[mod] [CK2] Dark World: Reborn - Updated 13APR2024

29 minutes ago, The Bean said:

beacuse if it isnt this then i dont know what you mean

Alright - that's not it, but then that fully explains your issue.

Your problem is the folder is named wrong. DarkWorldReborn_171 was the zipped file, if you extracted it properly, you would have had two things in your mod folder. A folder called Dark World Reborn and a Dark World Reborn.mod file.

Edit: For clarification, the Dark World Reborn.mod file HAS to have a folder called Dark World Reborn. It doesn't recognize DarkWorldReborn_171, so it won't see it at all.

5 minutes ago, dewguru said:

Alright - that's not it, but then that fully explains your issue.

Your problem is the folder is named wrong. DarkWorldReborn_171 was the zipped file, if you extracted it properly, you would have had two things in your mod folder. A folder called Dark World Reborn and a Dark World Reborn.mod file.

Edit: For clarification, the Dark World Reborn.mod file HAS to have a folder called Dark World Reborn. It doesn't recognize DarkWorldReborn_171, so it won't see it at all.

So is this it

Also, the dark world reborn is empty, earlier it contained the Common,dicision events ect folders, but i took them out

image.png.6cdfd67774dd961a656afa3b893bf308.png

52 minutes ago, The Bean said:

So is this it

Also, the dark world reborn is empty, earlier it contained the Common,dicision events ect folders, but i took them out

image.png.6cdfd67774dd961a656afa3b893bf308.png

Your earlier postings did not show the Dark World Reborn folder being present. If the Dark World Reborn folder was inside of your DarkWorldReborn_171 folder, then all that you had to do was drag it out of that folder, which is what I said.

The only reason the common, decisions, events, gfx, interface, localisation folders, and the 3 .txt files should be in your directory like that is if they were inside of your DarkWorldReborn_171 folder, and not inside of a Dark World Reborn folder that was inside of your DarkWorldReborn_171 folder.

Drag those folders and files into your Dark World Reborn folder now, and you should be okay.

Personal experience:

Use 7zip or any other third-party extraction tool. Windows Extraction Tool has problems reading the .mod file, and sometimes doesn't even extract properly.

With 7zip installed, all you need is the zip file in the /mod/ folder. Just right click it, and choose Extract Here, and all your problems will be solved.

5 hours ago, dewguru said:

Question - for those who play at all as a werewolf - do you view the Beast Within mechanic to be a pain in the ass?

If it is, I'll instead look to tear it apart as it stands and set-up the events related to it, as random type events. Making the concept more a regular struggle that is assumed you regularly control, rather than something you actively have to take time out to hunt for.

Being lost to the beast would still be possible, but only for those werewolves that are content or slothful, as they're the ones who'd be likely to let their guard down too long.

It is indeed a pain in the ass as it is now but I like the alternative you're talking about.

Just today I managed to off Fenris and half of the credit goes to the H'n'V portion of the mod. "Make My Nemesis" is awesome when you want to murder someone and there's shortage of people willing, or willing to be bribed, to plot against them. Had to become deceitful to get the win I wanted, but I can live with that. ?

I've been doing a lot of reading lately about the folk lore of different cultures, specifically where it involves shape shifting beings.

An interesting thing I found is the number of different cultures that have instances of humans shape shifting into goats... Weregoats. I don't think I ever imagined such a thing.

And West Africa had an original one I didn't see anywhere else. Humans taking the shape of a spider.

I bring this up because I'm going to be adding in some additional traits. The vast majority won't have any actual play value right away, but obtaining them would be possible through the Wizard Tower potion vendor, specifically the Awaken Heritage potion where it should look at your culture and in turn give you a random chance of obtaining a trait from its folk lore.

This also means that the update that will be coming out late next week won't be save game compatible. I'm telling myself that I just need to put these in now instead of later. The sooner I stabilize the traits, the quicker I reach a non-save game breaking state, and it'll also help any mods that seek to hook into the traits in any fashion.

I'll be posting a Dark World Reborn Races section with the next update too that gives a summary of how they're envisioned within Dark World Reborn.

