SKSE64 Speculation and Safe-Space Thread

pipdude

I gotta agree with DykkenTomb with pretty much everything. Especially with the last part. Today I had the best modded skyrim experience ive ever had. I'm almost at the mod limit, my game is filled with 2k and 4k textures, i got like 4 grass mods, dat grass, field grass, verdant and a few more and i didnt really mess with the ini to fix the density(which usually if you dont, it will just fill the whole thing up to the max) so basically grass galore! Ive ported my favorite animation mods like castanic animation pack and such, i ported tons of clothes and armors, additional player voice (which i thought needed skse but it doesnt) ect and i have 244 mods close to the limit. And no crashes. No real glitches.

I basically got almost all the mods i had in oldrim and more and if there was a mod i wanted that needed skse i instead found a replacement. Like for instance, equipping overhaul and tk dodge, well there are mods to replace them in SSE. I had a hell of a time without racemenu but again, with taking some time to find mods and do a lil editing here and there and a few ports i didnt need race menu.

My point is (in my opinion) SSE is doing great. As DykkenTomb said "how do we get them if the previous authors don't have time to make them... 

Simple! We figure it out! No really it's that simple. We take the time to really start to look at other options. What can we do so far? We know we can implement animations. We know we can have a body and add a custom animation overlay to allow for movement. Am I tickling anyone's brain mechanics here?"

Instead of just waiting for stuff i'm just going ahead and either making replacements that work on SSE or finding a replacement for a mod that someone has made. (Mostly because i see the potential and worth in SSE). Now I'm definitely not saying its better than oldrim but I am saying for me personally, the way I wanted my game, I wouldn't be able to do on olrim. I do have a copy of skyrim LE installed so i can just port mods over to SE if they are on steam workshop, but for the most part a lot of mods work pretty damn well. I mean all you really need to do for most mods is simply download it off of the skyrim nexus and put it in your SE data folder. If its a bsa file you just unpack it. So when I say port over, i dont mean its hard to do, but some people make it sound like its super hard. 

Porting animations from normal skyrim is super easy, porting mods over that dont need skse is super easy. I'm a idiot btw, I praised oldrim because of skse, but I wasn't even using that many skse mods, i found after getting SSE and looking into some of the script mods that they just work on there own and didnt need skse. Skyrim can have a lot of cool mods without skse.

So personally, I don't think skse is that big of a deal. There is just so many other options.

I gotta agree with DykkenTomb with pretty much everything. Especially with the last part. Today I had the best modded skyrim experience ive ever had. I'm almost at the mod limit, my game is filled with 2k and 4k textures, i got like 4 grass mods, dat grass, field grass, verdant and a few more and i didnt really mess with the ini to fix the density(which usually if you dont, it will just fill the whole thing up to the max) so basically grass galore! Ive ported my favorite animation mods like castanic animation pack and such, i ported tons of clothes and armors, additional player voice (which i thought needed skse but it doesnt) ect and i have 244 mods close to the limit. And no crashes. No real glitches.

I basically got almost all the mods i had in oldrim and more and if there was a mod i wanted that needed skse i instead found a replacement. Like for instance, equipping overhaul and tk dodge, well there are mods to replace them in SSE. I had a hell of a time without racemenu but again, with taking some time to find mods and do a lil editing here and there and a few ports i didnt need race menu.

My point is (in my opinion) SSE is doing great. As DykkenTomb said "how do we get them if the previous authors don't have time to make them... 

Simple! We figure it out! No really it's that simple. We take the time to really start to look at other options. What can we do so far? We know we can implement animations. We know we can have a body and add a custom animation overlay to allow for movement. Am I tickling anyone's brain mechanics here?"

Instead of just waiting for stuff i'm just going ahead and either making replacements that work on SSE or finding a replacement for a mod that someone has made. (Mostly because i see the potential and worth in SSE). Now I'm definitely not saying its better than oldrim but I am saying for me personally, the way I wanted my game, I wouldn't be able to do on olrim. I do have a copy of skyrim LE installed so i can just port mods over to SE if they are on steam workshop, but for the most part a lot of mods work pretty damn well. I mean all you really need to do for most mods is simply download it off of the skyrim nexus and put it in your SE data folder. If its a bsa file you just unpack it. So when I say port over, i dont mean its hard to do, but some people make it sound like its super hard. 

