XCOM 2 is confirmed November Release

Its supposed to have Mod Support as well.

Player made map Tools, full access to assets, and scripts.

Sounds like they really want to make it much easier to get big projects like Long War going with this new release.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/08/xcom-2s-exciting-modding-potential-ign-first

Too much to do in Fall 2015!

Unlike Fallout 4, there is a lot of Footage to see.

Cant find a pre-order.

Looks like it will have Steam Workshop Support, and they intend to make the full tools available.

I wonder if Steam is going to get in on this...modding business....

XCOM 2 will have Steam Workshop integration to make browsing, downloading, and installing the mods talented people create a one-click process.

I was thinking more along the lines of...paid mods.

I wonder if Steam is going to get in on this...modding business....

XCOM 2 will have Steam Workshop integration to make browsing, downloading, and installing the mods talented people create a one-click process.

I was thinking more along the lines of...paid mods.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please, no...

This could technically be a good thing; if you've ever used mods for Enemy Unknown/Within you know how clunky the thing was.

On the other hand, I'd rather not have Steam handling it. Hopefully either vanilla will be acceptably good, or they won't require you to pay for mods.

Fuck everything. XCOM 2 coming out can only mean one thing. Me, dying of an anger stroke because a squad member missed on a crucial 96% hit chance. FUCK EVERYTHING, LIFE IS OVER. AND XCOM 2 IS THE END OF ALL THINGS, COMMANDER...

cant wait....

Fallout 4 can show itself where the sun doesn't shine. Mark my words, they will fuck it up big time, and as usual it's up to modders to fix it. I'm tired of the shit.

Now Xcom 2 is something I do look forward too! Sadly I haven't completed the the first one yet :P

As soon as I start, I get distracted and do something else.

Fuck everything. XCOM 2 coming out can only mean one thing. Me, dying of an anger stroke because a squad member missed on a crucial 96% hit chance. FUCK EVERYTHING, LIFE IS OVER. AND XCOM 2 IS THE END OF ALL THINGS, COMMANDER...

cant wait....

TPK including Van Doorn, Annette, Zhang is bad enough...

But they were all killed by SECTOID PLASMA PISTOLS. Insult to injury.

I've read through the IGN articles and Jack said a few cool things about the game already.

The game will have his 2 point action system but he believes the modding tools will allow for fans to recreate the old school system. ( I prefer the 2 pt system but Im aware a lot of fans might not )

Procedural Maps, Random.

The maps work like a Quilt Blanket.  Quilt's are built of artistically rendered squares with a border.  So say you get a Forrest map the plan is for the game to have 80 available squares to pick from to build the map.  The idea being that it will be random enough to prevent knowing exactly how you should move your troops, while at the same time keeping a high level of detail.

A modder can basically build a square assign it to a map type and assign anything special to it, like if the map has an objective flag for it.

They had to do it this way cause the squares have so many more features like fully destructible terrain.  They also said making just one square takes a lot of time.

Sounds very familiar to XCOM ufo defense.

Jake said that the game for right now was PC exclusive.  Something about how it was just easier for them to concentrate on just one platform and then consider later if they will put it on consul.  IGN speculated that the game didn't do well on consul and finding facts was difficult.

Jake Soloman stated that their intention is to make this release very mod friendly and they very much want to have the same amount of popularity of other modded titles such as Civ 5 and Skyrim.  The game is being designed from the start with that in mind and he and other team mates mentioned Long War mod.

more features like fully destructible terrain.

I remember reading somewhere that it would include destructible floors and ceilings too? I wonder how they'll handle that... I'd love to see aliens (or soldiers) take a couple points of damage from falling down, scaling up depending on height.

Ooh... that reminds me... I'd love to see higher heights too! C'mon, ten story buildings!

One of my favorite (in the so-irritating-it's-good way) things about Apocalypse (and the original X-Com, for that matter) was the lone alien hiding in a corner of the map somewhere and you'd have to hunt the fucker down.