47 minutes ago, AlexWyrmin said:

So you could start your game as some race, but discover further into your campaign that your bloodline is weirder than you thought?

Yes, if you so choose to do that. Now, most of these will likely never be set-up as a starting option. Many of them are going to be more for NPC's. So outside of using the potion or encountering one of the NPC's, they'll largely be non-existent.

Now, one thing I learned from the past is it's a pain in the ass to try and fight with birth ratios for the traits using on_action_birth commands, so all traits use the default inherit chance percentage.

With changes that were added since I first started Dark World Reborn so long ago, I can now do things like make it 50%, unless both parents have it, then I can make it 100%, or I can ensure it only passes between females or males. Things that didn't exist long ago, which lead to my rough trait juggling type logic on things.

Edit: Another thing that they added is the ability to impact age through a command. My original thought for vampires or succubi and the like, was that they wouldn't be truly immortal, but that they'd instead feed (sexual energy or blood) to steal essence which would directly translate to removing years from their lives, keeping them young via their actions. I can now ponder something like that.

6 hours ago, dewguru said:

Question - for those who play at all as a werewolf - do you view the Beast Within mechanic to be a pain in the ass?

If it is, I'll instead look to tear it apart as it stands and set-up the events related to it, as random type events. Making the concept more a regular struggle that is assumed you regularly control, rather than something you actively have to take time out to hunt for.

Being lost to the beast would still be possible, but only for those werewolves that are content or slothful, as they're the ones who'd be likely to let their guard down too long.

Honestly, yes. I didn't play much of werewolves last year, but when I did it just didn't feel right to me.

If I was to rework it, my idea would be to disable Beast Within for all characters except Content, Kind, Slothful, etc. When it's disabled, you can Unleash Beast for a temporary bonus to stats/combat rating/whatever. Content/Kind/Slothful/etc characters will be able to Unleash Beast, but only to temporarily disable the Beast Within mechanics and not gain a buff (these characters would see their 'gift' as a chore or a curse rather than as a blessing).

The standard hunting events can be tied into Unleash Beast for both character types, with different outcomes depending on if it's a curse or a blessing. Those who see it as a blessing would be hunted down by monster hunters, while those who are forced to satiate their curse would be approached by monster hunters with a chance of redemption.

7 minutes ago, dewguru said:

Now, one thing I learned from the past is it's a pain in the ass to try and fight with birth ratios for the traits using on_action_birth commands, so all traits use the default inherit chance percentage.

I feel you. LF and HI genetics are powerful and allows for halfbreed traits (demon - halfdemon, drow-halfelf-elf, etc) without relying entirely on the locked in inherit chance of the trait. The problem is that it is a complete and total pain in the ass to code.

13 minutes ago, lockeslylcrit said:

Honestly, yes. I didn't play much of werewolves last year, but when I did it just didn't feel right to me.

If I was to rework it, my idea would be to disable Beast Within for all characters except Content, Kind, Slothful, etc. When it's disabled, you can Unleash Beast for a temporary bonus to stats/combat rating/whatever. Content/Kind/Slothful/etc characters will be able to Unleash Beast, but only to temporarily disable the Beast Within mechanics and not gain a buff (these characters would see their 'gift' as a chore or a curse rather than as a blessing).

The standard hunting events can be tied into Unleash Beast for both character types, with different outcomes depending on if it's a curse or a blessing. Those who see it as a blessing would be hunted down by monster hunters, while those who are forced to satiate their curse would be approached by monster hunters with a chance of redemption.

Yeah, this is similar to what I'm considering for the tweaks.

I like the Monster Hunter mention too. I've got plans for them too, but hadn't really pondered a redemption option, although it would make sense since there are sometimes monsters who are hunters themselves.

I tend to notice that, in a lot of forums, when people post problems with pictures, don't seem to have winrar or 7zip installed in their PC to unzip their favourite mods or games.

The fault of course is, because there people that don't know anything of PCs and there are also the morons that don't read the installation instructions and they post meaninglessly and ask for help from others to enlight them.