Porting animations from normal skyrim is super easy, porting mods over that dont need skse is super easy. I'm a idiot btw, I praised oldrim because of skse, but I wasn't even using that many skse mods, i found after getting SSE and looking into some of the script mods that they just work on there own and didnt need skse. Skyrim can have a lot of cool mods without skse.

So personally, I don't think skse is that big of a deal. There is just so many other options.

Funny how you stated that. Another good is example is the new Skylight UI. I posted it in another thread, but I'll post it here too. 

The simple fact a team of modders are designing SkyUI into Skylight UI is absolutely fantastic. This just shows you the modding community is in full swing. They don't care.. They're going to find away to get their just deserts. It may not be on the nexus, but it's being made and tested for everyone to use. The mod works. I've tested it and followed a tutorial which was made. It really is a treat and makes the game more fun and playable. I'm trying to see if I can fix the crafting menu, but for now. This is a great mod. I'm looking forward to when it gets more advanced. If SKSE64 comes out. They'll already have a version to work with with the new script extender by the time it comes out. You need to think about this. They've already created SkyUI to work with SE. I'll actually be easier to implement if... if.. SKSE64 comes out instead of having to reprogram SkyUI 5.0 to work with it. They can just implement it as they go. 

All mods can be easily converted to SKSE if mods which we have now are already designed to work with vanilla SSE. Give it a script extender. It'll be easier for modders to adjust to make it work better. It's happening, but not at the pace people want it too. This games worth it and the more people jump on the bandwagon the more cool and amazing things we'll see. My hope is for jiggles. I miss my bellys and butts, but.. For now we're making slow progress. The fact we've got something from SkyUI working now is great. I can't wait to see what this community pulls out of it's backside. I have a feeling the nostalgia and shock of cool stuff is only beginning to start. 

Another note this is just an example is where there is a will there is a way. I'll shut up now until another cool mod drops. I think I've said enough. I'll see myself out. XD

Nice.  I had been using a tweaked version of SkyUI 2.2 but sounds like Skylight is a bit more polished.  Thanks for the tip.  Tried it out and it works great.

I did change the favorites though.  The Skylight favorite menu is very small and not very organized.  I replaced it with a categorized favorites menu that covers the whole screen and has everything categorized so it's easy to find without needing to do any scrolling around.  Hotkeys still work as well.  Just need to put these 2 below Skylight.  GAV defaults to only 1 row with 3 columns.  I tweaked it so it's 5 colums and 2 rows but that requires some editing of the favoritesmenu config.

Categorized Favorites Menu - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/4862/?

GAV - Categorized Favorites Menu - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/5350/?

It won't be $1. More like $50. Too expensive? They'll bundle it with a season pass. Maybe a subscription model. Watch the fanboys/paid shills defend it, "so much value!!!!"

It would be on the piratebay in seconds if that happened. When the first batch of paid mods came around they all ended up on the pirate bay. 

Has anyone noticed the devs of "Skyrim Together" claim that they somehow updated SKSE to SSE ? Have a look at the Bullet points here: https://www.reddit.com/r/SkyrimTogether/comments/6fekus/live_todo_list/

Is it even possible to "convert" the old SKSE instead of redoing it? 

In theory I can think of a couple of ways to do so, but in practice I would imagine it would require a redo.

A lot depends on just how different things are between oldrim and sse codeing, yes it goes from 32bit to 64bit, but are there other things going on under the hood so to speak.

Has anyone noticed the devs of "Skyrim Together" claim that they somehow updated SKSE to SSE ? Have a look at the Bullet points here: https://www.reddit.com/r/SkyrimTogether/comments/6fekus/live_todo_list/

In theory I can think of a couple of ways to do so, but in practice I would imagine it would require a redo.

A lot depends on just how different things are between oldrim and sse codeing, yes it goes from 32bit to 64bit, but are there other things going on under the hood so to speak.

Alright, why the redo for SKSE64?.... 

Here is the reason... When Skyrim Special Edition was created. They completely changed the original exe files around. The SKSE team was actually worried about that when the announcement for SSE was made. They stated if the exe files weren't touched by Skyrim Special Edition Bethesda Montreal team then they would be able to easily transition SKSE over to Skyrim Special Edition. All they would need to do is test. 

Well the team started to look under the hood and what they found was yes... Bethesda Montreal team did alter the exe files which completely changed the original code for SKSE to work straight out of the box. 

