I find SMP to have better performance than HDT PE.

True, but I also read that it isn't as good a HDT yet.

Seems to be better from what I can tell.

Well, HDT-SMP is indeed technically better than the Standard HDT, because it's mesh-based, which means collisions should be way more accurate than the bone-based ones in Standard. The problem with SMP is that it requires some specific CPU/GPU and OpenGL specs and versions that may not work on all setups, and it also it is very unsupported.

There are some SMP packs available in the HDT Downloads section, but... With due respect to the authors, they seem to be too sloppy for my taste, just like the Clams of Skyrim mod (which is not supported by Caliente but rather by a third party). Also they don't seem to include proper Bodyslide/UUNP support, and the only UUNP option they offer seems to be a hackjob of pasting the Clams pussy into the default UUNP Special base shape after removing Special's own bits and without even the slightest tweak to the body to better fit it, so it looks bad.

TL;DR: IMHO while SMP is technically better, the lack of proper support and documentation mean it's better to stick to Standard HDT with the UUNP Special body (Or Clams of Skyrim if you use CBBE).

But before we start thinking about HDT alternatives, BadDog should try out the skeleton thing I mentioned. I'm pretty sure it is either the main cause of his issues, or one of the main contributing factors. HDT does hit performance but not that much, and the issues with XPMSE and old/non-updated XMLs was pretty common when XPMSE was recent and the authors of the XMLs had not updated their files yet, so I bet the skeleton here is to blame (though I can be wrong, of course).

I find SMP to have better performance than HDT PE.

What SMP mods do you use?

Right now just the AIO package + modified bad dogs schlongs to be compatible.

Oh, okay. I checked and could only find a DIY tutorial which requires work in NifSkope and wont do. I'll probably adopt it once it has more support.

Seems to be better from what I can tell.

so I bet the skeleton here is to blame (though I can be wrong, of course).

XPMS or Bad Dogs modified digi/plantigrade ones? Had no problem with his XPMSE Digitigrade one from "Complete Khajiit."

As far as I know, BadDog uses the older XP32 skeleton on his setup, but he also posted a XPMSE patch for those of us that use XPMSE (which I assume is the one you use as well).

The thing is, during the jump in version from XP32 to XPMSE, something about some nodes changed that would cause some brutal FPS loss when using HDT and a collision/bounce XML that had not been updated for the new skeleton yet (I'm not sure what it was, Groovtama would have to answer that question).

What I think it's happening is that the opposite also applies (read: trying to use the XP32 skeleton with a newer XML built for XPMSE causes the very same bug), so I said BadDog should try doing a clean install of XPMSE (this is very important so the proper behaviour and rig map files are installed and updated) and replacing his XP32 digi skeletons with the XPMSE ones from the patch. If it fixes his frame drops, then we'll know it was a skeleton issue, and if it doesn't, then we can look into other possible issues.

Edited by Blaze69

Since blaze mentioned after doing this, I will be making the Sabercat and Tiger heads from those meshes as a base so Bad Dog doesn't have to. Most of the work has already been done and such edits could be done in a day for both and will be uploaded as an obj modders recourse file in the link above and can be edited if need be. Just like the meshes in the link, it will need texture edits for the nose. The nose may be edited for the sabercat and tiger models.

@Nightro, cool. Looking forward to seeing it.

Could be the XMPSE problem. I'll give that I try. Next up in my modding-tools catagory is a nif spell to convert a skeleton to digitigrade so I don't have to keep doing it by hand. I'll try to pull that together at the time I port the HDT stuff into YA.

Also, saw the collisions working on my uncut schlong last night. So progress is being made. I'm guessing at how to modify the XML files so the argonian has no ball collisions and both argonian and sheath have collisions only when erect. I'll put a test version up on the hoodies thread when I have those ready.

Would making the tails HDT be a pain in the ass? I don't like the way it looks when they poke through the ground or other people during animations.

Would you rather it act like a piece of cloth and spaz out? Because that is what HDT does to tails and is much worse in my opinion. Would probably require something better than HDT.

As I understand it tail animations are separate from body animations, but synchronized with them. It would be cool to do animations for the different, uh, specialized animations that YA players use. Figuring out animations is on my list from way back when we were talking about crouching with digi feet.

Would making the tails HDT be a pain in the ass? I don't like the way it looks when they poke through the ground or other people during animations.

Would you rather it act like a piece of cloth and spaz out? Because that is what HDT does to tails and is much worse in my opinion. Would probably require something better than HDT.

I know it looks pretty bad when running around and stuff, but yeah during an animation I'd rather have it flop out of the way or lay limp against the ground.

Since blaze mentioned after doing this, I will be making the Sabercat and Tiger heads from those meshes as a base so Bad Dog doesn't have to. Most of the work has already been done and such edits could be done in a day for both and will be uploaded as an obj modders recourse file in the link above and can be edited if need be. Just like the meshes in the link, it will need texture edits for the nose. The nose may be edited for the sabercat and tiger models.

