So the Sexlab strings patch provided will not be too friendly with other sexlab mods?

EDIT:  By that I mean, If i use the Sexlab strings patch, will amorous adventures, NSAP, defeat, etc... still work properly?  I was going to restring those as well

EDIT EDIT:  Also you said the new version only works with 1.62.  The patch I see on the first page is dated April 30th though-- Maybe I'm having trouble finding it?

EDIT EDIT EDIT:  Sorry I got a lot of questions.  I just restrung the scripts folder (after extracting the BSA) of Interesting NPCs.  So it reduced the number of files from 13,538 to just 6774.  

I noticed it also removed the "source" folder within the scripts folder.  Assuming this is supposed to happen, am I to simply have restrung strings overwrite interesting NPCs default (alongside the source folder), or do I want to remove all the default interesting npcs files (including the source folder) and then replace with the restrung scripts?

And when I restring a mod, I've been just pointing restringer to the mod's script folder and only its script folder.  Is that fine?  Or do I need to include the .esp/other components to the mod as well?

So the Sexlab strings patch provided will not be too friendly with other sexlab mods?

EDIT: By that I mean, If i use the Sexlab strings patch, will amorous adventures, NSAP, defeat, etc... still work properly? I was going to restring those as well

EDIT EDIT: Also you said the new version only works with 1.62. The patch I see on the first page is dated April 30th though-- Maybe I'm having trouble finding it?

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Sorry I got a lot of questions. I just restrung the scripts folder (after extracting the BSA) of Interesting NPCs. So it reduced the number of files from 13,538 to just 6774.

I noticed it also removed the "source" folder within the scripts folder. Assuming this is supposed to happen, am I to simply have restrung strings overwrite interesting NPCs default (alongside the source folder), or do I want to remove all the default interesting npcs files (including the source folder) and then replace with the restrung scripts?

And when I restring a mod, I've been just pointing restringer to the mod's script folder and only its script folder. Is that fine? Or do I need to include the .esp/other components to the mod as well?

ReStringer is really meant to be an expert tool... But I'll give you few tips.

First off, don't extract the BSA. ReStringer reads BSAs itself. That's why you're seeing twice as many scripts as you should be. Second, a "mod" is the entire mod folder, including scripts, BSAs, and ESPs. ReStringer doesn't bother reading ESPs, but in the future it might. So add the the entire mod folder to ReStringer.

Third, don't overwrite the original mod. Use ModOrganizer and just put the ReStringer patch below 3DNPCs so that the new scripts have priority.

Fourth, ReStringer rewrites the scripts themselves, not the source files. That's why the source files don't get copied into the ReStringer output directory.

Fifth, the Sexlab animation slots patch is a completely different thing and is completely compatible with everything ever.

Here is the link to the newest version of ReStringer, ReSaver, and the Sexlab animation slots patch:

http://www.loverslab.com/files/download/2885-skyrimtools-restringer-and-resaver/

Lastly, if you're not sure what you're doing, just install Crash Fixes instead, and avoid this whole headache. :-)

Third, don't overwrite the original mod. Use ModOrganizer and just put the ReStringer patch below 3DNPCs so that the new scripts have priority.

Fourth, ReStringer rewrites the scripts themselves, not the source files. That's why the source files don't get copied into the ReStringer output directory.

Thanks for the help and the link.  Maybe I just don't understand the "source" folder within scripts then.  I know that loose files take priority over .BSA, so the restrung scripts for 3DNPCs for example will take priority over 3DNPCs default scripts.  However, within that default .BSA, the source folder has nothing that overwrites/take priority over it.  Is it fine to leave it as it is?

Thanks again-- and yeah I've been using crash fixes to bypass the string limit, but I just get the ocd feeling that my game is less stable when over the limit.

EDIT:  Okay re-reading that, I think you're saying that the Scripts>Source folder does not get touched at all and should be left as is to operate normally. all good now i think thanks.

• 2 months later...

EDIT: By that I mean, If i use the Sexlab strings patch, will amorous adventures, NSAP, defeat, etc... still work properly? I was going to restring those as well

EDIT EDIT: Also you said the new version only works with 1.62. The patch I see on the first page is dated April 30th though-- Maybe I'm having trouble finding it?

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Sorry I got a lot of questions. I just restrung the scripts folder (after extracting the BSA) of Interesting NPCs. So it reduced the number of files from 13,538 to just 6774.

I noticed it also removed the "source" folder within the scripts folder. Assuming this is supposed to happen, am I to simply have restrung strings overwrite interesting NPCs default (alongside the source folder), or do I want to remove all the default interesting npcs files (including the source folder) and then replace with the restrung scripts?

And when I restring a mod, I've been just pointing restringer to the mod's script folder and only its script folder. Is that fine? Or do I need to include the .esp/other components to the mod as well?

