Since the topic came up earlier, does anyone think my characters look too similar? Like, I know I have my own idea of what the "ideal person" looks like, but I hope it's not sabotaging my creativity. Do I unknowingly give my characters the same face over and over again? I'm adding two new characters and I don't want them looking too much like the ones I've already made.

Spoiler

1931243109_04-17-19_82523PM.png.b68f0976dded0876c3892fc660e1106b.png77378493_04-17-19_82533PM.png.63f14a9d20bfc49ea39afffddfae426a.png464692563_04-17-19_83055PM.png.d6ad175bc83fee7513d28fd64933f876.png24550000_04-17-19_83101PM.png.977ba33969f0a677c8c057ea3c1c2894.png880051925_04-17-19_83114PM.png.b48246a678e8ffd183a0e674dd6f067f.png814345465_04-17-19_83126PM.png.0d6b1de2d06af81fcf1cc76d333b63a5.png1562378513_04-17-19_90323PM.png.467bd79e274911e9a9b7ee664ba251cd.png1866494582_04-17-19_90327PM.png.19c78c1e69c5186c8ac30de45f83f464.png652687929_04-17-19_92520PM.png.d4698a75b7f4f6ad746a965d2b643803.png1841119544_04-17-19_92525PM.png.792a39b23f25417b298eeb29d147dbf7.png

Also, WIPs for teen Sebastián, Nicolas, and Ivy:

Spoiler

903469608_04-17-19_93112PM.png.edb57ee09924ab26e190f4abace24cec.png2040293602_04-17-19_93127PM.png.b2affc4aeb8f7fc2f3803115bc26e0cc.png364570546_04-17-19_93042PM.png.1ad07d442bb9cd31cd85d0859a884aa9.png1427035157_04-17-19_93051PM.png.74cd95d70bb5dc9354e46922b3b5939f.png882194103_04-17-19_92911PM.png.20c10a7e563965f2817c3c9c12a23c4a.png1905180291_04-17-19_92924PM.png.478b4c3e9d7a63eca2ac335d7a2ec6ff.png

@porkybork In my taste your sims aren't identical, however (it's the case for all sims creator i guess) we can feel your "style" in 'hem. We will inevitably have some similarities somtimes, due to our tastes but also coz we will very often use the same base CCs (skin / eyes for exemple). Anyway, keep it up, i really like your sims.

@porkybork I believe your characters look very different from each other. If I can use @R-Lo or @mrrakkonn as examples, their sims are easily identifiable because these artists possess a very unique style (everyone does, but some are more noticeable). I see your style in each of your sims and I think that's what you're noticing that makes you think your sims look alike. On a separate note, I love your WIP teens! ?

Hello @porkybork, like @Shayeesh and @2cool4u_1, your characters do not look identical, that between them there is some similarity, it is something normal, each creator has his tastes and characteristics when creating his characters.
In my case although there is no similarity, I usually enlarge my eyes a little, make a fine nose, minimum details, apart from the fact that we usually use the CC that we like the most for personalization, skin, eyes, etc.
The truth is that there is one of your characters that I liked a lot, they look good, very natural, at least those that are not fantasy, my fantasy characters are quite different from normal, they are usually dark.

I leave you some captures.

Spoiler

TS4_x64 2018-09-10 03-24-59.pngTS4_x64 2018-11-15 02-54-51.pngTS4_x64 2018-11-19 03-25-36.pngTS4_x64 2019-04-17 01-56-33.pngTS4_x64 2018-11-19 02-29-30.png2_2.jpg07CF16_1.jpg22-01-2018_1-49-59.png

Hey @porkybork

I often antagonise myself with this when making a new sim too, 

Somehow I seem to see features that remind of others I made and spend ages trying to make look distinctive but then not happy if it strays too far, 

I went through a stage of making anime-ish sims but after a while it did become a struggle to get variety in facial structure, 

So I know exactly how you feel, but try not to agonise too much as it's not always the case, they are looking different from others but it's the style/theme that is carried over, 

If you try too hard to make them a world apart then they may not look like they belong in the same world if I'm making sense, 

Yes, dont worry too much about it porky.

Every artist have their style and... things they tend to do while creating. And some aspects are samey from that, but in the whole scheme of the creation, all of them are different. For example, i do believe you can tell my animations out from others by some of the "details" i do in my animations and how i tend to do them. But all of them are still different. But parts are similar.

