[Edit 2018-01-08: Updated to Beta 4]

This mod is currently in Beta. I have not found any breaking errors in my testing. I am looking for feedback, especially:

• does it work?
  • are there any bugs?
  • how is the balance, especially for the surrender part (too many/not enough surrenders)?
  • any obvious improvements or features that I missed?

Holdup is my take on a mod to improve the pacify/surrender mechanism of Fallout 4. The design goals for this mod are:

• it should feel like a balanced and natural part of the game
  • it should be as compatible as possible with other mods
  • players should be able to disable individual features if they don't like them, or if they are incompatible with other mods they are using

This mod consists of multiple features that can individually be enabled and disabled if you have Mod Configuration Menu installed. If you don't have MCM, the default settings will be used instead (all features/options enabled).

The following features are currently implemented:

• Pacify (player must have the Intimidation perk):
    Implements changes to the Pacify action. It will now work on NPCs of any level. Chance is improved when player is in power armor and when NPCs are caught sleeping; chance is reduced when NPCs are in power armor.
    Additional options that can be enabled/disabled in MCM:
    • Ignore player sheathing weapon to allow hacking terminals etc.
    • Use special Holdup action when catching NPCs by surprise from close distance. The chance of success is greatly improved in this situation.
  • Surrender:
    Allows NPCs to surrender if a fight goes poorly for them (they are wounded or even crippled, or you defeated their allies). Civilians may surrender rather quickly. More confident NPCs will still fight to their death, unless you impress them by defeating many of their allies. NPCs who surrender are cowed and will stay peaceful even if you put away your weapon (so you can for example hack a terminal in the same room). This feature does not require the player to have the Intimidation perk.
  • Rob:
    Allows the player to rob NPCs who have been pacified, held up, or who have surrendered. This is done by activating them while crouching. This replaces the pickpocket action.
    Additional options that can be enabled/disabled in MCM:
    • Allow to undress NPCs when robbing them such that the outfit can be taken, too. Undressing will ignore devious devices.
  • Tie Up (new in Beta 4):
    Allows the player to tie up NPCs who have been pacified, held up, or who have surrendered.

Requirements:

Installation:
Just install with any mod manager. If installing manually, copy everything from the Data folder to Fallout 4's Data folder. Mod Organizer 2 users: Make sure to use one of the new builds (2.1.0 +) as the MCM will not work with the old builds (2.0.x).

License:

CC0 1.0 - basically you can do whatever you want with this mod and the sources (script sources are included and installed), including the very primitive fomod installer. A copy of the license is included in the archive but not installed with the mod.

Dowload:

Holdup 1.0 Beta 4.zip
(previous version: Holdup 1.0 Beta 3.zip)

Some random screenshots:

pacify.jpg

holdup.jpg

surrendered.jpg

rob.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is a cool mod and I like its simplicity.  However, the surrendered raiders make it impossible to solve quests or win defend situations.  Most of the raiders in the Combat Zone surrendered to me but I was forced to kill them in order to continue and recruit Cait.  Then, defending Greygarden, three surrendered raiders kept me from successfully defending the settlement and clearing the mission.

I have no idea if this is fixable since modding is so far beyond me it isn't even funny.  But I hope something can be done because this mod is much more user friendly than some of the other "capture" mods out there.  Plus, I like it how the raiders have their own voicing after surrendering. 

Yeah... a lot of the quests in the game require you to kill enemies - other examples are the raiders inside the museum of freedom (the door to Preston and the settlers will not open if they are still alive) or the scene outside the museum with raiders and deathclaw. There is no way to finish the quests when targets NPCs are pacified, other than killing them. This is a limitation of how these quests were made by Bethesda, it also happens with the unmodded pacify action.

I am scratching my head about how to solve that at the moment... I don't want to edit all these quests, that is a lot of work and a lot of potential mod conflicts. Killing and resurrecting them would work, but it is hard to do that seamlessly. Other capture modes (e.g. F4SS and Abduction) have options to work with kill/resurrect, but can causes other bugs (inventory resetting, appearence changing, additional corpses appearing).

Btw, you can combine this with another capture mod for these cases. One of the use cases for this mod is fighting with this mod and then examining the surrendered enemies and using one of the other mods to permanently capture them.

