Pip-boy data tab crashing game

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2019 at 10:07 AM, volcanogod said:

Since the problem seems to be some bizarre interaction between the PipBoys inv display, VIS_G, AAF, and (maybe) an XBOX controller, I thought I would try just turning off the icons in the pip-boy inventory display : in the DEF_UI Mod, edit the file

interface/DEF_CONF/DEF_INV.xml

and change the setting to false :

<pipboy>

<itemlist>
      <icons>false</icons>
      <dps>false</dps>
    </itemlist>

</pipboy>

It's just a work-around, but it got rid of the INV->DATA crashes for me without losing either VIS-G sorting or AAF.

(You have to give Bethesda credit for their commitment to the Lore. Of course a clunky style-over-substance device like the PipBoy runs Flash!)

On 9/3/2019 at 9:54 PM, dashipper said:

I've got Def_UI, Vis_G, and AAF, have been crashing on the data tab, and my god... this worked like a charm.  Can't express my appreciation enough right now.

Same here except I was getting crashes on anything inventory screen related like bartering and trading as well, thanks so much.

On 8/14/2019 at 8:07 PM, volcanogod said:

(You have to give Bethesda credit for their commitment to the Lore. Of course a clunky style-over-substance device like the PipBoy runs Flash!)

You know, when I was a kid I was in one of those boyscout-like organizations USSR had a plenty of, and the Army then had a habit of donating old hardware to those (no, not guns, tanks - for those you'd have to wait until the actual service), so I had a lot of tinkering with some 1960s vacuum tubes-based radio equipment. It was built like a brick, never gave any problems to the user and I bet if you could find one today, after removing the dust and warming up the cathodes carefully you could still use it and it would actually "just work". Not like this damn game which crashes when you open the pipboy and look funny at it (which is the reason why I'm in this thread).

So after some time spent on CTD investigations (I've had a lot of material recently) the idea is very simple - the more stuff you've got in your HUD, the easier it crashes. 

Practically everything that changes HUD adds some stress to it. Sim Settlements (especially with Conqueror), MCG, AAF, those sorting mods displaying scrap components, icons in Pipboy. So the more you add - the sooner it will crash and it seems there is no way to avoid it altogether.

In a profile I had all of those - the one for Conqueror, with Ruddy's 88 sorter, it crashed the second time I looked into the perk screen. Disabling the pipboy icons, like suggested here, delayed it a bit, like 5 times to look at the perk screen before the CTD. Disabling the R88 sorter allows to play for some time, like 40 minutes.

And the profile w/o Sim Settlements and MCG allows playing for hours w/o a crash, with R88 sorter and disabled pipboy icons.

Damn that Flash BS.

19 minutes ago, phillout said:

And the profile w/o Sim Settlements and MCG allows playing for hours w/o a crash,

I have both sim settlements and MCG installed and I can't recall the last time they crashed due to the pip boy or HUD. Imho they can be run together very stable with HudFramework and DEF_UI (which I Have) provided you run the auto patcher that you can find in the hud framework download page (this is very important). Other than that, mods like VIS sorting in my experience were the cause of many crashes, so they could be your cause too and I don't think SIM or MCG are the primary causes.

5 hours ago, Martin56 said:

provided you run the auto patcher that you can find in the hud framework download page (this is very important). 

I did. I'll see if it still crashes the next week when my 2080Ti RTX with 11GB of VRAM arrives - maybe my 4GB of VRAM on my old GF970 just isn't enough to handle the heavily modded HUD at 1440p.

edit: Yep, looks like a problem of not sufficient VRAM. As soon as I turned off this new Image Sharpening feature NVidia added in their recent drivers, the time my game lives on the full load (R88+MCG+AAF+SS+Conqueror) went from 5 minutes to 40. Quite an improvement.

On 12/14/2019 at 9:25 AM, phillout said:

So after some time spent on CTD investigations (I've had a lot of material recently) the idea is very simple - the more stuff you've got in your HUD, the easier it crashes. 

