[FIX] A pretty massive fix about HDT physics, stretching and characters going invisible.

Hi,

First of all, make sure you read my note at the end of the post. I have searched quite a lot for a fix about characters going invisible / stretching and fading in and out. People kept saying it's a VRAM issue and sh*t like that but i didn't believe it because it would happen even if i turned many heavy sh*t off.

My case: I had HDT armor replacers etc so on npcs loading some of them went invisible and would fade in and out with big stretching. I turned all my animation and script mods off and trying to reproduce the bug over and over i figured it was when too many hdt stuff was going on in an area (i guess?).

What fixed it for me (i even added more hdt stuff to my game and it works now): https://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/1473096694456654849/

I am not sure if this fixed was mentionned before or if it's a well known fix, all I know is that it took me a long time to find it and threads about it were mostly useless.

NOTE:

2 things to do:

- download the https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/77815/? you will see file is hidden but there's a link to the download on the page, read.

- read the thread i posted it's explained better there you'll see a big paragraph talking about what you have to modifiy in your xml file. Make sure you change the value to all the lines not just the first one (ctrl+f and find next untill all of them are 255)

This is what fixed it for me, i am hoping it'll fix it for you but i guess cases can differ so welp good luck.

You're about a year and change late to the party.

or as an alternative title, "never ask the nexus or reddit about HDT or SMP", because the people who know are on baidu or here.

Part of it actually is a VRAM issue so just because you "fixed it" by trial and error doesn't mean your fix is universal, quite the opposite.

Also that "steam page" is literally the archived fix posted here first.

Also you can do this:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/34345-breasts-stretch-really-far-then-said-npc-sometimes-goes-invisible/page-3?do=findComment&comment=1621615

I was having constant problems with characters disappearing after breast stretching but after I followed the instructions in the post I haven't had the problem since. Figured I would share here since it doesn't seem to be a well known fix.

Also you can do this:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/34345-breasts-stretch-really-far-then-said-npc-sometimes-goes-invisible/page-3?do=findComment&comment=1621615

I was having constant problems with characters disappearing after breast stretching but after I followed the instructions in the post I haven't had the problem since. Figured I would share here since it doesn't seem to be a well known fix.

I came across that fix quite a while after doing a lot of searching and it certainly seems to work well. Not had a problem since

• 1 year later...

I have an issue with physics enabled necklaces and hair stopping to work after loading the game.  I have 3 followers with HDT necklace (no HDT hair or wigs) and when I load the saved game the physics on the necklaces don't work.  I think it might be related to how many HDT objects there are as this was working fine for one follower with one necklace total before.

When I have it on 3 of them it worked before just fine, but when I loaded that save, none of the physics worked for the necklaces.  I thought this broke all HDT stuff, so I tried a mod with HDT wigs and those were also broken and no physics were applied.

I read about using a safety save to re-enable physics, so as a test, I just tried loading an earlier save as soon as I started Skyrim, where the physics was working for the necklaces, then I loaded the latest save with the 3 necklaces where the physics was broken and it worked and fixed the physics for all 3 necklaces.  After restarting Skyrim again and loading the save with 3 necklaces, the physics stopped again.  So After some testing it looks like i have to load the previous save first then the main save every time I start Skyrim.

Is there a way to fix this properly so I don't have to load multiple saves every time?

52 minutes ago, llvv11 said:

how many HDT objects

You need to do some pretty heavy reading, cause you're about five years out of date, and the reason your shit is breaking aside from not having a cache in the right place and not having correct xml values is you have fucked up havok objects permanently baked into your saves.

Probably want to start with the stickies.

20 minutes ago, 27X said:

You need to do some pretty heavy reading, cause you're about five years out of date, and the reason your shit is breaking aside from not having a cache in the right place and not having correct xml values is you have fucked up havok objects permanently baked into your saves.

Probably want to start with the stickies.

Thanks for the reply but that is very vague.  I have done a lot of reading on this stuff and there is so much conflicting and outright wrong information that it's hard to know what to follow.

What stickies are you talking about?

What cache are you talking about?

What xml values?

