[DOA5LR] TEXTURES : Tutorial & Guide - How to use and understand them

[TUTORIAL & GUIDE] TEXTURES : How to use and understand them.

This thread is under construction.

Using textures in DOA5LR can be very powerful.

When I started to mod DOA5LR 2 years ago I had no idea what is the meaning of a specular or a normal map but I was able to find some trick without even understanding why until I finally get the knowledge and investigate more in that.

This guide can look easy for some but not everyone have the same skill in modding so I hope this tutorial will help as much beginner than expert.

UNDERSTANDING TEXTURES NAMES :

Let's talk about the textures name first.

There are 4 primary type of textures that can be used in DOA5LR :

DIFFUSE : Main texture.

NORMAL MAP : Relief texture.

SPECULAR : Reflection texture.

ENVIRONNEMENT : Another reflection texture.

>> DEPENDING OF THE CHARACTERS THE .TMCL FILE CAN HOLD BETWEEN 6 TO 14Mb (Mai is the character with the minimum and Raidou is the one with maximum).

>> If you exceed this size limit you will have to reduce some textures size, I recommend you to priviligie reducing Specular first then Environnement and after Normal Map / Diffuse.

You will need TEXTURE TOOL to swap your textures on a mod and OBJECT TOOL to adjust textures orders and settings.

On this guide I will use my WARRIORTENGU mod as example.

izzt.jpg

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE TO UNDERSTAND TEXTURES NAMES WITH PICTURES :

u56w.jpg1hec.png

My WARRIORTENGU mod is using DIFFUSE / NORMAL MAP / ENVIRONNEMENT.

She's not using any Specular.

64mr.jpg

Now let's go deeper and see what happen if I turn the SPECULAR into a saturated GREEN version and add this texture to my mod in surplus with others :

44bn.jpg

k9va.png

As you can notice, the reflection over the armor turned into a light green but isn't as saturated as the specular.

More the specular is bright and saturated and more your reflection will be impacting in game.

Turn it into a black specular and you'll have a dark / mate result without any reflection.

Now let's try to turn the DIFFUSE using alpha channel with NORMAL MAP & ENVIRONNEMENT :

zvy5.jpg

qisy.png

The armor now turned into a transparent armor.

More your alpha channel is strong and more you will get a high transparency.

Be sure to have a full body under your costume if you use alpha channel or you'll let appear the hole behind as this example (no arms under the armor but legs yes).

To use Alpha Channel you MUST save your picture as DXT5 format.

This kind of transparency require specific parameter to change via Object Tool.

Please refere to my other Tutorial Guide about Object Tool for that : https://www.loverslab.com/topic/81454-doa5lr-object-tool-tutorial-guide-how-to-use-and-understand-it/

As last example let's see what happen if I remove ENVIRONEMENT and put a black SPECULAR :

ze03.jpg

The armor is now with absolutely NO reflection at all.

The fact that the specular is black and without any environnement make the object "empty" of lights.

----

You can try a lot of experiments just with textures.

Remember to ALWAYS save your textures as .dds format, the only format that DOA5LR accept.

Remember to ALWAYS save your texture with Alpha Channel as DXT5 option.

Remember to ALWAYS save your flat texture that don't include any Alpha Channel as DXT1 (you can save it as DXT5 anyway but you'll save texture weight and TMCL space).

More to add later.

Feel free to bring more of your knowledge to increase this tutorial and help others.

Lola.

Edited by LGMODS

wow such a nice topic.

Two links though never tried but might useful...

Online Normal Map Generator

http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/

Baking tool

http://www.handplane3d.com/index.html

Few DOA5LR oriented tips...

- TCML file must smaller than 12MB otherwise won't be loaded. When I need to reduce texture file size then reducing pixel size (like 1024 x 1024 to 512 x 512) then save DDS file using nVidia's DDS plugin(I am a Photoshoper but similar operation should be able to do with GIMP).

- Reducing size means reducing quality. My choice will be: Specular file > Environment file > Normal Map File then finally touch diffuse file.

Thanks again for great topic!

Well, that is a very handy tutorial you baked Lola for all texture newbies. You should post similar to DA but use safe pictures so it is available to all.

I mean this is a good guide not just for DOA game modding but great for Xnalara and Blender and all other 3D software since they all share basics of texturing.

I just have to add in XNA and Blender the PNG format with alpha channel is acceptable and is preferable.

