[mod] [Stellaris] Sexual gameplay

8 hours ago, nonameforme said:

Can anybody explain to me how pop growth is calculated here?

I want to know why this pop growth is only 0.57 with all of these modifiers bonus? The hive pop growth is 3.69 with almost identical modifiers.

Note: I mod brood mother pop growth a bit, but nothing else.

Note2: Before you ask, I use "expand hive mind" mod to enable hivemind and normal pop to co-exist. Similar to how robot servant and orgainic pop work.

screen.png

Yea I dunno haha, as far as I can tell, if a certain pop is the minority on a planet their pop growth will be much smaller and that has nothing to do with my mod.

On 7/12/2018 at 2:54 PM, Reprobate1245 said:

Dear theman221

Great work!

I personally felt the slavery feature of Stellaris to be insufficiently developed.

Your mod has made slavery more interesting for role playing.

However, I'd like you to clarify one point.

When this mod says that that interbreeding eventually out breeding xeno male/females, is that reflected on the POP portraits?

No unfortunately that isn't reflected in the traits, I will try and look into this in the future but at the moment it seems that it may be quite a difficult task, so the only way is to download all male/female portrait mods atm.

52 minutes ago, theman221 said:

Yea I dunno haha, as far as I can tell, if a certain pop is the minority on a planet their pop growth will be much smaller and that has nothing to do with my mod.

I did some calculation and testing, I guess that the grow value is also effected by species ratio (hidden value? that deduce from base grow before any modifier is applied).

2 hours ago, theman221 said:

Question 3: The intercompatible traits do effect leader genders, not their portraits tho, thats too hard for me to figure out sorry. And maybe the fact you have the asari mods is whats preventing my mods scripts from changing the genders of the leaders.

This is entirely due to species portraits. If a portrait set is set up to only have male, only have female, or has both male and female like vanilla then they will stay like that regardless of whether the populations are all flagged with all-male or all-female traits. I don't really think there's a way to rig them to do that if those traits are present on a species either, and even if there was you'd probably have to make those changes to every portrait set, vanilla or modded, in your game for it to affect all of them.

2 hours ago, theman221 said:

Yeah, this is a vanilla function I believe. A species on a planet with 8 pops is going to grow faster than a species with 2 pops because it's like comparing a population of 8bn with one of 2bn. More total individuals making babies means more babies for that population compared to the smaller one in the same time frame.

---

On an unrelated note: I've been trying to rig up some alternatively themed versions of the interbreeding traits to follow some ideas I had that your mod doesn't cover, but I can't seem to get anything I try to work. Granted my knowledge of eventing is kind of crap to be honest.

Wanted to do something with a gender-neutral version where a species grew normally, but if another species with the same trait was present they grew quicker while other species without the trait grew a little slower. And then there were two traits with different other functions that would make a species completely incompatible with the initial trait.

I also wanted a hive-mind version of the incubator trait where they would have a secondary species that was broken and part of the hive, and any non-hive species would have a chance to fall under their sway if they weren't purged by vanilla mechanics first.

I also had one for machine empires with organic pops that would pair off traits with some synergy as well.

Basically the idea was to make versions of the interbreeder traits that could safely be distributed among AI controlled empires without crippling them, but I couldn't figure out a way to get the events to work.

5 hours ago, theman221 said:

Sorry I know theres quite a bit of text in the description but, I've outlined there and in the description of the trait itself, perfect interscpecial incubators are all female and can breed with all other species. With this trait all your leaders will be female and you can breed with other species. The all male and all female trait are attached to events and from a gameplay perspective theres no reason to choose them at the start of the game unless you want to for what ever reason ofc.

just wanted to tell you that you can infact play as an all female race and be able to breed without having to edit the mod.

I just wanted to play a species that only spawns female leaders without having to use trait points or take Syncretic Evolution (I had to buy Utopia for this). Editing out the growth malus works out fine for me in the end.

If, like you said, there's no reason to take all_female or all_male, then why not put 

initial = no

into both traits? That way there would be no confusion during empire creation. Additionally, adding in something like Patriarchy or Matriarchy (traits that work the same as all_female/all_male but without the pop growth malus) would solve the mod editing problems. Empires keep males/females for breeding, but only a specific gender can become leaders.