How do you fix the save with the bad data?

I don't use the havok object and never have I know that's out of date and not needed.

Like I said, I did a lot of reading already.  Also it sounds like sometimes the physics just break and you have to load a safety save (according to some posts) and they also say that Skyrim just loads physics data for the first save you load.

Just to be clear, the breast and butt bounce work fine, just HDT necklases and wigs are broken (I only use necklaces right now but likely all HDT armor, etc are broken).

Can you please provide more detailed instructions and explanations.

2 hours ago, shaidien said:

Have you tried cleaning your saved game ? What does your log say? 

What log?  I saw reference to a havok log or something similar but I don't have one of those.  What would I look for?  I tried looking at the EditorPapyrus.3.log type log files already but they are essentially all blank aside from one status line at the beginning, no errors or anything.

Clean my game with save game script cleaner (SaveTool.exe)?  I haven't tried that.  How do I clean it, just press one button, or do I need to look for certain scripts?

It should not matter if you just clean all scripts. How ever I do NOT believe that is your problem but rather something is not set right. The log files would be by default in skse plugins file along with others. You should have like 3 log files there if your set up like me lol maybe more. 1 for each of the hdt systems you run. High heals I think others put logs there to.

13 hours ago, shaidien said:

It should not matter if you just clean all scripts. How ever I do NOT believe that is your problem but rather something is not set right. The log files would be by default in skse plugins file along with others. You should have like 3 log files there if your set up like me lol maybe more. 1 for each of the hdt systems you run. High heals I think others put logs there to.

Not sure what logs you are talking about but in Skyrim\Logs\Script, i have 4 log files and they all only have one line in them and no errors as I mentioned before.

I did more testing and figured out that the Ichigo standalone follower is breaking the physics.  See below for more information.

In all cases to test, I did the following:

+equip the necklace on x number of followers (see below for more details)

+save the game

+exit Skyrim

+start Skyrim

+load the save created above

scenarios tested (all are done following the steps above):

1) equip the HDT necklace on 3 followers, 2 with CBBE bodies, 1 on Myra with a custom standalone body.  Physics worked after a load

2) equip the HDT necklace on 3 followers, 2 with CBBE bodies, 1 on Ichigo with a custom standalone body.  Physics did not work after a load

3) same as 1 but I loaded the save with the physics not working and removed the necklace from Ichigo and put it on Myra and saved the game again.  Physics worked after a load

This shows that the physics issue is not because there are too many HDT physics objects, it's also not because of followers with custom bodies as it works on Myra but not on Ichigo and it also works on two other followers with CBBE bodies.  It seems like there isn't anything corrupted in the save permanently with HDT physics because of scenario 3 above, but maybe it's possible something is corrupted only for that npc in the save?

Looking at the Ichigo follower in Tes5Edit and comparing it to the other followers it doesn't look like there is anything special about it that should break the physics.  The NPC and Race look very similar and nothing obvious about why it would not work on one vs the others.

Could this be some problem in the nif files or some other files in the Ichigo standalone follower mod?  What in a follower mod could be affecting an unrelated piece of equipment not even in the same mod?  Could this be a collision box thing for the Ichigo follower that prevents the necklace from moving and somehow breaks the physics?  The necklace on Ichogo is sitting on her chest normally and visible when the game is loaded and the physics is broken so it doesn't seem to start inside her body or anything like that.

Any ideas?

First off you looking in wrong spot for log and it will even tell you why and what line it broke. So goto your SKSE / PLUGINS file and find it. DO NOT say anything more tell you locate the log or NO ONE CAN HELP YOU.

Ps

You probably dont rember were you put them the very first time you loaded a game with smp it was generated. So 2 ways to fix that.

1 you delete your smp files and then reload them.

2 you can search for it look for (hdtSkinnedMeshPhysics.log)

Good luck.

1 hour ago, shaidien said:

First off you looking in wrong spot for log and it will even tell you why and what line it broke. So goto your SKSE / PLUGINS file and find it. DO NOT say anything more tell you locate the log or NO ONE CAN HELP YOU.

