Skyrim: No More Engine Noise in Interior Cells

View File

You hear that constant engine noise humming in the background? Well, hear no more!

If the constant hum in certain interior cells, which sounds quite like a spaceship engine, gives you a headache, or you find that sound weird or unrealistic then this mod might be what you're looking for...

You have two options, choose only one :

Option 1: InteriorAcousticSpaceModification.esp

This is the safer option. It only removes the ambient sounds from several interior acoustic spaces. However, if there are any other sound source in a particular cell as a placed object, you'll still hear the hum they make.

Option 2: SoundDescriptorReplacer.esp

This is the more thorough option. It removes the associated sounds from four sound descriptors. You'll probably never hear any humming noise again.

Notice:

1. This mod does not modify any cells.
2. Refer to the screenshot to see the records affected.
3. You may find those offending sounds as a separate archive, if you wish to know what they are.

Any feedback is appreciated.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    02/07/2016
  • Category
  • Requires
    Skyrim
  • Special Edition Compatible

File Name: Skyrim: No More Engine Hum

File Submitter: bjornk

File Submitted: 07 Feb 2016

File Category: WIP / Beta

Requires: Skyrim

You hear that constant engine hum in the background? Well, hear no more!

If the constant hum in certain interior cells, which sounds quite like a spaceship engine, gives you a headache, or you find that sound weird or unrealistic then this mod might be what you're looking for...

You have two options, choose only one :

Option 1: InteriorAcousticSpaceModification.esp

This is the safer option. It only removes the ambient sounds from several interior acoustic spaces. However, if there are any other sound source in a particular cell as a placed object, you'll still hear the hum they make.

Option 2: SoundDescriptorReplacer.esp

This is the more thorough option. It removes the associated sounds from four sound descriptors. You'll probably never hear any engine hum again.

Notice:

1. This mod does not modify any cells.

2. Refer to the screenshot to see the records affected.

3. You may find those offending sounds as a separate archive, if you wish to know what they are.

download.png

Click here to download this file

omg yes! I thought I was going insane ever since I noticed it.

"Option 1" works fine in places like The Arcanaeum, Sadri's Used Wares etc. However, there are sound sources as placed objects in, for instance, Arch-Mage's Quarters, Severin Manor (DB) etc. You need to use the second option for those.

Ahhh... Good to have some silence after four years... :D

Another option (one that doesn't add an esp) would be to just make blank files and pack them into a zip (so once extracted they go into the correct location like data\sound\whateverfolder\stupidnoise.file).

This would resolve the issue without adding another esp to someone's load order (but may kill those sounds in certain dungeons).... just a thought.

If you don't want to use an additional plugin file, you may add these changes into a plugin you already have. That's actually what I did.

Sure, creating blank wav files to replace these is another way to do it, but the game would still attempt to read and play those files even if they are empty.

Let me explain my reasoning, here are the possible ways to do the same thing (for the 2nd option)...

A. NO FILE, NO LOOP (Requires an ESP)

Step 1. Game checks for the sound descriptor

Step 2. It contains no file, makes no attempts to read the file.

B. EMPTY FILE, LOOP (No ESP is needed)

Step 2. It contains a file, attempts to read the file, returns with an error as the file is not a proper WAV file. 

C. VANILLA WAV FILE CONTAINING SILENCE, NO LOOP (Requires an ESP)

Step 2. It contains a vanilla sound file, attempts to read the file, reads the file.

Step 3. Plays the file containing silence once.

D. WAV FILE CONTAINING SILENCE, LOOP (No ESP is needed)

Step 2. It contains a file, attempts to read the file, reads the file.
Step 3. Plays the file containing silence in a loop.

If I can get away with not having a file in the sound descriptor then A is the best (fastest) option.

No, having these sounds in interior spaces is absolutely retarded. "Any sound is better than no sound!"... they must have thought and added a looping engine hum. You may not find them as irritating until you've spend some time in one of the cells that have them. They could have used many different sounds instead... a mixture of wind, birds, crickets, dripping water etc... but no, you need to feel like you're in a submarine or in a spaceship... for better immersion...

every time a mod for this pops up im like "what?"

Was there ever a mod for this? I could never find one.

No, having these sounds in interior spaces is absolutely retarded. "Any sound is better than no sound!"... they must have thought and added a looping engine hum. You may not find them as irritating until you've spend some time in one of the cells that have them. They could have used many different sounds instead... a mixture of wind, birds, crickets, dripping water etc... but no, you need to feel like you're in a submarine or in a spaceship... for better immersion...

every time a mod for this pops up im like "what?"

Was there ever a mod for this? I could never find one.

oh yes, the removal of the "engine" sound is a long fabled and many often done thing, at least on nexus.