Now the team began work on the seeing what parts of the code where changed and started to make progress around March, but life happened and the team kind of put the project under the no more communication atmosphere or updates because they didn't want to get people's hopes up when it would be finished and have an angry modding community coming down on them. I don't blame them.. When you've created one of the most essential mods for a game on PC and you can't bring it to full fruition due to life and other events. Of course you'll go silent. This way you can work in peace or work on it whenever you want not having to worry about making false promises to people and getting a negative backlash. 

Now from the last updated video they were saying... They were finding a lot of the old plugin scripts for the old SKSE and were getting the project underway, but the thing about SKSE is you have to test the living hell out of it and I mean hell. You can't just release it and tell everyone. Here's your mod.. No, when you reverse engineer something like what SKSE does you have to test it. Now the other team might have been able to convert or update SKSE to Skyrim SE, but until the community comes together and tests their claims. We won't know. We'll have to wait for announcements from either the SKSE team themselves or people who've created something similar.Right now I wouldn't hold your breathe. I'd just wait patiently to see a responds from the SKSE team if they even give one. 

But it is cool to see people trying to convert the scripts over. 

I really don't like this SKSE competition. It will only divide mods into two camps SKSE64 and SKSEConverted and you won't be able to play them together since both will have different loaders.

Not really. It'll depend on the community and which one beats out the other. You need to remember and see that in Skryim's community. The majority will rule and the mods that don't get adopted usually get phased out or abandon. 

If SKSE convert is stable and works well. The SKSE may very well decide they might just add to it. Instead of having to rebuild from scratch, but it we'll depend on a number of factors. 

1. Number of Mod Authors who choose to use SKSE64 or SKSECon

2. Which is going to be less buggy/glitch

3. Which one is more stable on a variety of machines.

It'll literally come down to these factors. 

Besides there is nothing wrong with SKSE64 having competition. Like all competition it pushes for better innovation. 

I really don't like this SKSE competition. It will only divide mods into two camps SKSE64 and SKSEConverted and you won't be able to play them together since both will have different loaders.

Not really. It'll depend on the community and which one beats out the other. You need to remember and see that in Skryim's community. The majority will rule and the mods that don't get adopted usually get phased out or abandon. 

If SKSE convert is stable and works well. The SKSE may very well decide they might just add to it. Instead of having to rebuild from scratch, but it we'll depend on a number of factors. 

1. Number of Mod Authors who choose to use SKSE64 or SKSECon

2. Which is going to be less buggy/glitch

3. Which one is more stable on a variety of machines.

It'll literally come down to these factors. 

Besides there is nothing wrong with SKSE64 having competition. Like all competition it pushes for better innovation. 

Not really what if SKSEConverted comes out first. It last for a year or two but is flimsy. Most of the SKSE based mods are going to get converted for SKSEConverted. Then after a year real SKSE64 comes with everything stable as Script Extender are usually know for. Those mods that got converted already will stay that way because modders often go out of the business.

If SKSE64 Comes out.

Either way, this is progress. Instead of sitting around waiting, people are actually doing something. This is what moves the modding community forward.  We've given the SKSE team too much responsibility and claim over mod progress. 

It shouldn't be SKSE or nothing. So this is a good thing in my book. Honestly this is SSE modding in a nutshell right now, replacing and/or substituting, I mean look at Skylight UI. 

Both projects are based on skse32, therefor they should be compatible with each other, offering the same basic instructions and API. At least in the beginning, if they fork at some point and decide to add own commands individually that will become a problem  - atleast if there will be two releases, sofar there's not even one.

Someone said that they have written agreements with Bethesda that prevents them from profiting off of SKSE.

I think you (or someone before you) got that wrong, what was stated on reddit is that their working contract doesn't allow to earn/get* money anywhere else. But they don't work for Beth. And while LL doesn't consider patreon as "demanding money", their employers are less generous or they don't want to try it. I wouldn't risk my job either to get some donations.

*I guess somebody could mention them in his testament and die, but... as grateful i am, i wouldn't consider that an option.^^

For the SKSE "competition": i don't see that. From what i've read in the thread the guys from Skyrim together made some parts of SKSE functionality themselves, and are still struggling with the stuff they actually need for their own mod. They stated that they have a good error handling and if another mod uses SKSE functions it will do nothing instead of instant CTD, but doing nothing is not really a replacement for SKSE 64. I wouldn't expect HDT to work, or sexlab, or pretty much anything that keeps me playing starting Skyrim. 