Ps

You probably dont rember were you put them the very first time you loaded a game with smp it was generated. So 2 ways to fix that.

1 you delete your smp files and then reload them.

2 you can search for it look for (hdtSkinnedMeshPhysics.log)

Good luck.

There is no hdtSkinnedMeshPhysics.log I searched.  There is however an hdtPhysicsExtensions.log.

In the hdtPhysicsExtensions.log, it's very short but only the following errors show up:

ERROR: Load "SKSE\Plugins\hdtVagina.xml" error - file no exist
WARNING: Invalid havok serialize file : SKSE\Plugins\hdtVagina.xml
ERROR: Load "SKSE\Plugins\hdtFingers.xml" error - file no exist
WARNING: Invalid havok serialize file : SKSE\Plugins\hdtFingers.xml

INFO: Physics system loaded : SKSE\Plugins\hdtPhysicsExtensionsDefaultBBP.xml

INFO: Physics system loaded : Data\SKSE\Plugins\hdtPhysicsExtensionsDefaultBBP.xml
INFO: Physics system loaded : DATA\MESHES\Actors\Character\Miramis\Outfit\amuletdiamond.xml
INFO: Cell changed...
INFO: Add character 00055649

then there are more add character lines

Do you guys know how to get the breast and hands collision working?  It seems like something is referencing the fingers but there is no XML for it.  I have all the usual stuff, XP Maximum Skeleton Extended, Physics extension etc.  I did a lot of searching and following steps but the collision between hands and boobs doesn't work, but  HDT objects, and bouncing breasts and butt work.

34 minutes ago, shaidien said:

You have both pe and smp fighting over same bone nodes it looks like. It would seem your smp is not set up right. 

So how do you fix it and why do you say that.

That doesn't explain why it's only that follower that's not working.

Well follow this guide to fix the problem by finding and changing the values to the max 255 I won't go over that in detail as this post has all ready done that. I can tell your using pe from the log you posted about cell and character stuff being loaded smp doesn't have that kind of info in its logs only pe. I would think that the custom skeleton is not compatible and most likely you could fix it by placing the right hdt skeleton however FIRST follow this pages guide from page 1 and change all of them values to 255 it can and will fix most to ALL your problems. 

Ps

You need to do this fix everytime you save with jjf.

11 hours ago, shaidien said:

Well follow this guide to fix the problem by finding and changing the values to the max 255 I won't go over that in detail as this post has all ready done that. I can tell your using pe from the log you posted about cell and character stuff being loaded smp doesn't have that kind of info in its logs only pe. I would think that the custom skeleton is not compatible and most likely you could fix it by placing the right hdt skeleton however FIRST follow this pages guide from page 1 and change all of them values to 255 it can and will fix most to ALL your problems. 

Ps

You need to do this fix everytime you save with jjf.

I've already done the 255 fix a long time ago and it didn't fix anything I'm experiencing now.  I think it might fix the stretching, but I haven't played enough to see that.  It didn't fix this issue.

Why are you ignoring what I said about the detailed testing I did and the physics not working with that follower only.  I think I provided very important information there.

What do you mean my skeleton isn't compatible, it's the correct, latest XP32 Maximum Skeleton Extended 68000-4-51, I think the skeleton is correct and nothing overwrites it.

I don't know what jif is.

Just for fun is the tool used to make and adjust pe physics. And if it is a true custom follower then it very easily has it's own skeleton. Point is 2 things to look at first make sure the followers race is on the list in ck that let's it equip the items in ? Second is make sure that follower doesn't have its own skeleton and if so try to replace it with the right one and I do not believe the one you have is the right one I believe its called xpsse or its derivative of that. xp32 is way outdated upgrade to the right skeleton and then come back if problem persists. 

1 hour ago, shaidien said:

Just for fun is the tool used to make and adjust pe physics. And if it is a true custom follower then it very easily has it's own skeleton. Point is 2 things to look at first make sure the followers race is on the list in ck that let's it equip the items in ? Second is make sure that follower doesn't have its own skeleton and if so try to replace it with the right one and I do not believe the one you have is the right one I believe its called xpsse or its derivative of that. xp32 is way outdated upgrade to the right skeleton and then come back if problem persists. 