17 minutes ago, R-Lo said:

Hey @porkybork

I often antagonise myself with this when making a new sim too, 

Somehow I seem to see features that remind of others I made and spend ages trying to make look distinctive but then not happy if it strays too far, 

I went through a stage of making anime-ish sims but after a while it did become a struggle to get variety in facial structure, 

So I know exactly how you feel, but try not to agonise too much as it's not always the case, they are looking different from others but it's the style/theme that is carried over, 

If you try too hard to make them a world apart then they may not look like they belong in the same world if I'm making sense, 

15 minutes ago, Zorak42 said:

Yes, dont worry too much about it porky.

Every artist have their style and... things they tend to do while creating. And some aspects are samey from that, but in the whole scheme of the creation, all of them are different. For example, i do believe you can tell my animations out from others by some of the "details" i do in my animations and how i tend to do them. But all of them are still different. But parts are similar.

As good decision, it is so, the characters of R-Lo, which I think are great, have a common feature that is the physical, stylized characters with enough manga influence.
Apart from that it depends on the personality that you give them also with the traits, it's something that seems silly, but it shows a lot in the game.
On the part of Zorak, I have not seen or I think I have not seen any of his characters, but his animations are really good like those of R-Lo.
The important thing is that you feel comfortable with the character you have created, I in my box there are characters that just see the light of day, I have saved because they do not fit in my game, maybe in some story, but nothing else, other times I finish borrandolos, since it is crazy to have more than 80 characters in play.

2 minutes ago, 2cool4u_1 said:

Awesome work. Always a pleasure to see your stuff.

Thank you, talking about characters, I have to thank mrrakkonn, for leaving me one of his cards to finish a character that was not able to get his face.

Letica, last version1865142162_TS4_x642019-04-1701-56-33.png.ccd8bf15bb10d56012f0e24bae07ede1.png

Everyone's sims reflect their own tastes and preferences and will show some similarity to each other due to that. I do however try (and I hope I generally succeed) at giving each of my sims a distinct appearance in spite of this though, for instance by trying to be very aware of this tendency and self-critical, I often end up discarding or seriously overhauling a sim if I find them to be too similar to another sim of mine. An example of that was my sim Alexis (short-haired blonde I've posted a number of times) who I gave a pretty big overhaul to after I discovered that she looked too much like another sim of mine, Thalia. It's not immediately obvious, but it was there (recently I've started to try out seeing how sims look with the same hairstyle and skintone and eyebrows as other sims to see how similar they actually are), and after the overhaul I found myself much happier with how she looked. Pictures below (oldest picture on here of Alexis I could on short notice, being away from home at the moment, I also started using different eye replacments and other stuff between then and now). 

AlexisFace.png.cf9b0feca9060d528dd0aabc555c7138.pngFace.png.51579f31bcaf28374cc69782382f4244.pngFace.png.427d4472dcb45969579774cd7547d6fa.png

On the topic of sims looking similar (or having "less personality" to them), it may sound a bit arrogant, but I think where most people make mistakes, even people who are capable of making good-looking sims, is not paying enough attention to noses and chins/jawlines. It varies from person to person exactly how this manifests, but you'll see alot of different sims who all have kind of the same pointed chin and oval jawline/faceshape and the same small, narrow nose.

There's alot you can do in terms of variety/personality by trying to get away from this a bit, doing so also really helps if you're trying to make sims of different ethnicities/races (which I've seen some people express having difficulty with before, and you can see often that people kind of just make the same kind of face they find attractive and apply a different skin and eye color). I actually find that myself I tend to gravitate towards giving my sims bigger noses and such than I think alot of other sim creators do ? (though I do try to remain conscious of this and some of my newer sims I've tried giving smaller, narrower noses). That may in part come from a personal opinion that, especially in a game with a bit of a cartoony look like Sims 4, attractive people with some exaggerated or "imperfect" features often tend to stand out more than others, and as a result be more attractive, though that's of course a personal observation and preference again. One of the sims I somewhat recently made (well it was a pretty extensive rework of an older sim) that I'm most happy with is Maryam, who has what you could call a giant beak of a nose, but I think if I did away with that she'd stand out so much less than if I went with a more generally attractive/aesthetic smaller/narrower nose. 

