41 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

If you want to do that then you may as well just install a hair mod.

You must be doing something wrong as the mod works for everyone else.

You have downloaded the correct files haven't you? The ones you need are: Prettier Bandits v0.9.1 - this is the main file and weighs in at over 1GB. You will also need Prettier Bandits v0.9.2  - is a patch and so just an esp.

Yes, I downloaded everything. This happens only with outcasts, I noticed, everything is fine with the rest.

1 hour ago, EinarrTheRed said:

It may be the ENB but that face does not look like one I made.

The mod does not change skin texture of the face, it uses whatever skin texture you have installed for both the face or the body.  I personally use Bijin's skin texture but it should work with just about any of them out there.  It does change the face tint mask, which is the additional layer that adds the make up (eye shadow, lip color, etc) and tattoos (if any) and dirt (which I generally removed).  It looks to me as if something has replaced the tintmask and face geometry data and that's causing the mismatch.

Find that bandit, open console and in the lower left corner find where it says ID and BaseID.  Write down and let me know what that BaseID is.  That will tell me exactly which bandit that is and I will look up the corresponding facegendata and tintmask and explain where to find those and you can delete them, that should eliminate the problem.

If I'm correct and that is the problem then you had something install some loose facegen data for bandits and that data is still there and causing the conflict.  The simplest solution for that would be to re-export the facegen data from Prettier Bandits so that it overwrites whatever errant data has been left in your game files, that will require using CK and about 30 min of time but is otherwise easy to do.

Here's how:

• Open the mod in Creation Kit
  • In the Object Window in the box next to Filter input PB_
  • Now look in the Actor folder in the Object Window, this will filter the list so that you just see all the PB actors (NPCs)
  • Select all of them.
  • Press Control+F4
  • Wait 15-30 min (depending on how fast your computer is) for it to process all the files.
  • When it is finished you will get a popup msg box that says Done.  Click the Ok button.
  • Close CK, you do not need to save before closing.
  • You have re-exported all the facegen data in loose form and that will overwrite any conflicting data, this will most likely solve your problem.

If I am correct and it is conflicting loose facegen data, moving the mod up or down in your load order won't fix the problem because its not anything to do with when the esp loads.  Its the actual geometry data.  Currently Prettier Bandits packs everything into a bsa.  The good thing about that is that if everyone did that there would be no loose data and you actually could solve the problem just by moving things up or down in your load order.  But unfortunately many mods don't pack their data into a bsa, they leave it loose and the TES 5 engine always uses loose files in priority over bsa data, regardless of load order.  By re-exporting all the facedata, it will all now be loose data in your game folder and that should take care of the problem.  Because of this, I'm seriously thinking of just not doing a bsa anymore in the future.  Besides which the loose files zipped up with 7zip is actually a smaller archive to download than the bsa.

Hope that helped and also hopefully helped you understand some how things work.

He did everything himself, found the conflicting face masks. Removed them from the fashion norms all.

• 2 weeks later...

@EinarrTheRed

Having just completed Ruunvald I wanted to bring two things to your attention.

1) I don't know if it was intentional or not but some of your higher powered, heavily armored Vigilants of Stendarr can now be found here (in Ruunvald). Not a prroblem as far as I can see but, if nothing else, I thought others might want to know that the dungeon is a little more difficult now.

2) I know that others have mentioned seeing similar things but here is a picture of Minorne (after I enslaved here with PAHE).

Spoiler

enb 2020_10_25 08_21_13_22j.jpg

Despite the slave collar it is clear that she suffers from the dreaded "dark face bug". I intend to go into the CK and see if exporting her data fixes the issue. Since I kept her as a slave it shouldn't be hard to tell.

Edit: except that I can't find her listed in the CK.

1 hour ago, EinarrTheRed said:

Minorne in CK is PB_DLC1RuunvaldWarlockBoss

I'll double check whether it was packed in correctly.

Thank you. My exporting the data changed nothing. Although I know it can be wonky, her picture in the CK is similarly two-toned. Also, if you note, she has a "shadow" in the shape of a tiara on her forehead.

6 hours ago, EinarrTheRed said:

That shadow or band on the forehead sounds like an eyebrow bug.  That gives me a clue of something else to look at.

Yeah, I woke up last night and I think I may also know what is going on. It goes back to having used this mod:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/15411

I had the same problem with it that I am seeing with PB. The author was well aware and gave this instruction:

Spoiler

If you're having problems with a black face bug, or color mismatch please download the meshes I have included which will fix your issues. Once downloaded, extract it's contents to your DATA folder. If you're uncomfortable with doing so, then do the fix manually yourself as I have also provided a readme here on the Nexus which will create the mesh files necessary. Just follow the instructions in the readme.

