SE Compatibility Tracking (Apr 23)

10 hours ago, cfoster8 said:

I have Jcontainers64 v4.1.1 that I downloaded just a few days ago.  At one time I had an earlier version and was getting a warning that it wouldn't work but that disappeared when I switched.  The only thing I noticed in MadManGuns thread for oldrim MNC was that the CF esm should come after the SL and arouused esms.  I changed my load order to match but the result is the same.

You may have a mod ported and installed, that contained jcontainers or parts of it. (Some modders did that, so they don't have to cope with that problem that ppl forget to install it.) 

You may also have to check for version problems: the different Jcontainer versions run only with different SKSE versions which only run with different Skyrim versions. You have to make sure, that the versions fit to each other.

If you get stuck in the registration process, it is usually Jcontainers not working, or having nothing to registrate. So More nasty critters or something like that has to be installed and active. Well, it is usually the case that ppl install MNC, realize that they need CF for it, and wonder why it doesn't work because they don't have Jcontainers.  Do jo have any problems with SLAL?

7 hours ago, Ronin197933 said:

I am kinda new to this and still learning. But how do you utilize Uilib for moding

For SL Tools, you only need to drop the script into your game along with it.  There are instructions on the mod page and elsewhere online for using it in mods I think.

I would just like to report that the Lover's Comfort (continuation version) MCM is broken. When I click it the menu is blank and locks up other MCMs until I press ESC. Anyone know a fix? I ported the mod correctly. 

14 hours ago, Pfiffy said:

You may have a mod ported and installed, that contained jcontainers or parts of it. (Some modders did that, so they don't have to cope with that problem that ppl forget to install it.) 

You may also have to check for version problems: the different Jcontainer versions run only with different SKSE versions which only run with different Skyrim versions. You have to make sure, that the versions fit to each other.

If you get stuck in the registration process, it is usually Jcontainers not working, or having nothing to registrate. So More nasty critters or something like that has to be installed and active. Well, it is usually the case that ppl install MNC, realize that they need CF for it, and wonder why it doesn't work because they don't have Jcontainers.  Do jo have any problems with SLAL?

Looking at SLAL in the MCM, I don't see anything to suggest I have a problem there. My animations do appear in SLAL, no error messages and when I re-register it says it's successful.   I have MNC v11.1 ASE, HCS v1.01SE, Anub creature, Anub Human, Creature Schlongs, Jcontainers64 4.1.1, RohZima slal pack, ZAZ.  Vortex does show some conflicts: anub creature with anub human that I haven' prioritized, creature schlongs with mnc and I have mnc loading after it, mnc with slal and I have slal loading after it, rohzima slal pk with slal & I have slal loading first.  My skyrim is vers 1.5.39.0.8.  skse64 is 2.0.7 release 56 which is obviously correct for that version of skyrim since it does run.  Not sure how I can tell if the jcontaners is right for that version  I downloaded it from github.  It's on the nexus now and 4.1.1 is still the latest version and says that t needs skse64 v 2.0.7 which is what I have.

I installed CF and the newest jcontainers on a saved game.  I think I'll try a new one and see if things resolve themselves.  

36 minutes ago, cfoster8 said:

Looking at SLAL in the MCM, I don't see anything to suggest I have a problem there. My animations do appear in SLAL, no error messages and when I re-register it says it's successful.   I have MNC v11.1 ASE, HCS v1.01SE, Anub creature, Anub Human, Creature Schlongs, Jcontainers64 4.1.1, RohZima slal pack, ZAZ.  Vortex does show some conflicts: anub creature with anub human that I haven' prioritized, creature schlongs with mnc and I have mnc loading after it, mnc with slal and I have slal loading after it, rohzima slal pk with slal & I have slal loading first.  My skyrim is vers 1.5.39.0.8.  skse64 is 2.0.7 release 56 which is obviously correct for that version of skyrim since it does run.  Not sure how I can tell if the jcontaners is right for that version  I downloaded it from github.  It's on the nexus now and 4.1.1 is still the latest version and says that t needs skse64 v 2.0.7 which is what I have.

I installed CF and the newest jcontainers on a saved game.  I think I'll try a new one and see if things resolve themselves.  

