SSE Criticism Thread Reloaded

• 2 weeks later...

Just my two cent`s worth.

As posted why the hype about the money grab ? It only affects console users and it is there choice if they buy Skyrim SE. They will soon realise that what they brought is still limited compared to PC especially if SKSE64 does become a reality and Beth starts to regulate and charge for there mods. Pc users like me have now got for free a far more stable game to enjoy thanks to Beth exploiting console users. So two thumbs up Beth for hood winking console users into buying a tarted up five year old game. Creation kit is the big annoyance for me. All the same creaky clunky ancient program. It now can`t even handle large mods like interesting npc`s, just borks when you try to up date the esp. I now have  165 plug in mods and a number of non plug in mods like texture, sound, animation and a 194 plug ins list and the game is smoooth as. Main cause of my ctd`s is me porting mods. In old rim out of  four play through s I never did complete all the main quests. Dawn guard I only managed one complete play though with out bugs. New rim just cruising through dawn guard. Yes it is still the same old game but so much more fun to play.  Also there are a number of mods  now ported that give quite a bit more game play.

• 4 weeks later...

I have Skyrim SE for free. What money grab? Where??? They should just give SE for consoles for free? Are you nuts? Console players actually love Bethesda for SSE. I understand them completely but that doesn't change the fact that imo for PC SSE is obsolete.

Pros:

- Stability

Cons:

- Everything else

I skipped oldrim, bought SSE late last year on sale, not knowing the differences between them. Been reading through all the stuff needed to get it setup, since Nov of last year.

Well after a few days/weeks of testing it out, over the past few months, pure vanilla and unmodded and then litely modded (< 10), I find it way too unstable for me to even consider to bother with. I think it needs some major fixing, but I won't get my hopes on that.

Maybe oldrim would have been a better choice for me...

I skipped oldrim, bought SSE late last year on sale, not knowing the differences between them. Been reading through all the stuff needed to get it setup, since Nov of last year.

Well after a few days/weeks of testing it out, over the past few months, pure vanilla and unmodded and then litely modded (< 10), I find it way too unstable for me to even consider to bother with. I think it needs some major fixing, but I won't get my hopes on that.

You probably have some incompatible mods or load order issues.  If you think Skyrim SE is unstable, Oldrim would be totally unplayable.  I can play SE for hundreds of hours at a time and never crash with 66 GB of mods installed.

If you're looking for a good start, find a load order/installation guide like this one and follow it:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2846/?

Then you can add to it later after making sure your game is stable with the base mods.  The one above is what I started with and never crashes.  It hasn't been updated in a long time but it still works.

SKSE64 is officially kaput. There is a post on Nexus from one of the skse team stating that in a round a bout way. Either the SKSE team members have moved on or are to busy or both. So unless in the years to come one of them feels all nostalgic about Skyrim and returns too develop  the SKSE64 it a`int gonna happen. As for some one picking up the project that won`t happen with there work. The SKSE team also had to do some serious wrangling with Bethesda getting permission to work on there game. So that also is a hurdle for any one wanting to do there own SKSE64.

SKSE64 is officially kaput. There is a post on Nexus from one of the skse team stating that in a round a bout way. Either the SKSE team members have moved on or are to busy or both. So unless in the years to come one of them feels all nostalgic about Skyrim and returns too develop  the SKSE64 it a`int gonna happen. As for some one picking up the project that won`t happen with there work. The SKSE team also had to do some serious wrangling with Bethesda getting permission to work on there game. So that also is a hurdle for any one wanting to do there own SKSE64.

thats your interpretation, word is its gonna be done when its done not kaput as you put it, reason being after they failed to meet their deadline it would make sense not to try and raised expectation by being committed to a deadline...

and they did mentioned if anyone who has the necessary knowledge they will consider getting these people onboard.

imo, they did release an update for fallout 4 tho, so things arent so bad just expect delays and skyrim 6 is till years away.

meanwhile skyrim se will still be relevant..

my 2 cents

You probably have some incompatible mods or load order issues.  If you think Skyrim SE is unstable, Oldrim would be totally unplayable.  I can play SE for hundreds of hours at a time and never crash with 66 GB of mods installed.

If you're looking for a good start, find a load order/installation guide like this one and follow it:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2846/?

Then you can add to it later after making sure your game is stable with the base mods.  The one above is what I started with and never crashes.  It hasn't been updated in a long time but it still works.

Thanks! If I get up the motivation again (and a 4GB+ Vidcard) I'll try that LO. I also suspect 2GB of VRAM just ain't cutting it either.

My last experience with the game was the T-bone game engine bug, similar to what I'd get on rare occasions in a very heavily modded Oblivion.

Thanks! If I get up the motivation again (and a 4GB+ Vidcard) I'll try that LO. I also suspect 2GB of VRAM just ain't cutting it either.

