Centaur in the works, fully functional (update 04.05.2017 - nexus link pg 1)

XcOm04au

Oh, it works.  I've tested it on a few different computers and it works.  It's just that it needs a ton of custom animations and I'm only one person.  I'm still hopeful that we can get an alpha release out by the end of the month so people can see how it works. I've even started working on a tutorial on how to make a custom skeleton and Havok project.  But with the number of projects I am currently working on, it is slow going.

I wait, because after you finish the mod you may find time to finish those tutorials and answear questions regarding how did you make it work. You don't have time to answear those question when you have so many animations to do. :) So take your time. I can show you renders of my dragon if you're interested.

I do animations for fun in Blender and I took me countless hours to polish them, when weight painting decides to mess your work up a bit especially :P

Thats nice to hear and hows the four legged dragon?

On the head you have 4 straight horns sticking out from back of a skull. Eyes allow binocular vision. Neck and spine till hips are covered by huge scales simillar to skyrim's wyverns have on their necks with sticking out spikes. Spine has a shape of a bow (looking at if from its side) to support weight of an animal. It has a long and muscular tail without any spikes to balance the weight of front part of the body. Hind legs are longer and thicker than front limbs, they have 6 toes in total. Front limbs have paws similar to human hand with 3 fingers and a thumb. A wing arm has 3 fingers and a thumb. No elbow bones to carry wing's membrane in that area. The underside of the dragon is covered by crocodile shaped scales. The rest of of body is covered by small round scales. The colors are different shades of blue.

Oh,and is the front leg animating?

I haven't started animatiing this dragon for reasons I mentioned before.

I'll say this, first, you are right.  I'll hold off on trying to make a tutorial until I'm further along on the centaurs.  Second, the dragons will be much easier to do than my project.  They have way less animations to mess with and because you(from what it sounds like to me) aren't doing anything to the existing bones, it's possible you wouldn't have to mess with making a custom Havok project.  From what I understand(and I could be completely wrong on this) FNIS would work for your project and would be easier than trying to create a new Havok project.  Especially, since the skywind guy says working with flying creatures is extremely hard.

Edit: Now, on an unrelated matter.  One of the projects my team is working on is the Grahl.  We've already gotten it working, but we were wanting the statue pose so that we could make it look like it's a block of ice before it "comes alive" and attacks.  The problem is, I'm having a very hard time extracting the kf from the animation.  I used the vampire brute's hkx skeleton, and in hkxcmd.exe I extracted the kf.  But when I try to import it into 3ds max, it tells me invalid file format.  So, is there some special trick to exporting kf's for the vampires and gargoyles?

I'll say this, first, you are right.  I'll hold off on trying to make a tutorial until I'm further along on the centaurs.  Second, the dragons will be much easier to do than my project.  They have way less animations to mess with and because you(from what it sounds like to me) aren't doing anything to the existing bones, it's possible you wouldn't have to mess with making a custom Havok project.  From what I understand(and I could be completely wrong on this) FNIS would work for your project and would be easier than trying to create a new Havok project.  Especially, since the skywind guy says working with flying creatures is extremely hard.

I think I will have to make a custom skeleton, because my dragon has 6 limbs, so I can't use Skyrim dragon skeleton without changing it. Not sure what will that apply to modding process yet. I can't tell nor deny FNIS would make my work easier as well, however I can tell it'd make other people's life easier to add new animations to my dragon later.

I think I will have to make a custom skeleton, because my dragon has 6 limbs, so I can't use Skyrim dragon skeleton without changing it. Not sure what will that apply to modding process yet. I can't tell nor deny FNIS would make my work easier as well, however I can tell it'd make other people's life easier to add new animations to my dragon later.

Oh, I meant that you would be making a custom skeleton, but one that didn't remove the existing bones of the dragons.  By adding bones to the skeleton, you can still use the existing dragon behaviors and use FNIS to add your dragon's animations in.  But that is just hypothesis, I've never used FNIS beyond making a couple of other people's mods work.  I'll tell you what.  Once I've got the alpha release of the centaurs out, contact me in a PM and I'll work with you to get your dragons working.

