SKSE64 Speculation and Safe-Space Thread

pipdude

I'm just arguing for patience, not trying to deflect the discussion.

Be that as it may, you presented a false dilemma in support of it. If folks here were making high horse demands about daily updates you might be onto something, but since nobody is, you aren't.

Nothing wrong with advocating patience. There's also nothing wrong with speculating about the future of modding in the absence of something many folks think of as vital to it. 

I'd sooner wait on postings of substance than get meaningless reassurances. 

Well. In this case, we all waited for 3 months on their word that there would be a beta mid-march. Only to find out that it hadn't been worked on at all during that entire time. The guy who gave that date still hasn't posted one thing since his own deadline passed.

I get what you are saying. But, I think that a reassurance at this point would not be meaningless. The fact that they aren't even bothering to give a clear reassurance after what happened is a very bad sign, imo.

Put yourself in their shoes. Wouldn't you feel an obligation to at least write a few posts to people after you didn't follow through with what you said you would do?

Put yourself in their shoes. Wouldn't you feel an obligation to at least write a few posts to people after you didn't follow through with what you said you would do?

nope

and nostradamus said 2018 for skse

Given that the modding scene is essentially founded on the free flow of knowledge, and living in an age in which folks can't take a dump and not tweet about it, the complete absence of anything at all in 3 months is a fairly remarkable feat of non-participation. The guy who did have something to say seemed to have virtually had it shaken out of him. 

Some people have the attitude that they'll post something when there's something worthwhile to post. For the Script Extender team, it's always been that way. I'd sooner wait on postings of substance than get meaningless reassurances. Plus let's not forget that no one is sure if Bethesda is done with breaking the game further (read: patching it). Every time they do the team practically has to start over from scratch to get things to run properly.

You want someone to yell at in frustration? Yell at BGS to stop trying to "fix" things. Once they're done mangling things further, the people who know what they're doing can finally get to work.

I dont get the impression anyone wants to yell at them, the only rumor I have heard that is annoying in the least was about a capable person asking to help and was ignored. Most, in this thread at least, seem to be asking if another option should be happening and I dont disagree, a backup plan isnt a bad idea even from the beginning of a situation.

I appreciate everything the SKSE team has given usbut if they are sick of it...well pass it off.

Given that the modding scene is essentially founded on the free flow of knowledge, and living in an age in which folks can't take a dump and not tweet about it, the complete absence of anything at all in 3 months is a fairly remarkable feat of non-participation. The guy who did have something to say seemed to have virtually had it shaken out of him. 

You want someone to yell at in frustration? Yell at BGS to stop trying to "fix" things. Once they're done mangling things further, the people who know what they're doing can finally get to work.

I don't feel any need to yell at anybody.....apart from you right now for your fallacious reasoning and trying to add heat where there wasn't any. 

Whether or not it's the case that the team doesn't communicate doesn't in any way invalidate my observation. At the risk of you misrepresenting anything else I say about this as expressions of primal frustration, actually that wasn't the case through December, when one of them was freely communicating with the community . Abruptly that stopped and nothing else has been said by that formerly communicative team member since. In this instance, no news wasn't good news. 

I'll go back to happily playing SSE sans SKSE now. You go do your own yelling. 

I don't feel any need to yell at anybody.....apart from you right now for your fallacious reasoning and trying to add heat where there wasn't any. 

Whether or not it's the case that the team doesn't communicate doesn't in any way invalidate my observation. At the risk of you misrepresenting anything else I say about this as expressions of primal frustration, actually that wasn't the case through December, when one of them was freely communicating with the community . Abruptly that stopped and nothing else has been said by that formerly communicative team member since. In this instance, no news wasn't good news. 

I'll go back to happily playing SSE sans SKSE now. You go do your own yelling. 

It was not my intent to be inflammatory. Please disregard my now-deleted prior post. The curse of Asperger's on verbiage strikes again.

nope

and nostradamus said 2018 for skse

Well that settles it. Accountability is dead.

Well. In this case, we all waited for 3 months on their word that there would be a beta mid-march. Only to find out that it hadn't been worked on at all during that entire time. The guy who gave that date still hasn't posted one thing since his own deadline passed.

I get what you are saying. But, I think that a reassurance at this point would not be meaningless. The fact that they aren't even bothering to give a clear reassurance after what happened is a very bad sign, imo.

Point taken. But remember that release dates for quality products are guidelines, not hard facts. It is irritating that we haven't heard a word but it's also a free program. By the same token we can't exactly hold the SE team to the same standards as we would a group that we were paying. If this were a Patreon thing or, gods of gaming forbid, a Bethesda project, I'd be on them like white on rice for status updates. Honestly I wouldn't expect them to have the same amount of time to do this as they did thirteen years ago, when SE first appeared for Morrowind.