Have you verified your load order is right in Vortex? I had to put in a few rules on the plugins page to make the order follow what's on MNC's page.

Is allow creatures checked in sexlab's options?

Do you have any creation club content? I'm not sure if there's still a problem with CF registering if they're present even with the latest JContainers. (tasairis do you know if this was fixed with 4.1.1?)

2 hours ago, zarantha said:

Have you verified your load order is right in Vortex? I had to put in a few rules on the plugins page to make the order follow what's on MNC's page.

Is allow creatures checked in sexlab's options?

Do you have any creation club content? I'm not sure if there's still a problem with CF registering if they're present even with the latest JContainers. (tasairis do you know if this was fixed with 4.1.1?)

It should be fixed as long as Bethnet didn't pushed out some update that has broken it again.

The error of CF caught in the initializing loop is usually an issue with JC not working correctly.

If the version chain is fitting it seem like there is something else is messing it up.

The Anub error comes from both packs sharing the same animojects.esp. I made shure that both packs share the same data so there is no problem in the installation order.

HCOS 1.01. is a bit outdated, but should be working... Maybe the new version is worth to give it a try....Together with Creature Schlongs it might be a little much load on startup. Adding the stuff one by one to CF would be saver. And trying it on  a new game is always a good Idea.

4 hours ago, khumak said:

Just thought I'd report that SLEN works fine for me in SE without needing to convert anything.  Just have to unpack the bsa.

Yes, this has been reported right from the start. Too bad, that noone will ever be able to make an official upload for it....  

Open Letter:

Hi there,

Ok, I have done ZAZ7, 8.0 and I'm at the final cleanup of ZAZ 8+. I'm also throu with porting DDa/DDi/DDx and DCL,

and I want to share some of the expieriences that I have made.

Making ports for an official release is something different as doing it for private use, or doing things like simply convert some anim packs and put them online as long as the authors didn't take over the SE release themselves. 

ZAZ and DD are frameworks, that other Mods need as dependency, so you need to be a bit more accurate. And if you are dealing with ZAZ 8+ or DDx, you have to deal with a lot of Stuff, that you need to look at.

What I have found:

Unused/broken models: Well, they have been there... I have done my best to repair them if Nifoptimizer didn't do the job for me, or simply deleted them if they were not used

Wrong texture paths: An easy thing to edit with NifSkope...

Wrong scaled textures: Here it is getting interesting. They have been in the different packs for years now and always worked in Oldrim. As far as Nifoptimizer reported them, they were easy to find, Some could be rescaled to fit the standards, some could be deleted, because they haven't been in use, still no problem. If they are close to the standards, they don't seem to do any harm.  (I have reported the doggibelt texture from ZAZ, that I have found in several other mods, but didn't seem to cause much trouble in SE so far)

But then a user reported a wrong texture path in DCL.

And here it comes: 

While fixing the texture path for the converted model, the textures crashed Nifskope. Yes, not an in-game issue: IT CRASHED NIFSKOPE! 

The same model is in use in DDx with the same textures and it is not reported to make any problems. And the textures had been checked with Nifoptimizer before and have not been reported as bad. If they crash nifscope, what will they do in SE if you put the model on and walk into Riften? Well, simply rescaling them a bit helped me. But you might realize at this point, that they really have an impact on SE, so whenever you do a conversion, check the textures. 

Facegendata could also be a trouble maker. Whenever you get a CTD, while getting closer to a NPC or on cell change, take a look at the Facegendata. You will usually find a broken headmesh.

Nifoptimizer has its little issues: In its description it says, that it will also optimize already optimized nifs. Yeah... I found one that was optimized to death.

I don't want to say, that it is buggy, but it is not perfect. Not for the nifs and not for the textures. You always have to check the models yourself.

Animations and converttoskyrimSE.bat: converting animations is such an easything to do with this tool. But the guide is.....hm.... How do I say it with frindly words?

Well, what ever you do while converting mods:

DON'T DO IT IN YOUR GAME FOLDER. 

(Repeat this again, again and again)

If you wreck something up it will be hard to find all the files, which have been edited and mod managers are usually also not able to delete files that have been changed outside of them. You will sooner or later end up with a wrecked installation, without knowing what went wrong.