I think I'll do a cheetah too. I'll have to make normal maps for it too though, in order to give it some frizzy fur at the top of the head. I haven't started on the extra heads yet though. I'm waiting for more feedback for a v1.1 so I can use those as a base.

I've found that Rayya (the Falkreath housecarl for Lakeview manor) still has a human head. She is the only one with this issue. Does anyone else have this?

Not sure if it's because I use the Apachii Hair patch for NPCs on top of the default Yiffy Age Faces pack, but for me Rayya shows up fine with the proper tiger head ingame.

Can someone do me a favor? My Skyrim  is out of commission for a while and I need to see if someone can repeat this bug by talking to a Khajiit with the mod installed, but not with SSE. Maybe spawn one via console command.

I'm assuming that it is a bug that was already present in "Citrus Heads" and the only mods that use it are Race mods and Maybe follower mods if they don't also use a race mod. Worst case it's something that can't be resolved and I would have to turn it into something like an "Improved Khajiit Race" mod.

Can someone do me a favor? My Skyrim  is out of commission for a while and I need to see if someone can repeat this bug by talking to a Khajiit with the mod installed, but not with SSE. Maybe spawn one via console command.

I'm assuming that it is a bug that was already present in "Citrus Heads" and the only mods that use it are Race mods and Maybe follower mods if they don't also use a race mod. Worst case it's something that can't be resolved and I would have to turn it into something like an "Improved Khajiit Race" mod.

Oh, crap. I had forgotten about that. Yeah, I know what it's about.

What happens is that the exported FaceGen for the Khajiit NPCs still uses the vanilla head meshes, but the .tri files are replaced with the CITRUS ones. Thus, heads and tris don't match, and morphs don't work. Your bug right there.

It should not cause crashes, though. The worst that can happen (and what should happen) is that NPC heads remain static and don't animate, but I can't think of any reason for the game to crash due to that. Maybe it's a SSE specific thing? Also, I think I heard something about tri files having changed in some way when compared to Legendary, so that may be the cause as well (though not 100% sure on that).

Anyway, the way to fix it is to export new FaceGen data for all Khajiit NPCs with your edited heads and pack it with the mod. Should be easy to do, and shouldn't take much time because there is only a limited number of Khajiit NPCs in the game (something like 20, 25? 30 tops, and I'm sure I'm off by a fair amount). I can take care of that for you just fine, but it's better to wait for the final heads to be done so I only have to export it once. So let me know when you are ready and I'll get it done  :shy:.

Sorry for the off-topic, BTW.

Oh, crap. I had forgotten about that. Yeah, I know what it's about.

What happens is that the exported FaceGen for the Khajiit NPCs still uses the vanilla head meshes, but the .tri files are replaced with the CITRUS ones. Thus, heads and tris don't match, and morphs don't work. Your bug right there.

It should not cause crashes, though. The worst that can happen (and what should happen) is that NPC heads remain static and don't animate, but I can't think of any reason for the game to crash due to that. Maybe it's a SSE specific thing? Also, I think I heard something about tri files having changed in some way when compared to Legendary, so that may be the cause as well (though not 100% sure on that).

Anyway, the way to fix it is to export new FaceGen data for all Khajiit NPCs with your edited heads and pack it with the mod. Should be easy to do, and shouldn't take much time because there is only a limited number of Khajiit NPCs in the game (something like 20, 25? 30 tops, and I'm sure I'm off by a fair amount). I can take care of that for you just fine, but it's better to wait for the final heads to be done so I only have to export it once. So let me know when you are ready and I'll get it done  :shy:.

Sorry for the off-topic, BTW.

Thank you very much!  BTW, not off topic because Bad Dog will likely be using the recourse heads (as somewhat requested by you). And considering the nature of his mod, I don't mind him using the main heads either. He has full permission. So as far as I'm concerned, this is part of his Yiffy Age project.

By the way, won't the mod be incompatible with mods that add khajiit NPCs at their default like guards for example and maybe khajiit follower mods unless support is added? Or are they usually packed with their own (game default) head mesh and face gen data, etc?

Hey, just wanted to post a quick heads-up: I've been tinkering with Blender and tri files, and I've found a way to edit the base shape and force the shape keys/morphs to be properly updated and applied on the new shape. This means the look of the morphs in Blender should be an exact match of the end result ingame, so we can edit the morphs and phonemes easily.

BadDog, you said if you finally implemented the whole Sabrecat thing (for Orcs or any other race), you would like to add some custom mouth chargen options and so on as well, right? Then editing the tris using this method should allow you to do just that, both edit existing morphs to make them fit the head/mouth/teeth better and also add brand new options to the RaceMenu Shape sliders (like the ones for "eyes" or "mouth" or whatever).