First off, don't extract the BSA. ReStringer reads BSAs itself. That's why you're seeing twice as many scripts as you should be. Second, a "mod" is the entire mod folder, including scripts, BSAs, and ESPs. ReStringer doesn't bother reading ESPs, but in the future it might. So add the the entire mod folder to ReStringer.

Fifth, the Sexlab animation slots patch is a completely different thing and is completely compatible with everything ever.

Here is the link to the newest version of ReStringer, ReSaver, and the Sexlab animation slots patch:

http://www.loverslab.com/files/download/2885-skyrimtools-restringer-and-resaver/

Lastly, if you're not sure what you're doing, just install Crash Fixes instead, and avoid this whole headache. :-)

I guess that this is mainly for mod authors and not for users, i already have crash fixes and didnt know about the sexlab patch until now.. must have missed the adverts lol :)

I guess that this is mainly for mod authors and not for users, i already have crash fixes and didnt know about the sexlab patch until now.. must have missed the adverts lol :)

No, it was always for users. There's no reason for mod authors to worry about the string limit when it only affects a handful of people. But restringer can ruin your game real fast if you misuse it, so it was only ever meant for expert users.

No, it was always for users. There's no reason for mod authors to worry about the string limit when it only affects a handful of people. But restringer can ruin your game real fast if you misuse it, so it was only ever meant for expert users.

oh okey, i though the string limit affected everyone with a load of heavy mods and Animation packs and sort of hoped that this would be the new norm or something for mod authors to minimize the problem.. if it actually works and gets more stable scripts that makes a less impact on the game engine then everyone gains from it and in that case make a bit more sense if the mod authors did the fix to lessen the possibility of a error that might not get detected until later in game..but yeah :)

oh okey, i though the string limit affected everyone with a load of heavy mods and Animation packs and sort of hoped that this would be the new norm or something for mod authors to minimize the problem.. if it actually works and gets more stable scripts that makes a less impact on the game engine then everyone gains from it and in that case make a bit more sense if the mod authors did the fix to lessen the possibility of a error that might not get detected until later in game..but yeah :)

Quest mods are the number one contributor to the string count, followed by large complex MCMs. Sexlab animations are also a major contributor -- but no other animations, it is exclusively a result of how sexlab registers and stores animations.

So to avoid problems, limit the number of installed quest mods and sexlab animations.

• 1 month later...

Hope you are still working on patches :)

I just wanted to say thanks Mark. I was pointed in your direction from another post where I have been trying to help someone fix their game... I won't lie I kind of ended up hijacking the thread  .... But Fizzybutt recommended looking for your patch and to take a look at the tools .. I admit, I know not how the magic in the tools works but it did give me a string count. I then used your patch and it reduced that count enough that I can now load saves on fresh characters.

Again, thank you :)

Now to spend sometime looking at Restringer and becoming one of those "expert" users....Aww.. who am I kidding, I am just going to keep modding skyrim till it breaks again.

Hope you are still working on patches :)

I just wanted to say thanks Mark. I was pointed in your direction from another post where I have been trying to help someone fix their game... I won't lie I kind of ended up hijacking the thread  .... But Fizzybutt recommended looking for your patch and to take a look at the tools .. I admit, I know not how the magic in the tools works but it did give me a string count. I then used your patch and it reduced that count enough that I can now load saves on fresh characters.

Again, thank you :)

Now to spend sometime looking at Restringer and becoming one of those "expert" users....Aww.. who am I kidding, I am just going to keep modding skyrim till it breaks again.

Glad the sexlab patch is working for you. :-) 

Now as for ReStringer...

ReStringer tends to create more problems than it fixes. Sometimes a LOT more. What's worse, they're not always obvious and there's usually no going back -- uninstalling a ReStringer patch can make things much much worse.

That's not to say ReStringer doesn't work. I use it, otherwise my string count would be over 100,000. I even made a patch for Skyrim itself, plus all the DLC and USLEEP (saved 20,000 strings right there). It can definitely be done. But it required a tremendous amount of care and testing.

So don't start making restringer patches unless you're 100% sure that's a road you want to go down. Reducing your string count by uninstalling a few unnecessary mods is much easier than recovering your save about you borked everything up with a bad patch. Plus, if you try to get support for a mod that you've restrung, you will absolutely NOT be taken seriously. You are completely on your own with support for mods, since you've essentially created your own custom versions of them.

Yea... I kind of backed off from using Restringer, my thought was, if Resaver confused me .... lol.

I understand that there is no collection of patches so if you really wanted to get the string count down you have to do it yourself... so I am trying Crash Fixes, which took a lot of fiddling with to ...well, stop crashing heh. On the plus side... I can at least play my game with hopefully no fear of a string corruption.

Edit: I kind of find fiddling with someone else's mod is like voiding the Warranty .... Once that Seal is broken, your not going to get a Maytag repair man to stop by...

What would it take to maintain a collections library on this site?  if it is just simply posting and maintaining links that wouldn't be so bad.... But I get the feeling its more, make the patches than maintain links. 

