Fallout IV for Beginners - V3.2.9 (Fusion Girl / Bodytalk)

First, believe me when I say I don't want to pirate this thread.  I just like picking people's creative brains.  That said, and while we wait for Aylis to produce her magic yet again, I have a personal observation, and a question.

Right.  There's a lot of inconsistancies in FO4.  Ok, alternate timeline, everyone still loves 120 year old music and aesthetics...fine.  It's a game.  Suspension of disbelief and all that.  No problem.  But some are just so glaring I need to do something about it.  I mean if I have to suspend disbelief completely, I'll play Skyrim.  I'd like a few things to be....well, maybe not so much real  as authentic. 

Case in point: We have Nate and Nora.  Nate is a former soldier, Nora is a lawyer.  But when you start the character creation, there's nothing that points to either character having any formal training in anything.  Nate's combat skills are completely nullified, Nora can potentially have an intelligence of 1.  So much for college and law school.

Also, to complicate things, compared to FO3 and New Vegas, the SPECIAL points are downright stingy.  in FO3 you had all  your stats at 5, with 5 points to spare.  In FO4, that's equivalent to having 33 points to use as opposed to the 21 we get.  And to get anything CLOSE to New Vegas, you'd need to install Horizon.  Um...no.  If for no other reason my loadlist would be filled with patches.  So, in order to redress the balance and stay at least a little lore friendly, I now start with 42.  Each stat starts at 1, which gives me 35 to play with. 

All this lead me to create my own backstory, and I've edited points and perks to reflect that.  I don't think of it as cheating, I think of it as compensating for bad planning.  Just as a simple example, my character is a former prosecutor.  Immediately her INT and CHA are pumped up to 10.  The nature of the job requires a bit of INTIMIDATION, since the Justice system IS adversarial, after all.  INSPIRATIONAL fits, since she had to persuade jurys.  Perhaps even a rank of LOCAL LEADER would be in order.  If you're playing a male and a former soldier, RIFLEMAN and GUNSLINGER should be included by necessity. 

You see where Im going with this.  Don't get me wrong, as tempting as it might be, I don't go overboard.  I've also factored in faults, such as reducing stats like Strength or Agility, due to being frozen for 210 years, so I feel like I'm balancing advantages with disadvantages.

See my point?

So my question is:  Does anyone ever backstory their character or edit their character?  I realised I've been modding my game to fit my backstory, rather than fitting my character to the game.  Does that make sense?  I could go through the entire thing, but that's for another thread, another time..

Update: Planned changes (NOT finished yet!)

Mods to be removed

Spoiler

FO4LODGen-Resources                                                          Not needed anymore

LOD Textures for FO4LODGen                                                                 ''

Better LOD                                                                                               ''

A Forest                                                                                  Modpage is gone (aka problems ahead)

Tookie's Textures-Grass and Plants                                        Not needed anymore

Luxor's Greenery                                                                                     ''

Feral Ghouls Replacer                                                            Start to stick out too much

FO3 And FO4 Ghouls                                                             Same

Ghouls Add Sound Caiena                                                     Gets replaced

Workbench Humming - Cut content restored                      Not needed anymore and gets replaced

Defense Gun                                                                          Gets replaced

Defense Gun replacer for pipe-guns                                     Now hidden on Nexus

Visual Reload - DefenseGun V1.1                                          Not needed anymore

38 Revolver - Pipe revolver replacer                                                       ''

XM2010                                                                                  Good mod, but looks and feels too modern and somewhat out of place.

XM2010 AMD Patch                                                               Not needed anymore

Entries for 'CRP'                                                                     Too taxing and we're already close to the visuals

Entries for Tookies 'HK USP'                                                  Hate the 'close-combat-dildo'.

Mods to be added

Spoiler

BNS Trees Only                                                                        Replacement for 'A Forest'

Pine Trees Redone1 - BNS 2.4                                                                    ''

?Can be flagged as ESL

GRASSLANDS - A Fallout 4 Grass Overhaul

?Don't forget to DELETE the textures folder

?Can be flagged as ESL

Luxor's Summer                                                                       A gamechanger when it comes to flora

MCM Booster                                                                          Small little helper

FGEP - Feral Ghouls Expansion Pack                                       Fit perfectly into the game

Buzzbites Patch for CC Coffee and Donuts Workshop Pack

Vertibird Landing Pads                                                            Might be useful for some

Cut SFX Restored                                                                     Didn't know this would be such a nice little 'extra'.