Edited by Blaze69

Very cool. Write it up or whatever and I'll have a look. Maybe if I can't fix the problem with the kids' heads any other way I can make this work with them, too.

Sabrecat mouths: regular, broken tooth, different lengths on a slider if possible.

Very cool. Write it up or whatever and I'll have a look. Maybe if I can't fix the problem with the kids' heads any other way I can make this work with them, too.

Well, basically first you need to have the edited head mesh with the new shape, but you must do so by changing only the shape without altering the vertex count and order. You can ask Nightro about more info on that because he successfully edited the Argonian head for the sharks using that method.

Remember that it's better to work with OBJs (using the import settings I detailed in this post), unless you have the modified head mesh in Blender already. Since Nightro said he will be uploading the resource meshes for the Sabrecat, Tiger and (IIRC) Cheetah heads and mouths as OBJs, you can either import those straight away or wait for me to get them ingame and get the OBJs out of NifSkope using the game-ready nifs (which IMO may be a better idea because then we can be 100% sure that is how they look ingame).

Once you have the heads and/or mouths in Blender, you then need to use the TRI scripts I linked here to open the corresponding .tri files. It doesn't matter if the edited mesh and the one from the .tri are not in the same position, we only need the vertex count and order to match. Then, you do this:

1. Select the edited head first, and then the .tri.
  2. Go to the Shape Key list, click on the downwards arrow below the minus sign, and select "Join as Shapes". If everything worked fine, a new Shape Key should appear at the end of the SK list that should should morph the original .tri mesh into the new one (position included).
  3. Select the Base Shape from the list (top of the shape key list) and change to Edit Mode.
  4. Press Spacebar, type "Blend from Shape" in the search bar untill you find the option, and click on it.
  5. Go to the menu on the left, click on "Base Shape", and search the list for the new Shape Key you just created (the list is ordered alphabetically, so don't just go to the bottom but rather search for the proper shape name).
  6. The base shape should change into the new one (again, the position will change as well if they were not originally in the same place),
  7. Try applying the other shape keys to make sure they are properly applied on the new shape without distortions or anything like that.
  8. Select the new shape key you created and remove it from the list using the minus sign.

That should be it. You then make sure you have the .tri mesh selected, and use the Export->Export a tri file option to save the tri.

I just tried it editing the .tri files for the shark heads to change the base shape from the original Argonian shape into the new shark one and it worked fine, so you should be good to go doing this.

Sabrecat mouths: regular, broken tooth, different lengths on a slider if possible.

Yeah, should be possible to do it by adding new "Mouth Shape" morphs to the CharGen tri file for the mouth and head meshes, and fitting them to your tastes.

Bear in mind the mouth mesh is pretty low poly, though, so you may not be able to get much variation for the teeth, but you should be able to at least add a few options  :shy:.

EDIT: You could in fact set everything up so that the teeth length (for the sabre teeth, at least) is controlled by a slider, but for that you would need to either overwrite one of the vanilla sliders for chin length or whatever with the teeth length one, OR use RaceMenu to add it as an extra morph (which would make RM a requirement to access that slider but would leave vanilla sliders untouched).

While a slider would offer the best customizability, I think it would be easier to add different teeth lengths as "Mouth Shape" options first, just like with Orcs. Then, if you want we can revisit the slider idea at a later point.

Edited by Blaze69

Yeah, should be possible to do it by adding new "Mouth Shape" morphs to the CharGen tri file for the mouth and head meshes, and fitting them to your tastes.

Bear in mind the mouth mesh is pretty low poly, though, so you may not be able to get much variation for the teeth, but you should be able to at least add a few options  :shy:.

EDIT: You could in fact set everything up so that the teeth length (for the sabre teeth, at least) is controlled by a slider, but for that you would need to either overwrite one of the vanilla sliders for chin length or whatever with the teeth length one, OR use RaceMenu to add it as an extra morph (which would make RM a requirement to access that slider but would leave vanilla sliders untouched).

While a slider would offer the best customizability, I think it would be easier to add different teeth lengths as "Mouth Shape" options first, just like with Orcs. Then, if you want we can revisit the slider idea at a later point.

You can take a look at the teeth I made with variations that I uploaded here.  As far as the low poly teeth mesh goes, the K9s are a rather simple shape. Making them large should not be a problem with the mesh. Definitely expect to make new textures though, because they will be stretched out as F***k unless it's in comparison to Khajiit vampires. Wonder what Sabercat vampires look like?

With all the talk about Sabercats lately, I find it funny that I ended up going to the La Brea Tar Pits today and got a pretty good three dimentional look at the Smilodon teeth and skulls. Their smaller than I thought. Around the same size as a female lion and just found out that America used to have giant leopards that are bigger than male lions too.