My last experience with the game was the T-bone game engine bug, similar to what I'd get on rare occasions in a very heavily modded Oblivion.

You can play it with a 2GB card, just have to go easy on the texture mods.  I was using a 2GB card until a few months ago.  If you use 2k textures for everything you'd probably exceed your limit but if you do mostly 1k textures you should be ok.  You'll probably have to skip using SFO and Verdant though, my system ground to a crawl with those when I had a 2GB card.

There are some cheap 4GB cards around now as well if you want to upgrade.  I got a GTX 1050Ti for less than $150.  I imagine you can get a comparable AMD card for that as well.

@ khumak - I had to replace my prior XFX AMD Vidcard as the fans just up and died and no replacements. So I picked up what I thought was a bargain at BestBuy, an AMD Radeon R7 360. It plays fine with 250+ mods in Oblivion but not so far in SSE. Not exactly better than my last card, but I wanted to at least try out the AMD Displayport option. After all is said and done, I'm not all that impressed.

And yeah, I kind of figured it is textures causing most issues. I've recently  reviewed 4GB and 8 GB cards on Amazon and Newegg and the price difference between 4 and 8 is not justifiable, IMO. I'll wait a bit more as prices are always dropping and I'll pick up a real cheap 4. I built this PC from scratch in 2013 and it's getting close to the end of it's life cycle, even after maxing out all upgrades. Time for a newer, more capable MB. I just so hate having to move to Win10, Win7-64 is finally so rock solid for me, much like WinXP was.

I agree about the 8GB cards.  I just couldn't justify spending that much.  4GB is fine for me as long as I stick to mostly 2k textures.  I'll wait til the 8GB cards are less than $150 before I go for one of those.

You can get an RX 4/570 with 8 Gigs of VRAM for 200 Dollars...

• 1 month later...

I agree about the 8GB cards.  I just couldn't justify spending that much.  4GB is fine for me as long as I stick to mostly 2k textures.  I'll wait til the 8GB cards are less than $150 before I go for one of those.

It's funny. I've actually seen cards for 12gbs around 500 which is actually a deal from the precious months when they were 10K. I would keep looking, because you may see a 8GB card on a sale. I think it just comes down to right time and place for a good deal. What really gets you is the shipping. 

Bethesda could have made so much fucking money with SSE had they helped the SKSE team with the 64bit port, shame they dont give a fuck about pc users but only console ( looking at you creation club )

Or better yet just integrate it into the base game.  Then SKSE would work on the consoles as well.  Preferably with some sort of payment to the SKSE team.

• 2 weeks later...

Bethesda could have made so much fucking money with SSE had they helped the SKSE team with the 64bit port, shame they dont give a fuck about pc users but only console ( looking at you creation club )

Actually almost everyone got SSE for free.

Bethesda is not interested in SKSE, because of parity with consoles.

Bethesda would not allow SKSE for consoles, and will not be allowed by platform owners to implement anything like SKSE for skyrim, as it is used for executing third-party binary code (and this is how consoles can be jailbroken). 

But I would be glad to see SKSE64 at least for PC.

im not making full switch to sse unless we have skse64,skyui, and our beloved hentai mods but i will play sse for some new mods like bruma or similar which are impossible to play on oldrim for me too many issues, poor performance and ctd. bruma runs so good on sse compared to oldrim. man i wish everything is made available for sse soon and everyone makes a move to sse, its such a better skyrim.

Yeah, lack of SkyUI is the biggest roadblock for me. Did no one at Bethesda ever try to use the default UI on PC? :s Though i hear that pre-SKSE versions of SkyUI work with SSE?

The thing about Oldrim is that it either looks and plays like shit, or runs like shit. Pick one.

The thing about SSE is that the mods aren't there (Yet? Remains to be seen.)

Edit: Yes, SkyUI 2.2 will work with SSE, though requires slight editing: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/5awtkm/guide_quick_and_dirty_way_to_remove_skse_warning/

I don't know about you ... guys ... but i had an amazing experience playing and modding Skyrim SE. The graphics are improved, the game stability it is VASTLY improved (and by that i mean ... 0 Crashes + 1 Freeze in 6 months with 150+ plugins and overall cca 250 mods, replacing textures and meshes), the script / papyrus load it is obviously increased ... meaning the game can handle many more scripts at the same time, the LOD distances and the LOAD of interior and exterior cells of small and big objects, etc. I tested the interior cells objects load ... and i fitted 4x more objects in a SSE interior cell than in the same cell in Oldrim (with the memory patch of course ... which actually made the game crash less ... on the expense of loading purple textures). The Oldrim wasn't simply designed to handle so many demanding mods at the same time, graphic haevy, npc / object heavy or script heavy. SSE came to solve that issue ... and the PC modders gain the most from this SSE, because it makes their life easier ... then PC gamers (because of the stability) ... and only lastly the console players ... which gain the least in my opinion ...except having some dumb-down mods ... of course. 