While I haven't tried doing that in my game (since everyone else is using KS hair) I strongly suspect that it would fix the issue for anyone who is having it. I know what a fan of Apachii you are so I know that this will come as quite the blow.

Might I suggest that you place this information in your mod's description so that those who want to make the fix can do so?

20 hours ago, Psalam said:

While I haven't tried doing that in my game (since everyone else is using KS hair) I strongly suspect that it would fix the issue for anyone who is having it. I know what a fan of Apachii you are so I know that this will come as quite the blow.

Might I suggest that you place this information in your mod's description so that those who want to make the fix can do so?

I would say I'm more sentimental about Apachii hair.  Anyway, two problems.  First, that NPC is one of the few in PB already using KS Hair (the mesh is packed into the mod)   I can't find the readme he mentioned (apparently he didn't post it in the docs section or in the elven fix) so I'm not sure what his fix actually was (and I'm not sure how Apachii hair would have caused it, to my knowledge, it doesn't).  Plus I'm already in the process of converting the entire mod to KS Hair only.

Meanwhile... I goofed.  So... mea culpa time.

When I started working with some of these NPCs I originally was sticking to just NPCs from Skyrim.esm.  So I only grabbed the facegeom and facetint data for the NPCs I edited from that folder plus the data for the new NPCs from the PrettierBandits.esp folder.  So the problem?  Well... Minourne is a Dawnguard NPC and guess what dummy didn't pack that into the mod.   Yup... yours truly.  So there's a few NPCs from the Dawnguard.esm folders under facegeometry and facetintmasks that didn't get included.  My bad.

I'll go through and double check if there are other NPCs I've edited from Dawnguard DLC and post a patch soon as I get a chance..

Or, you could just re-export the facegen yourselves if you know how.  Nice thing about sticking to only using CK to make the face edits is that means you guys have the ability to re-export facegen to fix goofs like this on your own.  Note that Minourne is using a KS Hair but I snuck the mesh for it into the mod, so you have that particular hair mesh whether you have KS Hair installed or not.  I did that for the unique boss NPCs I was experimenting with only for now, rather than require KS Hair for just 4 NPCs.  Once I convert the mod fully to KS Hair, I'll remove Apachii as a requirement and add KS Hair as a requirment and I won't include any of those meshes anymore.

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2020 at 11:52 AM, EinarrTheRed said:

The mod does not change skin texture of the face, it uses whatever skin texture you have installed for both the face or the body.  I personally use Bijin's skin texture but it should work with just about any of them out there.  It does change the face tint mask, which is the additional layer that adds the make up (eye shadow, lip color, etc) and tattoos (if any) and dirt (which I generally removed).  It looks to me as if something has replaced the tintmask and face geometry data and that's causing the mismatch.

Find that bandit, open console and in the lower left corner find where it says ID and BaseID.  Write down and let me know what that BaseID is.  That will tell me exactly which bandit that is and I will look up the corresponding facegendata and tintmask and explain where to find those and you can delete them, that should eliminate the problem.

If I'm correct and that is the problem then you had something install some loose facegen data for bandits and that data is still there and causing the conflict.  The simplest solution for that would be to re-export the facegen data from Prettier Bandits so that it overwrites whatever errant data has been left in your game files, that will require using CK and about 30 min of time but is otherwise easy to do.

Here's how:

• Now look in the Actor folder in the Object Window, this will filter the list so that you just see all the PB actors (NPCs)
  • Select all of them.
  • Press Control+F4
  • Wait 15-30 min (depending on how fast your computer is) for it to process all the files.
  • When it is finished you will get a popup msg box that says Done.  Click the Ok button.
  • You have re-exported all the facegen data in loose form and that will overwrite any conflicting data, this will most likely solve your problem.

If I am correct and it is conflicting loose facegen data, moving the mod up or down in your load order won't fix the problem because its not anything to do with when the esp loads.  Its the actual geometry data.  Currently Prettier Bandits packs everything into a bsa.  The good thing about that is that if everyone did that there would be no loose data and you actually could solve the problem just by moving things up or down in your load order.  But unfortunately many mods don't pack their data into a bsa, they leave it loose and the TES 5 engine always uses loose files in priority over bsa data, regardless of load order.  By re-exporting all the facedata, it will all now be loose data in your game folder and that should take care of the problem.  Because of this, I'm seriously thinking of just not doing a bsa anymore in the future.  Besides which the loose files zipped up with 7zip is actually a smaller archive to download than the bsa.