Practically everything that changes HUD adds some stress to it. Sim Settlements (especially with Conqueror), MCG, AAF, those sorting mods displaying scrap components, icons in Pipboy. So the more you add - the sooner it will crash and it seems there is no way to avoid it altogether.

In a profile I had all of those - the one for Conqueror, with Ruddy's 88 sorter, it crashed the second time I looked into the perk screen. Disabling the pipboy icons, like suggested here, delayed it a bit, like 5 times to look at the perk screen before the CTD. Disabling the R88 sorter allows to play for some time, like 40 minutes.

And the profile w/o Sim Settlements and MCG allows playing for hours w/o a crash, with R88 sorter and disabled pipboy icons.

Damn that Flash BS.

I don't know why you crash when using Ruddy sorter. For me, it stop all the problem when i use VIS-G(CTD soon when enter levelupmenu and swtich tab in pip-boy) and VIS(naming issue for the latest Armor Keyword). R88 sorter ain't perfect and the list is simple. But it work.

Personally, i think that is just on flash end. increasing you hardware won't help.

16 hours ago, loen999 said:

I don't know why you crash when using Ruddy sorter.

I'm not saying it's Rudy's sorter. I'm just saying that disabling it reduced the probability of the crash. I was experimenting here with removing MCG's widgets too - so far no crashes, but more complete testing would require playing for at least 3 hours straight, I just don't have that much patience now.

Flash is a frickin' snowflake, that's for sure. But I had a suspicion that at least increasing the amount of VRAM could help. But no, it didn't happen. My knowledge of Flash programming is a bit foggy, I haven't touched it for 15 years, but I suspect some widgets can leak resource handles (or some may leak more than others), and when Flash runs out of them - you have a crash. At least this is my theory now. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/20/2019 at 12:46 AM, dagobaking said:

It doesn't have to do with the stability of Flash as a platform. Bethesda likely just allotted a fixed amount of resources for it in this context.

Sorry to necro this, but is there any plausible way to change the allotted resources for flash? I've got plenty of RAM that the game just doesn't use, even with ENB.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem- and I`m using BiRaitBec Modlist with MO2. Your solution did not fix my CTD, so  I disabled the Vis-G and patch and reinstalled DEF_Ui and DEF_UI_Translations and chosed "no sorting plugins" (or something like that). Havent had any CTD for an hour ?

<pipboy>
   <itemlist>
      <icons>false</icons>
      <dps>true</dps>
    </itemlist>
</pipboy>

Old topic, but yeah, disabling the pipboy icons (thanks volcanogod!) seems to be the most effective solution for me.

Items still categorized by the way! they just don't have any icons.
Also, picking up Legendary ("featured") items no longer CTD.
I don't want to sound ungrateful, but maybe there is something very wrong with their IconLibrary stuff.

Funny, cause I don't remember if i ever had any CTD using the old/original VIS - even with all colored icons.
I think I will go back to VIS when I have some time... backport my modlist from VIS-G to VIS will not be easy/fast. :/

On 8/14/2019 at 7:07 PM, volcanogod said:

Since the problem seems to be some bizarre interaction between the PipBoys inv display, VIS_G, AAF, and (maybe) an XBOX controller, I thought I would try just turning off the icons in the pip-boy inventory display : in the DEF_UI Mod, edit the file

interface/DEF_CONF/DEF_INV.xml

and change the setting to false :

<pipboy>

<itemlist>
      <icons>false</icons>
      <dps>false</dps>
    </itemlist>

</pipboy>

It's just a work-around, but it got rid of the INV->DATA crashes for me without losing either VIS-G sorting or AAF.

Unfortunately doesn't do the trick for me, I still CTD everytime I open a container/barter/open perks menu unless I run the game without AAF.swf or without F4SE...

2 hours ago, BarneyGold said:

Unfortunately doesn't do the trick for me, I still CTD everytime I open a container/barter/open perks menu unless I run the game without AAF.swf or without F4SE...

