Are you diabetic?

Are you diabetic?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Are you diabetic?

• No, I am not
    • No, but some relatives are
    • Yes, Type I
    • Yes, Type II

Just a simple pool to check how many of us are.

Be aware, there is nothing bad in being diabetic. Just check your glicemy levels and follow your therapy.

13 hours ago, darkconsole said:

family members keep calling

That should be type I ... but it's not a "guarantee" just a raised risk.

Anyway, living along the diet of diabetic family member is not that bad for the health of a non-diabetic person, too.

The basic difference is that I can dive recklessly into the bowl of fruits myself and don't need to feel too bad because the shares on our plates are not equal :classic_blush:.

For those who are, if you are having a time of it tracking your glucose levels to your food/drink and exercise seriously consider the Libre Freestyle monitor.

Beats the hell out of prickin' yourself 10 or 12 times a day or more. Since starting use last spring and being able to track spikes and lows within minutes I have been able to get my average readings down into the 140s for everything from 7 day up to 90 day. The averages used to be at 180 and up cause I didn't know there was a problem with something I ate until an hour or more afterward.

Nope. Type 1 hasn't occurred in the family chronicles yet (*knocks on wood*), neither paternal (white South African) nor maternal (indigenous South American)

and Type 2, the originally advantageous Neanderthal heritage of the pre-supermarket era, well, it's caused by modern lifestyle and unhealthy diet. One of Dad's

sisters has caught it. Consequently she was already obese long before the disease got diagnosed. Half of my cousins over there are obese, most likely they'll face

Type 2 later on. My little son has a weakness for sweetness and the imperial iPhone, so I have to keep an eye on him and the fuckin' candy in the house, or else.

Burger anyone?  ?

• 3 months later...

I just recently found out a couple months ago that I am a diabetic. I went to the E.R. for ankle pain and wanted to get checked out for diabetes as well because I was showing the symptoms (cloudy vision, thirsty, fatigue). When they checked my blood sugar, it was at 700.:(  When the blood test came back, it was actually at 900. The nurse was amazed I was still coherent.

As of right now, I'm more type 1. I have to take Humalog after meals and Lantus at bedtime. At first I was scared to death but once I got educated about carbs, timing my meals with dosages, and knowing the signs of low blood sugar, I finally came to terms with it. The hardest part, well, more annoying than anything, was the cloudy vision. It's like looking through a shot glass of sugar water. Luckily, my vision cleared back to normal after a week or so. 

I think the saddest part of having it is knowing that it will cost you an arm and a leg if you don't have insurance. The amount of supplies one has to have is a lot. I'm not even counting the insulin and needles. Here in America, list cost for a month supply of insulin is around $280. In other countries that have universal health care, that cost is only $3.00. Same insulin from the same company. It baffles me how the U.S. would allow their citizens to die simply because they can't afford the jacked up prices for their meds. 

My father is Type 2. Coupled with senility, it's a challenge to manage.

Consequence of a lifestyle of mindlessly cramming his face full of Jordan Almonds/Licorice Allsorts/Candy Corn. Reaction to abject, childhood poverty. He made himself Type 2.

Mindless face-cramming is still a day to day issue, but Jordan Almonds/Licorice Allsorts/Candy Corn are not. They are prohibited from the household.

20 minutes ago, Pork Type said:

My father is Type 2. Coupled with senility, it's a challenge to manage.

Consequence of a lifestyle of mindlessly cramming his face full of Jordan Almonds/Licorice Allsorts/Candy Corn. Reaction to abject, childhood poverty. He made himself Type 2.

Mindless face-cramming is still a day to day issue, but Jordan Almonds/Licorice Allsorts/Candy Corn are not. They are prohibited from the household.

Can he manage his diabetes by diet? Is he overweight? I ask this because I've always loved sugar, but I hardly eat candy or a lot of sweets. I mainly get sugar through drinks. Mountain Dew, Kool-Aid and Coffee. I'm at the lower end of what I should weigh and have a BMI that is normal. I feel like I took in a lot of sugar but that is not what made me diabetic....go figure...lol

10 minutes ago, ISNAN said:

Can he manage his diabetes by diet? Is he overweight? I ask this because I've always loved sugar, but I hardly eat candy or a lot of sweets. I mainly get sugar through drinks. Mountain Dew, Kool-Aid and Coffee. I'm at the lower end of what I should weigh and have a BMI that is normal. I feel like I took in a lot of sugar but that is not what made me diabetic....go figure...lol

I'm the food buyer for the household... I buy lots of nuts, salami, and cheese. He made himself Type 2, as I have previously described:

>Depression baby

>Achieved middle class

>Stuffed his face with sugar

>Became Type 2

He's not overweight,

26 minutes ago, Pork Type said:

I'm the food buyer for the household... I buy lots of nuts, salami, and cheese. He made himself Type 2, as I have previously described:

>Depression baby

>Achieved middle class

>Stuffed his face with sugar

>Became Type 2

He's not overweight,

Sugar is actually good for you. Your body needs it for energy and cell production. It's why diabetics count carbs. Carbs=sugar. As long as someone is active and burning off the sugar as they consume it, it's not an issue for most people. 

The problem with nuts, salami and cheese is it has little to no carbs and hardly any fiber. Fiber helps reduce sugar as well. 

On 4/10/2019 at 3:58 AM, ISNAN said:

Sugar is actually good for you. Your body needs it for energy and cell production. It's why diabetics count carbs. Carbs=sugar.

It's more complex than that, depending on the molecular structure of the sugar in question, but that's essentially true. A bowl of beans (complex carbohydrates) won't trigger problems like a candy bar (simple carbs) would. And the former has a lot more fiber.

I'm not diabetic per se. I'm hypoglycemic and need something to nibble on or sip every few hours or I begin to get dizzy and lightheaded. Every blood test I've had says I'm fine but I've never had one when I've gone without food or just a mildly sugary drink for five-plus hours prior.

Archived