Oh, I meant that you would be making a custom skeleton, but one that didn't remove the existing bones of the dragons.  By adding bones to the skeleton, you can still use the existing dragon behaviors and use FNIS to add your dragon's animations in.  But that is just hypothesis, I've never used FNIS beyond making a couple of other people's mods work.  I'll tell you what.  Once I've got the alpha release of the centaurs out, contact me in a PM and I'll work with you to get your dragons working.

....I like cheese

....I like cheese

Is that a joke that you don't understand what I was discussing? :)

....I like cheese

Is that a joke that you don't understand what I was discussing? :)

exactly haha

Oh, I meant that you would be making a custom skeleton, but one that didn't remove the existing bones of the dragons. By adding bones to the skeleton, you can still use the existing dragon behaviors and use FNIS to add your dragon's animations in. But that is just hypothesis, I've never used FNIS beyond making a couple of other people's mods work. I'll tell you what. Once I've got the alpha release of the centaurs out, contact me in a PM and I'll work with you to get your dragons working.

Thanks, I'll appreciate your help. However, due to the fact I'm student at Technical University I may not have a free time to work on this dragon all the time That's why I took me 2 months to improve the mesh and finish textures, drawing scales by hand was not fun xD I want that dragon to be a fallower similar to Faallokaar. The dragon which could move on the ground as easily as horse and use melee attacks or pinning down, you could ride on it too in the or on the ground. As you can see this is quite ambitious :D I'll send you a few renders in pm later.

Firstly finish your mod before starting working on new one ;)

Oh, I meant that you would be making a custom skeleton, but one that didn't remove the existing bones of the dragons. By adding bones to the skeleton, you can still use the existing dragon behaviors and use FNIS to add your dragon's animations in. But that is just hypothesis, I've never used FNIS beyond making a couple of other people's mods work. I'll tell you what. Once I've got the alpha release of the centaurs out, contact me in a PM and I'll work with you to get your dragons working.

Thanks, I'll appreciate your help. However, due to the fact I'm student at Technical University I may not have a free time to work on this dragon all the time That's why I took me 2 months to improve the mesh and finish textures, drawing scales by hand was not fun xD I want that dragon to be a fallower similar to Faallokaar. The dragon which could move on the ground as easily as horse and use melee attacks or pinning down, you could ride on it too in the or on the ground. As you can see this is quite ambitious :D I'll send you a few renders in pm later.

Firstly finish your mod before starting working on new one ;)

Got your PM, I sent back a reply already.  You'll need to make up a decision on what kind of project you are going for.

any constructive discussion is a good discussion. Anything that pushes the community to participate is an achievement in itself :)

btw check my this out? https://chan.sankakucomplex.com/post/show/5868996  something I threw together quickly...is it OK>?

What female body is that?

I must admit its a mishmash of stuff, but mainly if you get CBBE + GUK + sweat texture + ENB, you will get something that looks close

any constructive discussion is a good discussion. Anything that pushes the community to participate is an achievement in itself :)

btw check my this out? https://chan.sankakucomplex.com/post/show/5868996  something I threw together quickly...is it OK>?

I must admit its a mishmash of stuff, but mainly if you get CBBE + GUK + sweat texture + ENB, you will get something that looks close

Could you send it to me?

Could you send it to me?

Check your PM

Now back to Centaurs....One time at band camp, this centaur....

I was hoping people got the "one time at band camp" reference....dang, my humor fell on deaf ears :(

I got it, that's why I asked about the flute.

Update, well, RL has slowed down the animations for me.  I still have a chance to finish the 1h animations before the end of the month, but it's a real stretch. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I was wondering, is it possible to import human animations for the top half and import horse animations and stitch together or is that too simple?

if the skeleton has the same shape and the nodes have the same name* it is possible to copy parts of a animation**, but it can be a bitch to do and strange things can happen (eg: nodes spin 720 degrees)

*nodes can be renamed to match your skeleton before you copy the animation.

**unless you are using ik solvers in your skeleton, they will override any imported animations for the nodes they are controlling.

Archived