Major Site Upgrade Coming - November 5th, 2017

The new forum software looks subjectively worse, and has objectively much worse functionality....

I hope there won't be anything like that in the new version.

As far as aesthetics like buttons and such, there might be some packages that can be gotten that will change that. It is a very flexible software (I believe CPU is quite familiar with it. Perhaps others in the admin/contributors are as well. There might be some give to give the site more of a "traditional look and feel" at least to a point.

Hopefullly he will be able to add the BBC coding and other features but in the end we would have a more secure site.

Wasn't around for last attempt, so no idea of what it looked like.

Based on Guk's description, share his strong worries.

More secure is good.  Though it does make me wonder what we have been exposed to in the meantime?

More importantly, how likely are we to implement other packages like you mention?

For example, current format is really a nice blend keeping rep a more nuanced feature.

Other forums it becomes a game of getting rep.  Almost institutionalized by way of the toolset.

The individuality encouragement  that this current forum setup has is very nice.

Well yeah i just wanted to highlight a few things that very pretty annoying with the new software. Maybe some of them can be optimized with plugins to prevent another wave of people leaving the forum?

I understand that the update is necessary from a security point of view, and perhaps even has some new features that could be useful (which i personally haven't discovered yet). However after the previous updates, the forum functionality was so miserable that i - after several failed attempts to fix my scrambled mod posts - simply gave up and only returned when the old version was back.

It's worth adding that the new software also significantly slows down the forum, because the server has to send all these gadgets like the link previews to other posts. And the way how it uses Javascript to switch between pages (instead of individual URLs) further slows things down and makes the "browser-back" button unusable.

So let's say you click on a thread on page 11 of a subforum, and after you're done reading you want to get back to the exact place. On a normal website you would simply press this "browser back" button on your mouse, but due to the java implentation you get thrown back to page 1 of the forum list.

Now to get back to page 11 you have to click through the forum pages: 3, 6, 9, 11, that's four clicks and waiting each time for the server to respond. That is, instead of getting back instantly to the cached previous page.

Sorry but that is several steps backwards in human engineering.

I understand. I truly do and hope it works for the best but am prepared for it not to. I am a moderator on another site that has the same software (I assume) and after a bit of getting used to the site, I have no problem navigating or creating post etc. It took a bit I will admit and I don't use BBC code (much if at all) or some of the higher functions that many here use so I can't honestly speak on that. I can say after a bit I gotten used to it and in some ways I prefer it over this sites software.

The new forum software looks subjectively worse, and has objectively much worse functionality....

I hope there won't be anything like that in the new version.

As far as aesthetics like buttons and such, there might be some packages that can be gotten that will change that. It is a very flexible software (I believe CPU is quite familiar with it. Perhaps others in the admin/contributors are as well. There might be some give to give the site more of a "traditional look and feel" at least to a point.

Hopefullly he will be able to add the BBC coding and other features but in the end we would have a more secure site.

Wasn't around for last attempt, so no idea of what it looked like.

Based on Guk's description, share his strong worries.

More secure is good.  Though it does make me wonder what we have been exposed to in the meantime?

More importantly, how likely are we to implement other packages like you mention?

For example, current format is really a nice blend keeping rep a more nuanced feature.

Other forums it becomes a game of getting rep.  Almost institutionalized by way of the toolset.

The individuality encouragement  that this current forum setup has is very nice.

Exposure, most likely not much if any at all. The issue is this is older software and not supported anymore. So if something is discovered, it isn't fixed. It isn't maintained. Same reason you apply updates and run a newer OS... instead of say windows 98. (or now XP) Doesn't mean you have issues, just means you aren't being supported and watched over and issues as they are found, fixed.

There are many packages that can be gotten from the site. at least from my understanding and discussion with the admin on the other site. Different options etc, etc.Also provided Ashal is going to use that software as opposed to something else. (don't believe he stated what software he was going to use only basing this on assumption based on what CPU stated to me earlier)   There is also support however, I haven't personally dealt with the software or support myself so I can't state the level or possible options.

I do know that Ashal cares for the site, truly cares for the site and will try his best to cover as much as he can all the concerns that people have, however, as the saying states, can't make everyone happy all the time. There will very possibly be some things that we will loose and very likely might gain some other things we might like. (this happened the last time this site updated.)

the advice I can give is be patient and give some time for him to get the site up to par and used to the new site before inquiring and/or complaining about some loss in functionality.

The best we can do is sit back and relax and let Ashal and the moderators handle this and give them time and space to do so. It is a very hard task especially coming from such customized settings / software as what we are using (I assume)

I personally give my best wishes to Ashal and team on doing the upgrade. I know there will be some sleepless nights doing so. ;)

Did the upgrade happen? I'm confused a little now since today it the 23.

Hopefully when it happens it will be better and work this time unlike before.

B)

I'd suggest that you consider that a soft start date and be prepared. Get your mods you will want. Make the backup of whatever you feel the need to etc, etc. This way you would be prepared for when it does happen.

Did the upgrade happen? I'm confused a little now since today it the 23.

Hopefully when it happens it will be better and work this time unlike before.

B)

I'd suggest that you consider that a soft start date and be prepared. Get your mods you will want. Make the backup of whatever you feel the need to etc, etc. This way you would be prepared for when it does happen.

Yeap, backing up is of crucial importance. I was the person who mostly forgot to back up my mods or blog entries. I learned the lesson on the hard way. :D

Delaying a few more days, as I'm not feeling too well at the moment. Shouldn't be long though however.

I'm still waiting for HL2 EP3 (or HL3)

I'm still waiting for the final maps for Black Mesa

But unlike those two, this will happen.

In our lifetimes, at least :P

Delaying a few more days, as I'm not feeling too well at the moment. Shouldn't be long though however.

I'm still waiting for HL2 EP3 (or HL3)

I'm still waiting for the final maps for Black Mesa

But unlike those two, this will happen.

In our lifetimes, at least :P

What? What! WHAT?!?!?!

Are you silently implying that one day ONE DAY there will be a TES6 ?

I cannot trust you!

Or, better, for sure it will be out but will be just the old Skyrim revamped in some way.

Let's have fun, we have some days to wait until Ashal get's better.

I just can't wait to see the loot boxes and microtransactions - and whatever else the Creation Club can come up with in TES6!

And don't forget the hand help app to go along with it! The Skyrim version of Fallout Shelter.

Well then again - maybe waiting is not so bad...

Are you silently implying that one day ONE DAY there will be a TES6 ?

VKDJ1yW.jpg

I actually would buy that, despite my recent policy of "fuck Bethesda" :lol:

Most of us likly have the "fuck Bethesda" policy, however, if they do create something awesome regardless of their previous history, then they need to be commended on it (purchases  made and positive comments given) so yes, if they created something fantastic then yes, I would also likely buy it as well.

Any chance of embedded .webm support being rolled into this one?  I'm tired of trying to showcase HDT stuff using 10 megabyte animated gifs that are tiny and look like crap, when I could be using 1 megabyte .webms twice the size and ten times as nice.