SE Compatibility Tracking (Apr 23)

6 minutes ago, 4nk8r said:

Not quite my point, but I understand what you mean so I'll stop here.

Your point was "some people will stay on 1.5.97 and others will move to 1.6.318 so will SexLab/etc. maintain versions for both?" and my answer is basically "given that this rarely ever happens in the Skyrim modding world, least of all with SexLab, and given that SE and AE are the same game, I would guess no".

3 minutes ago, tasairis said:

Five years is silly, even for a pessimistic view. Of the mods with active authors, I'm figuring half will update within a month of SKSE finalizing (they've already started trickling in now) and the other half within 3 months. Impossible to say for the mods with inactive authors.

AE is in the state as SE right now. If you read your post again which I quoted. 

Active authors, impossible to say. I explicite say, the same state.

6 hours ago, tasairis said:

Your point was "some people will stay on 1.5.97 and others will move to 1.6.318 so will SexLab/etc. maintain versions for both?" and my answer is basically "given that this rarely ever happens in the Skyrim modding world, least of all with SexLab, and given that SE and AE are the same game, I would guess no".

I'm just a fairly unsophisticated SSE player. I have a relatively stable SSE build (pre-AE) that I like to tinker with at times, and I've blocked steam from updating.

Based on my limited understanding, AE requires a new version of SKSE and mods that use address functions will need to be updated to match that SKSE. Presumably updated mods won't work with the pre-AE SSE version either.

That means every time I consider playing around with a mod I haven't tried before I'll have to ascertain whether it's uses the AE version of SKSE, in which case I'll have to avoid it. Conversely, at some point in time I may believe that enough of my favourite mods now work in AE that I'll consider switching over (and hope it isn't too janky).

So while there are good technical arguments that AE and SSE are indeed the same game, from a user's perspective they feel like two different editions since - as far as I understand - you can't mix the flavours with SKSE dependent mods (which is many of them).

21 minutes ago, Anunya said:

I'm just a fairly unsophisticated SSE player. I have a relatively stable SSE build (pre-AE) that I like to tinker with at times, and I've blocked steam from updating.

Based on my limited understanding, AE requires a new version of SKSE and mods that use address functions will need to be updated to match that SKSE. Presumably updated mods won't work with the pre-AE SSE version either.

That means every time I consider playing around with a mod I haven't tried before I'll have to ascertain whether it's uses the AE version of SKSE, in which case I'll have to avoid it. Conversely, at some point in time I may believe that enough of my favourite mods now work in AE that I'll consider switching over (and hope it isn't too janky).

So while there are good technical arguments that AE and SSE are indeed the same game, from a user's perspective they feel like two different editions since - as far as I understand - you can't mix the flavours with SKSE dependent mods (which is many of them).

Mods that only use the script extender functions of SKSE should be fine with either version. Mods that have a SKSE DLL will be version dependent.

1 minute ago, fred200 said:

Mods that only use the script extender functions of SKSE should be fine with either version. Mods that have a SKSE DLL will be version dependent.

That's good to know. I guess the question for the average user (or if I'm being honest... me) is which mods have an SKSE DLL and which ones do not. It would be super awesome if, over time, SSE mods got tagged somehow to indicate whether that's the case.

41 minutes ago, Anunya said:

Just like was the case with every other SE update in the last few years.

Just like was the case with every other SE update in the last few years.

However, if this situation goes the same as all the others then over the next few months, or even year, most people will transition to using the latest version of SE - whatever you want to call it - and DLL authors will decide that they only want to support that single latest version and not deal with pre- and post-AE downloads.

This update had one thing to make it different from the others: a big release. Because Bethesda decided to milk the TES:V name for a bit more money by releasing a bunch of CC mods in a big hoopla of spending. "Hey everyone! You like Creation Club mods? Here's a $20 DLC containing all of them!"

The modding community itself is half the reason 1.6 feels important because they hyped this update for at least a month. "Hey everyone! There's going to be a new update and it's going to break everything! Prepare yourselves now for the Skyrim AE-pocalypse!" And it really doesn't help that the term "anniversary" has too many ambiguous usages.

So yeah, it might feel special, but ultimately it's 80% an over-hyped larger-than-average EXE update, 15% confusion about the update versus a new DLC versus a new Steam bundle, and 5% Bethesda giving away a few popular CC mods to all SE users for free.

