Is fallout 4 a Fallout game or did they lose track?

I sadly must agree with you Outlast1, but I still hope that updates/DLC's and quest overhaul mods will make it at least tolerable to play, and of course I would love to see some kinky action in this upgraded engine  :P

P.S. If Bethesda will go even more this road with FO5/TES6 then FO4/Skyrim Remaster will be the last game I will play from them for sure, cuz I don't like/play shooters like FC4 or CoD, or even Sims lol

If anyone tries to argue that this is a true RPG, I'll hunt you down and bite your toes off with my sharp little teeth! *chomp, chomp, chomp*

Since nothing can be a true or false RPG, every toe will be safe. Something either is an RPG or it is not, simple as that.

That being said, moaning over a game that is now 7+ months out is something that is almost exclusive to games Bethesda does so it shall be called the Bethesda Grief Cycle henceforth. Normally the life cycle of a game roughly looks like this:

Game gets released, a broad audience voices their opinion. Depending on several factors, the bulk of opinions will either be positive, negative or anything inbetween.

Game gets older, the general interest plummets and sometimes, a small but dedicated community forms. Those people are usually people that enjoy the game because if you didn't like it, chances are you have moved on to a new one that you do enjoy. Because who would spend time on something they don't enjoy if they don't have to, right?

Well, with Bethesda's games it's always a little different. With each game there's always a couple of people who will relentlessly pursue their obsession about how bad the new game is. Happened with Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim and now Fallout 4. To a point where everyone will agree with each other as long as the conclusion is the game is bad, doesn't matter how you get there or if some of the points made by another person even contradict yours - just the conclusion matters. I don't know how they did it, but Bethesda is apparently run by geniuses if they are able to ignite something that resembles a religious cult with each of their games.

Fallout games lose track since fallout 3, retarded story, bad leveling and skill system, it's more like a spin off than fallout tactic.

Then comes fallout nv, which put it back to its track a bit, but Beth comes with fallout 4 and say fuck it.

Beth never could tell difference between fallout or TES, they make good RPG like TES, but they seem never could get a feel of fallout right.

Game gets older, the general interest plummets and sometimes, a small but dedicated community forms. Those people are usually people that enjoy the game because if you didn't like it, chances are you have moved on to a new one that you do enjoy. Because who would spend time on something they don't enjoy if they don't have to, right?

Well, it's more a case of I've moved back to games I still enjoy. But broadly speaking, yes.

Well, with Bethesda's games it's always a little different. With each game there's always a couple of people who will relentlessly pursue their obsession about how bad the new game is. Happened with Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim and now Fallout 4.

Well, yes. I find that Fallout 4 failed in interesting ways. If you list what it does well, it seems as though it ought to be a much better game than I find it to be when I actually play it. So I talk about and argue and defend my opinions and in doing so I quite often find myself having to reconsider my position and thereby come to a deeper understanding of the subject.

Of course, I could just try and demonize all dissenting opinion by portraying them as shallow, obsessive and motivated by hatred ... but what would I learn from that?

To a point where everyone will agree with each other as long as the conclusion is the game is bad, doesn't matter how you get there or if some of the points made by another person even contradict yours - just the conclusion matters.

I don't know about that - there's a lot that Fallout 4 does right. The settlement system is fun; the synergies between the perks and crafting are well thought out; the Special system at least allows you to build a character for a certain play-style, a marked improvement on Skyrim's system which encourages you to play the same build every time through. There's a lot to like about the game. That's maybe why I find its failings so striking.

That said, you're not entirely wrong. I still grumble about Skyrim at times. The stupid four-slot armour system has been mitigated by modders over time, but I still regret the way they gutted magic so they could have more shouts and I already mentioned the way the lack of classes and Oblivion style attributes means your characters tend to converge on your play-style. The difference is that Skyrim was fun enough that I'm still playing it despite those flaws. I still grumble about Oblivion's lack of teleport and flight spells for that matter, but I still play that, too.

By contrast, Fallout 4 couldn't hold my attention for three months. And I find that more interesting than I ever found the actual game.

I don't know how they did it, but Bethesda is apparently run by geniuses if they are able to ignite something that resembles a religious cult with each of their games.

Yeah, yeah. I'm not conforming particularly well with the overly-broad, negative generalization you're trying to build, am I? I'll shut up and let you get on with it.

Guest endgameaddiction

I dunno about other people but I love picking on this game. I can care less anymore about the franchise and this game. I do enjoy the negative reviews though. And I enjoy stirring up the butthurt people because they always want to defend everything about this game, and they want to push out anyone who has a different or more so the opposite opinion of how they feel about the game.