Ghoul Sound Replacer (Video)                                                Sounds imo better than the older one

Sound Overhaul - Frag Grenade                                             Better Sound

?Can be flagged as ESL

FO4 Revisions (FO4R)                                                              Gameplay overhaul (thanks for the suggestion)

Post-apocalyptic homemade weapons. Replacer                   Replacing the fugly pipe weapons

20mm Vulcan Rounds for Machineguns Rebirth                    Upgrade

MW2019 sounds for M1A                                                       Something we definitely needed

Reactor ENB - WTTO Patch                                                     Compatibility patch

?Obviously only for those who use this ENB

HK USP                                                                                     Replacer for Tookie's version

?Don't forget to merge the 'HK USP - LvlList Patch' and the 'HK USP - Update' into the main mod.

HK USP - Tactical Reload Patch

HK USP - Amd Fix

?Obviously only needed if you use a Radeon.

G36 New firing sounds                                                            Better Sound 

M60 New Firing sounds                                                           Nice improvement

Hopefully i don't have to add more 'icon patches'.

Edited by Aylis
1 hour ago, DarthNyriss said:

First, believe me when I say I don't want to pirate this thread.  I just like picking people's creative brains.  That said, and while we wait for Aylis to produce her magic yet again, I have a personal observation, and a question.

Right.  There's a lot of inconsistancies in FO4.  Ok, alternate timeline, everyone still loves 120 year old music and aesthetics...fine.  It's a game.  Suspension of disbelief and all that.  No problem.  But some are just so glaring I need to do something about it.  I mean if I have to suspend disbelief completely, I'll play Skyrim.  I'd like a few things to be....well, maybe not so much real  as authentic. 

Case in point: We have Nate and Nora.  Nate is a former soldier, Nora is a lawyer.  But when you start the character creation, there's nothing that points to either character having any formal training in anything.  Nate's combat skills are completely nullified, Nora can potentially have an intelligence of 1.  So much for college and law school.

Also, to complicate things, compared to FO3 and New Vegas, the SPECIAL points are downright stingy.  in FO3 you had all  your stats at 5, with 5 points to spare.  In FO4, that's equivalent to having 33 points to use as opposed to the 21 we get.  And to get anything CLOSE to New Vegas, you'd need to install Horizon.  Um...no.  If for no other reason my loadlist would be filled with patches.  So, in order to redress the balance and stay at least a little lore friendly, I now start with 42.  Each stat starts at 1, which gives me 35 to play with. 

All this lead me to create my own backstory, and I've edited points and perks to reflect that.  I don't think of it as cheating, I think of it as compensating for bad planning.  Just as a simple example, my character is a former prosecutor.  Immediately her INT and CHA are pumped up to 10.  The nature of the job requires a bit of INTIMIDATION, since the Justice system IS adversarial, after all.  INSPIRATIONAL fits, since she had to persuade jurys.  Perhaps even a rank of LOCAL LEADER would be in order.  If you're playing a male and a former soldier, RIFLEMAN and GUNSLINGER should be included by necessity. 

You see where Im going with this.  Don't get me wrong, as tempting as it might be, I don't go overboard.  I've also factored in faults, such as reducing stats like Strength or Agility, due to being frozen for 210 years, so I feel like I'm balancing advantages with disadvantages.

See my point?

So my question is:  Does anyone ever backstory their character or edit their character?  I realised I've been modding my game to fit my backstory, rather than fitting my character to the game.  Does that make sense?  I could go through the entire thing, but that's for another thread, another time..

It does. Thats why i use a mod that changes it so NORA was a army lawyer. I use the officer version and like you i crank her intellegence and charisma up, but you don't necessarily need them at 10 to start, She may not have been the brightest lawyer in the army. For mine she's usually at 7 (i think of them as percents rather than 1-10, so shes 70% smart, not nuclear physics smart, but smart for a lawyer, she also doesn't need to be really really charming, again i start her at 6-7 since her first persuasion attempt is a 210 year old robot thats been trying to wax a rusted car and has made zero attempt to go someplace like grey garden or return to general atomics for service in that entire time. Could he have developed further? highly unlikely, we are not in Detroit. Codworth would have been limited by the programming that was set in his memory core. I doubt they would have allowed him to re-write his own programming and would have been hardwired to not even attempt it. No other bot in the game does so. Except curie, who is also a companion. (yeah and IVY) but still. it required a huge suspension in belief just to get past that ( i read a lot of Asimov when i was a kid) and while the 3 rules are fatally flawed, they were and are still the backbone of the current robotics programs in the world, a robot may not harm a human, or through inaction allow a human to be harmed. he would have turned into a mr gutsy against robots or creatures to defend humans, regardless of what was done to him by the humans, raiders, scavs, ghouls. He would have recognized ghouls as human, and acted accordingly. But with the past/future of fallout, those rules are not in use. so the ability to expand past his programming were not there either. General Atomics would have wanted him to act in these exact parameters and would have programmed those in. I'm pretty sure i messed up that argument but hell, i forget alot of shit these days. 