Well I'm glad you're confident about it - makes me a bit more optimistic as well :)

I've been around for a few years, but I don't think I've been through an update (or if I have it's been so trivial that I didn't even notice), so it's hard for me to really separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to the AEpocalypse. I appreciate your more detailed explanation and setting out a reasonable set of expectations for what will happen.

Why should a SE player ever update to AE?

LE to SE was a big step forward in terms of performance and stability, the update from SE to AE provides restrictions and troubles only.

It took years until SKSE for SE was able to step into the shoes of the predecessor and the air becomes thinner for hackers who are really willing to dig through the mud of reverse engineering.

I think AE is ringing the bell for the twilight of Skyrim adult modding,

Edited by zaira
35 minutes ago, zaira said:

LE to SE was a big step forward in terms of performance and stability, the update from SE to AE provides restrictions and troubles only.

It took years until SKSE for SE was able to step into the shoes of the predecessor and the air becomes thinner for hackers who are really willing to dig through the mud of reverse engineering.

I think AE is ringing the bell for the dawn of Skyrim adult modding,

DOOM AND GLOOM!

1.6 another SE update, but it comes with actual stuff in it instead of just another mysterious EXE update. Like it added a whole new dungeon kit. And even if their fishing mod isn't that much, they gave everyone Rare Curios and Saints & Seducers for free - which means their assets are available to use too, such as the new creature S&S added that Pfiffy pointed out (which will have particular appeal to particular members of our particular community) or RC's assortment of new items.

So no, it's not a big update, but it's more than the meaningless churn that we're used to getting.

1 hour ago, tasairis said:

DOOM AND GLOOM!

1.6 another SE update, but it comes with actual stuff in it instead of just another mysterious EXE update. Like it added a whole new dungeon kit. And even if their fishing mod isn't that much, they gave everyone Rare Curios and Saints & Seducers for free - which means their assets are available to use too, such as the new creature S&S added that Pfiffy pointed out (which will have particular appeal to particular members of our particular community) or RC's assortment of new items.

So no, it's not a big update, but it's more than the meaningless churn that we're used to getting.

Well, this update suddenly makes SE really different from LE. Now we have some features, that LE didn't have. Even if most of us wouldn't go fishing... And even if we have new creatures, we will not get anims for them, because most if not all of the animators still still work on LE. BTW: Did we get a new scripting engine?  I wonder why I don't get old scripts to compile. 

6 hours ago, zaira said:

The only thing that this update should be the end of is the idea that it is better to give people metaphorical fish than it is to teach them to fish. If there were more tutorials and resource file downloads which would allow anyone out there with the will to update mod components rather than wait for one individual to do it if they ever will. 

while super inconvenient for mods , my understanding is that the new engine actually works better and actually stream lines some stuff. saw one guy on youtube say his mod broke cuz the new engine was loading it too fast so he had to go in and put in a 3 second delay haha and now it runs smoother than ever , sadly I don't have a link it was an auto play you tube choose for me and I didn't think to save it 

8 hours ago, zaira said:

The reports (rumors?) of the scripts running faster intrigue me. This sounds like things were optimized to run better, so it is in theory a better experience under heavy load. Probably not much use for a light modder (or even a whole new problem in some ways), but a potential boon for heavily modded games. We shall have to wait and see.

The new stuff is cool too. I've been hoping for elytra animations for a while, now that it will be widely available and not paywall blocked, it might get done. eventually.

Edited by zarantha
1 minute ago, Ironeater said:

while super inconvenient for mods , my understanding is that the new engine actually works better and actually stream lines some stuff. saw one guy on youtube say his mod broke cuz the new engine was loading it too fast so he had to go in and put in a 3 second delay haha and now it runs smoother than ever , sadly I don't have a link it was an auto play you tube choose for me and I didn't think to save it 

This is what I was seeing, and I think it's what you meant:

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/qrwyrg/scripts_appear_to_run_faster_on_the_anniversary/

4 hours ago, zarantha said:

This is what I was seeing, and I think it's what you meant:

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/qrwyrg/scripts_appear_to_run_faster_on_the_anniversary/

While I certainly do hope that Bethesda got their around around that, it most probably still won't be the case that script execution now is independent from frame count, is it? Does somebody have info to that?

2 hours ago, Mister X said:

While I certainly do hope that Bethesda got their around around that, it most probably still won't be the case that script execution now is independent from frame count, is it? Does somebody have info to that?

I would seriously doubt any of that is different. Physics and Papyrus being tied to frames is a fundamental aspect of how the engine works. Decoupling that would be a major change.