As I said before, I don't know what you are talking about to let it equip items.  What list?  More detail would be useful.

As I said before, I have XP32 maximum skeleton extended (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/68000) and searching for xpsse brings up the same skeleton I already have.  So I think I have the correct skeleton unless you can provide links stating otherwise.

Nothing is overwriting the skeleton, I already checked that in Mod Organizer.  It says nothing is overwriting the skeleton mod's files.

And what about the follower does it have its own skeleton? 

The list I am talking about is found in ck under what ever your items name is in the armor section. It has a list that you can pic from you will need to load them both your followers mod and the jewelry mod and open the jewelry armor add custom race. Wile you have ck open with said followers mod look under races tab find the female on the race and locate were the skeleton nif is being loaded from. I betting that is your problem. Don't download crapy old nexus stuff and then go on the LL sight thinking you have gotten good stuf that is currently top of the line. In order for nexus to have anything they steal it from here. 

10 hours ago, shaidien said:

And what about the follower does it have its own skeleton? 

The list I am talking about is found in ck under what ever your items name is in the armor section. It has a list that you can pic from you will need to load them both your followers mod and the jewelry mod and open the jewelry armor add custom race. Wile you have ck open with said followers mod look under races tab find the female on the race and locate were the skeleton nif is being loaded from. I betting that is your problem. Don't download crapy old nexus stuff and then go on the LL sight thinking you have gotten good stuf that is currently top of the line. In order for nexus to have anything they steal it from here. 

Is that skeleton not the exact same thing on nexus?  It has the same exact last modified date aug 15 2018.  I can try the one you sent but it looks the same.  What do you think this will fix?

Update: I tried the skeleton from the link you sent me and compared the two files and the file "XP32 Maximum Skeleton Extended 4.51.7z" is exactly the same as the one from nexus as I expected, so I'm already using the correct and updated skeleton.  The other file from the link you sent me "XP32 Maximum Skeleton Special Extended 4.51.7z" is likely for Skyrim Special Edition (I'm using OldRim).  Again, with all the documentation on that page it literally doesn't say anything about what this file "XP32 Maximum Skeleton Special Extended 4.51.7z" is for.  From a note on the page that it works for Skyrim Special Edition as well, you guess that it's for that version and they both have the version number 4.51.  So in conclusion, the file you linked me is the exact same binary file that I'm already using.

Some stuff isn't on LL only on nexus though.  The problem with this stuff is hard to know whats good and updated.  I go by ratings and last modified and use my intuition.

The skeletons for the follower that works and the one that doesn't are using the same skeleton "actors\Character\Character Assets Female\skeleton_female.nif" so that is not the problem.

The follower's races that work and don't work are all already selected in the "Additional Races" in the armor addon in the necklace.  There is no list in the necklace armor but it's single race is set to  default race.  So this looks correct as well.

As I said before, are you sure this isn't a problem in the nif file of the body of the custom follower or something like that?  What would be the fix if this is the case?

3 hours ago, shaidien said:

Can you send me nifs of bad follower and good follower mark them so I know what's what finally send necklace nif and the xml,s for all

Good follower Myra (use the necklace she comes equipped with and use add item menu to clone it and equip it on the other followers) :

Bad(necklace physics do not work after reload) follower:

Bad(necklace physics do not work after reload) follower:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/59097

48 minutes ago, shaidien said:

I have no desire to download everything just upload the nifs as that's all I want to see. I have a download cap my friend so zip it as well.

You only need "Ichigo Follower By Asherz UUNP Nexus Version.7z" which is 100 MB and the other follower download is 100MB as well.  You won't save much in terms of download they are already small files.

I don't want to miss anything compressing the files and they aren't my mods so don't want to redistribute files.  If you just download the original mods it would save a lot of back and forth missing files etc.  They are quite small and you only need one file from each like the Ichigo one I mentioned above.  You also asked for the xmls before as well so you might find other things you want as well.  It would be much easier if you get the original files from the source, they are quite small.