I have only installed Vis-G once and had problems like this so I reverted back to the old vis-tags (but this was a year ago). Try it with out Vis-G.  If you do not have F4SE installed then AAF will not work.

22 hours ago, mashup47 said:

I have only installed Vis-G once and had problems like this so I reverted back to the old vis-tags (but this was a year ago). Try it with out Vis-G.  If you do not have F4SE installed then AAF will not work.

Nope, still crashes.
I was just saying that to prevent the CTDs to happen I either remove the AAF shockwave flash file or simply use the OG launcher.
I feel like I tried everything tbh

2 hours ago, mashup47 said:

You have enabled modding?

have you tried here https://discord.gg/cP8Fq9z. and downloaded the GFV.exe file from the tools section. To check your install?

Yes modding is enabled properly, and the AAF GFV doesn't show any error except for the ESM priority (I have ESPs such as the unofficial patch that are flagged as ESMs but in .esp format and loaded before some other ESMs including AAF).
It also warns me about preloaded creation club content but I have no clue on how to get rid of this, there's no way it is the cause of the CTDs anyways

I get a crash any time I go into the pipboy first to access the perk chart after I leveled up, unless I reload a game then do it very quickly or hold T as soon as I level up and the notification appears to skip the need to enter the pipboy first. Waiting just few seconds too long after reloading and it will crash 100% of the time.

I don't run Vis G as I use Rudy Simple Sorting thinking it was the cause nope, nor have any pipboy related mods. I can play for 3 hours straight in downton Boston or wandering across the glowing sea fighting and leveling up as I please without crash so long I do not go into the pipboy to access the chart. I do have have few CC mods and any time I have CC files in my game directory randomly that I shouldn't I remove them. I have never found the issue and I just live it cause 'it just works'.

This only works for perks crashing though. 

• 1 month later...

I was playing around VIS-G files, now I see most of items have different icons (i.e. 10x different icons for pistols).
That's... cool, but also seens quite overkill - heck, I'm a little ashamed to say, but I didn't even realize that they are all different icons (my eyes are not as good as they used to be ?).

So, If we reduce the icons diversity, would it also reduce CTDs?
-Yes!

For anyone is having that damn annoying CTD, and knows VIS-G it's causing it, I encourage you to test my file:
https://pastebin.com/RbYUdLZc
(expires 1 year)

Just backup your original file, use NotePad++ to copy/paste my data and save it.

Data\interface\DEF_CONF\DEF_INV_TAGS.xml

Now I can spam W / S ~ switching tabs like a crazy bastard:
-no crashes at all.

That's a pretty harsh "downgrade" to ViS-G, I probally can add a dozen more icons or so without any CTD, probally will try it later on.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for a lil bit of a necro, but does anyone have more insight into this? I'm having a similar issue as others in here where the only time I ever CTD in game(literally the only cause of CTD's since I started this file) is when I open up my Perk Chart and even that seems to happen at random, most of the time it will not cause a CTD. Now I may just be seeing a pattern where it does not exist, but I only seem to crash when I open the Perk Chart after I level up. So if I level up, save my game, open perk chart, CTD. Reload save, open perk chart, no crash, it's very odd. Again I could be seeing a pattern where it doesn't exist because realistically I would only open my perk chart after I level up, but yeah.

The related mods that others seem to think is causing this that I use are Sim Settlements + HudFramework + I'm using original VIS, not VIS-G and of course AAF and related AAF mods. I'm thinking maybe the major cause for me is VIS since a lot of people think VIS-G is the issue? What do you all think? Would disabling VIS help?

On 8/14/2019 at 7:44 AM, darkon74slayer said:

I might be running to many mods for it to make a difference, I dropped VIS and VIS-G using gold kit for color pipboy and did what they recommend for item sorting and the pipboy has never been more stable while using vault girl (I don't use the data and inv page fro vault girl).

You seem to have an almost identical problem as I have and solved it, but I don't quite understand what you mean. So you stopped using VIS, you use gold kit for color pipboy, but what does "and did what they recommend for item sorting" mean?