Taboo I know, but paid mods?

24 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

That sounds great in theory...... more like the person will download the mod and haul ass outta there with barely saying thank you. People do not hand over money without expectations and they don't donate to authors unless they sorta have to for getting a mod.

... Exactly. Hell, most people don't even want to give endorsements. I have about 7 mods on Nexus with about 7500 downloads combined. Guess how many endorsements? 25. LOL! And this is what's so sad about the whole thing. I always donate to modders even if it's just $1 but I know most people don't 

13 hours ago, Heartbreaker714 said:

... Exactly. Hell, most people don't even want to give endorsements. I have about 7 mods on Nexus with about 7500 downloads combined. Guess how many endorsements? 25. LOL! And this is what's so sad about the whole thing. I always donate to modders even if it's just $1 but I know most people don't 

I have to admit i've downloaded a couple of mods on Nexus witout giving endorsement. Reason is: in most cases i actually never tried them. I feel endorsement is not only a "i appretiate your work" thing but also a kind of review, so if i can't tell if the mod even works at all... i hesitate to click that button. Does that sound stupid/ungrateful?

2 hours ago, Nazzzgul666 said:

I have to admit i've downloaded a couple of mods on Nexus witout giving endorsement. Reason is: in most cases i actually never tried them. I feel endorsement is not only a "i appretiate your work" thing but also a kind of review, so if i can't tell if the mod even works at all... i hesitate to click that button. Does that sound stupid/ungrateful?

Oh I totally agree. I never endorse immediately. Typically I take about a week and then I have to go through my download history for one reason or another and then do it then. I do not endorse if it doesn't work for me or causes issues. 

32 minutes ago, Heartbreaker714 said:

I do not endorse if it doesn't work for me or causes issues. 

I still endorse for the effort put into the mod. I figure just because the author can't fix everything about their mod, they still put a lot of work into it. For example, I can't get Vigilant mod to work for me and I have asked for help and got none, but I still appreciate all the work put into it. It makes me think that had the author been compensated for their work, maybe they might try harder to fix things. Other great projects were abandoned for various reasons. Incentive is key I think to making (and finishing) great mods some times.

On 10/4/2018 at 7:20 AM, 27X said:

Plenty of people are saying it chinese communities, and it's becoming the defacto modding model for Beth Games and the sims and Source there. You wanna play? You pay. The best part is for the most part they're entirely reliant on western assets to get it done, and you can bet none of those western original artists and coders are getting paid shit.

Well yeah, obviously if they can slap something together to sell to a bunch of people willing to pay, that's not a niche thing.

The community already had this fight, and by and large they said they want everything to remain free. The problem is you only need one person to break that. Luckily we can still be generally in favour of free mods while not bothering to raise a fuss just because somebody somewhere wanted an Ernest Borgnine follower which no one was ever going to make for them and decided to spend some money to pay off a modder rather than learning to mod themselves. Because that's simply what lazy or time-crunched people with money do.

Anyway, any discussion involving the Chinese modding community isn't going to be very useful because no matter whether there's money in it or not, piracy is and will continue to be extremely heavy over there. This whole thread is in effect an ethics discussion - but over there that doesn't even remotely figure, at least not with regards to asset piracy.

(Actually I would totally love a mod with an Ernest Borgnine follower, come to think of it... I ain't paying for one though!).

7 hours ago, SmedleyDButler said:

As for endorsements... doesn't Nexus nag you guys to endorse? I get a pop-up every week or so with a list of mods I've downloaded but not endorsed, so I just take a moment then and tick off the ones I'm endorsing (which tends to be most of them).

It does, that's the main reason i even remember that i've downloaded so many mods i never installed.^^ When i download them i think "one day, this might be nice/useful", and often of a kind i wouldn't search for. Something like Simply knock - sounds very nice for some circumstances but it's nothing i actually miss when playing so i just forget about it.

Someone I had been speaking to mentioned a way to add SoS physics (not sure if that's how you would describe it) to Dizona mesh mods HERE. However, they are committed to other projects and just got a new job ... 