I know this reply was from a while back and for another user of your mod but that was extremely helpful, and the detailed response was very welcome.  Thank you!

Personally, regarding .bsa archives, as a layman who just uses mods and occasionally tinkers with them, I've always gravitated towards loose files versions of mods and texture packs because that allows me to fiddle with them without learning CK.  For my part I think a loose files version would be pretty neat because then I can see conflicts myself, although I'm sure there's some advantage to .bsa.

At any rate this should fix it for me, I seem to recall doing this a few years ago when I had a similar issue.  Thank you again!

• 4 months later...

Hi EinarrTheRed i would like to ask something about your mod, long ago i was looking for something to have all the bandits use new hair and i step into this mod, i give it a try and i notice that sometimes they were using hair with colours a bit to bright (yellow,red) is still a thing?

• 2 months later...
On 5/6/2021 at 1:54 PM, SunsetGlow said:

Hi EinarrTheRed i would like to ask something about your mod, long ago i was looking for something to have all the bandits use new hair and i step into this mod, i give it a try and i notice that sometimes they were using hair with colours a bit to bright (yellow,red) is still a thing?

Pretty much, yes.  When I made those hair colors... few centuries ago... I was a lot less experienced.  Making them I had to manually set the color and more or less guess at what it would look like in game.  It didn't always turn out so good.  I was also experimenting with some unnatural colors for things like nymphs or something, that turned out to not be popular either.  Of late, for my Whiterun mod, I've been learning to use Racemenu and Nifmerge to make NPCs, and in part of that I've been learning to edit hair color in Nifskope as well as setting it in Racemenu.  That's given me a much better grasp of what RGB values look good.  When I get time to overhaul PB, I plan to redo pretty much all the hair colors to something that looks both more natural and looks better.  That's in addition to removing all the Apachii hair (and that dependency) and replacing with KS hair.  I won't be able to get to this until after I get the initial release of my Whiterun mod out which I'm still aiming to do this year (before Christmas).

So, when im installing this mod, it causes all female bandits to become like this ScreenShot11.bmpScreenShot10.bmpScreenShot9.bmpScreenShot8.bmpScreenShot7.bmp. At first i thought it was only a skin color mismatch, because at the same time i used CBBE face pack, but after i reinstalled some of my npc-related mods, and eventually got rid of it, turns out for some reason this mod won't change appearance of npcs at all, only changing their hair as you can see. I'm trying to "re-export the facegen data from Prettier Bandits so that it overwrites whatever errant data has been left in your game files, that will require using CK" but every time i try to like set this plugin as active through files>data (if thats the thing i suppose to do) and press ok, windows just says something like "Program Creation kit is not working it will be closed" without giving an option to wait for response, so now im trying to figure out how to use CK. Maybe someone can save me some time and help, at least with advise? Or maybe im doing something wrong without realizing? I dont know...

My load order if that might be useful

Spoiler

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch.esp
ZaZAnimationPack.esm
SexLab.esm
ITortureFramework.esm
paradise_halls.esm
Schlongs of Skyrim - Core.esm
SexLabAroused.esm
ApachiiHair.esm
ApachiiHairFemales.esm
ApachiiHairMales.esm
FNIS.esp
3PCO.esp
RLO - Interiors.esp
paradise_halls_SLExtension.esp
Relationship Dialogue Overhaul.esp
SoundsofSkyrimComplete.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures.esp
RLO - Exteriors.esp
Immersive Encounters.esp
SexLab_Solutions.esp
SexLab_DibellaCult.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures - DLC2.esp
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
marriagemod - alpha v3.esp
SOS_RLOInteriors_Patch.esp
SexSlavesForVanillaBandits.esp
PAH_HomeSweetHome.esp
Immersive Patrols II.esp
PAH_AndYouGetASlave.esp
BDHagravenReplacer.esp
EtR_HearthfireDungeonAddon.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
Bijin AIO.esp
Schlongs of Skyrim.esp
SOS - Shop.esp
Sneak Tools.esp
SexLab Eager NPCs.esp
Equipping Overhaul.esp
AstridReborn.esp
Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp
Better Females - Eyebrows.esp
CalienteVanillaArmorTweaks.esp
Chesko_WearableLantern.esp
Dr_Bandolier.esp
Elisif Makeover.esp
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp
imp_helm_legend.esp
KS Hairdo's.esp
LBackpackAll.esp
MageBackpack_byTumbajamba.esp
Mortal Enemies.esp
My_Bards.esp
paradise_halls_farengars_study.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
RDO - USLEEP Patch.esp
UltimateCombat.esp
Realistic Melee Range.esp
Remodeled Armor.esp
Scrolling Speed.esp
Serana.esp
SexLab_DibellaCult_Sisters.esp
SexLabDefeat.esp
SexLabTools.esp
SkyUI.esp
SLALAnimObj.esp
SLAnimLoader.esp
SlightlyDarkerNights.esp
Sneak Tools Vanilla Hoods.esp
Sneak Tools Vanilla Masks.esp
SOS - Smurf Average Addon.esp
SOS - VectorPlexus Muscular Addon.esp
SOS - VectorPlexus Regular Addon.esp
SOSRaceMenu.esp
UIExtensions.esp
Valerica.esp
XPMSE.esp
RLO - Illuminated Spells.esp
ApachiiHelmetWigs.esp
Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim.esp
Apocalypse - Ordinator Compatibility Patch.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
IcePenguinWorldMapPaper.esp
Prettier Bandits.esp