You should also not run it in two or more windows. It will start to mess things up

Resaving in the CK:

I have always been a bit critical about the resaving of esps/esms, but I had to do it in this case. Especially in the case of DD, because I did it more or less as a job for the DD team.

Again I have stumbled over a few things, that you should think about when you do conversions for youself:

When I started to do conversions, I didn't know about the header and my conversions worked or didn't work. Well, learning by doing. As long as they worked, they have been stable even in the long term.

ZAZ 7 proved to be an easy conversion. I have checked the esm in SSEedit before resaving it and I found one error in a Weapon entry. Following the steps for resaving an esm I came to the part of changing something and opened this weapon entry (there is only one) closed it, and after saving the error was gone. Yeah!

ZAZ 8 gave me a few more errors, but it had also a few more weapons, and following the steps and open and closing the weapons in the CK, I had only one error left. I haven't found that entry, but it had been in it before so I think that any trouble that it could make, will be same as it has made in Oldrim, too. 

The DD 4.0 esm's had been the same proceedure, but I had to deal with other errors. They came from the magic section. I didn't try to change them because it looked like that they are related to scripts. I didn't want to mess things up. And the esm's have been good in oldrim, so I decided to a diferent edit and undo it (well the CK didn't undo it, I had to clean it out in SEEEdit) Resaved them and I think, they are as good or bad as they have been in Oldrim before. With 4.1 I had a few more trouble, but as it is a beta, still in work, I think, it is not really relevant at this point.

Then I moved over to DCL. Well, not my usual stuff. But after all it was the best experience that I could make in doing conversions.

Again Weapon and Magic errors in the CK before resaving it, after resaving the esp the Weapon error was gone and the error messages according to the magic changed, also the size of the ESM changed at about 3k's. It will take a lot of testing to find out what has changed, and if it will it be better afterwards, or if it made things worse. 

But:

Checking the LAL addon esp was the most interesting part. Here we have a little quest for Live another life. No errors before opening it in the CK, after resaving erros according to the quest.

According to all the guides about converting mods I'm left with the following question:

What is better: Having maybe inconsitencies on the long run because it is not resaved in the new CK, or having no inconsitencies at all because it is death on arrival.

Another thing about converting mods at that scale of DD or ZAZ is a thing that really bothers me: I feel that there seems to be something essential missing in all the guides about converting mods and that seems to be related to localization and/or to soft dependencies. I can not really put a finger on it.

Why do some ppl have problems with missing dialog lines, while other ppl following the same steps don't have any problems at all?

Why are some errors ported 1 to 1, why do some errors change? Why does resaving an esp in the new CK break it?

Well, make out of it what you want. It might help you or it might leave you as confused as it leaves me right at this point. 

best wishes for your next conversion

Pfiffy

Hi Pfuffy,

I also had problems with Nifoptimizer. Optimizing for example facegen data left hair looking very weird in nifscope. I read somewhere that you can also use nifModify for optymizing meshes. I just don't remember where ☹️. I do remember that I downloaded .bat file for it from somewhere separately. I did try it on facegen and it seams to work without messing hair and I didn't get CTD. Maybe it will be helpful.

Maybe off topic, but I was planning to do a Skyrim run after my exams. Should I stick with Oldrim or try SSE? I run quite a bit of mods, so it's kind of annoying to play on 32bit Skyrim. Heaviest mods I use are SL, Defeat, SD+ and Cursed loot.

3 hours ago, DzOnIxD said:

Maybe off topic, but I was planning to do a Skyrim run after my exams. Should I stick with Oldrim or try SSE? I run quite a bit of mods, so it's kind of annoying to play on 32bit Skyrim. Heaviest mods I use are SL, Defeat, SD+ and Cursed loot.

There are so few mods that haven't either been converted to work with SE that there really isn't much reason not to switching over at this point. The only real advantage of sticking with the 32-Bit Skyrim is the lack of updates means that one's mods will never be unexpectedly become incompatible with the current version,

15 hours ago, leizar said:

Hi Pfuffy,

I also had problems with Nifoptimizer. Optimizing for example facegen data left hair looking very weird in nifscope. I read somewhere that you can also use nifModify for optymizing meshes. I just don't remember where ☹️. I do remember that I downloaded .bat file for it from somewhere separately. I did try it on facegen and it seams to work without messing hair and I didn't get CTD. Maybe it will be helpful.