Looks like you need NIFSkope to make this work with the Dizona body but I can't make heads or tails of it. LOL. I've tried a few times but just don't currently have enough time to do more. Again that Author of the MOD has given his permission to add SoS physics (?) to Dizona bodies. It's on a Russian web site (free and freely distributed) but I have a copy as well if need be

On 10/2/2018 at 5:34 PM, romeozero said:

Yes, especially if it is original created content. I see less and less motivation from experienced modders to do so for free for specific reasons.

I understand that very well, maybe its time for this site author to consider another area like " Commissions\Patronage " or " Donated requests " for people with ideas that modders can work with.    

@romeozero - Or a discord server or something would probably work as well

EDIT: PS I love your Avatar.

Get it? ??

On 10/5/2018 at 7:11 PM, SmedleyDButler said:

Well yeah, obviously if they can slap something together to sell to a bunch of people willing to pay, that's not a niche thing.

The community already had this fight, and by and large they said they want everything to remain free. The problem is you only need one person to break that. Luckily we can still be generally in favour of free mods while not bothering to raise a fuss just because somebody somewhere wanted an Ernest Borgnine follower which no one was ever going to make for them and decided to spend some money to pay off a modder rather than learning to mod themselves. Because that's simply what lazy or time-crunched people with money do.

Anyway, any discussion involving the Chinese modding community isn't going to be very useful because no matter whether there's money in it or not, piracy is and will continue to be extremely heavy over there. This whole thread is in effect an ethics discussion - but over there that doesn't even remotely figure, at least not with regards to asset piracy.

(Actually I would totally love a mod with an Ernest Borgnine follower, come to think of it... I ain't paying for one though!).

Commissioning a mod that's then free to use for everybody, I see that as just the formula for how art and architecture is/has been done for thousands of years.  Somebody commissioned the Colesseum, but everybody got to use it.  Modding is in no danger if we see a big increase in commissioned work.

Pay to play or pay to use is never even going to become the default model because it can't sustain itself.  People install mods because it's a cheap way to extend the life of a game.  Mods frequently don't work/are difficult to install, and your typical mod-consumer is not going to bother shelling out another couple bucks for pink thongs mod after he couldn't figure out how to install the blue one.  He won't ever figure out HOW to mod properly because it's too expensive.  He'll give up and spend his money on a new game, not mods. 

Without casual user interest, the modding scene dies.  The money will NEVER be there because 90% of mod consumers are practically computer illiterate, and 90% of mod authors cannot make interesting mods that the computer illiterate can reliably combine to good effect.  Yes the can do another power armor skin, hooray for that, but a big overhaul?  Never going to be noob-freindly to install and never gonna be very compatible with other mods. The scene goes paid, the scene dies. The money will dry up, even if paid modding has a brief brush with popularity.

The one currency modders can be sure to get is thanks and appreciation.  Those things are free.  Make free mods, get free thanks.   Casual mod-consumers can still play around with mods and learn to do it properly without paying money. The scene perpetuates itself with free mods, and starves and dies with paid mods.  So the choices are free mods or practically no mods.

3 hours ago, shencereys said:

Commissioning a mod that's then free to use for everybody, I see that as just the formula for how art and architecture is/has been done for thousands of years.  Somebody commissioned the Colesseum, but everybody got to use it.  Modding is in no danger if we see a big increase in commissioned work.

Pay to play or pay to use is never even going to become the default model because it can't sustain itself.  People install mods because it's a cheap way to extend the life of a game.  Mods frequently don't work/are difficult to install, and your typical mod-consumer is not going to bother shelling out another couple bucks for pink thongs mod after he couldn't figure out how to install the blue one.  He won't ever figure out HOW to mod properly because it's too expensive.  He'll give up and spend his money on a new game, not mods. 

Without casual user interest, the modding scene dies.  The money will NEVER be there because 90% of mod consumers are practically computer illiterate, and 90% of mod authors cannot make interesting mods that the computer illiterate can reliably combine to good effect.  Yes the can do another power armor skin, hooray for that, but a big overhaul?  Never going to be noob-freindly to install and never gonna be very compatible with other mods. The scene goes paid, the scene dies. The money will dry up, even if paid modding has a brief brush with popularity.