4 hours ago, Raana said:

This is entirely due to species portraits. If a portrait set is set up to only have male, only have female, or has both male and female like vanilla then they will stay like that regardless of whether the populations are all flagged with all-male or all-female traits. I don't really think there's a way to rig them to do that if those traits are present on a species either, and even if there was you'd probably have to make those changes to every portrait set, vanilla or modded, in your game for it to affect all of them.

Yeah, this is a vanilla function I believe. A species on a planet with 8 pops is going to grow faster than a species with 2 pops because it's like comparing a population of 8bn with one of 2bn. More total individuals making babies means more babies for that population compared to the smaller one in the same time frame.

---

On an unrelated note: I've been trying to rig up some alternatively themed versions of the interbreeding traits to follow some ideas I had that your mod doesn't cover, but I can't seem to get anything I try to work. Granted my knowledge of eventing is kind of crap to be honest.

Wanted to do something with a gender-neutral version where a species grew normally, but if another species with the same trait was present they grew quicker while other species without the trait grew a little slower. And then there were two traits with different other functions that would make a species completely incompatible with the initial trait.

I also wanted a hive-mind version of the incubator trait where they would have a secondary species that was broken and part of the hive, and any non-hive species would have a chance to fall under their sway if they weren't purged by vanilla mechanics first.

I also had one for machine empires with organic pops that would pair off traits with some synergy as well.

Basically the idea was to make versions of the interbreeder traits that could safely be distributed among AI controlled empires without crippling them, but I couldn't figure out a way to get the events to work.

Ah sounds like a good idea, maybe you can send me some of the code you've worked on so far and I can check whats going wrong :) I think you wouldn't need to change too much of the code to get it to work. I think for that idea the best trait to use as a base would be the inter-compatible sperm trait events since the perfect interscpecial incubator trait has allot of extra components (because its my fav trait and I gave it a little extra love over the other traits).

1 hour ago, lockeslylcrit said:

I just wanted to play a species that only spawns female leaders without having to use trait points or take Syncretic Evolution (I had to buy Utopia for this). Editing out the growth malus works out fine for me in the end.

If, like you said, there's no reason to take all_female or all_male, then why not put 

initial = no

into both traits? That way there would be no confusion during empire creation. Additionally, adding in something like Patriarchy or Matriarchy (traits that work the same as all_female/all_male but without the pop growth malus) would solve the mod editing problems. Empires keep males/females for breeding, but only a specific gender can become leaders.

Ah, for gendered leaders using MSSA would be good since it has an edict to change the leaders gender. I didn't add it to my mod since its already in MSSA.

As for leaving the all female and all male traits I leave them as an option for role playing purposes. Plus if you're an all male species you can still breed with pops who have the perfect interspecial incubator trait.

35 minutes ago, theman221 said:

Ah, for gendered leaders using MSSA would be good since it has an edict to change the leaders gender. I didn't add it to my mod since its already in MSSA.

As for leaving the all female and all male traits I leave them as an option for role playing purposes. Plus if you're an all male species you can still breed with pops who have the perfect interspecial incubator trait.

Doesn't really seem that great as a roleplaying starting trait if your species is destined to die out. Also, why cant All Females breed with those with Intercompatible Sperm but the All Males can with those that have Perfect Interspecial Incubator? Another issue I have is that All Female's description contradicts itself. The flavor text says they can breed with Intercompatible Sperm, but the modifier text says they no longer propagate.

(also, interbreeder_intercompatible_sperm.14n.tooltip is missing localization)

3 hours ago, theman221 said:

Ah sounds like a good idea, maybe you can send me some of the code you've worked on so far and I can check whats going wrong :) I think you wouldn't need to change too much of the code to get it to work. I think for that idea the best trait to use as a base would be the inter-compatible sperm trait events since the perfect interscpecial incubator trait has allot of extra components (because its my fav trait and I gave it a little extra love over the other traits).

I'm actually retrying from scratch with the Brood Parasite event as a base since I had an easier time figuring out what was what. Just need to test it out at this point and see if I broke something or not.

