[Stellaris] Planetary Tile System removal

SexDwarf2250

The planetary tile system is in the process of being removed, judging by what I'm seeing in the current Beta patch. I suggest anyone who enjoys using any population race, clothing, skin or nude mod goes to the forums to voice their displeasure, because if it goes live as the beta stands now, you'll never see your planetary population ever again. Honestly, I don't know what they're thinking.

Maybe they idea is to destroy game by "upgrading" it? :)

Deleting FLT and lies about performance upgrade or paid planet destroyer (was supposed to be free at patch 1.6) makes drop game score from ~86 to 49%. 

After again destroy other game component maybe will drop to 30%... :)

Then paradox will say something like 'there is no more point to expanding stellaris, we move to victoria 3/other game at full force'.

15 hours ago, SexDwarf2250 said:

The planetary tile system is in the process of being removed, judging by what I'm seeing in the current Beta patch. I suggest anyone who enjoys using any population race, clothing, skin or nude mod goes to the forums to voice their displeasure, because if it goes live as the beta stands now, you'll never see your planetary population ever again. Honestly, I don't know what they're thinking.

I'm rather positive to this change, I mean I never liked Tile system and to be truthful I prefer to have a sex economy mod (which I tried to make but resigned as there were to many problems with tile based pops) than some naked images, and I believe that paradox does not abandon portraits for pop just move them to other place.

But as always for me it depends how of new system will be moddable but from first screens and DD I'm pretty positive about it.

4 hours ago, dullman said:

I believe that paradox does not abandon portraits for pop just move them to other place.

Yeah, that other place looks like it is called "trash can." Believe what you want, but I switched to the beta and there were no more portraits for planetary population. As far as I can tell they're just dumbing the system down to remove strategic placement. My guess is that they can't figure out how to make the AI not be retarded about it so they're scrapping "streamlining" it.

Honestly, I will never understand why people hate updates. If you don't like them, you switch back. The only exceptions are MMOs where you can't do it. They want to make a better system. Some people may not like it, some will.

Appart from that, you will see the pops. Do some research or at least wait until they make a dev diary about how the new system will look before starting a revolution. There is a one month old tweet about it, also a recent one (left picture), it looks totally amazing and it does support pops, it may even give access to job based clothings.

12 hours ago, Csiga5biga said:

Honestly, I will never understand why people hate updates. If you don't like them, you switch back. The only exceptions are MMOs where you can't do it. They want to make a better system. Some people may not like it, some will.

Why don't you read my post before responding? I don't mind any update, but just ripping out a working feature is not an "update." There will be no more strategic placement of buildings, no more cost-benefit of location to consider, and this is not an improvement or side-grade, just straight downgrade. Removing an entire terrain or resource system wholesale out of a so-called strategy game just makes me wrinkle my forehead to start with. Running old patches is also not an option for anyone who wants to be able to use mods because they quickly become incompatible, but I guess you must not come to these forums because of mods.

12 hours ago, Csiga5biga said:

Appart from that, you will see the pops. Do some research or at least wait until they make a dev diary about how the new system will look before starting a revolution. There is a one month old tweet about it, also a recent one (left picture), it looks totally amazing and it does support pops, it may even give access to job based clothings.

There might be a screen shot or mock-up about it, but if you had bothered to notice, I did one better than research: I played the beta, and there was no population to be seen anywhere. If it makes it in live, that's nice (or rather, half as shitty), but honestly, I will never understand why people can't be assed to read the things they're spewing off about.

On 8/12/2018 at 11:43 PM, SexDwarf2250 said:

I'll tell you one thing about Stellaris that is annoying as all heck lately.  I paid a decent amount of money for 'a specific game and dlc'  And in the course of 6 months I and everyone else is having that same game transformed into an entirely different game.  If Paradox wants to make a Stellaris 2 they should just do it, rather than constantly gutting the current one.

11 hours ago, SexDwarf2250 said:

Why don't you read my post before responding? I don't mind any update, but just ripping out a working feature is not an "update." There will be no more strategic placement of buildings, no more cost-benefit of location to consider, and this is not an improvement or side-grade, just straight downgrade. Removing an entire terrain or resource system wholesale out of a so-called strategy game just makes me wrinkle my forehead to start with. Running old patches is also not an option for anyone who wants to be able to use mods because they quickly become incompatible, but I guess you must not come to these forums because of mods.

There might be a screen shot or mock-up about it, but if you had bothered to notice, I did one better than research: I played the beta, and there was no population to be seen anywhere. If it makes it in live, that's nice (or rather, half as shitty), but honestly, I will never understand why people can't be assed to read the things they're spewing off about.

Not really happy with the tile removal myself since I liked tinkering with the building and pop placement (thanks to AlphaMod. Tinkering with tiles and pops in Vanilla was indeed superficial. Paradox should have expanded on the adjacency and resource system instead of scrapping it, but I can understand their reasoning. AI programming is one of the most difficult things to do in software development)... but I have to call BS here.

There is no public beta branch currently, and I seriously doubt you're a Paradox employee with access to the dev builds. The most recent info we have is that portraits are at least used in the job assignment screen, based on tweets by Whiz aka Martin Anward. Based on that, even more granularity with portraits and clothing may be possible (specific clothes for specific jobs for example). But portraits won't be gone.

Will portrait and species mods need a serious overhaul? Sure as hell. Many of them will be even discontinued since the modder is fed up with the constant need to redo stuff. And all mods that are based on resource and tile management (like the aforementioned AlphaMod suite) are death, no point in them anymore.

But unless we have more infos how the new system(s) works in detail, jumping to conclusions (and trying to back them with false statements) is just stupid.