And finaly, the fault could be, maybe, to the OP, who forgot to mention in the intructions, that a program is needed to start playing...

Thank you!

On 10/22/2017 at 10:43 AM, dewguru said:

I've been slowly (very slowly) poking at adding a Wizards secret society.

My modding motivation hasn't been high, but I've been tampering with it a little bit every week since the last release. I started by grabbing the Hermetic society as when I played it, I could see a lot of potential for adjusting it to be more Wizard based.

I also have the barest shell of a Lilith based secret society.

After the above, I've been thinking of bringing back the old Dark World's feral werewolf event line, and a handful of single events - just to use some images I have.

Zero estimate on a time frame for the next release though.

19 hours ago, dewguru said:

Yeah, this is similar to what I'm considering for the tweaks.

I like the Monster Hunter mention too. I've got plans for them too, but hadn't really pondered a redemption option, although it would make sense since there are sometimes monsters who are hunters themselves.

Hi dewguru, the mod is great! I'm glad you're picking it back up.

I know the first quote I added is from over 2 years ago, but is there any chance that old feral werewolf event chain could come back in some form? It's really good and had a lot of opportunities to be further fleshed out. There could very well be tie ins with the Monster Hunters too.

1 hour ago, theliddtin said:

Hi dewguru, the mod is great! I'm glad you're picking it back up.

I know the first quote I added is from over 2 years ago, but is there any chance that old feral werewolf event chain could come back in some form? It's really good and had a lot of opportunities to be further fleshed out. There could very well be tie ins with the Monster Hunters too.

Hrm. I'll be honest, It's been so long, I would have thought it was in there right now.

I liked that chain. I'll see what I can do. Probably not this next release, but I'm looking to hit the werewolf portion of the mod after that, and I'll look to do it then.

Edit: If that one isn't in there - did I also leave out the one where once you became a max stage Succubus ruler, that an Angel could descend, or rather a descendant of one (basically a counter to your succubus) to confront you in court?

59 minutes ago, Cheri Song said:

It's possible for vampires to feed on tentacle monsters from my mod (trait: tentacle_monster), or unique unkillable NPCs from House Irae (trait: houseirae_matron_mother). Could this be fixed?

+1

Took a look at the code for 1.71 and there's nothing special that will prevent a vampire from feeding.

potential = { # We're wanting to feed on willing victims
			is_adult = yes
			OR = {
				has_character_modifier = dw_vampire_thrall
				is_lover = FROM
			}
			NOR = { # No feeding on other vampires
				trait = vampire
				trait = vampire_ancient
			}
		}

This can be remedied by a simple scripted_trigger (dw_cannot_feed) with checks for various character flags (since they don't produce any errors if the flag isn't present). In the upcoming HI update, all special NPCs will have the special_npc flag, but it's not a big deal to also add in something like dw_no_feed too.

dw_cannot_feed = {

# DWR standard stuff
	trait = vampire
	trait = vampire_ancient
	NOR = {
		has_character_modifier = dw_vampire_thrall
		is_lover = FROM
	}

# Everything else
	has_character_flag = special_npc # Special NPCs that are immune to most HI/LF hostile actions
	has_character_flag = dw_no_feed # Not a special NPC, but immune to feeding
	trait = tentacle_monster # Tentacled Dreams compatibility, will result in error.log errors if not installed
	# add more here

}

2 hours ago, Cheri Song said:

It's possible for vampires to feed on tentacle monsters from my mod (trait: tentacle_monster), or unique unkillable NPCs from House Irae (trait: houseirae_matron_mother). Could this be fixed?

Sure thing. I'll put it in the next update as a stop gap until I rework the vampires.

4 hours ago, dewguru said:

Edit: If that one isn't in there - did I also leave out the one where once you became a max stage Succubus ruler, that an Angel could descend, or rather a descendant of one (basically a counter to your succubus) to confront you in court?

The one with Claire? I'm pretty sure that event chain is also not in the current version posted. I couldn't find it or the Feral Werewolf event chain.