Use special Holdup action when catching NPCs by surprise from close distance.

In other words, the NPC must not see you (usually this means you are sneaking) and you must be somewhat closer than the minimum distance for Pacify. Also you need to have the Intimidation perk.

Try testing it with some friendlies, e.g. go to the Abernathy farm and sneak up to one of them at night. If it does still not work you may have found a bug; please post more details to help me find the issue. E.g. do you get the Pacify option instead, or nothing at all? Are you using MCM (and have enabled the option) or are you not using MCM (should be on by default)? Do you have other mods that modify Pacify?

[Edit] Also make sure you are using the newest version.

• 2 weeks later...

Kharos, I'd just like to thank you for commenting your code so well, and providing the source at all. I've been thinking about how to tie up a prisoner for quite a while, but none of the other mods that had this feature provided source, and/or were abandoned with the author gone. As it happens I was on the right track in my thinking (having to spawn an invisible furniture item) but it's good to get conformation, should save me a lot of time when the time comes. Thanks.

On 1/29/2018 at 12:02 AM, Tentacus said:

Kharos, I'd just like to thank you for commenting your code so well, and providing the source at all. I've been thinking about how to tie up a prisoner for quite a while, but none of the other mods that had this feature provided source, and/or were abandoned with the author gone. As it happens I was on the right track in my thinking (having to spawn an invisible furniture item) but it's good to get conformation, should save me a lot of time when the time comes. Thanks.

You are welcome Tentacus. I am doing this as a hobby, and I like to provide the sources for others who want to try their hand.

While I am an experienced programmer, I am by no means an expert for Fallout 4 scripting, and there may be other ways to tie up prisoners (for example by using an idle animation). The invisible furniture works pretty well for me, though the edge cases make the code more complicated than I like. If you find a better way to handle it, please tell me :).

• 1 month later...

Firstly: Really cool/neat bit of scripting here.

But is it possible for you to direct me to where I might change the chance that NPCs will surrender on their own? I like seeing it happen occasionally, but it gets wierd when I kill three triggermen and four or five promptly surrender off that. I'd just like to tone it down a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...

You can tinker with the constants that configure surrender. You will need the creation kit, though.

Surrender is basically handled by two values:

- morale is a measure of the fighting spirit of an enemy - influenced by confidence, health, and presence (or lack of) crippled limbs

- dread is a measure of how fearsome you are - dread goes up when you defeat enemies, and decays over time naturally

Seeing group surrenders is part of the system. If you kill many enemies in a very short time, your dread goes way up and the surviving enemies will surrender. There is some logic to that: They just have seen how you single-handedly killed half of their group after all.

Anyway, the constants are mostly set up in Settings.psc. Take a look at Function RestoreDefaultSettings:

; Dread
    PlayerKillsEnemy            =   50.0
    PlayerTeammateKillsEnemy    =   50.0
    EnemyDies                   =   40.0
    EnemyUnconscious            =   30.0
    EnemyBleedout               =   30.0
    EnemySurrender              =   15.0
    DreadBonusPowerArmor        =   40.0

These configure how much dread you gain when something happens. Reducing them will make you gain dread slower, so enemies should surrender less often unless they are very badly wounded.

DreadHalfLifeSeconds        =   30.0

Setting this to a lower value will cause your dread to decay faster; depending on your style of play it could also reduce surrenders.

Loading the game should apply the modified settings. If you manage to find better settings for you way of playing, please tell me. The current settings are what I guessed would be good, getting feedback about them is something I wanted to achieve with the beta.

[Edit]

I should probably give you some pointers about how to change the script with the creatiion kit:

- start creation kit and open Holdup.esp (set it as the active file)

- in the object window, enter Holdup_ in the filter text field

- double-click Holdup_MainQuest

- go to the Scripts tab

- Edit Holdup:Settings using the context menu and make some changes

- Save the script, creation kit should automatically compile it

- You can start the game and test the modified settings without closing creation kit

• 3 months later...

Mod is great, goes really nice with raider themed playthrough but my main gripe is that you cant actually DO anything with those captured people... 

Is there some mod that adds slave collars that will allow me to enslave them and force to work ?