Best regards

Kalderon

Agreed, the current plan seems to be just moving the population graphics to another screen. I'm far more optimistic about all the newly supported and moddable things like population roles and new resources, which will have a lot of potential for adult modding. The fact that many aspects of the game now support these custom resources is big, too.

:classic_ph34r:

Spoiler

image.png

From what we know so far:

• New job classes, and slaves volunteers are clearly visible. I've already got dancers, rulers, and a whole slew of new slave indentured servitude outfits lined up to take advantage of the new categories. Word is we can make our own jobs too. Dancing asari (among other things) here we come. :angel:
  • The icons used as tiles aren't gone. So work there won't be wasted. (You can see them behind the pops.)
  • Tile blocker icons have also been re-purposed. So again, no lost work there either.
  • Planets can have features now which will allow us to make them particularly unique. We don't have to rely on modifiers anymore.
  • Buildings aren't gone either. They're in a new area. Which is fantastic because I (and those with buildings mods) won't have artwork lost on that as well.

And that's all before getting into the economic stuff from last week's dev diary. That in particular is really going to help us make our civilizations have wildly different gameplay. There should be a new dev diary today at some point as well. (May even be live by the time I'm posting this, haven't checked yet.)

And of course, the recent dev diary makes things even more clear. I'm pretty close to being ecstatic over it. As much as I can get anyway. ? Many of the types of worlds I wanted to create will now be possible.

Seems next week's diary will be centered around pop jobs, which is what's most important to outfit makers. I'm sure someone will ask Wiz about the possibility of asset selectors being able to figure out what sort of job a pop has. ?

4 hours ago, Nessa said:

And of course, the recent dev diary makes things even more clear. I'm pretty close to being ecstatic over it. As much as I can get anyway. ? Many of the types of worlds I wanted to create will now be possible.

Seems next week's diary will be centered around pop jobs, which is what's most important to outfit makers. I'm sure someone will ask Wiz about the possibility of asset selectors being able to figure out what sort of job a pop has. ?

Same here, love to hear more from the new "tile" system.

Well, if population portraits are gonna make it in after all, that's fine and all, but I don't know why I wouldn't have seen them in the beta... which I notice is no longer in my options in Steam.

Regardless I hate to see them simply remove a strategic aspect of a game. This is like when Civ 5 added hex-based map and removed unit stacks... except, no, wait, the opposite. Doing more with maps, terrain and positioning is what a strategy game ought to work on, not removing them.

Frankly, I was hoping armies might get on the map and add some tactics that way, what with there being capitals and fortresses, etc, instead of just being meaningless counters of manpower ticking down. This will now become an impossibility.

4 hours ago, SexDwarf2250 said:

Frankly, I was hoping armies might get on the map and add some tactics that way, what with there being capitals and fortresses, etc, instead of just being meaningless counters of manpower ticking down. This will now become an impossibility.

No offense my dude, but thats essentially every main paradox game. Its a spreadsheet simulator with a GUI, they were never going to add anything more complicated than numbers smacking together like G.I. Joe figures.

this whole thread reminds me of that video by isorrors (looks it up) Europa Universalis 4: in 2017 - A Tasteful Review where he keeps getting upset by the changes they implemented so he goes back to EU3.

frankly there nothing you can do about it they're going to change the game in ways they see as improvements. I remember when I got CK2 and that game has changed greatly since the old days, hell the game became damn near unplayable a couple times (thank god they added rule sets) but the game is still fun even if I rage at some dumb shit. 

also, this weird complaint about the game changing greatly in 6 months is a mystery to me ck2 came out February 14, 2012 within the year they had unlocked the Muslim world, unlocked republics and given you retinues permanent armies on the map (also sunset invasion but we don't talk about that one) that just how paradox games role they get updated so they don't have to charge 60 dollars for stelaris 2... unlike warhammer 2... sirualy fuck creative assembly  Well i rambled enough for one midnight good night everyone and have good day

15 hours ago, Onimonipea said:

No offense my dude, but thats essentially every main paradox game. Its a spreadsheet simulator with a GUI, they were never going to add anything more complicated than numbers smacking together like G.I. Joe figures.

I hear ya, but why would I be offended? I just gave the example of every main civ game up until V, at which point it actually started seeing a semblance of real military strategy. My hope was that Stellaris improves instead of streamlining the same old tired method (or even less.)

From everything I see I think the upcoming update is going to be for the best. IMHO the current tile system is garbage. Its essentially a copy of Gal Civ's planets and just encourages micromanagement of the planets. 

And looking at the images the devs have been releasing its apparent that pops will remain a thing, so all of our favorite portrait mods will still be viable. Will this break a bunch of mods? Fuck yes. I'm pretty certain MASSA will be broken in fifteen different ways that it hasn't already been broken, but that's the risk one takes in making a mod for a living game.

I'm more than willing to place my trust in the devs. On release Stellaris was, to be perfectly honest, sort of a shitty game. It was bland and forgettable. The only reason I stuck with it was because I knew Paradox would keep working on it and I, personally, feel that its a FAR superior game that it previously was and I feel that each major update, while certainly with minor flaws and annoyances, in the end have served to make the game deeper and more enjoyable.

So shall we stop with all the doom and gloom till the update is actually out?

On 8/12/2018 at 11:43 PM, SexDwarf2250 said:

No your miss understanding the new system they are implementing... you will still have to worry about pops but there will no longer be a 25 hard limit
planets will have districts and the districts will have terrain regions and the regions will be what you build on...
There will actually be more you can do after we get the mods rolling

Archived