Basically what I'm trying to go for though is to have a gender-neutral, bio-compatible trait that is safe for random empires. Normal growth speed if alone, but other species will increase its growth (with differing flavor text if they're also bio-compatible or not), while non bio-compatible species will suffer a slight penalty to growth speed to simulate the difficulty of procreating when only one species has a flexible biology. Plus there's going to be happiness modifiers and fluff text for xenophile and xenophobe species with variants for if they're also bio-compatible or not.

The exceptions being Impotent and Barren species which can't produce offspring with bio-compatible species at all (the latter requiring synthetic help via civics).

If that event works then I plan to expand upon it with an incubation reproducer that's safe for random empires. With half growth speed without incubators, normal growth speed with incubators, and boosted growth speed with bio-compatible incubators. Plus, as an awesome bonus I wan to make a Hive Mind civic that gives a hive mind primary species a mind-broken, incubator secondary species (like syncretic evolution), and I'm hoping I can make it so that they have a chance to convert non-hive pops to hive incubator pops when you occupy their planets.

Edit: Huzzah! It worked!

2 hours ago, lockeslylcrit said:

Doesn't really seem that great as a roleplaying starting trait if your species is destined to die out. Also, why cant All Females breed with those with Intercompatible Sperm but the All Males can with those that have Perfect Interspecial Incubator? Another issue I have is that All Female's description contradicts itself. The flavor text says they can breed with Intercompatible Sperm, but the modifier text says they no longer propagate.

(also, interbreeder_intercompatible_sperm.14n.tooltip is missing localization)

The description of the intercompatible sperm trait states that females who breed with this species only give birth to males of their own species hence the females can no longer give birth to their own young.

In the description of perfect interspecial incubator it states that the females give birth to females of their own species and males of the father species hence all male species can propogate 

2 hours ago, Raana said:

I'm actually retrying from scratch with the Brood Parasite event as a base since I had an easier time figuring out what was what. Just need to test it out at this point and see if I broke something or not.

Basically what I'm trying to go for though is to have a gender-neutral, bio-compatible trait that is safe for random empires. Normal growth speed if alone, but other species will increase its growth (with differing flavor text if they're also bio-compatible or not), while non bio-compatible species will suffer a slight penalty to growth speed to simulate the difficulty of procreating when only one species has a flexible biology. Plus there's going to be happiness modifiers and fluff text for xenophile and xenophobe species with variants for if they're also bio-compatible or not.

The exceptions being Impotent and Barren species which can't produce offspring with bio-compatible species at all (the latter requiring synthetic help via civics).

If that event works then I plan to expand upon it with an incubation reproducer that's safe for random empires. With half growth speed without incubators, normal growth speed with incubators, and boosted growth speed with bio-compatible incubators. Plus, as an awesome bonus I wan to make a Hive Mind civic that gives a hive mind primary species a mind-broken, incubator secondary species (like syncretic evolution), and I'm hoping I can make it so that they have a chance to convert non-hive pops to hive incubator pops when you occupy their planets.

Edit: Huzzah! It worked!

Great to hear it works :) looking forward to what you'll make

14 minutes ago, theman221 said:

Great to hear it works :) looking forward to what you'll make

The only thing I can think of to tweak this is to make it so that a species doesn't get the bonus with itself (since it's at it's natural growth rate), but I'm not really sure how to do that. That and I do want to inject something similar to the wildlife breeding your traits have, but with planetary modifiers instead so they're a bit more permanent (though that's more because I tend to clear all tile blockers, while still wanting a way to throw random events in).

But yeah, the notes I've been working on alongside the portraits I've been making has all started to develop into a sort of variant mod pack. Taking what I've liked about the current array of mods, but tweaking modifiers, adding new bonuses, and applying my own thematic twist to everything. Alongside what I hope will be a nice bit of synergy between everything.

Everything's got a special mod tag to it too though so it should readily work alongside everyone else's mods without stepping on any toes hopefully.

10 hours ago, Raana said:

I am using 'Extend HIve Mind' and its submod to playing a psudo-Alien-breeding-hivemind. The mod has 'protector of organic' and 'rancher' civic that make hivemind function similar to rouge servitor or slaver (organic pop no longer got auto purge).
Maybe you can look up how they make a special hivemind type.