1 hour ago, Aylis said:

@jaeos

Ah, got it. Hmmm, i don't think it really fits. With it they remind me too much of old rotting zombies.

I really wish Bethesda would have kept the look of the ferals closer to 'normal', just crazy, ghouls (perhaps sort of 'mummified' for really old ones).

In fallout and fallout 2 ghouls were the zombies of the game, it's the basic cannon fodder principal. lots of shit that can kill you in hoards, but individually they are only annoying as hell. And they were ugly as an Edsel monster truck. Then fallout 4 made them into more cuddly mummies with bloated bellies. Those mods just try to rectify that and turn them back into the things you might want to go around rather than straight up fight at the beginning of a game. 

cause I'm a sucker for explosions Grenade Expansion Pack 2 -- M79 Grenade Launcher and New Explosives

Fusillade Grenade Launcher

or if you want to take the difficulty to 11 Modern Firearms

that will add in a bunch of guns, most will one shot you through vanilla armor. so you have to use the optional armor that you can download on the same page, or you can turn down the damage in mcm.

38 minutes ago, Mindgames265 said:

cause I'm a sucker for explosions Grenade Expansion Pack 2 -- M79 Grenade Launcher and New Explosives

Fusillade Grenade Launcher

or if you want to take the difficulty to 11 Modern Firearms

that will add in a bunch of guns, most will one shot you through vanilla armor. so you have to use the optional armor that you can download on the same page, or you can turn down the damage in mcm.

The first two look good and i'll see if i can integrate them (the first one looks like a 'must-have').

'Modern Firearms' is a mod i had forgotten (since it vanished from Nexus). That one might be difficult to integrate as we already have some of the weapons in the guide. Guess i'll have to wrap up the update first and then take a closer look at the mod.

Thanks for those. ?

@DarthNyriss

I'm in the same boat as you. Quite a few mods in the guide try to fix some logic bugs and others are simply in there to give alternatives to the vanilla start. Bethesda got some good ideas, but they often feel sort of half-baked and incomplete.

Btw. the Pip-Pad got a few options to zoom in more (during the installation and later in-game too).

Edited by Aylis
1 hour ago, Mindgames265 said:

Just a heads up Defense Gun replacer for pipe-guns has been hidden.

Dang! I hate it when they do that.

Working on a replacement... Post-apocalyptic homemade weapons. Replacer might do the trick.

Looking good on a first glance

Spoiler

Photo469.jpg.cfb0b396b7dbf38bba6a553d69d2c63b.jpg

This could actually be a blessing in disguise. That mod could replace 4-5 separate mods.

Edited by Aylis

Last update

Updating Status to '3.1.4'

Yes, page #1 was also updated.

Integrating 'Luxor's Summer', replacing 'A Forest', better sounds and ferals plus fixing lost mods.

Mods to RERUN

Bashed Patch

Removed mods:

Spoiler

Foundation

Better LOD                                                                              Not needed anymore

A Forest                                                                                  Modpage is gone (aka problems ahead)

Tookie's Textures-Grass and Plants                                         Not needed anymore

Luxor's Greenery                                                                                     ''

FO4 HD Overhaul Pine Forest Redone LOD Patch                  Breaks the LOD

NPC

Feral Ghouls Replacer                                                            Start to stick out too much

FO3 And FO4 Ghouls                                                             Same

Sound

Ghouls Add Sound Caiena                                                    Gets replaced

Workbench Humming                                                           Not needed anymore and gets replaced

Armor and Weapons Override

Defense Gun                                                                          Gets replaced

Defense Gun replacer for pipe-guns                                     Now hidden on Nexus

Visual Reload Defense Gun Compatibility Patch                   Not needed anymore

38 Revolver - Pipe revolver replacer                                                       ''

HK USP .45 with Tactical knife                                               Hate the 'close-combat-dildo'.

XM2010 Enhanced Sniper Rifle                                             Good mod, but looks and feels too modern and somewhat out of place.