Edited by Lotus intestinum
On 10/15/2020 at 12:52 AM, EinarrTheRed said:

Here's how:

• Select all of them.
  • Press Control+F4

This solved for me as it does generate facegens on the fly:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/42441

2 hours ago, Lotus intestinum said:

At first i thought it was only a skin color mismatch, because at the same time i used CBBE face pack, but after i reinstalled some of my npc-related mods, and eventually got rid of it, turns out for some reason this mod won't change appearance of npcs at all, only changing their hair as you can see. I'm trying to "re-export the facegen data from Prettier Bandits so that it overwrites whatever errant data has been left in your game files, that will require using CK" but every time i try to like set this plugin as active through files>data (if thats the thing i suppose to do) and press ok, windows just says something like "Program Creation kit is not working it will be closed" without giving an option to wait for response, so now im trying to figure out how to use CK. Maybe someone can save me some time and help, at least with advise? Or maybe im doing something wrong without realizing? I dont know...

My load order if that might be useful

Okay, I'll try to help where I can.

First maybe some explanation as to what went wrong so you understand what was causing the issue.  Every NPC in the game has Facegen data generated for it.  This consist of two files, one is a Nif file in the meshes folder and the other is a dds file in the textures folder.  Together, they tell the game what the NPCs head, face and hair (including eyebrows and eyes and mouth) are supposed to look like.  The body is separate, and what that looks like depends on what body mesh you have installed.  Faces (heads) are neither CBBE or UNP or any things else, those are just different body base meshes.  There are high poly heads but those are the base head that's been carefully subdivided.

When two mods try to alter those files, the last one in your load order wins... IF... they are both using a bsa.   If one of them has loose files, that one will win regardless of load order because loose files always override a bsa archive.  I'm guessing the CBBE face pack has lose files.

So that brings us to your problem, you need to overwrite that file data with fresh facegen data in a loose form.  Normally that should be pretty easy in CK.  But you seem to have a problem with your install.

I've no real way of knowing why CK is not working for you but I'm going to take a guess here, sort of a shot in the dark.  When you installed CK, did you modify the ini files so that it can load multiple archives?  If not, this post has some instructions on how to do that.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1010475-running-multiple-master-files-in-creation-kit/page-3

That might be your problem, might not.  You'll need to do some forum searches to find out what's going on with your CK and get it working, I'm not an expert on that.

Once you do get CK operating, and can load PB, then re-exporting the facegen is pretty easy to do and I'll be happy to walk you through how to do that.

I'd also suggest you learn to use TES V Edit and learn to use it to check for conflicts, it will give you a lot more info about potential problems and help you to solve them.  WryeBash is also very useful.

@EinarrTheRedThank you for your response! But I already solved the problem with CK (Apparently I had to add some values to Skyrim Editor.ini>[Archive] as written here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/846956740639650936/). But now I met the other issue - when I select all the PB actors and choose to convert facegen data, CK stops responding, without any pop ups or anything; so, as far as I understand this is normal for CK to think for long time and all, plus my pc is pretty outdated, but nothing happens even after an hour of waiting, on the other hand when i select only one actor the operation goes pretty fast and i receive the "Done" massage.

So I got a question: will this help if I just convert every npc one by one, or it works only if you convert them all together at once? For now, I will just try to wait longer.

Also, thanks again for your help and sorry if my english is not too good/

CBBE face pack doesn't have esp, I guess it overwrites PB even if I put it at the bottom of load order. If I uninstall CBBE fp do i need to do that CK thing again? Also can you send here an example of how they should look like, please.

• 1 month later...

I had previously stated that I would not be able to get back to work on this mod until probably spring of next year.

Turns out...

I'm back to work on it and am hoping to publish the 1.0 version in about 2-3 weeks (so by the end of September).  This will officially take the mod out of beta, which really it has been for a long time I just never got around to changing the status.

