Things i have never got to work properly / what grinds my gears.

nemocdt

I thought i'd start this off as more of an advice type thread where we can post the irk's of our setup's and see if others have found work around's or fix's for the things that annoy you or feel are limited by in your game.

Because i havent got the first clue how to go about modding the game mechanics to specifically alter something i end up substituting it by using mods not how they were maybe not designed. 

eg: Defeat and Pahe have many uses outside of the obvious.

Dread Prison (is over powered at any level imo) but is the perfect fix for imprisoning  the imperial / stormcloak generals as they are essential even after the civil war quest to bring some finality to destroying a camp or patrol.

Crime system. 

i'm using Crime overhaul and silenced prisoners (both are great) and after a little friendly fire incident in the dark i have a 47,000 gold bounty in Hjaalmarch which i am willing but unable to pay. so Morthal is totally of limits forever and it would be great if i could just pay the fine somewhere or kill the sheriff and steal the paperwork, bribe the jarl. etc.

Follower Mortality. 

I can't find a good balance between Indestructable and inept welp, i'm using IAFT (great mod) which has a death chance bar in the mcm. however it seems to be either all dead or all alive.

this is why i tend to use generic followers with no quest locked essential or protected status as it makes them undefeatable and you just end up with a small army of TGM enabled followers and Manipulator doesnt remove the is in quest flag.

it would be great to have them recruited at the level you are but not have them level with you. as per a unleveled world. I really like the funeral / gravestone mechanics in "Clean up your corpses" but so far i have only got to bury Faendal and currently have 13 followers most of whom are absolute weapons of destruction that i never bring out. i don't really like OP stuff i like to win a good fair fight.

Remove all items ctd.

if i remove too many items to fast from anything be it myself or a chest i'm hoarding i ctd. i'm not talking 3-4 items i mean if i click 10 or so items quite fast.

The biggest issue with this is when i get sent to prison i ctd, i have a work around where it will load the prison i quicksave immediately before it strips my items ( the coin shake noise) and ctd then when i restart and continue it loads and i have 1 lockpick and runs fine. i've tested it and its something to do with too many modded items being removed at once as it works perfectly with vanilla and quest items only. it's not a game breaker at all but it's a pain in the ass.

just some things i can't get right.  

Maybe you have some little things that arent worth a standalone post but would like a fix or workaround. if you can help with these i'd be grateful.

ScreenShot2008.thumb.png.56d9dca6f4bfe476b21d501c81da6e11.png

-

6 hours ago, nemocdt said:

I thought i'd start this off as more of an advice type thread where we can post the irk's of our setup's and see if others have found work around's or fix's for the things that annoy you or feel are limited by in your game.

Good idea.

Follower mortality.

First, I read this as 'follower morality' so was totally confused by the rest of it.

6 hours ago, nemocdt said:

this is why i tend to use generic followers with no quest locked essential or protected status as it makes them undefeatable and you just end up with a small army of TGM enabled followers and Manipulator doesnt remove the is in quest flag.

Manipulator (I never leave home without it) can set the NPC to Essential, Protected or not. I seldom use followers, even seldomer use human followers and even more seldomer use vanilla followers. However, I'm currently running with 27 human custom followers. So far I've only lost one and that was from a fire trap which she parked on, went into bleed-out and couldn't get off. And in the chaos of the running battle, I forgot about her to be honest.

I'm using EFF which let's you control how many of your NPCs actually get involved in a fight. I use OBIS bandits to bump the numbers of the opposition and a couple of other mods to hike their difficulty.

I'd be interested in hearing the non-obvious uses for Defeat. I use it but never seem to have much luck with it. Either they kill me me before the 'defeat' or I kill them. I think so far in this game I got done by a sabre-cat while all my followers stood and watched and by one of my own followers. I also saw a couple of Forsworn do one of those 3 orc hunters you see wandering around.

I only play for laughs and never bother with vanilla.

11 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

I'd be interested in hearing the non-obvious uses for Defeat.

I

Defeat and pahe both have brilliant applications for stealth / thief characters, removing guards without catching a bounty.  pacifying frenzied essential npc's. 

Only once (in 56 lv's) have i seen a npc on npc  defeat scenario happen, and that was between a giant and a female stormcloak courier while i was escaping frostfall death by a giants camp fire. it seems to work better for me i use it more as a stealth tool.