AMD GPU Patch                                                                    Not needed anymore

Commonwealth Reclamation Project                                    Too taxing and we're already close to the visuals

Eli's Armour Compendium precombines for CRP                 Not needed anymore

ADDED mods:

Spoiler

Foundation

BNS Trees Only                                                                        Replacement for 'A Forest'

Pine Trees Redone1 - BNS 2.4                                                                    ''

GRASSLANDS - A Fallout 4 Grass Overhaul                             Required Don't forget to DELETE the textures folder

Luxor's Summer                                                                       A gamechanger when it comes to flora

UI

MCM Booster                                                                          Small little helper

NPC

FGEP - Feral Ghouls Expansion Pack                                       Fits perfectly into the game

Sound

Cut SFX Restored                                                                     Didn't expect this to be such a nice little 'extra'.

Ghoul Sound Replacer (Video)                                                Sounds imo better than the old mod

Sound Overhaul - Frag Grenade                                              Better Sound

Patches

Buzzbites Patch for CC Coffee and Donuts Workshop Pack    Patch

FO4 Revisions (FO4R)                                                              Gameplay overhaul (thanks for the suggestion)

Real Time Cover Penetration Framework                                Cover? What cover?

Weather and Lighting

Reactor ENB - WTTO Patch                                                      Compatibility patch

Armor and Weapons Override

MW2019 sounds for M1A                                                        Something we definitely needed

G36 New firing sounds                                                            Better Sound

Post-apocalyptic homemade weapons. Replacer                    Replacing the fugly pipe weapons

M60 New Firing sounds                                                           Nice improvement

20mm Vulcan Rounds for Machineguns Rebirth                     Upgrade

Gepard GM6 Lynx - RTCP Plugin                                              Patch

HK USP                                                                                     Replacer for Tookie's version

HK USP - LvlList Patch                                                              Don't forget to merge this into the main mod.

HK USP - Update                                                                      Don't forget to merge this into the main mod.

HK USP - Tactical Reload Patch                                                Patch

HK USP - Amd Fix                                                                    Optional patch

Uploads

Updated: ESL-Flagged ESP

Edited by Aylis
  • Aylis changed the title to Fallout IV for Beginners - V3.1.4 (Fusion Girl / Bodytalk)
21 hours ago, DarthNyriss said:

Focusing on the barrel isn't enough.  ;)

Correct. Dogmeat needs some attention too. ?

I hate the patcher... I still find mods where the program 'forgot' to use entries. Will go tomorrow through every single patch and compare the entries (aka original file vs my patch).

Edited by Aylis
2 hours ago, DarthNyriss said:

As we got bodyslides i'll give it a shot.

The weathers in NAC X are starting to annoy me... Trying to find a way around them.

Might be on to something. Got +20 FPS! DOF completely out of whack.

Edited by Aylis
15 hours ago, make7 said:

For the weathers I changed to a combination of Vivid weathers and True Storms. There is a patch that lets you run em together...

Same old combination i'm thinking of. ?

They add a lot of ESP, but they all have open permissions so i could upload modified versions (already included in ESL-Flagged ESP).

@MK198914

Don't know... Scrapping mods have always been troublesome before.

@Mindgames265

Good find. I'll add it. ?

At first NAC X is fine, but when the added storms pop-up over and over again it really gets annoying. Would they be rare, then they'd be OK, but not as they are. I'm starting to see that mod more and more as a nuisance than as an improvement. And as the OA locked comments (aka no support anymore) i'll remove it.

Fallout London - Merc Outfit is meh. Bodyslides for it arn't that usable yet and almost everything clips with it.

Updated: ESL-Flagged ESP

Edited by Aylis
2 hours ago, DarthNyriss said:

I found Soviet uniforms I quite liked the look of, then I saw this:

Red Shift Power Armour.  https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/46589?tab=files&file_id=188004&nmm=1

Not sure if they really fit. According to the lore Russia and America wern't on friendly terms either.

But it's quite funny to see how active russian modders are (they seem to love Fallout). Quite a few of the used mods in the guide are from there...

Before it rears its ugly head: Keep RL politics out of this thread!

I want to see suggestions and discussions about modding here, nothing else!

Went through the guide and added more descriptions of as ESL flaggable mods. Sadly a lot of them got no (or unclear) permissions for an upload here.

Looking good

Spoiler

Of course i got a military version first... ?

381456069_Armor-GirlsWorkshop.jpg.d78bb00d283d360c1f6612b1f4bbdce4.jpg

Girls WorkshopGirls Workshop - Fusion Girl BodySlides and my predone file will be added.  

This sadly didn't work out

Spoiler

Photo466.jpg.cbc71c65d16bc87f0c23c183518fb8b7.jpgPhoto471.jpg.d478f43c38344d10c06e86544bc572fa.jpg

Edited by Aylis