Graphics Card

If thinking about 1080 wait for custom coolers the founders edition has trouble with thermal throttling

Exactly, no one ever buys the reference card. I saw a report that the Asus 1080 strix should be available in the next week or two. A lot of people are waiting for the 1080 FTW as that will have dual 8 pin connectors and some people feel with that you'll have better overclocking.

If thinking about 1080 wait for custom coolers the founders edition has trouble with thermal throttling

Exactly, no one ever buys the reference card. I saw a report that the Asus 1080 strix should be available in the next week or two. A lot of people are waiting for the 1080 FTW as that will have dual 8 pin connectors and some people feel with that you'll have better overclocking.

Uhhh... no one buys a reference? Sure, tell that to people with water blocks....

im grabbing a 1080. as soon as im sure EK has a waterblock for them.....

update... waterblock .......check! 1080gtx founders check!.......empty bank account ....fuck it ! CHECK!

Hope you like it.

I probably will not be getting a 1080, if anything I would get another 980TI for SLI purposes if I really wanted to. 

My CPU and Ram needs upgrading more so than the marginal increase in performance I can get from one 1080 as I already have a 980ti. 

But then I am gonna have to get a bigger case and a new motherboard :(

I probably will not be getting a 1080, if anything I would get another 980TI for SLI purposes if I really wanted to. 

My CPU and Ram needs upgrading more so than the marginal increase in performance I can get from one 1080 as I already have a 980ti. 

But then I am gonna have to get a bigger case and a new motherboard :(

I don't think it's a big enough upgrade since you have TI, unless you got money like that. TI's are going very reasonable now that the 1080's are out.

The vast vast VAST majority of people whom purchase graphic cards buy the reference, by an order of magnitude over anything else.

sli

Sli is a dead end, it's time has quite literally come and gone. Buying a more powerful single card is always the better long term option even with high band sli bridging.

Lol why would anyone consider AMD at this point? Benchmarks for the 1080 came out the other day and 390x Fury was blown to pieces by it, even the Titan X couldn't keep up. AMD has yet to pull a miracle out their asses.

Been looking occasionally on ebuyer.com and at the moment it seems that for the same amount (£300ish) you can get a nvidia 970 4GB or an AMD R390 8GB (for a 8GB nvidia card you are looking at around £550-600) and while the memory speeds etc are all slower for the AMD cards i do wonder if the difference in memory is enough to make up for it

Actually a nVidia 970 has two sets of memory. The first and more important is a 3,5 GB of GDDR5 and the second (used only if the first set is full) is a weak 512 MB of DDR3 (far more slower). So, if you want true 4 BG of GDDR5, and a nVidia card, go pick the GTX 980.

Uhhh... no one buys a reference? Sure, tell that to people with water blocks....

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/phanteks-water-cooling-computex-g1080,31929.html

https://www.ekwb.com/news/ek-unveils-new-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-water-blocks/

GTX 980 < GTX 980 TI < Titan X < GTX 1080.

400$ < 500$ < 1000$ < 1000$

And 1080 is at best 10% stronger than 980ti so what is the point?

I don't have a TI so for me that's the point but trust me I'm not overpaying either. Could have bought a Zotac reference from MicroCenter yesterday for $699, is that $1000 the overseas price? Plus we were talking about the Tom's hardware rule of at least three steps up in your graphics card purchase. 

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/61957-graphics-card/?p=1570063

Good reference or not, I don't know, but I used GPUBoss (http://gpuboss.com/compare-gpus) and CPUBoss (http://cpuboss.com/compare-cpus) as some reference points during my pre-build planning/research.  https://www.cpubenchmark.net/ was the other major source for finding performance/price comparisons.

Right now the only benchmark anyone has done with a non reference card is JayzTwoCents and the only game he benched was Doom on 4K that I know of. It all boils down to what monitor are you going to run. IMO a GTX 1080/1070 is overkill for 1440p. A 980 or 980TI will do just fine as right now I'm running two 980's with a 1440p. I plan on jumping to 4K so that's why I'm upgrading but if anyone has a 980 TI I don't think they should upgrade unless they just want to. Hey, it's their money.

Just bought a Sapphire Radeon 380x this year for a new pc build so its way too early to jump ship as yet. I'll probably

wait and see how Vega or Navi turns out, and then wait for the price drop before upgrading again. Interesting in seeing

how HBM2 competes.

Just bought a Sapphire Radeon 380x this year for a new pc build so its way too early to jump ship as yet. I'll probably

wait and see how Vega or Navi turns out, and then wait for the price drop before upgrading again. Interesting in seeing

how HBM2 competes.

That's a good move actually. Toms Hardware's rule is upgrade your card at least three steps unless you just got money like that. As an Nvidia user for now it's a three step jump for me to go with the 1080 but how long does a person wait? Nvidia fanboys are saying wait for the TI, then the 1180 or whatever it is will be out and then people will say wait for the 1180 TI and so on and so on. If people did that you'd never buy a video card because you'll be constantly waiting for the next big thing. There's always going to be a faster processor, a faster video card and faster HDD, it is what it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 1080 got it last night it runs amazing! I tried it on skyrim with a bunch of mods I was getting stable 60fps easy with jk skyrim mod in cities. I also tried it on Black Desert with everything set as high as possible and was getting stable 95 fps it really is amazing and no the temps are great it runs 50c with skyrim running.

Archived