I'd been looking at that one alongside Hive Assimilator to see what I could put together, but I hadn't gotten quite that far since I hadn't figured out the base trait event function yet.

Looking over both mods again I may actually expand on the variety of options beyond the basic 'hive screwing other species into submission.' Especially since hive minds don't really have many options right now.

So I remember in the last version i played, as my need to breed Perfect incubators, as soon as I got other species in my empire and keep them on their own private little worlds, I didn't have to worry as much about fucking to death my breeder population as long as I segregated them on their own worlds. (I liked this idea cause it gives me the idea that we're importing alien males to satisfy the massive glory hole installations on my worlds. Lots of entertainment value in that, imagine the locker room talk for all the alien males!)

HOWEVER. Now in 1.3.5 I can't breed AT ALL. My all female species fucked to death my codominant all male population again (Which didn't even replace the little bastards with MY little bastards), and now that I've conquered me some primitive fuck sticks, it STILL won't say that they got males for breeding purposes.

This is very perturbing. Can I not just import the males from the early space age race I conquered? This makes me sad as I imagine my human rabbits, desperately grinding against any vaguely dick like surface to try and get off. Even as my giant spider controller teams, and Assault army battle sisters enjoy the spoils of war of fresh males to fill their bodies. 

(EDIT): Oh and I used the "Preserve alien females" option to make double sure after I saw my all male codom species start getting wiped out. Didn't help :/

13 hours ago, Aled190 said:

So I remember in the last version i played, as my need to breed Perfect incubators, as soon as I got other species in my empire and keep them on their own private little worlds, I didn't have to worry as much about fucking to death my breeder population as long as I segregated them on their own worlds. (I liked this idea cause it gives me the idea that we're importing alien males to satisfy the massive glory hole installations on my worlds. Lots of entertainment value in that, imagine the locker room talk for all the alien males!)

HOWEVER. Now in 1.3.5 I can't breed AT ALL. My all female species fucked to death my codominant all male population again (Which didn't even replace the little bastards with MY little bastards), and now that I've conquered me some primitive fuck sticks, it STILL won't say that they got males for breeding purposes.

This is very perturbing. Can I not just import the males from the early space age race I conquered? This makes me sad as I imagine my human rabbits, desperately grinding against any vaguely dick like surface to try and get off. Even as my giant spider controller teams, and Assault army battle sisters enjoy the spoils of war of fresh males to fill their bodies. 

(EDIT): Oh and I used the "Preserve alien females" option to make double sure after I saw my all male codom species start getting wiped out. Didn't help :/

You probably didn't install the addon when you were using the last version since the feature to fuck species to death is only enabled when you have the addon installed. If you remove the addon you can keep the need to breed trait but have it so that no speceis gets fucked to death :)

10 hours ago, theman221 said:

You probably didn't install the addon when you were using the last version since the feature to fuck species to death is only enabled when you have the addon installed. If you remove the addon you can keep the need to breed trait but have it so that no speceis gets fucked to death :)

That a shame since I found the Fucked to death ability is pretty useful for hiveminds since their pops die out anyways. 

And for the last version i played I did fuck my codominant species to death as well. Its just I didn't have to worry about that as much since when i conquered some primitives it meant i could still breed since they were still in my empire, just not on teh same planet.

2 hours ago, Aled190 said:

That a shame since I found the Fucked to death ability is pretty useful for hiveminds since their pops die out anyways. 

And for the last version i played I did fuck my codominant species to death as well. Its just I didn't have to worry about that as much since when i conquered some primitives it meant i could still breed since they were still in my empire, just not on teh same planet.

If you were using an interbreeder trait in the last version they should not be able to breed if there was no other species on the same planet. Either it was a bug or while you played on the last version you didn't have an interbreeder trait activated.

1 hour ago, DrMojoDoc said:

@theman221

Now that new overhaul for the planet screen, and the Pop screen as well, is coming, do you think the possible implementation for "male/female only Pop" portrait will be less taxing in terms of performance? 

I don't even know what this new system will entail, I don't like what they're showing so far because it seems like there aren't individual pops anymore but just a spreadsheet of data. Really looks like absolute garbage. It's very likely all the interbreeder traits will become obselete.