There will be a lil bit of new content in the 1.0 release.  So about that.

I've been putting in a lot of practice with Racemenu building up my skill level.  I still don't consider myself as good as some like Bijin, Pandorable, Esmeralda, or Toki... but I think I'm at least finally in the same ball park.  So, all the unique NPCs in PB have been given new make overs built in Racemenu.  I'm working right now to finish up the last few of them.  Its been kind of a crazy process.  When I say I'm an old hillbilly... its not a joke, I really am.  I'm probably the last person to ask about make up or hair styles.  I still think saw dust is man glitter ?  That said I'm fortunate to have a development team that has coached me, encouraged me, and sometimes told me when I was just going horribly wrong... and they've pushed me to even go in some directions I probably wouldn't have otherwise.  Let's just say there's been a crazy amount of discussion and swapping hairstyles behind the scenes. ?

I've also added to the number of unique NPCs that get a face lift in this mod.  Currently that includes:

• Imperial Captain at Helgen (she's now prettier and sassier)
  • Eisa Blackthorn (who is both prettier and tougher looking)
  • The Caller
  • Minorne
  • Luah al'Skaven
  • Keeper Carcette
  • Salma (from Ironbind Crypt)
  • Umana (met in Altland Cathedral, she's the one with the unique shield)
  • Fjola (from mistwatch)
  • The ritual necromancers from Wolf Skull Cave
  • and newly added the Vaermina Dream Girls

All with KS Hair meshes.

The ritual necromancers had previously been made unique, now they are unique and named.  I even squeeze in some beds for them (they never use them its just there for appearances) in the ruins and you may find some journals that helps shed a little background on who they are, their backstory and motivations... just for immersion and fun.

The Vaermina Dream Girls... in Nightcaller Temple there are a total of six female cultist.  Only two normally wake up and the others are apparently dead.  I was digging into how that was set up and discovered that apparently Bethesda may have intended them all to wake up, the triggers for the others were already there just not connected.  So... I connected them and voila they all now wake up.  So I went the extra step and made them unique, named with custom appearances.  We now have a Breton named Valana, a Dunmer named Teril, two Nords - Enyra and Jaedya, an Imperial named Safia and an Altmer named Carellon.  They run a range of body weights.  So now you have the Vaermina Dreamgirls to brighten up your nightmares.

I'll post screen shots of everything with the new release (I need to rebuild the mod page anyway), but here's a couple of sneak previews.

Fjola in Mistwatch

Spoiler

ScreenShot93.jpg.0432c909350d23f00c465a675e7bfe3b.jpg

Eisa Blackthorn

Spoiler

ScreenShot20.jpg.f5a31d617e4b4dd974b34b2a541a5e21.jpg

One further note, I will be publishing this in loose format per multiple requests.  I may also make the face presets for the custom gals available if there is interest.

They do not use any particular body or skin pack, should work with UNP, CBBE or whatever (just not FACE PACKs since these are custom faces), I use Bijin's skins and that was used in the screen shots.

I'll have some further news once I release the new version.

• 3 months later...

Hey, I'll revive this threat in hopes that you can help me.

I've had the face bug, so I went and did the CK Kit that you described earlier in the threat. However, I constantly get Error messages about epty .tri files. Do I need to load the apachii hairs as well when I extract the facegen data?

(Sorry if this is a stupid question, I've never worked with CK before.)

9 hours ago, FlyingRodent said:

Hey, I'll revive this threat in hopes that you can help me.

I've had the face bug, so I went and did the CK Kit that you described earlier in the threat. However, I constantly get Error messages about epty .tri files. Do I need to load the apachii hairs as well when I extract the facegen data?

(Sorry if this is a stupid question, I've never worked with CK before.)

I don't know for sure, but I would think so. Hair files are used and I would think the Apachii files are set as masters, so they should load regardless.

I'm sure ETR will chime in when he has time.

11 hours ago, karlpaws said:

I don't know for sure, but I would think so. Hair files are used and I would think the Apachii files are set as masters, so they should load regardless.

I'm sure ETR will chime in when he has time.

So, it worked, the face bug is gone, even though I had to click through what felt like a thousand error messages concerning the Apachii hairs (even though I loaded them as well). Then I had the red forehead bug because, being the idiot I am, I forgot to rename tint folder first. So I did it all again, but with the correctly renamed folder, and now all my bandits are really pretty, no problem with hair in sight. 

Maybe I just did something stupid/wrong with the CK. But as long as it worked, and my game still works as it should, I'm happy. 

Edited by FlyingRodent