@vladcepesh  This tutorial is more intented for DOA5LR since the engine let you make more than just adding textures.

Actually I'm a bit lazy to redo the tutorial with others screenshots and on Deviantart I can't simply add screenshots and text as I did here.

@priss10 DXT3 is another kind of Alpha Channel purpose but in my opinion I never use it neither recommend it since the Alpha Channel is much less soft than DXT5.

Your great topic motivates me to create detailed explanations about the dirt texture especially DOA5LR oriented tips...

I use Harry's Kasumi Real Nude Model and official's COS_002 as example. (I believe same thing can apply on HLODs/Night Gardian's/Osiri's)

- Typical Diffuse Texture:

tex1-compare.thumb.jpg.2d552da225840845cc77f5d2a3664e3a.jpg

The left is Tecmo's original skin texture and the right is Harry's skin texture. As you can see Harry's has obvious improvements. Yeah, the original has costume-specified modification like darker colors on hands/breasts but usually avoidable. You can replace or have to replace to shrink tcml file size(No other items use this texture).

- Typical Normal Texture:

tex2-compare.thumb.jpg.9424e86ed1137caedd6781ceb62a6ef4.jpg

Same story's on the Normal texture. Replace with Harry's for better details. Again, since no other items use original normal texture, better to remove for smaller file size.

I will skip specular texture because exact same situation(in case of COS_002 and Harry's).

Now, let's see the main suspect.

- Dirt Texture:

Tex4-compare.thumb.jpg.bb281485a7d2d5e8a2b2a50f1e3ed90c.jpg

The most of official costumes has only single dirt texture and used by all items. In this case, you can see the original dirt texture were highly optimized for COS_002. On the other hand, Harry's texture is necessary for his nude skin(Otherwise pretty bizarre result). Keep both textures for best quality if possible. You can change which mesh will use which texture by using TMC Object Tool. Good thing is each file occupies 128kb only.

(The great thing about Harry's texture is, if you replaced by his, it won't break new customized costume because he put ambiguous patterns so lesser impact for other items).

You may think "It's just dirt, nobody care." That is true since Harry's texture is more than acceptable for many situations and brighter stage like Zack Island fighters' dirt appears  only minimal. However, Tecmo put hidden Cherry Blossoms shaped dirt on COS_004. Is it nice to keep both her symbol AND Harry's great nude skin?

WS000240.thumb.jpg.973a47b8708ed2b26c251e780bec0215.jpg

WS000249.thumb.jpg.c65a08e5ba92930025430effde2a88c0.jpg

Hope this will help!

Edited by Otakadelic
corrected the word "Environment". Replaced by "Dirt".

Thanks for adding this extra infos!

Be careful with the word you use about the texture, here this is not environnement, the dirt map is used as and in specular slot.

As for normal map, if this is intended to be used in a Skin Slot (Object Tool), specially for body, it have to be saved with Nvidia plugin but I need to find back the exact setting.

If you save it as a normal DXT1 after made an edit on it you'll have seams on your body.

I'm rarely using dirt, for not say never, I usually replace it with another specular or a black square for body.

But obviously if you do the same as me then you'll never have dirst in game even when it should be activated.

The same can be applied for wet textures, if you duplicate the diffuse in the wet slot then you'll never have wet in game even when it should be activated.

I don't recommend to do it on skin slot.

• 2 months later...

*** update1:  Good news folks! I confirmed GIMP & DDS plugin is compatible DX9 based DOA5LR TCL/TMCL files. Hopefully detailed instruction will be added here within near future.

I can't stop adding another basic knowledge for DOA5LR modding. This time, how to open/save DDS files. (Sorry but the scope is Photoshop only but I hope someone will add about GIMP GIMP and DDS plugin is also capable for DOA5LR modding. will be added later).

DDS is image file format specifically designed/implemented for realtime 3D rendering applications just like DOA5LR.  Why they(nVidia and Microsoft?) create new image format even we already have hundreds or thousands image formats?  DDS has optimized texturing purpose only, lower CPU/GPU load from HDD to Display. 

How to install nVidia Texture Tools to your Photoshop CC201x

Photoshop can't handle DDS by default so you have to download / install following tool.

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop

But nVidia stopped this and did not update since 2012. If you have Photoshop CC, not CS then you have to move files to proper location.

