Graphics Card

Erm.....track records.  

Nvidia drivers have not fully utilized the new flagship cards for the last several years.  They are getting more and more like Microsoft in their mentality.  Push hardware out and then write software for it.  For fuck's sake, let's not forget that Nvidia pushed out drivers that fried cards not so long ago.  I was one of the unfortunates that happened to.  While they did ship me a new card for free.......I was without a computer for a freaking month due to it.  

The sad thing is they still kick the shit out of AMD.  Which really annoys me........ :P

Erm.....track records.  

Nvidia drivers have not fully utilized the new flagship cards for the last several years.  They are getting more and more like Microsoft in their mentality.  Push hardware out and then write software for it.  For fuck's sake, let's not forget that Nvidia pushed out drivers that fried cards not so long ago.  I was one of the unfortunates that happened to.  While they did ship me a new card for free.......I was without a computer for a freaking month due to it.  

The sad thing is they still kick the shit out of AMD.  Which really annoys me........ :P

Jesus i can only remember when I had a 7850. The drivers were cancer. Always fucking me over. Every game I played would lag ass, or would just freeze the computer. I couldn't even overclock it because the drivers kept putting it back to its default clock speed.

I might sound like a green fanboy but lets be honest here. AMD hasn't been able to keep up since its R9 200-300 series. I mean yes. Nvidia drivers can be a cunt at times. But AMD drivers proved to be far worse to many.

Erm.....track records.  

Always downclock to reference just before installing new drivers, will avoid brickeration unless something is really really wrong with the drivers, even if your card's nominal clocks are higher than stock.

I have actually a Sapphire 380x Nitro which is pretty discreet, even in game (full charge). I plan to check the future Vega graphic cards and, if ny own budget permits me to do so, buy one of them. AMD Crmison drivers are really good.

Faster clock speeds, higher TDP, smaller die. More heat, less dissipation. I'm sure this answers the question why their "reference" cards now come with special coolers.

What? Their reference cards have the same cooler everyone of their past reference cards have had. Its nothing new. The heat issue will most likely be solved with their board partners as i said before.

Have you even heard about the "Founders Edition" (aka the new reference card) which costs $100 more than the MSRP? Guess what, it has a vapor chamber cooler unlike previous reference cards.

Yes i have. And yes it is the same cooler its nothing new AT ALL. The GTX 980 Reference Model had the same thing.

I run a custom ENB that utilize some pretty crazy lighting based on this which will pretty much crush anything that isn't as beefy as a Titan or Ti, at 1080 with a single titan you can run NLA or K at 60 frames, which is all you'll ever run Skyrim at. Uncapping it runs at about 90 frames. You can still run it at 1440 and hit 60, so a 1080 should be able to hit that just fine.

to hit 4K@60, you're gonna need big Pascal or two 1080s.

I'm pretty impressed with the benchmarks of the 1080 so far.  I really want to get one this summer, hopefully with EVGA's ACX cooler.  But how well does it fare in a heavily modded Skyrim with a quality ENB like Tetrachromatic or NLA?

Considering I use that ENB with a ton of other mods with the 980 TI, I would say the 1080 will fare perfectly fine :P

I'm pretty impressed with the benchmarks of the 1080 so far. I really want to get one this summer, hopefully with EVGA's ACX cooler. But how well does it fare in a heavily modded Skyrim with a quality ENB like Tetrachromatic or NLA?

Speaking of that card JayTwoCents has a video in his YouTube channel of one 1080 with the ACX 3.0 cooler playing Doom 4K ultra and maintaining a solid 60fps and his card over clock didn't go over 67 degrees I think. 4K is here as far as I'm concerned and I'm upgrading as soon as the non reference cards are public. As far as a heavily modded skyrim with that enb, that's my current game and I've read that if you use Windows 8 or higher only 4gb of vram will get used. My current card only has 4gb so I don't know if it's true or not. But I'm pretty stable and don't crash much also remember to keep your monitor at 60fps. Skyrim does weird things once you go higher. For me the upgrade is worth it and it follows a three step rule as mentioned. I currently have two 980's in sli.

GTX 980 < GTX 980 TI < Titan X < GTX 1080.

I'm pretty impressed with the benchmarks of the 1080 so far. I really want to get one this summer, hopefully with EVGA's ACX cooler. But how well does it fare in a heavily modded Skyrim with a quality ENB like Tetrachromatic or NLA?

Speaking of that card JayTwoCents has a video in his YouTube channel of one 1080 with the ACX 3.0 cooler playing Doom 4K ultra and maintaining a solid 60fps and his card over clock didn't go over 67 degrees I think. 4K is here as far as I'm concerned and I'm upgrading as soon as the non reference cards are public. As far as a heavily modded skyrim with that enb, that's my current game and I've read that if you use Windows 8 or higher only 4gb of vram will get used. My current card only has 4gb so I don't know if it's true or not. But I'm pretty stable and don't crash much also remember to keep your monitor at 60fps. Skyrim does weird things once you go higher. For me the upgrade is worth it and it follows a three step rule as mentioned. I currently have two 980's in sli.

Well thats where i got those benchmarks I posted from...

Well thats where i got those benchmarks I posted from...

No, Jayz put up a new one today with a gtx 1080 sc with the ACX 3.0 cooler not the FE or reference or whatever they're calling it. 

Lol why would anyone consider AMD at this point? Benchmarks for the 1080 came out the other day and 390x Fury was blown to pieces by it, even the Titan X couldn't keep up. AMD has yet to pull a miracle out their asses.

Been looking occasionally on ebuyer.com and at the moment it seems that for the same amount (£300ish) you can get a nvidia 970 4GB or an AMD R390 8GB (for a 8GB nvidia card you are looking at around £550-600) and while the memory speeds etc are all slower for the AMD cards i do wonder if the difference in memory is enough to make up for it

Lol why would anyone consider AMD at this point? Benchmarks for the 1080 came out the other day and 390x Fury was blown to pieces by it, even the Titan X couldn't keep up. AMD has yet to pull a miracle out their asses.

Been looking occasionally on ebuyer.com and at the moment it seems that for the same amount (£300ish) you can get a nvidia 970 4GB or an AMD R390 8GB (for a 8GB nvidia card you are looking at around £550-600) and while the memory speeds etc are all slower for the AMD cards i do wonder if the difference in memory is enough to make up for it

It depends on what you play and your monitors resolution. To me if you're just using a 1080p monitor the 4gb is plenty. I currently have a 1440 with two 980 strix which are 4gb as the memory doesn't stack and the only game I ran out of memory in Max settings was Batman but it was a terribly done port of the console game so that might not mean anything in that case. I've heard that GTA 5 can use a lot but I wouldn't know. I finished on ps3 so no need to be on my PC. 

Archived