What i would like is a branching weapon tree. That means not the bullets<laser<plasma

But more of each category being available from start and upgrades consist of modifications/attachments. with each weapon having some kind of character and not just in terms of stats but gameplay mechanics, i.e

bullets provide more lethal suppression and environmental destructions with forcefield piercing capabilites but may deal slightly lower damage to other types of units.

lasers are amazing organic killers with long range and pinpoint enemies to other units (sort of a team squadsight on successful hit) but they reveal your location and reduce the person firing's cover bonus (due to being revealed) and have short ammo clips

Plasma are good cybernetic killers without a need to reload but requires a 2 turn cooldown (that always starts counting as long as you did not fire for that turn) or a 3 turn cooldown if you overheat

It would give another element of class building mechanics and well i like the sound of the gun fire from the game. Though if these wasnt implemented i doubt its going to change anything since the game is gonna be out in nov which would mean most of the development is already finished

I went on a binge over XCOM Enemy Unknown, but for whatever reason never play the DLC and the Enemy Within expansion.

I am weary of the random map tho. As limited as the number of map EU has (although I was fine with it) it was designed in a way where tactical advantage/disadvantage are involved with picking and choosing how to engage the enemy base on available resources, and player learn from their mistake. A randomly generated map might diminished the tactical aspect with situations that are generic, boring, or completely fucked.

I went on a binge over XCOM Enemy Unknown, but for whatever reason never play the DLC and the Enemy Within expansion.

I am weary of the random map tho. As limited as the number of map EU has (although I was fine with it) it was designed in a way where tactical advantage/disadvantage are involved with picking and choosing how to engage the enemy base on available resources, and player learn from their mistake. A randomly generated map might diminished the tactical aspect with situations that are generic, boring, or completely fucked.

It's set up in blocks... that is, the "random" aspect comes from which building or section of forest or whatever goes where. You won't get any borked obstacles or something like that.

Learning from your mistakes, getting better at specific tactical combat for specific maps will still happen... it's just instead of saying "Oh, this is map X, I should deploy my troops like this" you'll instead say "Oh, I see this map has building X, building Y, and building Z, so I should deploy my troops this way instead."

Fuck fallout 4, gime that naou!

But I'm bit afraid about that moving base(ufo) aspec - no base building?

Oh, I dunno, I can see it happening quite nicely.

"The laboratory needs new equipment, go on this mission and recover this apparatus and bring it back."

"Our troops need a better stocked medbay. Upgrading will cost X amount of money."

That sort of thing.

EDIT: Or modular containers or something... that actually makes a bit more sense, considering how they're doing map construction.

Your ship is a converted supply ship, so it probably starts out empty with a bunch of cargo bays, and then you can fill the various cargo bays with the various types of structures. Might be interesting to see base battle maps depend on exactly how your "base" is constructed.

It's set up in blocks... that is, the "random" aspect comes from which building or section of forest or whatever goes where. You won't get any borked obstacles or something like that.

Learning from your mistakes, getting better at specific tactical combat for specific maps will still happen... it's just instead of saying "Oh, this is map X, I should deploy my troops like this" you'll instead say "Oh, I see this map has building X, building Y, and building Z, so I should deploy my troops this way instead."

Fuck fallout 4, gime that naou!

But I'm bit afraid about that moving base(ufo) aspec - no base building?

Oh, I dunno, I can see it happening quite nicely.

"The laboratory needs new equipment, go on this mission and recover this apparatus and bring it back."

"Our troops need a better stocked medbay. Upgrading will cost X amount of money."

That sort of thing.

EDIT: Or modular containers or something... that actually makes a bit more sense, considering how they're doing map construction.

Your ship is a converted supply ship, so it probably starts out empty with a bunch of cargo bays, and then you can fill the various cargo bays with the various types of structures. Might be interesting to see base battle maps depend on exactly how your "base" is constructed.

There was one ufo clone that alredy had moving base (laputasomething), and I didn't like it much. Best gameplay what clones had to offer had ufo afterlight (never liked it settings, it set on mars - but gameplay was sweat, ah and sadly no air battles :( )

God that makes me wish for apocalypse remake - modable remake that is. I always wanted to play diablo or psycho organizations.

This could be easily circumvented if they allow to scan the map to have a rough idea of its landscape right before assigning who to participate in the mission no?