I actually don't have any problem with what they have (or haven't) done. Life happens.

I would just like to see some constructive troubleshooting for a way forward. I list out what they have done in plain terms because I think holding out hope at this point is just delaying a replacement strategy.

Unless some form of Script Extender comes out i believe SSE will have a very limited life, i've noticed that at Nexus there used to be pages and pages of new stuff for Skyrim, lucky to get over 1 page now. Appears a lot of Mod authors have disappeared too. So much for SSE sigh.

Unless some form of Script Extender comes out i believe SSE will have a very limited life, i've noticed that at Nexus there used to be pages and pages of new stuff for Skyrim, lucky to get over 1 page now. Appears a lot of Mod authors have disappeared too. So much for SSE sigh.

64 bit would be a dream for all my Skyrim mods. A lot of potential for SSE, unfortunately much of that potential relies on SKSE64.

I've noticed many comments suggesting people to build their own extenders instead of waiting but what they don't get is that there are valid reasons why it shouldn't be the case; I'm totally with Pipdude on the idea that either the SKSE team go about their home run or simply hand over the porting process to whoever is volunteering to do so.

If another "new" extender is written then most if not all SKSE dependent mods would have to be rewritten to function, many of which aren't even maintained either because they're  considered completed and/or were abandoned by their authors, modders would have to learn the ins-and-outs (a new learning curve and a lot of troubleshooting leading to stagnation) of the new extender and manage two versions of the same mod, one for Oldrim and another for SSE.

Non of that would be an issue if only the SKSE team handed over the source files to a willing volunteer to run through the registry.

In no way I'm sidelining the accomplishments or even the authority of the SKSE team over their extender, but they might as well accept help when offered.

I've noticed many comments suggesting people to build their own extenders instead of waiting but what they don't get is that there are valid reasons why it shouldn't be the case; I'm totally with Pipdude on the idea that either the SKSE team go about their home run or simply hand over the porting process to whoever is volunteering to do so.

If another "new" extender is written then most if not all SKSE dependent mods would have to be rewritten to function, many of which aren't even maintained either because they're  considered completed and/or were abandoned by their authors, modders would have to learn the ins-and-outs (a new learning curve and a lot of troubleshooting leading to stagnation) of the new extender and manage two versions of the same mod, one for Oldrim and another for SSE.

Non of that would be an issue if only the SKSE team handed over the source files to a willing volunteer to run through the registry.

In no way I'm sidelining the accomplishments or even the authority of the SKSE team over their extender, but they might as well accept help when offered.

Good points.

I just figure that even a new extender that allows new functions for new mods is better than no extender at all.

Also, if someone did make a new extender, they would probably end up making the functions needed to get at least the more popular mods running. Most mods use the same handful of SKSE functions. It could actually do without a large portion of them without axing too many mods.

Most people reading this thread have probably seen this. But, just in case: Progress on F4SE!

Would be great to have both. But, I'll take F4SE over SKSE64.

Looks like the API is going to be different (improved) from SKSE. So, porting from SE to FO4 would be tedious anyway. Might just be time to shelf Skyrim once and for all for me...

Just because someone is working on F4SE doesn't mean the team has abandoned SSE.  That guy is probably more focused on Fallout while bhippo and/or some other team members may be more focused on Skyrim.  Sometimes RL intervenes.  SE is already quite playable as is.  There's still oldrim as well if you just have to have SKSE to play. 

The number of mods I'm missing that depend on SKSE is still shrinking.  The only ones I'm waiting on now are Kryptophyr's mods (CACO and CCO mostly), a decent hotkey mod, and the sexlab stuff.  Everything else has already been ported without SKSE or I have found a replacement.

Just because someone is working on F4SE doesn't mean the team has abandoned SSE.  That guy is probably more focused on Fallout while bhippo and/or some other team members may be more focused on Skyrim. 

I'm not a programmer, but I'd think it would be easier to convert SKSE to 64-bit than to complete F4SE since the former already has a base (Oldrim SE). Everybody says it's just a matter of making sure flags and names are the same as before, which does seem to be the case. But you're probably right that they're working on F4SE. FO4 came out over a year ago and actual modification progress has been slow both officially (has Bethesda released a finalized CK for it yet, anyone?) and unofficially with the Script Extender.

I don't think I can't take much more of Oldrim, though. My mod load has reached a point that I have to quick save every few minutes for fear of a CTD from it running out of memory. And I just can't bring myself to play Newrim until I can convert the current SkyUI; Bethesda made the game for consoles first even back in '11, which is just a headache on PC.

I'm not a programmer, but I'd think it would be easier to convert SKSE to 64-bit than to complete F4SE since the former already has a base (Oldrim SE). Everybody says it's just a matter of making sure flags and names are the same as before, which does seem to be the case. But you're probably right that they're working on F4SE. FO4 came out over a year ago and actual modification progress has been slow both officially (has Bethesda released a finalized CK for it yet, anyone?) and unofficially with the Script Extender.

