What to do, what to do?

Psalam

What to do, what to do?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would my time be better served learning scripting or developing a blog about how to use the LL site? If the latter am I better served aiming this at noobies or non native English speakers?

• Scripting - we need more mods!
    • Blogging for noobies - they need all the help they can get!
    • Blogging for non native English speakers - if you choose this please specify how you think this could best be done.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/18/2018 at 11:52 PM

I came to LL for the sex mods. No reason to lie about it. After a while I discovered that I had a LOT to learn about mods and modding. I also discovered a plethora of people here who freely share of their hard-earned knowledge. Now I have more things that I would like to do than I know what to do with. Like virtually everybody else on LL I have limited time outside of RL. That means I have to prioritize it.

The two things that are highest on my list right now are learning scripting (I have some of the basics down but I'm talking about taking the plunge) or blogging about how to use LL. When I originally discussed this with someone I though it would be a blog aimed at complete noobs. People like I was when I came here. After discussing this with "a voice in the fog" I found that something along that same line for non native English speakers would be useful.

So, over time, I have come to respect the people I've met on LL (for the most part anyway). I respect all of you enough to ask your opinion of how I spend my spare time, at least, that part of it spent on a computer screen. Taking my cue from CPU's polls this one will run for 30 days. I covet not just your answers to the poll questions but your reasoning for it. As a disclaimer that I would hope would be obvious (but in case it's not) ultimately I will make this decision for myself. I genuinely want your opinion and, frankly, I hope that you will sway me in my choice. But, in the end, the choice will be mine.

I would say start a blog to help the newbies. I've been modding for sixteen years and there are still things I don't fully understand. Modding can be a lot more complex than simply downloading and installing something. The use of things like Script Extenders and programs like FNIS can be intimidating for folks that don't understand what they are or why they're needed. Then there's explaining the difference between frameworks and mods. Or--and this I've never fully mastered--creating Bashed or Mashed patches.

Spoiler
4 minutes ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

I would say start a blog to help the newbies. I've been modding for sixteen years and there are still things I don't fully understand. Modding can be a lot more complex than simply downloading and installing something. The use of things like Script Extenders and programs like FNIS can be intimidating for folks that don't understand what they are or why they're needed. Then there's explaining the difference between frameworks and mods. Or--and this I've never fully mastered--creating Bashed or Mashed patches.

I feel your pain. I prefer my potatoes mashed myself. ?

I'd suggest that it's more satisfying to create things. 

Helping people is great, but people on the internet come and go quickly. There's an endless stream of people who will ask the same questions again and again. And who knows, you might eventaully even wish that some of them would take a little initiative and go do some of their own research and take advantage of many of the published articles, wikis, or forum posts that have already addressed the issues that they're asking you about for the upteenth time.

On the other hand, with a mod, you get to create something and do what you want with it. It's more challenging so it's more satisfying. And you can most likely reach more people with a Mod than with a Blog, not to mention, there's always the support thread, so you'll end up helping people anyway. :classic_wink:

I have to say that I agree with Hugh on this one as if you're not careful you'll end up answering the exact same questions ad infinitum. Unfortunately a lot of people simply can't be bothered to read, I've even seen the same question posted straight beneath a posting with the answer above. I do accept it can be difficult to find a solution in a long thread but at least a cursory read of the OT would save many questions.

If going down the blog route it may be more productive to keep it more general (a bit like what Gopher did with his modding videos) rather than questions on specific mods. Something for non native English speakers would be useful, though does need a lot of patience to understand what the problem really is as translators often just approximate language (For fun take a sentence convert to say Hungarian, then to Italian, then to Chinese then back to English as see what you end up with :classic_smile:)

Spoiler
2 minutes ago, Slorm said:

I have to say that I agree with Hugh on this one as if you're not careful you'll end up answering the exact same questions ad infinitum. Unfortunately a lot of people simply can't be bothered to read, I've even seen the same question posted straight beneath a posting with the answer above. I do accept it can be difficult to find a solution in a long thread but at least a cursory read of the OT would save many questions.

If going down the blog route it may be more productive to keep it more general (a bit like what Gopher did with his videos) rather than questions on specific mods. Something for non native English speakers would be useful though does need a lot of patience to understand what the problem really is as translators often just approximate language (For fun take a sentence convert to say Hungarian, then to Italian, then to Chinese then back to English as see what you end up with :classic_smile:)

That reminds me of the "gossip game" at parties. I whisper a contrived rumor or piece of gossip to the person sitting next to me. They then do the same thing until it gets back to me. I share both things with the whole group and we get a laugh. Hey! That sounds like social media!

27 minutes ago, Slorm said:

For fun take a sentence convert to say Hungarian

Oh nooooooo! These pictures .. I can't stop them.... ugh! Too late. You did it

Spoiler

The value of translations is exaggerated. My hovercraft is full of eels.

As it appears one might already guess a winner candidate and a probable looser in this poll :classic_shy:

As a non-native-english-speaker myself, I take it that our lack of proper language skills is not an issue for native speakers at all??

34 minutes ago, worik said:

As it appears one might already guess a winner candidate and a probable looser in this poll :classic_shy:

As a non-native-english-speaker myself, I take it that our lack of proper language skills is not an issue for native speakers at all??

Yes you're perfectly understandable. I wasn't even aware that English wasn't your first language

• 3 weeks later...

Archived