SE Compatibility Tracking (Apr 23)

Ugh. I assumed SKSE mods were forwards-compatible. Of course not.

Updating...

* Trying to track what SKSE64 mods have been updated and not

And I'll put it bluntly: I do not recommend using the downgrade instructions that are being posted all over Reddit and LoversLab. The ones that tell you how to download the previous version of SkyrimSE.exe. Why? Because that's not the only thing that changed with the update!

Better instructions

4 hours ago, tasairis said:

Ugh. I assumed SKSE mods were forwards-compatible. Of course not.

Updating...

* Trying to track what SKSE64 mods have been updated and not

And I'll put it bluntly: I do not recommend using the downgrade instructions that are being posted all over Reddit and LoversLab. The ones that tell you how to download the previous version of SkyrimSE.exe. Why? Because that's not the only thing that changed with the update!

Better instructions

Random Sex just got updated for SKSE64 2.07 and 1.63 beta2 hotfix. 

17 minutes ago, Malo said:

Is there a particular programming necessity that requires mods using SKSE to check for version == instead of version >= ? In case of deprecation/function changes?

A check of version >= wont work. Most of the skse plugins use classes and functions defined in SKSE and that is done using the SKSE64 dll as a library. When the plugin dll is generated the referenced classes and functions are copied inside the dll. That means if the check is for version >= the dll will load but it wont work because there is inside the dll classes and functions from an older version of SKSE64, with the older pointers into Skyrim exe memory

6 minutes ago, tavi2018 said:

I have been having trouble porting sexlab-eager-npcs to SSE. Is there any chance someone can do this and add it to be downloaded on this site?

you shouldn't have issues was one of the easiest mods to convert. And one of the most stable What is the problem ?

5 minutes ago, tavi2018 said:

I have been having trouble porting sexlab-eager-npcs to SSE. Is there any chance someone can do this and add it to be downloaded on this site?

You need the permission of the author to do that. After offering some of my conversions here and struggleing with the support of them, I really don't want to add more tasks to my list. And I don't really understand what your problems are. It was one of the first mods that I had running and there is not much to do on it.

I remember Odlrim SKSE plugins being more flexible with version updates of SKSE, barring API changes.  Given that this recent update is for new functionality (VR), I can see Beth pumping out a few more bugfix updates in the near future.  Hopefully those changes aren't so radical that SKSE mods can't once again enjoy some of the forward-compatiblity Oldrim SKSE enjoyed.

Is the best method of preventing Steam updates still the manifest hack and making the file read-only?  Considering how much changed this time around, I'm going to have to keep more than the EXE backed up.

I was close to making the switch but I just hit limbo. The skse plugin Better Jumping, which allows you to jump while sprinting and determine how high/far you can jump, will likely not be ported as the author has seemingly moved on from skyrim. Now after years of using the mod and going back to the cheap jumping of the vanilla game 'sprint-stop-jump like a nub' that is a major deal breaker....gah, never easy is it?

3 hours ago, Distortedrealms said:

I was close to making the switch but I just hit limbo. The skse plugin Better Jumping, which allows you to jump while sprinting and determine how high/far you can jump, will likely not be ported as the author has seemingly moved on from skyrim. Now after years of using the mod and going back to the cheap jumping of the vanilla game 'sprint-stop-jump like a nub' that is a major deal breaker....gah, never easy is it?

There's a mod for sprint jumping. It doesn't have all the cheat options of Better jumping (double jump and so on), but at least you'll still have your sprint jump...

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/15066?tab=description

5 minutes ago, infiniteone said:

Im still wating on Racemenu to update as well, seems to be my last straggler, had to downgrade skyrim lol

Race menu and Fuz Ro Doh and JC have not been updated jet... And then Beth wil do the next update and we can start all over again...

4 hours ago, Pfiffy said:

Race menu and Fuz Ro Doh and JC have not been updated jet... And then Beth wil do the next update and we can start all over again...

CBP Physics as well. I wonder if this is a fight "we" as a community cannot win. Maybe we should decide "That's it! We're stopping this train here. Everything will be for this version from now on." :tongue:

7 hours ago, daedalron said:

There's a mod for sprint jumping. It doesn't have all the cheat options of Better jumping (double jump and so on), but at least you'll still have your sprint jump...

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/15066?tab=description

Whaaaaat? Thanks for the heads up! Just a few more essential mods to either wait for a conversion, or alternatives. 

Okay, i have a question for you all because it is the next big hindrance to moving over to SSE. I use a body texture replacement, adorable face, for my character but the mod has not been available for a long time (I think all in one animated pussy has(d) it) how would I go about transferring the head mesh/textures over to SSE?

6 minutes ago, Distortedrealms said:

Whaaaaat? Thanks for the heads up! Just a few more essential mods to either wait for a conversion, or alternatives. 

Okay, i have a question for you all because it is the next big hindrance to moving over to SSE. I use a body texture replacement, adorable face, for my character but the mod has not been available for a long time (I think all in one animated pussy has(d) it) how would I go about transferring the head mesh/textures over to SSE?

Textures are the only thing that don't need a conversion. And you better don't try to convert head meshes....

2 hours ago, Distortedrealms said:

SSE NIF Optimizer https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/4089/. Also checks if textures are compatible with SSE (most of them are).

I have converted two head meshes without issues using that tool. However make sure to separate conversion of head from other meshes.

2 hours ago, Contessa said:

CBP Physics as well. I wonder if this is a fight "we" as a community cannot win. Maybe we should decide "That's it! We're stopping this train here. Everything will be for this version from now on." :tongue:

Well, it it's not a fight. I'm just a fatalist. But it would be more useful to update Skyrim by correcting the bugs it still has than tu update it with more features that will have to be updated again and again... This time it took very long from 1.5.23 to 1.5.39. Hopefully it will take a few more months before the next update.

3 hours ago, Pfiffy said:

Well, it it's not a fight. I'm just a fatalist. But it would be more useful to update Skyrim by correcting the bugs it still has than tu update it with more features that will have to be updated again and again... This time it took very long from 1.5.23 to 1.5.39. Hopefully it will take a few more months before the next update.

Since Bethesda just introduced new functionality in this update (VR), not just some bugfix that had been lingering since 1.5.23 or earlier, it's not unreasonable to expect new bugs.  I just hope we don't lose any more mod authors as a result.  TBH, I expected the VR release to be separate like SSE was from LE.

Thought this was VR update, but it was for CC and some other minor fixes.  I need to read more.