I have just discovered that leaving them as they are in some cases is the best optimization...Was a funny thing with ZAZ. After converting the nifs, some markers were visible, coping the original files in made them invisible again. Lerning by making stupid things.... Doing the same with the two invisible trees also helped, while all other things I have tried failed. For Facegendata it also seems like that the best thing to do is to do nothing. I still don't understand why sometimes resaving will break esp's. Did accidentially a resave with the SE version of Alternate start and added a few errors on the way...  Seems like this resaving thing was one of the best Ideas ever.  You will definitly have no inconsitencies on the long run with a mod that is broken from the start.

I've had the same experience with Facegen.  Any time I tried to run Facegen through NIF Optimizer I get black faces so I just leave those as oldrim meshes.  I optimize everything else though.  I should try the CK again some time, but every previous attempt I've made with it I get a CTD any time I exit or try to save anything.  This was with MO2.  Haven't tried it yet since switching to Vortex.

I haven't converted many mods with NPCs, but I have done a few and I've never had problems with faces. And I'm one of the (few remaining) people who say to convert everything regardless.

My conversion process is: check and convert meshes with Nif Optimizer (doing faces separately), check and convert textures with NifScan, convert animations and recompile scripts if any, open up Creation Kit on the ESP(s) and resave which seems to regenerate face textures. It's that last part that may be what makes everything work for me: convert meshes and textures first, then run through CK. I'd be curious if anyone with problems does it differently and what happens if they try it in that order.

13 minutes ago, tasairis said:

I haven't converted many mods with NPCs, but I have done a few and I've never had problems with faces. And I'm one of the (few remaining) people who say to convert everything regardless.

My conversion process is: check and convert meshes with Nif Optimizer (doing faces separately), check and convert textures with NifScan, convert animations and recompile scripts if any, open up Creation Kit on the ESP(s) and resave which seems to regenerate face textures. It's that last part that may be what makes everything work for me: convert meshes and textures first, then run through CK. I'd be curious if anyone with problems does it differently and what happens if they try it in that order.

How do you recompile the scripts?

I am trying to convert sexlab survival and it all works after the  rest of standard conversion, except it won't link with realistic needs and diseases.

10 hours ago, Pfiffy said:

I still don't understand why sometimes resaving will break esp's. Did accidentially a resave with the SE version of Alternate start and added a few errors on the way...  Seems like this resaving thing was one of the best Ideas ever.  You will definitly have no inconsitencies on the long run with a mod that is broken from the start.

That may be because CK maybe loads .esm in wrong order/some maters are not esmfied or some thing like that. Which is always good to check for errors after saving :)

33 minutes ago, Pfiffy said:

Well, an interesting question: What happens if you resave Alternate start?

My knowledge is insufficient to answer your question (esp is changed to new 44 format? masters are sorted in CK load order (beacause master files in file header section in Xedit need to be in correct order)? new facegen data is generated? changes are saved?). Black magic happens.

12 minutes ago, leizar said:

My knowledge is insufficient to answer your question (esp is changed to new 44 format? masters are sorted in CK load order (beacause master files in file header section in Xedit need to be in correct order)? new facegen data is generated? changes are saved?). Black magic happens.

Well, I want to find out why it throws errors after resaving, so I need ppl who open it in the CK and do the usual steps for resaving an esp and check if they have the same errors in it like me or if the results differ.... Well, it has the 44 header already, so there is no need to do so. And it has no errors. I want to track down how they come in after resaving.

I just tried to save it and it did work and there were no errors in it, although I didn't run CK trough MO2 (as they are setup to overwrite mod now instead putting everything in to overwrite folder). So I had to copy esp in to steam data folder, open CK normally (not through MO2), load save. I deleted generated facegen (meshes and textures). Opened saved esp in xEdit and there were no errors.

I noticed though that alternate start alters navmeshes so maybe this is it? I had CK crashes when it was computing navmeshes couple times.