I have Torture Devices, Community Restraints Pack and Devious Devices mods - will they allow me to actually use surendering enemies for something other than melee kill to conserve amunition ? 

I could technically use Magna Cum Gaudio extended dialogue option to enslave them but i dont have lvl 3 intimidation perk yet..

4 hours ago, Canaris said:

Mod is great, goes really nice with raider themed playthrough but my main gripe is that you cant actually DO anything with those captured people... 

Is there some mod that adds slave collars that will allow me to enslave them and force to work ?

I have Torture Devices, Community Restraints Pack and Devious Devices mods - will they allow me to actually use surendering enemies for something other than melee kill to conserve amunition ? 

I could technically use Magna Cum Gaudio extended dialogue option to enslave them but i dont have lvl 3 intimidation perk yet..

check out Just Business here on LL.

On 7/8/2018 at 10:56 PM, Badtanker said:

check out Just Business here on LL.

I would rather not install new mods on an ongoing playthrough and i would have to install two additional mods to get JB to work ( input menu and EDI ). That plus Just Business would put me over the plugin limit.

And from what i see Magna Cum Gaudio does the almost exact thing so its kinda pointless to risk some conflicts. 

What i would rather see is some explosives collar or something like that that you can slap on a captured guy and make him into a slave. 

Is there any option like that in DD/CRP or Torture Devices ? 

EDIT : taking lvl of the Intimidation perk seems to have broken this mod as i no longer can tie up people who surrendered... Incite option works without a problem tho. 

• 6 months later...

So, I have not poked too far into the replies, but I have noticed that Gen 1 and 2 synths are affected by this. I cannot remember if they are able to be pacified in the vanilla game (seems dumb that you can pacify a machine) but it would be interesting to know if this is intentional, so as to not need to report it.

On 12/31/2017 at 10:30 AM, Kharos said:

License:

CC0 1.0 - basically you can do whatever you want with this mod and the sources (script sources are included and installed), including the very primitive fomod installer. A copy of the license is included in the archive but not installed with the mod.

Bravo on this. Bra-Effen-Vo. 

We need more folks releasing stuff with source. Not just cause it's cool to do. But because it helps foster new mods and development. WTG! 

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Ferpman said:

So, I have not poked too far into the replies, but I have noticed that Gen 1 and 2 synths are affected by this. I cannot remember if they are able to be pacified in the vanilla game (seems dumb that you can pacify a machine) but it would be interesting to know if this is intentional, so as to not need to report it.

No, that is not intentional. Gen 3 synths should surrender as they count as 'human'; Gen 1 and Gen 2 count as 'robot' and should not surrender. 

Dang, I just re-read my scripts and checked keywords on races, and it turns out that Gen 2 synths are affected. I still don't see how it can affect Gen 1 synths, if you can reproduce that please give me more details. I think the vanilla Intimidation perk also affects Gen 2 synths (at least it looks like that from the conditions), but I agree that it is silly.

On 1/11/2019 at 2:53 PM, Kharos said:

No, that is not intentional. Gen 3 synths should surrender as they count as 'human'; Gen 1 and Gen 2 count as 'robot' and should not surrender. 

Dang, I just re-read my scripts and checked keywords on races, and it turns out that Gen 2 synths are affected. I still don't see how it can affect Gen 1 synths, if you can reproduce that please give me more details. I think the vanilla Intimidation perk also affects Gen 2 synths (at least it looks like that from the conditions), but I agree that it is silly.

Here, made a little video to show my findings, cant put it into the post, 'cause it's a little more than the 100MB maximum. Google drive is silly, so the video is on Youtube. Sorry for any inconveniences with it being there. 

(Edit!) Forgot that YT links are kind of a no-no, so putting the drive link instead. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DOMoHMlbYJQO8nSFOrWuZCfBhhUTdaZU Video player with Drive probably won't work, and I don't blame you if you don't want to bother with a download for the video. Bleh.

Youtube one wont go away unfortunately.

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2019 at 9:57 AM, ssddsquare said:

Does it works with AAF?

I am not aware of any reason why it should not.

Note that I am not currently working on this mod. It kind of works, but not as well as I hoped it would, and I currently don't see a way to improve it without a large rewrite.

• 1 month later...