Oblivion Mistake

I saw that Steam was having some kind of new years sale and decided to finally get Oblivion. This turned out to be a mistake, because I did not know that the PC version of the game is apparently designed PRIMARILY with keyboard and mouse in mind... I HATE playing first or third person PC games with a keyboard and mouse, in fact I hate it so much that I won't even bother buying/playing those kinds of games without proper controller support built in, because of the inconvenience of it, but also because, of the few games I have had to play using a third party software, NONE of them have played as well as they should have.

Anyway my point is, if you don't have the game installed and you see the sale I'm referring to and are thinking about getting the game and are like myself and do not feel like owning a game that you basically have to buy a third party software JUST so you can use a controller, I would suggest NOT getting this game.

It's an older game before multi/cross platform support was really a thing. Anyway I'm 100% polar opposite of you, I wouldn't buy anything that requires a gamepad/joystick, that's just a failed input system in my opinion.

Agreed its nice when they support both but any pc game designed to use just a controller is doomed to fail imo.

It's an older game before multi/cross platform support was really a thing. Anyway I'm 100% polar opposite of you, I wouldn't buy anything that requires a gamepad/joystick, that's just a failed input system in my opinion.

It's not that I think key board and mouse is flat out a bad format. Most of my gaming experiences took place on a console, so I never got used to the key board and mouse format. For games like Diablo 1-3 key board and mouse is a perfect format, and I have no issues with it. It just irks me that they never bothered to add full support for controllers on PC, even at a later date, and I wound up buying a game that a basically can't play because of it.

Honestly I used to have playing Skyrim on PC with keyboard and mouse, until I played an archer assassin for a few hours.

Turns out they weren't kidding when they said you aim a lot better with a mouse, and now I can't stand aiming with a controller (can play melee chars just fine though)

Honestly I used to have playing Skyrim on PC with keyboard and mouse, until I played an archer assassin for a few hours.

Turns out they weren't kidding when they said you aim a lot better with a mouse, and now I can't stand aiming with a controller (can play melee chars just fine though)

It's not the mouse part that bothers me, it's having to use a group of keys on the key board to move around and do other things. I like having access to everything in one spot (a controller) rather than having to jump around a key board in the heat of a moment or have to try to remember which key does what.

I guess after playing with a key board and mouse for a while you get used to it, but I'm not too keen on getting used to another way of playing a game when I already have a format I'm used to playing it in. Also it doesn't help that my computer isn't at a desk, it's in front of a chair hooked up to a large TV, which makes playing a game like that with a key board and mouse a little more difficult.

I ue a logitech G13 and a mouse to play all non flightsim or racing games. I can't stand console controller for anything but sports games <which is why I haven't owned a console since PS2, can't justify 500 bucks just to play Madden>. With the G13 i can reach 22+buttons without moving my hand and my hand is in a much more comfortable position then a standard KB

Sorry... Couldn't resist

4992f21cb726018d930cd5d8f42b1ee849ca8192

Please don't hate me

I grew up playing PC games and controllers were never a thing for me

It's so weird that people actually need that stuff now...

Anyway... if the need is unbrearable I believe there are things called emulators? I dunno I'm not very informed on that...

Well said. I actually find keyboard and mouse to provide way more possibilities with controls than joystick, but this is just my opinion based from my experience playing both as well.

I also bought Oblivion on sale in Jan, not let me preface this by saying Skyrim was my first ES game, Elder Scrolls came out just after my RPG phase and my flight sim and racing sim phase was in full force. After playing Oblivion this past 2 weeks, its quite obvious how much Bethesda had to dumbdown Skyrim to make it work on consoles which vaildates my hatered of consoles, they bring down the quality of the games for the PC <plus I have said I will not consider a console until it has KB/mouse capability, any game that has firstperson shooting, whether it is a laser rifle or a bow HAS to have KB/mouse control, its just that much superior, its kinda like playing a flight sim with a KB and mouse, can be done, but HOTAS is much better> 

I also bought Oblivion on sale in Jan, not let me preface this by saying Skyrim was my first ES game, Elder Scrolls came out just after my RPG phase and my flight sim and racing sim phase was in full force. After playing Oblivion this past 2 weeks, its quite obvious how much Bethesda had to dumbdown Skyrim to make it work on consoles which vaildates my hatered of consoles, they bring down the quality of the games for the PC <plus I have said I will not consider a console until it has KB/mouse capability, any game that has firstperson shooting, whether it is a laser rifle or a bow HAS to have KB/mouse control, its just that much superior, its kinda like playing a flight sim with a KB and mouse, can be done, but HOTAS is much better> 

I'm in the same boat as far as Skyrim being my first Elder Scrolls game, I also noticed the same thing unfortunately (based off of what I've seen mod wise that add features into Skyrim from past Elder Scrolls games), that Skyrim was much more toned down and simplified, something that has aslo become apparent when comparing Fallout New Vegas to Fallout 4 for me. From a content/game play point of view, Fallout New Vegas is a lot more interesting and complex than Fallout 4. Part of me agrees that making the game compatible with consoles is the main culprit for this, but then I played Fallout New Vegas, which came out both for consoles and the PC (with full controller integration.. well aside from the tilde key not working properly, and maybe a few other things) and the game was still good (better than Fallout 4 at least), so that has me convinced that there is something else going on as well beside the console aspect... like making a game that looks really nice, but lacks in other areas because "who cares, they'll buy it anyway, they know the last one was awesome, *we* know it's not as good as that last one, but we'll make another killing on all the hope that has been placed on the DLCs" (which, these days, accounts for a missing half to third of the whole game.. or locks you out of playing content you purchased earlier until you buy the new expansion, Destiny *cough* *cough*).

On another note, I need a new mouse anyway as my current one is crap and also not a gaming mouse, so once I can replace that, playing Oblivion may be an option. Still It's unfortunate the controller aspect was neglected so badly, even after the fact. As far as a gaming mouse being compatible with a console is concerned, the Steam Machine by Ailenware might be your best bet there, though I don't know much about that system other than the fact that it exists, and that it allows you to play the games in your Steam library.

I personally prefer kb/m. Playing oblivion, fully modded and using enhanced hotkeys, I have every key set as a hotkey, and some even do 2 or 3 separate things using a modifier key. Mods that ask for a modifier key, I always set to the same key. With 2 "hotkey wheels" and modifier key in use, I've had nearly 200 actions / spells / armor set / weapon sets. I have a system that helps me remember which keys do what.  Way more than could ever be done with a controller.

Archived