It could definitely do with being remade to fit the personal combat value now present in the game.

3 hours ago, theliddtin said:

The one with Claire? I'm pretty sure that event chain is also not in the current version posted. I couldn't find it or the Feral Werewolf event chain.

It could definitely do with being remade to fit the personal combat value now present in the game.

Yes, the one with Claire. Well, she's likely to return as I've been amassing some images of her to use.

Thanks for the response.

On 11/8/2019 at 3:05 PM, dewguru said:

Yeah, anything that ask me to be active is potentially a pain. Reason why I bitch a lot about the slave training stuff. If I were to rethink the werewolf stuff, I would base it around the berserker events a character with that trait might see. Berserkers can occasionally lose control or go into a rage on the battlefield. For a werewolf, I'd see an effect named "call of the hunt" that would propose to the player to go to a long hunt and put the character in "hiding" mode.

Regarding CK2, not everything needs to be about gameplay. Sometimes, you can have fun short stories about the daily life of your werewolf character. For example, a werewolf could have a greater sense of smell and detect something fishy about the dishes presented at diner, only to discover that somebody tried to poison him/her. Which would trigger a cat and mouse investigation using several events across multiple weeks. Multiple choices and multiple outcomes.

@Cheri Song@lockeslylcrit - I'm going to add a scripted_trigger in the next release called 'targets_to_avoid' which in turn I'll add to the feed option for the next release.

To avoid unnecessary errors, I'm not going to add the traits that aren't in DWR. However, duplicate scripted_triggers do not overwrite each other. Two mods with the same scripted_trigger, appends the contents together. So, in the case of trait = tentacle_monster, Cheri could add a scripted_trigger that is also called 'targets_to_avoid', with it's contents just being trait = tentacle_monster, and anyone who is playing both mods, will be covered as Cheri's desired exception for tentacle_monster will be present via the merge.

Edit: My targets_to_avoid is going to have a flag check in it. has_character_flag = dw_do_not_target

I'll also add the special_npc flag since flags don't cause errors, and I've a few npc's in DWR with that flag for some compatibility coverage.

15 hours ago, dewguru said:

@Cheri Song@lockeslylcrit - I'm going to add a scripted_trigger in the next release called 'targets_to_avoid' which in turn I'll add to the feed option for the next release.

To avoid unnecessary errors, I'm not going to add the traits that aren't in DWR. However, duplicate scripted_triggers do not overwrite each other. Two mods with the same scripted_trigger, appends the contents together. So, in the case of trait = tentacle_monster, Cheri could add a scripted_trigger that is also called 'targets_to_avoid', with it's contents just being trait = tentacle_monster, and anyone who is playing both mods, will be covered as Cheri's desired exception for tentacle_monster will be present via the merge.

Edit: My targets_to_avoid is going to have a flag check in it. has_character_flag = dw_do_not_target

I'll also add the special_npc flag since flags don't cause errors, and I've a few npc's in DWR with that flag for some compatibility coverage.

I've never actually tried this method before. So I did a little testing...

Running House Irae and Luxuria Fantasia. HI has LF set as a dependency. Both mods have targets_to_avoid in the scripted_triggers, with HI having drow and halfelf traits in an OR block and LF having elf trait alone. Made a test decision with ai = no in the from_potential, ai = no in the potential, and NOT = { targets_to_avoid = yes } in the allow, and set_global_flag = herp_derp_test in the effect.

Result 1, chose drow as race:

Spoiler

image.png

Result 2, chose elf as race:

Spoiler

image.png

Result 3, removed LF from the dependencies, chose drow as race:

Spoiler

image.png

Result 4, reversed everything by removing the NOT in the allow, turning the OR in the HI scripted_trigger to a NOR, and the elf trait to a NOT in LF:

Spoiler

image.png

Conclusion:

Results 1, 2, and 3 completely ignored the scripted_triggers and allowed the decision to be taken. Result 4 worked as designed.

Merging of scripted_triggers works fine, but setting the condition (in this case, the allow) as a negative will get the code confused as all hell.