's head that's overlapping your custom mesh and just have the neck part that intersects, or else the boolean modifier will also make intersection edits on the head part of the mesh.

Another simple way would be to instead import the body mesh and combine the head to fit on the body instead. Then just delete the body before exporting the head. Again there are many ways to do the same thing, just find whatever works for you.

BTW, you can easily export separate meshes from .nif files to .obj, nif, .fbx and even tris using the Outfit Studio from body slide. Importing in meshes is also supported so an easy way to make new custom meshes is to first load up an existing mesh, then import a custom mesh (if it doesn't have textures you'll need to go into its properties from the list in the right, and manually add the location of the textures starting from the "textures\" directory, ex. "textures\mycoolmod\facetexture.dds) adjust it's position/rotation/scale to fit as close as possible to the original mesh, then just transfer/copy the bone weights from the original mesh into the new custom mesh (You'll need the name of the original reference mesh to be highlighted green by ticking "Set Reference" in it's properties menu.) Results may vary with the bone weights and you may need to manually repaint some bones.

Once you're done, create a project save of the mesh first before exporting incase you ever need to do any edits, and just delete the original mesh and export the custom nif with a unique name. On the mesh list (the names with an eye next to them) whatever is highlighted green will not be exported unless you choose to export the nif with the reference. Make sure you don't overwrite the project save after deleting the reference mesh, making a new save is fine though.

Guest Shadd Ashborn

Whan exactly headmesh you want to fit?

Making seam is not enough in any case. You will need to make all morphs for .tri file, otherwise head will be just like static mask.

The egt files for heads and bodies have different weight values, that's why FO3/NV have those horrendous neck seams. i.e. they're broken.

I know of only two people who have pulled this off.  dimon99 made a version of Type3 he never released.  Kiwi made a version of COTW that he did release, but good luck finding it.  The learning curve on this is steep.  The weight painting is a serious chore.  It takes a lot of time.  The results may not be what you think they will be.

You'll need a rig skeleton that has all of the nodes and bones you want to use.  Import the head/body files and clear the parent.  Then delete that skeleton.  Import the rig skeleton into that session.  Parent the head/body meshes to the imported skeleton.  Then you'll need to remove all of the weights from your problem mesh areas and weight paint them by hand using a brush size that won't cover more than one vertice at a time.  Since the head and body are different meshes the weights on the adjoining vertices of the neck and body need to be exactly the same.  Once that is done save as Blend file.

Open the Blend file and delete the body, then generate a new egt for the head.  Open the Blend file again and delete head, then generate a new egt for the body.  Open the Blend file yet again and NOW you can export the meshes as nifs.

NOTE: The egt plugins for Blender do not work with 2.71.  I only use 3dMax for converting DAZ and Poser files into objs so I have no idea what v2017 offers.

• 7 months later...

I would start by importing the body. In edit select all verts in neck hole. Copy them and delete the body exept for the neck seam verts. Now import your custom head and join the two together making sure never to move neck seam verts.  Cant help you with rest of process in getting it to work ingame.

• 4 weeks later...