18 hours ago, nemocdt said:

Follower Mortality. 

I can't find a good balance between Indestructable and inept welp, i'm using IAFT (great mod) which has a death chance bar in the mcm. however it seems to be either all dead or all alive.

it would be great to have them recruited at the level you are but not have them level with you. as per a unleveled world. I really like the funeral / gravestone mechanics in "Clean up your corpses" but so far i have only got to bury Faendal and currently have 13 followers most of whom are absolute weapons of destruction that i never bring out. i don't really like OP stuff i like to win a good fair fight.

Besides EFF having a great HUD for managing followers, Death Alternative has a feature that forces followers to remain in bleedout until a fight is over (unless you heal them during battle.)

There's an option to prevent you from dying if your follower is still fighting. There's options to choose what happens to your follower when you and your follower are defeated, such as dismissing or killing them, and you can choose the level of importance a follower has to be below to qualify for death (protected, essential, ect.)

Remove all items ctd.

if i remove too many items to fast from anything be it myself or a chest i'm hoarding i ctd. i'm not talking 3-4 items i mean if i click 10 or so items quite fast.

The biggest issue with this is when i get sent to prison i ctd, i have a work around where it will load the prison i quicksave immediately before it strips my items ( the coin shake noise) and ctd then when i restart and continue it loads and i have 1 lockpick and runs fine. i've tested it and its something to do with too many modded items being removed at once as it works perfectly with vanilla and quest items only. it's not a game breaker at all but it's a pain in the ass.

Lag/FPS drops from quickly moving many items between a container are due to mods with scripts that fire on events like that (OnItemAdded, OnItemRemoved.) I imagine a CTD during that would be due to too many scripts hooked into those events or that the game can't process them quickly enough.

21 minutes ago, hylysi said:

Lag/FPS drops from quickly moving many items between a container are due to mods with scripts that fire on events like that (OnItemAdded, OnItemRemoved.) I imagine a CTD during that would be due to too many scripts hooked into those events or that the game can't process them quickly enough.

Thats it right there. it has made "extra dimensional storage" just a crash utility which works as well as ~qqq

Things I have never gotten to work properly:

All my personal mods. I have about six as intended fixes for everything from the pointless vanilla crime system to indentured service outcomes for Simple Slavery (I absolutely hate player death/reload, so I make combat failure tremendously punishing) to a pretty detailed custom follower. The problem is I can never stick to finishing any one of them. The moment I try, I get some crazy idea for something entirely new or I have a squirrel moment and get distracted. I think the crime mod is probably about 30% done, and it's by far the farthest along. I had just gotten going on that one again two weeks ago and suddenly, "Oooh, a quick and dirty way to get SMP working on my armor sets!" ?‍♂️

Things that piss me off:

The CK. Like, all of it. I have two data folders - one for play/MO and the other for modding. Because my build is too big to efficiently manage with NMM, I use MO. Because the CK shits itself if used through MO, I have a second data folder I swap in for use with NMM if I'm working on mods. And then it'll crash and/or corrupt half your shit anyway, so you have to backup constantly and limit work to an hour or so at a time for the sake of efficiency.

This nonsense right here.

SolitudeBlacksmith1.png.3c04cf2c99f0648581f143f42d57b979.pngSolitudeBlacksmith2.png.9ff120a7d46425cadc0527a41e09d947.png

Sure, it doesn't look at all wrong, does it? Well, the problem is that, Beirand talks as if he is with the rest of the audience near the execution happening when you first enter Solitude. But he is not, and this means he won't buy/sell until a while after that event is over. I'm not sure if USLEEP fixes this problem or not, or if I have another mod that might be reverting that possible fix. 

Horse's, why tf does this game target your horse over you. Every time i own more than 1 horse as soon as we pass by a bear or wolf or bandits the unmounted horse runs straight to them and stands there doing nothing waiting for slaughter.  

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2019 at 11:25 PM, nemocdt said:

Horse's, why tf does this game target your horse over you. Every time i own more than 1 horse as soon as we pass by a bear or wolf or bandits the unmounted horse runs straight to them and stands there doing nothing waiting for slaughter.   

It's cause horses in Skyrim have anti-gravity powers and can climb straight up cliffsides.

Archived