Face.png.610a6a18aaec22ab32f8f78af5a06e50.png

And part o the same goes for lots of other stuff like faceshape/jawline, cheekbones and eye separation. Try out some combination of exaggerated or less "generally attractive" for those and you may find you end up with more distinctive and memorable sims. 

Well, that's what I think at least.  

@mrrakkonn You are 200% correct. I noticed that about your sims (the more distinct/extreme features including jawlines and cheekbones), and took that to my own sims. The problem I had; I use my own base sim(s) too often, or I randomize one in CAS, but I only like 1 or 2 presets. I used to hide behind skin overlays to add differences, but there are only a select few I like. I wanted more unique looking sims, that stand out more, the way yours do. Finally, I discovered "Zerbu's CAS Presets". I never knew randomized sims could look so good --it's amazing. Now I randomize a sim and use that as a base, so that each sim looks different, having larger/smaller features. Thanks to you and R-Lo, I know you can make great looking sims without them being alpha sims.

5 minutes ago, 2cool4u_1 said:

@mrrakkonn You are 200% correct. I noticed that about your sims (the more distinct/extreme features including jawlines and cheekbones), and took that to my own sims. The problem I had; I use my own base sim(s) too often, or I randomize one in CAS, but I only like 1 or 2 presets. I used to hide behind skin overlays to add differences, but there are only a select few I like. I wanted more unique looking sims, that stand out more, the way yours do. Finally, I discovered "Zerbu's CAS Presets". I never knew randomized sims could look so good --it's amazing. Now I randomize a sim and use that as a base, so that each sim looks different, having larger/smaller features. Thanks to you and R-Lo, I know you can make great looking sims without them being alpha sims.

Admitted I was super drawn the alpha hairstyle at first and found tons that I loved, but the deeper I got with reshade meant a makeover, 

As gorgeous as some of those styles are, I was won over by maxis match in the end, 

I find that often when I go from random, I'm still drawn to certain skin details which will drive things into a familiar look

@mrrakkonn: interesting idea to give an imperfection so the perfection stands out more.

I must admit that the rather distinctive noses were quite obvious (to me at least). It's perfectly ok because everybody has a personal idea of beauty. That your sims - I don't mean you specific, but generally speaking - look alike like a family is difficult to avoid. When using pictures of ordinary people you might encounter on the streets or the supermarket, it's possible to do. My own Simmies will have the same similarities due to my preferences, likings and dislikings. So sometimes I give myself the task to do something completely different.  But it's good to be aware of the fact one tends to make more or less the same sims. 

2 hours ago, kortjakje said:

@mrrakkonn: interesting idea to give an imperfection so the perfection stands out more.

I must admit that the rather distinctive noses were quite obvious (to me at least). It's perfectly ok because everybody has a personal idea of beauty. That your sims - I don't mean you specific, but generally speaking - look alike like a family is difficult to avoid. When using pictures of ordinary people you might encounter on the streets or the supermarket, it's possible to do. My own Simmies will have the same similarities due to my preferences, likings and dislikings. So sometimes I give myself the task to do something completely different.  But it's good to be aware of the fact one tends to make more or less the same sims. 

4 hours ago, 2cool4u_1 said:

I can not say much about characters, since I do not consider myself a great creator of them, but something I've learned is that the game itself gives you pleasant surprises, Tanya, who is the character I use in the nickname, is the fruit of the game, luck, so I have some characters that you need for something, a story for example and you do not want to spend time creating the characters, then use genetics or chance, some stay at home for the game, others will fulfill their destiny , die in some of my stories.

Each creator has his own style, fantasy as is the case of R-Lo others are in the middle although I decline more for a more realistic type of character, then you have Mariana as realism, they are really detailed characters.
None is better than another, they are different styles, there are sims that you can like more, for details, others that do not fit your style, for example my mrrakkonn I like to see his characters, they are really good, in their style they are perfect , the faces that he creates, but they are characters that do not fit with me, the same would happen with the characters of R-Lo and that I'm in love with Kitty, it's his style and they are characters that I do not see in my game.

I have two characters that have given me, Jayla Mendoza, which I am using, is a character for me perfect, that fits my style, on the other hand I have a Victorian-style Baby Doll and I think that in this story I'm riding the use, since it is a very particular style.