Either way, Keep on making Skyrim amazing, ( and more importantly playable)  :D

Yea... I kind of backed off from using Restringer, my thought was, if Resaver confused me .... lol.

I understand that there is no collection of patches so if you really wanted to get the string count down you have to do it yourself... so I am trying Crash Fixes, which took a lot of fiddling with to ...well, stop crashing heh. On the plus side... I can at least play my game with hopefully no fear of a string corruption.

Edit: I kind of find fiddling with someone else's mod is like voiding the Warranty .... Once that Seal is broken, your not going to get a Maytag repair man to stop by...

What would it take to maintain a collections library on this site? if it is just simply posting and maintaining links that wouldn't be so bad.... But I get the feeling its more, make the patches than maintain links.

Either way, Keep on making Skyrim amazing, ( and more importantly playable) :D

The issue with posting patches is that there's no way to do it consistently. A correctly made patch for a mod depends partly on what other mods are installed. You can't just load Frostfall into Restringer and make a patch -- you have to load ALL your mods into Restringer and patch just Frostfall, so that Restringer can find all the places where they are interconnected by script inheritance. So a correct patch for me may not be a correct patch for you, depending on what's installed.

The sexlab patch is a special case because it isn't a ReStringer patch, it's a whole other thing that works completely differently.

hmm so it is a simple case of too many Variables, unique to each user. 

Just figured I would ask for clarification. Honestly, I am just glad modders like you and Meh and numerious other modders ( who deserve to be mentioned but I can't remember their names :(   ) are around to that us "normal people" can keep playing our games.  

Now if you will excuse me ... I must go finally get to lvl 5 ... a feat I haven't done since....2012? ....  Too much modding, not enough playing.... 

:lol:

Later Days.

• 11 months later...
On 1/15/2016 at 12:54 AM, markdf said:

...What convinced me is that I got to a point where I couldn't make new saves anymore, but removing any mod with an MCM fixed things...

I have this problem^^ I'm running at around 51k strings, and after an hour of reading this thread I still don't understand the issue with SL anims, but I would love it fixed!

When I attempt to save my game I CTD, even if i go back a few saves, I CTD when trying to make a new save. It seems something breaks during the session but I don't notice it until the next session when I'm unable to save :c

ANYWAY the link is broken!! https://www.loverslab.com/files/download/2885-skyrimtools-restringer-and-resaver/

does anyone know where i can get this?

15 hours ago, KiTiTy said:

I have this problem^^ I'm running at around 51k strings, and after an hour of reading this thread I still don't understand the issue with SL anims, but I would love it fixed!

When I attempt to save my game I CTD, even if i go back a few saves, I CTD when trying to make a new save. It seems something breaks during the session but I don't notice it until the next session when I'm unable to save :c

ANYWAY the link is broken!! https://www.loverslab.com/files/download/2885-skyrimtools-restringer-and-resaver/

does anyone know where i can get this?

That mod has now been combined into Fallrim Tools - (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/76776/?).  Also, Crash Fixes - (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72725/?) allows you to bypass the max-string corruption issue by allowing saves to go above the normal limit, and the modified saves it produces can still be cleaned using Fallrim Tools.  With this Restringer isn't required anymore.

1 hour ago, Reesewow said:

That mod has now been combined into Fallrim Tools - (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/76776/?).  Also, Crash Fixes - (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72725/?) allows you to bypass the max-string corruption issue by allowing saves to go above the normal limit, and the modified saves it produces can still be cleaned using Fallrim Tools.  With this Restringer isn't required anymore.

Use Crash Fixes, definitely.

ReStringer was a tool of desperation, meant only for the most ridiculous modders who insisted on installing LotD, Interesting NPCs, and every sex single mod available, and would not budge on that. And even then, it's an appallingly invasive tool. Crash Fixes is a far superior solution. No one should be using ReStringer for anything, ever.

5 minutes ago, markdf said:

Use Crash Fixes, definitely.

ReStringer was a tool of desperation, meant only for the most ridiculous modders who insisted on installing LotD, Interesting NPCs, and every sex single mod available, and would not budge on that. And even then, it's an appallingly invasive tool. Crash Fixes is a far superior solution. No one should be using ReStringer for anything, ever.

Yup, that was me, and it didn't even take that many mods after LOTD + Interesting NPCs to break the cap.  These days my load order is quite stable yet sitting at ~70k strings in my save files, the only issue being load times can be a bit long.  As someone who really hates starting new characters, Crash Fixes + Fallrim Tools is a lifesaver.

2 minutes ago, Reesewow said:

Yup, that was me, and it didn't even take that many mods after LOTD + Interesting NPCs to break the cap.  These days my load order is quite stable yet sitting at ~70k strings in my save files, the only issue being load times can be a bit long.  As someone who really hates starting new characters, Crash Fixes + Fallrim Tools is a lifesaver.

I'm the same way. :-)

Archived