I don't think I can't take much more of Oldrim, though. My mod load has reached a point that I have to quick save every few minutes for fear of a CTD from it running out of memory. And I just can't bring myself to play Newrim until I can convert the current SkyUI; Bethesda made the game for consoles first even back in '11, which is just a headache on PC.

Agree about the interface.  I'm using SkyUI 2.2 with the warning message removed as well as a customized, categorized favorites menu, SkyHud and a converted version of Elys Alt F4 mod that fixes keyboard issues (and lets me use my volume controls).  So my UI in SSE is pretty close to the same as it was in oldrim other than the lack of MCM and a more static HUD.  There are some less feature rich versions of CACO and CCO as well which I'm using and Flower Girls gives me at least a little of the adult stuff.

The stability issues are what made me switch to SE as well.  SE never crashes and gets significantly better frame rate than oldrim even with higher quality visual mods installed than I had in oldrim.  When I'm testing a new mod in SE, if it crashes even once and I can't fix whatever caused it, I don't use it.  So outside of initial mod testing, SE has literally never crashed for me after over 300 hours played.  I could only dream of that level of stability in oldrim.

Just because someone is working on F4SE doesn't mean the team has abandoned SSE.  That guy is probably more focused on Fallout while bhippo and/or some other team members may be more focused on Skyrim.  Sometimes RL intervenes.  SE is already quite playable as is.  There's still oldrim as well if you just have to have SKSE to play. 

The number of mods I'm missing that depend on SKSE is still shrinking.  The only ones I'm waiting on now are Kryptophyr's mods (CACO and CCO mostly), a decent hotkey mod, and the sexlab stuff.  Everything else has already been ported without SKSE or I have found a replacement.

I may be an outlier. I don't really want SKSE64 for the sake of using older mods. I wanted it to help create new mods for SE.

At this point, I doubt that I will make those mods now. Especially since F4SE looks like it is around the corner with everything I need, on a better engine.

I'm not a programmer, but I'd think it would be easier to convert SKSE to 64-bit than to complete F4SE since the former already has a base (Oldrim SE). 

I'm a programmer. But, not a reverse engineer. So, I'm going out on a limb also. I suspect that the answer is "yes and no". On one hand, more new code has to be written for F4SE. But, writing new code can be fun. Finding a bunch of hooks in compiled code... I see no way that is fun.

Who is that Qazyhn on reddit? Expired or some new member?

I'm not sure. But, I think it is Expired. Just judging by knowledge level.

Just because someone is working on F4SE doesn't mean the team has abandoned SSE.  That guy is probably more focused on Fallout while bhippo and/or some other team members may be more focused on Skyrim. 

Actually it would be better and easier for them to complete one or the other instead of doing both and FO4 probably has a bigger audience than SE at the moment.

I downloaded the F4SE and compiled the sorce to look at similarities the other day. I was tempted to go ahead and continue but then the issue would be if and when SKSE released I would have to abandon the project because it would be different and more difficult, so I decided to not mess with it and work on my own stuff which is not someone elses IP.

If SKSE64 happens then great otherwise I have Oldrim for the sex mods and SE for game play. :lol: 

Most people reading this thread have probably seen this. But, just in case: Progress on F4SE!

Looks like the API is going to be different (improved) from SKSE. So, porting from SE to FO4 would be tedious anyway. Might just be time to shelf Skyrim once and for all for me...

Agreed. F4SE is way over due.

Exactly. I was knocking on the 255 mods limit in Mod Organizer, add in all the texture mods, convoluted scripts, a bunch of HDT gimmicks, SKSE plugins and an ENB and I'm looking at 30 minutes gameplay sessions before CTDs. Plus, 50 hours into the game and you'll be lucky if you can load your save too. So yeah... I feel you bro! (nice handle btw :P)

Agreed. F4SE is way over due.

Exactly. I was knocking on the 255 mods limit in Mod Organizer, add in all the texture mods, convoluted scripts, a bunch of HDT gimmicks, SKSE plugins and an ENB and I'm looking at 30 minutes gameplay sessions before CTDs. Plus, 50 hours into the game and you'll be lucky if you can load your save too. So yeah... I feel you bro! (nice handle btw :P)

IM GLAD IM NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS TO SAVE EVERY 1-3 MINUTES

• 2 months later...

Well Bruma will be coming to SE soon and from the sounds of things all future releases from that team will be SE only so hopefully that will spark some renewed development interest.  In the meantime I'll happily continue playing with close to 100GB of mods installed in SE and never a crash.  SKSE64 will be a welcome edition when and if it comes but it's by no means required to have a great experience.

Archived