I can't remember where this outdated setup.exe will spread DDS plugin files but correct destinations are:

Find "dds64.8bi" somewhere inside of your system drive. Then move to right destination:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Plug-ins\File Formats"

Find "NormalMapFilter64.8bf" somewhere inside of your system drive. Then move to right destination:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Plug-ins\Filters"

That's it! 

* Do not install "Intel's Texture Works Plugin for Photoshop". Those are for DX10+ and can't handle DX9 only DOA5LR DDS files correctly . Stay away from them(or install another version of Photoshop. I install nvidia plugin to CC2018 and Intel's TexWorks to CC2017.)

Opening DDS files:

Once DDS plugin by nVidia has settled down in proper location, then Photoshop automatically detect and can open now.

Saving DDS files:

Specular Map like this,

Spoiler

Tex_09.jpg.1b1bf52fd5418c60284790a783b36028.jpg

Should set parameters like this:

"DTX5 interpolated Alpha" and "2D Texture". Then no need to touch anything else. Press "Save".

WS000325.jpg.b70ba197fe245c50e5de11e88938785b.jpg

Diffuse Map like this,

Spoiler

Tex_06.jpg.4e3bf8882b930309cd77090a502f1fce.jpg

"DTX5 interpolated Alpha" and "2D Texture". Then no need to touch anything else. Press "Save".

(Exact same as Specular map)

WS000324.jpg.4d943fbb96e4bb3a3d20f4ce1adf92c2.jpg

Normal Map like this,

Spoiler

Tex_07.thumb.jpg.758b3b9838f7f0c235d5db4805b0e7d9.jpg

"DTX1 no alpha" and "Volume Texture". Then no need to touch anything else. Press "Save".

WS000326.jpg.5451ba082da74717511619796d24216c.jpg

Dirt Map(or Dirt Texture) like this,

Spoiler

Tex_08.jpg.de520606b5013448246c7abd0eb0c17d.jpg

"DTX1 no alpha" and "2D Texture". Then no need to touch anything else. Press "Save".

WS000327.jpg.0a5049b07bc9d57e97bda9d6715c0b9c.jpg

That's it! Four different textures with three different settings.

I will add how to open/save DDS files with GIMP within near future. 

13 minutes ago, 870905 said:

Many thanks to you for this information, very interesting. But the plug-in that I installed seems to be released later than in 2012:

DDS_Photoshop_Plugins_x64_8.55.0109.1800.exe

I understand that the chances are great that neither I nor the plugin will be here tomorrow, but on the other hand, what should I do here?

The plugin is legitimate!

I checked briefly and this is highly likely same plugins (with same version) which I downloaded/installed from nVidia homepage.

I visited nVidia page then I found following description:

"Bug Fixes
(01/10/2013)

Bug fix for using DDS plugin in Corel PaintShopPro."

They surly updated and released the most recent version AFTER 2012, but haven't update Release Notes from 2012.

Thx for your post, now I noticed they maintained this until 2013, at least.

And the answer is: Go a head and install it! That one is the most recent version we can get right now.

6 minutes ago, Otakadelic said:

I checked briefly and this is highly likely same plugins (with same version) which I downloaded/installed from nVidia homepage.

I visited nVidia page then I found following description:

"Bug Fixes
(01/10/2013)

Bug fix for using DDS plugin in Corel PaintShopPro."

They surly updated and released the most recent version AFTER 2012, but haven't update Release Notes from 2012.

Thx for your post, now I noticed they maintained this until 2013, at least.

And the answer is: Go a head and install it! That one is the most recent version we can get right now.

Great! Then I will remove my plug-in so as not to risk. :smile: 

25 minutes ago, Otakadelic said:

You can download from here.

https://code.google.com/archive/p/gimp-dds/downloads

The first one is the source code (you have to build binary file). What you need is probably the second link, gimp-dds-win64-3.0.1.zip.

Thank you so much!
Here is another program that should be able to work with DDS:

• 2 years later...

Latest NVidia Exporter dropped Volume Texture. It's supposedly an oversight due to be added back in.

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/nvidia-texture-tools-exporter-can-no-longer-author-volume-texture/124793

Here is v8.55 PS plugins>> https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-exporter

This Volume Texture setting .. I have been looking all over the net to figure out why I can't generate a dds Normal file that DOA likes. BC1 and BC1a aka DXT1 are in the latest (January 2020) but not that Volume Texture setting. If someone has the standalone version of 8.55 (if it exists), can you msg me?