Now it is fair to say ... after 6 months of consistent gameplay ... without drastically changing the active mods (meaning 1 new mod per weak and constantly changing EFF and AFT between them) ... i re-worked my mod lists, update everything change all graphic mods with newer versions or better mods ... reach the plugin limit (250) ... and have overall 400 mods in my MO ... i now get 1 crash at 7-8 hours of gameplay (meaning 1 crash per week) ... that's still nothing compared to the Oldrim ... where even if you had all mods working fine with each other ... the memory stack of 256 and then 512 ... where still getting full after 6-7 cell loads (ore more than 10 modded NPC per cell) ... and crashed the game. Not to mention that my crash quota doubled after i got greedy with the 5-6 Lovers Lab mods, very heavy in the way of scripting. Just to give an example ... i coudn't get Bijn Warmaidens + Crapy 2K HD Textures (City Module) at the same time with getting a CTD in Bannered Mare ... i had to choose one or the other. I guess not everyone had the same experience with Oldrim ... i actually remember that my old i3 pc with a crappy graphic 2 GB VRAM and and 4 GB RAM, Windows XPSP3 ... without graphical intense mods ... was handling better the game as far as stability is concern ... compare to my current setup ... which is an i7 4790k, 16 GB RAM and GTX 970 4GB VRAM and w7 x64. So my point is that at least for me ... and my gaming setup (and because i like modding myself) ... Skyrim x64 is a god sent ... and reverting back from a SSE to Oldrim is like going from SkyUI to Vanilla Interface ... who does that, when it has a choice?

About SKSE64 and Stuff ... if they take the time to release it, they get my big endorsement ... if not ... that is not SSE's foul. This is the big problem ... when few mods / tools grow so popular and used ... killing the competition in the process (i will put here ... SKSE, SkyUI, MO and Frostfall). If you remember at the beginning we also had Script Dragon that did pretty much the same thing as SKSE expanding the scripts capabilities ... it's just that it got killed by SKSE ... and didn't get update anymore. Fortunately ... 95% of my favourite Oldrim Mods, have been either ported or i ported myself to SSE ... there are only a handful of SKSE mods ... that i'm still missing ... and those are:  a newer version of SkyUI ... mostly because of the pretty colors ... because SkyUi 2.2 has basically the same functionality ... except search function, which i don't use any way; RaceMenu ... only needed because i create a lot of highly customize followers to fill my game world (even if i can generate a lot of characters assets myself using CK64, including more hair collors and so on), Dual Sheat Redux (to have both swords and daggers on the back), those simple mods that allow you to re-name your horse (research it and it just cannot be done without SKSE ... on default horses), and there was another SKSE mods that i remember loving it ... giving a name to every generic npc in game ... and that's it ... 5 SKSE Mods ... i'm sure i forget few minor ones! 

Of course ... the ppl banning SSE ... probably have a bigger list of must have mods ... but imo ... best Skyrim mods (those that add new content (quest and adventures, animation, sounds, graphic, npcs and companions, graphics)) ... had been already ported ... and that 'big chink of mods' that will be ported along with SKSE (if)... it is actually a 'small chunk of niche mods' ... and you are wasting time and ultra-quality gameplay ... for a little extra-functionality that the SKSE mods provide to the game.

Another thing that is bothering me ... is ... why Nexus Manager is even a thing anymore ... if Mod Organizer exist both for Oldrim and SKSE? Why waste ... anything ... on NMM ... if MO actually exist?

Yeah, lack of SkyUI is the biggest roadblock for me. Did no one at Bethesda ever try to use the default UI on PC? :s Though i hear that pre-SKSE versions of SkyUI work with SSE?

The thing about Oldrim is that it either looks and plays like shit, or runs like shit. Pick one.

The thing about SSE is that the mods aren't there (Yet? Remains to be seen.)

Edit: Yes, SkyUI 2.2 will work with SSE, though requires slight editing: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/5awtkm/guide_quick_and_dirty_way_to_remove_skse_warning/

Apparently, Skylight UI is now a thing and is being tested on github. Just discovered this little bit. Should be fun to see how this develops.

Skylight UI

https://github.com/rustequal/SkylightUI

I don't need to make a switch because it's the same game. Better graphics comparing vanilla? It had better look better than Skyrim. Compare SSE to Witcher 3 since SSE is now a 64bit game and it still looks like dog shit compared to Witcher 3. Not even FO4 comes close.

The 64bit engine is doing all the work. All Bethesda did was port it over with the same flaws from Skyrim LE. Yeah, yeah, it's more stable. I can care less. That'll change when SKSE64 is out.