Mass Effect Andromeda Problem... (Black Screen of Doom)

Awkward Nymph

I'm posting here out of desperation, and my experience with Skyrim, which I think, might have problems that are related to my own.

I'm not sure what to do, but when I try to get off world, or dock on a planet...the take off cinematic/land will play and then fade to black screen.  Nothing.  No loading circle thing etc.

I have to force quite through task manager. 

I'm having fun with this game a lot, so I'm majorly annoyed at the moment.  I'm not sure what to do.  I tried repairing it on Origin launcher, changing my graphical settings...I'm lost.

Do you think it might have something to do with saves?  Older saves will sometimes work?  Well, the last time it happened, I had to restart with an earlier save...do you think it could be 'save bloat'?  

EA is useless as they don't seem to care about player concerns, as this is a big problem I have yet to fix myself.

Help please?

Hiya,

Have started a 2nd playthrough and 1/3 in and I haven't had that issue at all.

But cause older saves work sometimes, it makes me think of a kinda similar issue i had.

On Voeld only, while driving around, would have to get out of vehicle, wait for everyone to settle down, then manually save.

Then go onwards to next nearby objective.

Whereas the auto-saves for me would get corrupted, or saving while in vehicle so loading screen was long, and then just froze.

So only work around was saving manually before hand outside of any key action areas.

That always worked.

You might also want to try and update your video driver to another version?

Amazing sometimes what works from one version to the next.

If you want, PM me your save and I'll see if it also crashes on my end.  That should help narrow it down quickly for you.  Saves should be under "\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect Andromeda"

If it works on my end, then it's not the saves.  If it crashes on my end, it's the save.

1 hour ago, Mashi said:

If you want, PM me your save and I'll see if it also crashes on my end.  That should help narrow it down quickly for you.  Saves should be under "\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect Andromeda"

If it works on my end, then it's not the saves.  If it crashes on my end, it's the save.

Thank you. :smile: 

@gregathit.   I don't meet the min for 'best' graphics, but I have had pretty great fps at medium.  I've been playing the game just fine, I'm level 40 now, and am just at the moment seeing these damned black screens.

I think something in my settings changed, I'm just not sure what.  I also kind of think about save bloat in Skyrim.  I've been relying on a few auto saves at boss battle/hard areas, so I'm wondering if I fucked up and picked far too many of them.

Now it's black screen-pissing me off just driving the vehicle too fast into some enemies.

I have to play super low settings to get through some loading spots, but even then it's unsteady.  

Before I was getting 40-50 fps on medium, and playing pretty quickly with my settings not hitching.

I have a GTX 860m, Asus Republic of Gamers.    I can play Skyrim with +200 mods.  

I love this game, I'm so bummed out about all this. :confused:  I've literally spent all night til around 3 am playing it straight for the past week.  It was a gift.  

Career31689e19-0ManualSave

1 hour ago, Awkward Nymph said:

Thank you. :smile: 

No problem.  I was able to load up your save go all over the place and so on without any issues.  I also made a couple of saves for you to try, one is just after activating that last monolith you were at, the second is back on the tempest after going back to the rover, and heading back up the slope.  Maybe one of the two of them will let you keep going.

I did notice that the game is *very* different from the 1.0 release I played long, long ago, might have to give it another playthrough after all those patches.  Couple of things I can think of causing those crashes.  First is, your HDD might have a bad sector.  The "repair" sees the crc as correct, but it can't read the file regardless, so you get stuck in a loop.  The other is you've got either bad ram or bad vram.  Either one can cause it to hang like that. Couple of things you can try as well.

There's the MEA fix, similar to the FO/Skyrim fix packs: https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffectandromeda/mods/541

And there's the "shorten cinematic" https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffectandromeda/mods/467

These may or maynot help at all.

Anyway best of luck and here's the saves.  Also two automatic saves.  Best of luck.

Career31689e19-3ManualSave

Career31689e19-2ManualSave

Career31689e19-6AutoSave

Career31689e19-Mission

4 hours ago, Mashi said:

No problem.  I was able to load up your save go all over the place and so on without any issues.  I also made a couple of saves for you to try, one is just after activating that last monolith you were at, the second is back on the tempest after going back to the rover, and heading back up the slope.  Maybe one of the two of them will let you keep going.

I did notice that the game is *very* different from the 1.0 release I played long, long ago, might have to give it another playthrough after all those patches.  Couple of things I can think of causing those crashes.  First is, your HDD might have a bad sector.  The "repair" sees the crc as correct, but it can't read the file regardless, so you get stuck in a loop.  The other is you've got either bad ram or bad vram.  Either one can cause it to hang like that. Couple of things you can try as well.

There's the MEA fix, similar to the FO/Skyrim fix packs: https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffectandromeda/mods/541

And there's the "shorten cinematic" https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffectandromeda/mods/467

These may or maynot help at all.

Anyway best of luck and here's the saves.  Also two automatic saves.  Best of luck.

Career31689e19-3ManualSave

Career31689e19-2ManualSave

Career31689e19-6AutoSave

Career31689e19-Mission

:smile: The save I loaded was the successful one I managed after redoing a save for a while.  I was originally stranded on Harvarl.

I'm currently seeing if my dual core dll fix is going to work or if I need to recheck my graphics again.  It's like there's just one hole in everything, but it's just figuring out where it is.  I'm suspecting differing graphics settings.  I have different programs that like to try and manage games.  I think one wants to run it in windows, the others in full screen.  A few times I've loaded a zoomed-in half screen where I believe a 'criss-crossing' has happened when trying to use settings on two different areas with graphic card manager and game settings.

Too bad they didn't release the game with the patch already in it.  It really is a fun game...just has it's quirks. A few buggy problems.  Lol, I went to a bar actually and drunk with my nose and in another incident I had an invisible whiskey.  Whoop...

I'll check out those saves, thank you.  

^^

Yeah, see that's the problem; there's no one that awesome in AndDramaDuh (though Drack and Vetra are kind of close... kind of), and there's definitely no scenario that awesome in AndDramaDuh. ALSO WERE YOU PRESIDENT ON YOUR FIRST TRY?!!!!

1 hour ago, 27X said:

Yeah, see that's the problem; there's no one that awesome in AndDramaDuh (though Drack and Vetra are kind of close... kind of), and there's definitely no scenario that awesome in AndDramaDuh. ALSO WERE YOU PRESIDENT ON YOUR FIRST TRY?!!!!

K, so Sarah Ryder isn't badass.  Did cringe when i heard they were going for "really young" characters coming of age.

Miss FemShep like incredibly, and i was pissed.

But Sarah has something sweet yet tough enough, and i like her VA, so that for some of us, it was worthwhile.  She's someone I'd hang with in real life.  Scott? no idea.

And put her together with Drack, Vetra and ya i like crazy Peebee and smart Suvi and Cora has some moments though she's a bit too straightlaced.

And some of the battle playing as Vanguard was intense enough that was worth a 2nd playthrough.

As for that "dude", have tons to say about that thing from Mordor and why he got in, but I'll just say that's a whole other discussion that will likely get us warnings or a ban.

FIXED.  

AND beat the game.  Whoop...now not sure what to do with myself...I guess I'll try modding Skyrim again.  :tongue:

Turns out I needed a dualcore.dll fix  ++   a stupid clothing mod was causing a lot of problems for me.  Turns out I should not be lazy and actually read comments about mods before using them.  Oh well.  Just glad I can play without a hitch now. 

Hopefully in the next game everyone is bangable.  Every single alien.  I can dream.  :smiley: 

Thanks guys! 

Archived