The one currency modders can be sure to get is thanks and appreciation.  Those things are free.  Make free mods, get free thanks.   Casual mod-consumers can still play around with mods and learn to do it properly without paying money. The scene perpetuates itself with free mods, and starves and dies with paid mods.  So the choices are free mods or practically no mods.

In fact you could argue that Skyrim has in fact HAD a brush with paid mods and this is exactly what happened.

Luckily in Skyrim's case this was not fatal to the game or mod scene, since the existing huge pool of mods was not affected, so Beth's two hilariously failed attempts to force paid modding have acted more like a parallel "what-if?" universe we can point to and laugh at.

On 10/5/2018 at 5:36 PM, Nazzzgul666 said:

i think endorsements are a way to tell the modder "don't give up your mod we are using it"

https://www.loverslab.com/files/file/500-sexlab-dangerous-nights-2/

download : 259 111

endorse : 21

they don't bother with that, but when the modder give up his mod, they bother whining it have to be updated for this or that

Have you considered how much you are prepared to pay for this commissioned mod? You going to offer a by-the-hour ammount? (start counting at 10 if you are talking to a professional developer. start counting at 100 if you are talking to a good modder .... you get the idea).

This is the problem. Either you charge per d/l and get lynched by the mob, or you accept the fact that you are doing this because it is fun. No one person is going to pay you an even remotely reasonable rate for your time.

6 minutes ago, Frankfranky said:

This is the problem. Either you charge per d/l and get lynched by the mob, or you accept the fact that you are doing this because it is fun. No one person is going to pay you an even remotely reasonable rate for your time.

have you considered reading the topic?

op isn't trying to sell mods, he is looking for modders to do stuff for him...

who are you talking to?

On 10/11/2018 at 2:09 AM, Frankfranky said:

This is the problem. Either you charge per d/l and get lynched by the mob, 

Krista charges per download (usually about 5 dolloars for an outfit) and for now nobody has lynched her. But she does only what she wants herself. She has already refused a few times making mods for money for the same reason - no user will pay enough for the time spent on a mod.

P.S.: I am against paying for mods but the way some people work on Patreon seems ok. For example, if way share all the released mods but patrons can vote to choose one of the new eventual projects, or get other minor bonuses. This way the mods are still free for everyone but those who want can support the modder by becoming his partons.

I'll be honest, I don't like Patreon at all. A donation or commission I'm fine with, but a monthly payment? That's considered a wage... and on Patreon you have no other options but to enter into monthly tiers. And the only way to cancel is to delete your account entirely. 

Side note: @Sursed You're totally right about Krista. I actually had emailed her before posting here and her response was a flat out "No". lol. 

18 hours ago, Sursed said:

Krista charges per download (usually about 5 dolloars for an outfit) and for now nobody has lynched her. But she does only what she wants herself. She has already refused a few times making mods for money for the same reason - no user will pay enough for the time spent on a mod.

when you load something in bodyslide to export it as cbbe or un7b, you ask money for that?

you can convert daz stuff to skyrim the same way

181013094143246922.jpg

you select the outfit

181013094153604299.jpg

ready for skyrim, that took 30 seconds

181013094344213051.jpg and about one hour to convert the daz .obj to .nif (giving sbp x to meshes, textures path, saving .jpg to .dds and loading ordinator on that, nothing complicated)

18101309241239473.jpg

181013092304804439.jpg

181013092423816460.jpg

181013092325287173.jpg

some probably made the stuff to convert male armors to sos from bodyslide

as for getting that stuff... if i do it in daz instead of bodyslide, it's because it's faster to redo it than beg for it

19 hours ago, Sursed said:

Krista charges per download (usually about 5 dolloars for an outfit) and for now nobody has lynched her.

bahahaaaa.

No comment.