[snip]

For all those that have eyes to see and ears to hear Bethesda has already taken these zealots for a settler ride in Fallout 4, probably the only practicable way in which a game company can handle the negative phenomenon.

I can care less anymore about the franchise and this game.

Either that's not true or you simply post for the sake about getting a reaction out of people, which is the definition of a troll, I shit you not.

@DocClox: I don't want to do another quote war. Splitting a post into fractions and then writing a whole paragraph on each of them makes a discussion very, very tiresome to follow. Not to mention it's a cheap way of diverting attention from the original intention of the post.

Guest endgameaddiction

I do love it when mortals know they're being manipulated. It makes things infinitely more interesting.

The settlement system is fun

You are completely insane.

Probably. But I still enjoy settlement building. Defending them when I'm deep in a dungeon or the middle of the Glowing Sea, less so. But basically building the towns was something I always enjoyed.

YMMV, obviously.

I haven't played any FO games before (aside from like 30 min at the beginning of FONV), and I still found FO4 to be a very boring empty game, doing the main quest was the only thing semi interesting, after that the game felt so empty, no places to explore, nothing to find, the glowing sea was a big disappointment to me, maybe I was expecting too much, I don't know. But the fact that you couldn't make your own weapon, armor, ammunition, really took the fun out of it for me. Legendary item hunt was such a chore, a lame chore may I add, I don't know. 

I guess part of is because I like the fantasy setting more, like, I had 10 times more fun with vanilla skyrim than with FO4. There was always something to find in a skyrim dungeon, being it a shout, a cool artifact, or a dragon priest mask; in FO4 only the boobleheads that are just a free level up, or a magazine that adds a pasive perk you probably you won't even notice, and that's is, since weapons are from random legendary enemy spawning.

I haven't played any FO games before (aside from like 30 min at the beginning of FONV), and I still found FO4 to be a very boring empty game, doing the main quest was the only thing semi interesting, after that the game felt so empty, no places to explore, nothing to find, the glowing sea was a big disappointment to me, maybe I was expecting too much, I don't know. But the fact that you couldn't make your own weapon, armor, ammunition, really took the fun out of it for me. Legendary item hunt was such a chore, a lame chore may I add, I don't know. 

I guess part of is because I like the fantasy setting more, like, I had 10 times more fun with vanilla skyrim than with FO4. There was always something to find in a skyrim dungeon, being it a shout, a cool artifact, or a dragon priest mask; in FO4 only the boobleheads that are just a free level up, or a magazine that adds a pasive perk you probably you won't even notice, and that's is, since weapons are from random legendary enemy spawning.

It's weird for me when people say that because the crafting and enchanting system made exploration literally pointless because you could craft and enchant armor and weapons that would outclass any unique or artifact by a magnitude that isn't even funny. Dragon Shouts were mostly uninteresting as well, there were a few good ones like Marked for Death or Slow Time but the brunt of the shouts were hot garbage and barely of any use.

Not to mention that the basic gameplay, especially melee was bland and boring as hell.

It's weird for me when people say that because the crafting and enchanting system made exploration literally pointless because you could craft and enchant armor and weapons that would outclass any unique or artifact by a magnitude that isn't even funny. Dragon Shouts were mostly uninteresting as well, there were a few good ones like Marked for Death or Slow Time but the brunt of the shouts were hot garbage and barely of any use.

Not to mention that the basic gameplay, especially melee was bland and boring as hell.

I completely agree, but I discovered that after becoming familiar with it, I was talking on the grounds of my first experience.

Here's another good one.

I approve of this video. It succinctly explains what's good and bad about FO4. What those are, however, is very subjective. One of those things I personally don't like is how skills were eliminated for an awkward perk system. It's nonsensical and completely unfaithful to the five previous titles (even Tactics was more Fallout than this game; I deny BOS even exists). Another is how the story is forced on us; we can't get around it or its predetermined paths. It's also one of the most shallow plots I've ever seen in a game in over thirty-two years of video gaming.

The improved combat is nice but when it's the only choice nine times out of ten, where in the past we could use Intelligence or Charisma or skills to get out of situations without bloodshed, it gets old. Those same two stats are now all but useless except where they relate to combat. What's even the point of putting points into them when we just end up killing everyone who crosses us? The high-end perks don't even work seven out of eight times.

And as the narrator said himself, things were optimized for console play using console-style controls. The dialogue most obviously, but the quick slots as well use certain keys and can't be changed to perform other functions. I'm sure there's a way to change that without third party programs, but it's a bad sign when it's not an option right out of the box. We can't even reassign settlement building controls to compensate which is another negative.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. This is just my opinion. For those who like it, more power to you. For those of us that don't, this is why I personally don't like it.

Archived