Not that i'd blame them, they have their mod they want to finish and not doing stuff that isn't related to their mod is how they get stuff done in the end.

• 4 weeks later...

A dev over there answered to the question if they are planing to release their own version of SKSE64:

Our SKSE version isn't exactly for public use, it has very limited functionality for which we use to enable implmentations. I also wouldn't expect any sort of release of an "SKSE" from us, that's not in our plan. We may however add some API functions for mods to use ie (getting a list of players (because skyrim treats NPCs and players exactly the same), etc).

https://www.reddit.com/r/SkyrimTogether/comments/6fekus/live_todo_list/dl7jz0p/

You prefer a vacuum over the creation of stuff?  As it stands SKSE64 is  vaporware,  doesn't seem much point you worrying about fragmentation under the circumstances. 

So many bullshit is written down in this thread it's unbelievable. Why you should even get conflicts if using multiple hooks, you retards use enb and skse together so why should it even be impossible to use skse64 and skseconverted(which will never be a standalone plugin, more a hook only for skyrim together, So skse64 won't take any use for it since it will force esp lists server side like tes3mp, you won't be able to use skse plugins in there or it will desync) together. Doesn't make any sense. This thread shows parallels to the 0sex thread where 30+ sites only trash talk like OMG mod izz dedd, CEO is gone Flame. Why you talk so many shit in here?

Now use some proper english so the rest can understand what the fuck you were trying to say

lol, We just went from not having skse64, and probably won't anytime soon, if at all, to having two forms of Skse fighting it out for superiority.  More times than not, if you ever see RL issues come up along with development issues, the project is probably dead in the water. Hey Windows 10 should be fixed pretty soon, at least there is that.  :D

We'll see. Windows 10 is terrible in all hell. It can't even handle certain certain mods you install with NMM which is ridiculous. Work with people computer and all they do is bitch about it. It's got some good features, but it's terrible when it comes to games. You would have thought better from a company that's been in the console market for over a decade and help keep PC gaming active after apple decided gaming was worth their OS. 

Whether we get SKSE64 will depend on a number of factors. If we get two different versions it'll only show the mod community is thriving. I doubt people will give up their jiggles, All in one and wet schlongs for SSE right now, but you never know. As for real life. It's going to come down to economics. That'll end up deciding if SKSE64 or SKSE converted comes to play. 

The biggest problem facing SKSE64 is that it's been a long time since their last announcement and most modders have moved on into developing their mods without SKSE. No one in their right mind would try and port their mods back to use SKSE if they already found a way around. Look at Frostfall. Previously, it needed SKSE to add in the additional functions but now, it doesn't really as the engine can take the beating that SKSE used to offload. Look at vilfamy's progress into Sexlab Light and how he was able to hook sex animations after some exposure in Fallout 4. 

For me, the key to SE is learning what works in Fallout 4 and transferring that to Skyrim. Unfortunately, most of the SKSE team had only released a basic F4SE before saying 'fuck it, we'll leave it' with expired mostly doing the rest of the work. Because of this, that hampers SKSE to the point where we don't know how they are progressing.

I have several unfinished projects that just cannot work without some of the features SKSE provided.

So, if someone thinks that SKSE is not needed, that you just need to find some "workaround", then that person is either ignorant or inexperienced when it comes to Papyrus and related stuff.

What the fuck are these ppl thinking? that SKSE was just some fancy nerdy tool that noone really needed? really???

I have several unfinished projects that just cannot work without some of the features SKSE provided.

So, if someone thinks that SKSE is not needed, that you just need to find some "workaround", then that person is either ignorant or inexperienced when it comes to Papyrus and related stuff.

What the fuck are these ppl thinking? that SKSE was just some fancy nerdy tool that noone really needed? really???

Seconded. I have a personal house mod (don't know if I'll ever release it, hunting for permissions would be a nightmare) with a lot of cool features. Many of those features require SKSE, or additional dll plugins. Workarounds would either be impossible, or result in very clunky solutions. For example, replacing UILIB's text input widget with a series of message boxes that would require 2-3 clicks to type a single character.

The only reason you need SKSE is because it allows additional hooks such as UI, key bindings and as well as get______ functions. Technically, you can do the get______ functions in Papyrus if you know what to look for.

Ignorant? Perhaps but if you can't, then you're not a modder really.

Archived