Considering she's a 10th dan drama queen that tracks to direct form. The reason no one has lynched is the country she lives in doesn't give five fucks about copyright law, otherwise she'd have been shut down quite a long time ago, and they can still shut down her site from a big ass chunk countries now thanks to the EU's new fascist-lite copyright protections. She pisses off the wrong person and she'll find her ability to get funds evaporate p quick aside from VK, and knowing her, the chances are pretty high she'll piss of the wrong person.

4 hours ago, yatol said:

when you load something in bodyslide to export it as cbbe or un7b, you ask money for that?

you can convert daz stuff to skyrim the same way

181013094143246922.jpg

you select the outfit

181013094153604299.jpg

ready for skyrim, that took 30 seconds

181013094344213051.jpg and about one hour to convert the daz .obj to .nif (giving sbp x to meshes, textures path, saving .jpg to .dds and loading ordinator on that, nothing complicated)

Hide contents

18101309241239473.jpg

181013092304804439.jpg

181013092423816460.jpg

181013092325287173.jpg

some probably made the stuff to convert male armors to sos from bodyslide

as for getting that stuff... if i do it in daz instead of bodyslide, it's because it's faster to redo it than beg for it

4 hours ago, 27X said:

bahahaaaa.

No comment.

Considering she's a 10th dan drama queen that tracks to direct form. The reason no one has lynched is the country she lives in doesn't give five fucks about copyright law, otherwise she'd have been shut down quite a long time ago, and they can still shut down her site from a big ass chunk countries now thanks to the EU's new fascist-lite copyright protections. She pisses off the wrong person and she'll find her ability to get funds evaporate p quick aside from VK, and knowing her, the chances are pretty high she'll piss of the wrong person.

Sorry I don't understand what you imply, mates :) 

Have I said that she does the right things? - No.  Have I said that she creates her own models? - No. I have just said that she charges per download, that nobody has yet lyched her and that she refuses to make mods on requests. These are just facts. 

5 hours ago, Sursed said:

that nobody has yet lyched her

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/7632-lady-body-mod-taken-down-from-nexus/

why do you think there isn't much stuff for oblivion hgec conversion (that is just v3, but they rename it for it to stay on nexus)

forbidding everyone to port anything to other bodies, to edit anything without her autorisation, and starting shit if you dare not give her credit for your stuff... it's not a good way to get modders to do stuff for "your" bodie

"her" stuff was removed from other sites too, because she start shit there too

13 minutes ago, yatol said:

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/7632-lady-body-mod-taken-down-from-nexus/

why do you think there isn't much stuff for oblivion hgec conversion (that is just v3, but they rename it for it to stay on nexus)

forbidding everyone to port anything to other bodies, to edit anything without her autorisation, and starting shit if you dare not give her credit for your stuff... it's not a good way to get modders to do stuff for "your" bodie

"her" stuff was removed from other sites too, because she start shit there too

I have never said that she is a pleasant person. :)

4 hours ago, Sursed said:

I have never said that she is a pleasant person. :)

what does this have to do with my quote?

and if some are buying unfinished stuff...

181014014347430191.jpg

the infamous gello fingers were hard to fix?

wasn't the custom skeleton because she had to move the fingers bones on the fingers?

181014014425875007.jpg

didn't took much time to move those hands on those bones

181014014444703420.jpg

there was also an uv map problem on the neck

hands and legs mesh had to be merge onto the body to get rid of gaps

the tri file for expression move the head jaw while the body jaw don't move

and a few other things

it take more time to fix her mess that just reconvert a v4 to skyrim

181014014636834221.jpg

but it's not the same morphs so none of my outfits match that body

black & white texture don't look good on those arms (the zbrush msn don't look good either on fingers, ears and lips)

another funny thing, when i was checking if there was new stuff, saw ks hair for demonica

someone have convert hundred of hairs to that head?

why not just move that head where it should be?

181014015129719948.jpg

181014015145312950.jpg

nothing to do to load that on that head

and of course that russian won't take care of the op request, all she can do it's convert daz stuff to skyrim

Archived